Austen Record Convention Texas October 2010

Incredible fair -Firstly Vince picked up your message on the sat and i was so hung over lol-we were slaughtered drunk on the friday evening in Austen lol-I asked where you were on the saturday but could not find you.The fair was fantastic IMHO all or most of the big sellers present -really good wind up material LOL!! Me and me good mate Gaz Simon averaged about $10 dollers per tune and when you see the stuff and book prices well this definelty refutes the addage that bargains in the states cant be had.

Examples been a mint white stoppers demo for $50 -REGGIE SOUL FOR $100 and i suppose the bargain of my bunch of 45s a mint barbara mercer -you better stop for $150 [a record very hard on the issue and now fetching real cash]got some great funk including the dinas traack on MR G and lots of other bits and pieces like a right on judy mint white demo for $4.

Myy mate Gaz got the snip of the bunch a mint white columbia demo of Sharon Mc mahon for $4 [last one went for big money on well respected sites]when your getting £100 to £200 quid records book wise for $10 to $20 then it has to be worth the journey!! we both got 50-60 items bloody all sorts of stuff to be had but by the end of the Saturday we were knackered -the old hangover kicked in-we scouted other ares as well and again picked up stuff in San Antonio but our temperance was waiving thin by then and we needed to head back to Dallas for sanity reasons.

Bumped into Marc Limar who mentioned the signatures re his show from soul source and he was flattered by the support and it meant alot to him,pics of him with me and Gaz S,Texas is a a great place to visit -hope you enjoy the pics etc,see you all either next year [probable or the year after definite]

iVE POSTED A PIC OF A PLACK DEVOTED TO ROBERT JOHNSON THE BLUES LEDGEND HE PLAYED AT THE GUNTER NORTAN HOTEL AND WE STAYED THERE ON THE SUNDAY EVENING -THE HOTELS WALLS ARE COVERED IN BLUES MEMORABELIA IF YOU EVER GET THE CHANCE PLEASE SEEK IT OUT -YOU CAN FEEL YOUR SOUL BEEN SOLD AT THE CROSSROADS LOL.

BAZ A

post-4276-024163300 1287745721_thumb.jpg

post-4276-005488900 1287745822_thumb.jpg

post-4276-065475500 1287745912_thumb.jpg

post-4276-083891400 1287746000_thumb.jpg

post-4276-006095700 1287746093_thumb.jpg

post-4276-007992200 1287746225_thumb.jpg

post-4276-080021700 1287746314_thumb.jpg

post-4276-006341700 1287746422_thumb.jpg

post-4276-095816400 1287746581_thumb.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Incredible fair -Firstly Vince picked up your message on the sat and i was so hung over lol-we were slaughtered drunk on the friday evening in Austen lol-I asked where you were on the saturday but could not find you.The fair was fantastic IMHO all or most of the big sellers present -really good wind up material LOL!! Me and me good mate Gaz Simon averaged about $10 dollers per tune and when you see the stuff and book prices well this definelty refutes the addage that bargains in the states cant be had.

Examples been a mint white stoppers demo for $50 -REGGIE SOUL FOR $100 and i suppose the bargain of my bunch of 45s a mint barbara mercer -you better stop for $150 [a record very hard on the issue and now fetching real cash]got some great funk including the dinas traack on MR G and lots of other bits and pieces like a right on judy mint white demo for $4.

Myy mate Gaz got the snip of the bunch a mint white columbia demo of Sharon Mc mahon for $4 [last one went for big money on well respected sites]when your getting £100 to £200 quid records book wise for $10 to $20 then it has to be worth the journey!! we both got 50-60 items bloody all sorts of stuff to be had but by the end of the Saturday we were knackered -the old hangover kicked in-we scouted other ares as well and again picked up stuff in San Antonio but our temperance was waiving thin by then and we needed to head back to Dallas for sanity reasons.

Bumped into Marc Limar who mentioned the signatures re his show from soul source and he was flattered by the support and it meant alot to him,pics of him with me and Gaz S,Texas is a a great place to visit -hope you enjoy the pics etc,see you all either next year [probable or the year after definite]

iVE POSTED A PIC OF A PLACK DEVOTED TO ROBERT JOHNSON THE BLUES LEDGEND HE PLAYED AT THE GUNTER NORTAN HOTEL AND WE STAYED THERE ON THE SUNDAY EVENING -THE HOTELS WALLS ARE COVERED IN BLUES MEMORABELIA IF YOU EVER GET THE CHANCE PLEASE SEEK IT OUT -YOU CAN FEEL YOUR SOUL BEEN SOLD AT THE CROSSROADS LOL.

BAZ A

Nice one Baz. Well done!

When I was last there in '89 it was a running battle with the Japanese and their U-Haul trailers to see who could get to the good stuff first. At the time the Japs would just go to a stall have a quick flick through and simply ask, "how much for everything"? The yen to dollar rate was crazy at the time I seem to remember, so those guys were just buying up everything in bulk.........

It looks a lot more civilised these days. Brought back a lot of memories of getting back to the hotel room with the haul and playing through 'em! Great stuff!

Ian D :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

lol Ian you would of pissed yourself laughing all the japanese had masks on to prevent the germs of vinyl lol,dont know whats happening over there but masks at record fairs was a bit much-there were very much out in force however as me and Gaz DID NOT GET MUCH SWEET AND DEEP SOUL LOL,think alot of it went to a certain collector who seemed to pop up everywhere-the same collector sells on ebay alot and will be well known to certain people lol!!

Nice one Baz. Well done!

When I was last there in '89 it was a running battle with the Japanese and their U-Haul trailers to see who could get to the good stuff first. At the time the Japs would just go to a stall have a quick flick through and simply ask, "how much for everything"? The yen to dollar rate was crazy at the time I seem to remember, so those guys were just buying up everything in bulk.........

It looks a lot more civilised these days. Brought back a lot of memories of getting back to the hotel room with the haul and playing through 'em! Great stuff!

Ian D :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

lol Ian you would of pissed yourself laughing all the japanese had masks on to prevent the germs of vinyl lol,dont know whats happening over there but masks at record fairs was a bit much-there were very much out in force however as me and Gaz DID NOT GET MUCH SWEET AND DEEP SOUL

Now, now the masks are worn over here to prevent the person giving/spreading their germs (true).

Mind you, considering the dirt, dust and grime that records can accumilate in their travels maybe the guys did use them in order to prevent the nasty germs attacking them and stop them from vacuuming up all the goodies to bring back to Japan...and then offer them to me for peanuts!

:sweatingbullets:

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

lol hope your well Dave!!

Now, now the masks are worn over here to prevent the person giving spreading their germs (true).

Mind you, considering the dirt, dust and grime that records can accumilate in their travels maybe the guys did use them in reverse in order to prevent the nasty germs attacking them and stop them from vacuuming up all the goodies to bring back to Japan...and then offer them to me for peanuts!

:sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Now, now the masks are worn over here to prevent the person giving/spreading their germs (true).

Mind you, considering the dirt, dust and grime that records can accumilate in their travels maybe the guys did use them in order to prevent the nasty germs attacking them and stop them from vacuuming up all the goodies to bring back to Japan...and then offer them to me for peanuts!

:ohmy:

You see, I always had your number right from the word go Dave. F*ckin' far too calculating and obsessive for my own personal wellbeing in those days LOL. :D

So this Japan thing was a long-term game-plan right? :thumbsup:

Brilliant strategy. I gotta hand it to you but it doesn't surprise me one bit. The very first shop I went to when I got to L.A. in '76 had two Japanese Soul collectors who were obviously examining the same type of stuff as me. They didn't know "Seven The Loser" by Eric Lomax so luckily I scored the 6 copies. But they got everything else 'cos they bought it all.

The buying power of the Japanese and their interest in obscure Soul music was already a pain in the ass (for me as a digger) in the mid 70's, but now I hear stories about Japanese collectors who were trawling Detroit in '69 and, in some cases, getting mailed new releases from labels like La Beat etc.

You seem to hit stuff out there almost on a weekly basis, so I'm almost beginning to wonder if there's a better hit-rate in Japan than the U.S. these

days? :ohmy:

Is Japan the Bostocks Market of the Far East I ask myself?

I'm curious as to how many serious Soul collectors there were in Japan in the late 60's and whether any sort of Soul collectors scene existed. It's not an area that's been extensively documented (unlike, say, Jap Prog Rock or Jap Jazz-Funk etc, etc), however, rumours of bespoke fantastic personal collections and warehouses continue to persist.

But hey. You've been out there for a while so it's gotta be OK hasn't it?

You should start a great finds in the Far East thread! :lol:

Ian D :ohmy:

Social source share

You see, I always had your number right from the word go Dave. F*ckin' far too calculating and obsessive for my own personal wellbeing in those days LOL. :thumbup:

snip

You seem to hit stuff out there almost on a weekly basis, so I'm almost beginning to wonder if there's a better hit-rate in Japan than the U.S. these

days? :D

snip

You should start a great finds in the Far East thread! :g:

Me, calculating and obsessive, with my reputation.... :thumbsup:

Yes, I find interesting stuff every week, but I put in the ground work and am digging EVERY weekend...have been for 6 years now...love it in a calculating obsessive way...kinda like folk flying over to record conventions in Texas, eh Baz?! I think the language barrier has prevented most from trying their luck over here, not to mention that often record shops are hidden away! However, the discs are here (Soul more than Northern) and have been trapped on this island for a long time...my job is to liberate them for y'all! 'Far East Finds'...I used to do that on RareSoulForum.co.uk, but if you wanna know what I find just check the Sales Section on a regular basis!

:huh:

Back to the Convention thread...were there any big pieces there Baz, or any interesting gossip about who found what lately over there? :(

Social source share

hard pushed on £1k plus stuff Dave although one dealer had 3 or 4 modern items priced well over £1k which i found very overly priced,the fair was awesome for stuff under 500 quid -ive just rifled my stuff again and cant believe i got stuff lke shep mint -love reputation on tarpoon etc for 15 quid -tyrone davis on abc for 20 quid etc-all records that in the uk would be 60 quid plus mint.Really think the fair is for the thinking man looking for stuff just bubbling under the surface-interestingf stuff that could be broke -played 3 last night one by franki newsome one by jimmy grahmne and a funky thing by the greer brothers that all would fit very well on todays scene.In relation to deep and sweet it really is there for the taking but i spend all year picking that stuff up and if i get the chance on cheap northern the stoppers on a demo for 50 bux i aint gonna pass on[bloody recor hounds lol]not much gosspi dave except most dealers asking for the earth and been told flatly that old blighty is in recession and we want their records for nowt lol!!

Me, calculating and obsessive, with my reputation.... :thumbsup:

Yes, I find interesting stuff every week, but I put in the ground work and am digging EVERY weekend...have been for 6 years now...love it in a calculating obsessive way...kinda like folk flying over to record conventions in Texas, eh Baz?! I think the language barrier has prevented most from trying their luck over here, not to mention that often record shops are hidden away! However, the discs are here (Soul more than Northern) and have been trapped on this island for a long time...my job is to liberate them for y'all! 'Far East Finds'...I used to do that on RareSoulForum.co.uk, but if you wanna know what I find just check the Sales Section on a regular basis!

:huh:

Back to the Convention thread...were there any big pieces there Baz, or any interesting gossip about who found what lately over there? :(

Social source share

the shhhh.......ARC story is that at least one $1000 northern 45 was bought & then onsold to the UK for $1600 later that evening.... :lol:

Japan is crazy, if you have the money you can basically get any record you want. Japanman has been pillaging the US consistently for 20 years, dudes will just rent a U-Haul truck, drive & buy until it is filled with records, ship them back to Japan & repeat..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

THANKS SEBASTIAN YOUR RIGHT TIS THE RE-ISSUE NOT SEEN A PROPER ONE -BOUGHT FOR THE FAB FLIP WHICH I LOVE FISHHEAD AINT TO BAD EITHER !!

Looks like the re-issue to me.

The original is easy to spot, it has got the "#CAL 200" text further down on the label.

Compare below, ORIGINAL to the left and RE-ISSUE to the right:

post-1392-034602100 1287930659_thumb.jpg post-1392-044188600 1287930660_thumb.jpg

Social source share

great find indeed -i was very busy rehydrating on the sat lol,bet there was other bits and pieces of the same magnitude-every time i thought id had most of the stuff scanned more poped up lol,then all the dealers with boxed behind their stalls etc.

just heard Earl Jackson "Soul Self Satisfaction" was got for 50cents ohmy.gif

Social source share

The buying power of the Japanese and their interest in obscure Soul music was already a pain in the ass (for me as a digger) in the mid 70's, but now I hear stories about Japanese collectors who were trawling Detroit in '69 and, in some cases, getting mailed new releases from labels like La Beat etc.

Ian, that's astonishing. Bizarre! A great idea, of course. Were there enterprising collectors in the 60's from these shores doing that? Apart from industry people like John Abbey abd Dave Godin, I mean?

Social source share

Found the Sharon McMahan - get out of my life in the very first box i looked in, guy wanted $5 offered him 3 got it for 4, what a start.....

Found Stan Devereux - sad tomorrows on Sujay misfiled in a box marked "blues" for buttons....

Got boat loads of Duke / Backbeat stuff out of a 50cent box including Carl Carlton - i can feel it.....

More out of the 50 cent box...... Ronnie Milsap - total disaster / Showmen - Our love will grow (issue) / Viola Wills - i got love on Bronco....

Archie Bell - Old People / Sundray Tucker - if it was me / Spaniels - Maybe,... a dollar a piece....

A nice modern thing by Premium on Soulin for $15 / Chris Jones on Goodie Train also $15

Paid $40 for James Knight & the Butlers - Baby please pretty please on Cat... (didnt know this wow what a tune)

$30 for Chester Randles Soul Senders on Anla...nice plus loads of collection fillers Curtom 45s for a dollar each....

Is it worth going to....absolutely.....this was my third time and best of the lot......and Texas is fantastic. There are 245 dealer tables there and lots of bargains to be had but requires a lot of digging.

Baz forgot to mention he got Rose Brooks for $50 or so and a philharmonics on soulin for $30 (cos i found em for him)

i think the 1000 dollar record mentioned above was John & the wierdest, i saw it on the Friday but it wasnt there on the Saturday so must have been on its way back here........im certain it was an original and certainly cheap at that price but me and Baz werent there to buy 1000 dollar records

Really enjoyed the trip...Baz you were a star.

Gaz

Social source share

Thanks for the wonderful company Gaz was a top trip laughed constantly for 7 nights will email you the pics etc mate-yes Rose brooks and philharmoncs [you found alot more for me good friend]i was racking my brains last night re that chester randell track -it is absolutely brilliant as is the track on ston roc that you put me onto played itso many times yesterday -the track on CAT is awesome - he had 2 philharmonics mate the other was mint -but he wanted 75 bux [cheeky bugger].

Your rght mate we went for soul and funk across thE board and not exspensive records -plenty of them in the uk,dontthink we were dissapointed-will catch u soon mate and yes i have your laminated maps.

BAZ A

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

Found the Sharon McMahan - get out of my life in the very first box i looked in, guy wanted $5 offered him 3 got it for 4, what a start.....

Found Stan Devereux - sad tomorrows on Sujay misfiled in a box marked "blues" for buttons....

Got boat loads of Duke / Backbeat stuff out of a 50cent box including Carl Carlton - i can feel it.....

More out of the 50 cent box...... Ronnie Milsap - total disaster / Showmen - Our love will grow (issue) / Viola Wills - i got love on Bronco....

Archie Bell - Old People / Sundray Tucker - if it was me / Spaniels - Maybe,... a dollar a piece....

A nice modern thing by Premium on Soulin for $15 / Chris Jones on Goodie Train also $15

Paid $40 for James Knight & the Butlers - Baby please pretty please on Cat... (didnt know this wow what a tune)

$30 for Chester Randles Soul Senders on Anla...nice plus loads of collection fillers Curtom 45s for a dollar each....

Is it worth going to....absolutely.....this was my third time and best of the lot......and Texas is fantastic. There are 245 dealer tables there and lots of bargains to be had but requires a lot of digging.

Baz forgot to mention he got Rose Brooks for $50 or so and a philharmonics on soulin for $30 (cos i found em for him)

i think the 1000 dollar record mentioned above was John & the wierdest, i saw it on the Friday but it wasnt there on the Saturday so must have been on its way back here........im certain it was an original and certainly cheap at that price but me and Baz werent there to buy 1000 dollar records

Really enjoyed the trip...Baz you were a star.

Gaz

And all listened to, if not known already, via your newly acquired Crosley Revolution. :(

Let me know if you find anything out regarding wireless earphones Gaz, using the wireless capability of the afore mentioned 'Revolution'. I'll do likewise if I find out how to make it work first.

Just imagine it, Sound Burgers with wireless headphones. Oooerrr!!! That'll save a lot of heartache / accidents won't it. :yes:

Denbo.

PS - Thorsten was there. He was EVERYWHERE!!! :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert