A New Lp From Detroit

A few years ago I was given a private pressed cd album that had been recorded in Detroit over 18 month period. It was an interesting mix of all new contemporary soul recordings by a bunch of talented Detroit musicians. I was so taken by it, and one track in particular 'Give it what you got', that I met up with them to learn more.

As a result I got involved in putting out some more material from these guys. My role has been mainly that of business angle and have not tried to influence the making of the music, as i felt that would affect it's purity. The results are now just about ready for release, we will be putting out a limited 200 pressing vinyl LP and there will also be a CD a few months later. The LP will come with 8 tracks, one from the first CD 'Give it what you got', which I just love and 7 new tracks. The CD will have 12 tracks on it and where they are the same as the LP, many will have different mixes.

I often here people say no new good soul music is being made, thats untrue, but with the age old problem of funding, the new ones of how to distribute and get your music heard, it's fair to say less is. I'm so, so plaesed to be bringing this to market, hope you guys will find it interesting.

Below is a track from the LP I have posted before, but hopefully this will give you a flavour of what will be coming, real songs, by real musicians

funk factor - give it what you got -

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sounds really nice. Missed the Refo soul post the first time around, so glad to finally have discovered this great new band. Going by the name, are they primarily a "funk" band or "soul" group you´d say? If you do promos, I wouldn´t mind featuring it in a podcast of mine, it´s a showcase of everything from 60´s soul to brand new releases and this one would fit in just nicely. If interested, you can drop me a PM.

Social source share

It's always refreshing to read and hear about new musical endeavors. Good luck with the project.

Hi Carl

Thanks for that, I know you unstand the trials of an endeavor like this. But I have to say the magic has come from the muscians, producers and arrangers in Detroit. As you know it is still a city of so much talent, all they need is a little money, bags of encouragement and a little help getting it out there.

Social source share

A few years ago I was given a private pressed cd album that had been recorded in Detroit over 18 month period. It was an interesting mix of all new contemporary soul recordings by a bunch of talented Detroit musicians. I was so taken by it, and one track in particular 'Give it what you got', that I met up with them to learn more.

As a result I got involved in putting out some more material from these guys. My role has been mainly that of business angle and have not tried to influence the making of the music, as i felt that would affect it's purity. The results are now just about ready for release, we will be putting out a limited 200 pressing vinyl LP and there will also be a CD a few months later. The LP will come with 8 tracks, one from the first CD 'Give it what you got', which I just love and 7 new tracks. The CD will have 12 tracks on it and where they are the same as the LP, many will have different mixes.

I often here people say no new good soul music is being made, thats untrue, but with the age old problem of funding, the new ones of how to distribute and get your music heard, it's fair to say less is. I'm so, so plaesed to be bringing this to market, hope you guys will find it interesting.

Below is a track from the LP I have posted before, but hopefully this will give you a flavour of what will be coming, real songs, by real musicians

Cheers

Dave

How good is that!!! Sounds great!!!

Edited by Polly Matthies
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi Dave -

Yes, I can appreciate the process so far. It really is an eye opener. From the incarnation of the songs in the first place to the record pressing!!! I still have not done a CD yet, because I am a little confused with the business etc, but my next step is to consider a Detroit CD, plus I need to up my game with publishing. To get TV play at Sky for example, I need to be or be affiliated with a publisher. There is no way sales are ever going to earn much with my PR and attitude. I need to exploit the story and push the digital media to as many radio stations as possible. I have allies now, and any other works I record, can be forwarded to them. Also to the many individuals who have bought the 45's and digital downloads. CD baby supplies their emails, so I can follow up if needs be. What I have done and very proud of is pay Spyder, Pree and Dennis a cash royalty even though I have not recovered my pressing expenses. All the musicians on the session were Detroit music union affilates, so I also paid a good proce for their work and contributed to their pension fund. So, I can appreciate yours and their endeavors to be creative and record their ideas. Let's hope there are sdecent sales and airplay for them.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Cheers

Dave

Nice one Dave, always interested in Detroit "output" from most eras, and would also be interested in the vinyl release!

Edited by wilxy
Social source share

Cheers

Dave

A excellent choice for release Dave, real soul on real vinyl a future rarity in the making :thumbsup:

Dave

Soul Junction

Social source share

Cheers

Dave

Seems to have posted twice ,best of luck anyway

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Cheers

Dave

Great stuff, i'll definitely be buying it! :thumbsup::lamsey::elvis:

Ste.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!