Revolution Club Sutton-In -Ashfield/mansfield/notts

ulyssees

Hi all.

Bit of a local one this for people in the Mansfield area.

What memories does anyone have of the Revolution club in Sutton.

This place certainly kick started a few soul carreers. Probably only held about 250 bodies but the music was top notch. If I recall correctly it ran from 67-70, a real sweatbox of a place. Saw a good few live acts there as well including, Al Green, Jimmy James, Inez & Charlie Foxx, Tammi Lynn. Was more a venue for up and coming soulers who were about to make the jump to places like the Dungeon, Wheel, Junction, beachcomber and the like. Though a few of the older lads in on a Friday night.

Would love to see a photo of this place from back in the day.

Keep on the good foot.

Yule

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi all.

This place certainly kick started a few soul carreers. Probably only held about 250 bodies but the music was top notch. If I recall correctly it ran from 67-70, a real sweatbox of a place. Saw a good few live acts there as well including, Al Green, Jimmy James, Inez & Charlie Foxx, Tammi Lynn. Was more a venue for up and coming soulers who were about to make the jump to places like the Dungeon, Wheel, Junction, beachcomber and the like. Though a few of the older lads in on a Friday night.

Keep on the good foot.

Yule

Friday nights Petal capacity 120 Brian used to shove 150 to 175 in and Sunday Nights With Sunshine Jimmy still looks the part according to Errol (Narvel )Baldwin

Jim has coloured hair and doesnt look a day older than when he was DJing

Photos Circa 1970 not a lot of Box Brownies stood up to the battering so can remember the stage Back right ,the Bar Area in front and right of dance floor opposite wall to the Stage and the dressing rooms to the right of Bar and fire exit same place never unlocked till about 10.30 so no one could creep in

Brian was also the man who did the Skeggy Festival with Inez and Charlie Foxx and a few other bands lost a load on that,

And was called Burtons b4 it was the Rev and can remember those steps loaded with people and the queue round the corner waiting to get in

First heard Breakout there and Petal in 69 was the dj pushing the long version of Chicago' Im A Man as one of his spots plus Tony Joe Whites Roosevelt and Ira Lee and Polk Salad Annie as a double play ending one starting with other in unison Many memories

And some wonderful Characters AL,Bluey,Errol and Anne, Mary Hayes names aint heard of in years And Petal (Keith )is still in contact with Rob Smith to this day

Burtons then the Rev and then oblivion 1971 Brian sold all the Revolution Records to Rob Smith picked up a few Memories Atlantic records stamped with the revolution

good days only a young man then

LOL

Social source share

Hi all.

Keep on the good foot.

Yule

Off the record Sutton in Ashfield & Mansfield didnt get on in the 60ts & 70ts.......A few battles i know for a fact......Mansfield being obviously stags fans and sutton in ashfield for some strange reason.. being Nottingham forest fans:shhh: .....I didnt go to the Revolution but i know folk who did..

Social source share

Off the record Sutton in Ashfield & Mansfield didnt get on in the 60ts & 70ts.......A few battles i know for a fact......Mansfield being obviously stags fans and sutton in ashfield for some strange reason.. being Nottingham forest fans:shhh: .....I didnt go to the Revolution but i know folk who did..

Mansfield was the centre anyone from Sutton and Kirkby Nightmare

Bilsthorpe and Ollerton same Nightmare

Warsop and Welbeck same

for some reason Stags fans had a rep similar to Millwalls today and any new face got a good looking at if they werent from the area

so yes was a litle precarious in Mansfield

But if you went from Mansfield you had the same problem

good days

Edited by Makemvinyl
Social source share

Guest biggray1

Hi all.

Keep on the good foot.

Yule

Hayup mate,was a regular at the Rev way until it closed and then turned into The Paraquestic wich was a Pop Disco.Seen may of the acts ,Al Green.Tammi Lynn Jimmy James etc,allways a packed nite and bloody hot to.Also used too go to Mansfield Swan,and Mansfield Palais.The cool days.

Social source share

Hayup mate,was a regular at the Rev way until it closed and then turned into The Paraquestic wich was a Pop Disco.Seen may of the acts ,Al Green.Tammi Lynn Jimmy James etc,allways a packed nite and bloody hot to.Also used too go to Mansfield Swan,and Mansfield Palais.The cool days.

Hi Graham.Cool days indeed.You one of the faces.:yes:

It was named the Pyrocoustic,but still called the Rev i think.Sunday nights maybe.Vague memories of Wigan,then home.Hanging around till Sunday then above Hardy Smith's till i collapsed.

Those Shades Boys still out and about.

Not much has changed there.biggrin.gif .

Stork Club Hucknall anyone?

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Love threads like this. Never knew this place existed (10 or more years before I got involved with the scene) and it was only 8 or so miles from where I was brought up (Eastwood).

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Not much has changed there.:D .

Stork Club Hucknall anyone?

Where and when was that Kev?

Someone will be telling me Brian 45 Phillips played at the Shipley Boat next :hatsoff2:

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Thanks for the replies guys.

I also remember Laurie DJing there on Sundays with Jimmy. There used to be a Wednesday evening session as well but can't remember who spun the records. Kev Roberts Who is a local Sutton lad gave the Rev a mention on the "Roots of northern soul" CD. I can also remember people dancing on the stage because the floor was packed. Other excellent bands that played there were "Soul Committee", a Sam & Dave style revue and "The Fantastics", 4 Tops, Temps style outfit. Have good memories of one of the Soul Committee sumersaulting from the stage onto the dancefloor. Few names I can recall are Jane Ely, Kenny Turner (great dancer), Erroll. The place itself is a health club now, Had a walk up the stairs for old times sake and the memories came flooding back, great days (nights).

KOKO

Yule.

Social source share

Someone will be telling me Brian 45 Phillips played at the Shipley Boat next laugh.gif

No Bryney , but Derek Allen did every Thursday or Friday night not sure now. His signiture tune was Supergirl - Graham Bonny. Just shows how long ago that was.

Edited by MAK
Social source share

• 8 months later...
Guest johnny Lynn

Great to read all the comments about the Revolution at Sutton.. i can recall most of the acts mentioned.Hard to beleive this happened in the down town Sutton of today[Can you remember Brians wife with black back combed hair do?}

Sutton Baths had it fare share of top Bands as well...

But hey Sutton had a great Mod scene with the Sutton 7th Scootery. Pop Jones Vespa...Ary Vespa..Johnny Wood Lamberetta..Pete Harper Vespa..Stu Butler and I tagged on on my Lamberetta Gt2oo.Porland Square was the meeting place... then off down Mansfield to the Bells via The Newcastle Arms.

I went to the Skeggy all dayer on a double decker coachparty that ran from Sutton and remember Amen Corner being one of the acts!!! along with Carol Taylor a great Sutton Moddy girl.l..I cant remember much else.

I did bump into Petal about 15 years ago playing soul sounds at Notts Palais!

Well who would have thought it we all still love the music.. By the way i went to the Stork Club but all i can remember is that i didnt rate it much..

All The Best

Johnny Lynn

post-25121-0-20717500-1311012418_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest roggert

Thanks for the replies guys.

I also remember Laurie DJing there on Sundays with Jimmy. There used to be a Wednesday evening session as well but can't remember who spun the records. Kev Roberts Who is a local Sutton lad gave the Rev a mention on the "Roots of northern soul" CD. I can also remember people dancing on the stage because the floor was packed. Other excellent bands that played there were "Soul Committee", a Sam & Dave style revue and "The Fantastics", 4 Tops, Temps style outfit. Have good memories of one of the Soul Committee sumersaulting from the stage onto the dancefloor. Few names I can recall are Jane Ely, Kenny Turner (great dancer), Erroll. The place itself is a health club now, Had a walk up the stairs for old times sake and the memories came flooding back, great days (nights).

KOKO

Yule.

havent heard the fantastics mentioned for years -they were part of a geezers stable of acts pretending to be big name acts -the fantastic temptations!

the fantastic supremes!! became a chart topping group known as the three degrees a couple of years later

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Great to read all the comments about the Revolution at Sutton.. i can recall most of the acts mentioned.Hard to beleive this happened in the down town Sutton of today[Can you remember Brians wife with black back combed hair do?}

But hey Sutton had a great Mod scene with the Sutton 7th Scootery. Pop Jones Vespa...Ary Vespa..Johnny Wood Lamberetta..Pete Harper Vespa..Stu Butler and I tagged on on my Lamberetta Gt2oo.Porland Square was the meeting place... then off down Mansfield to the Bells via The Newcastle Arms.

I went to the Skeggy all dayer on a double decker coachparty that ran from Sutton and remember Amen Corner being one of the acts!!! along with Carol Taylor a great Sutton Moddy girl.l..I cant remember much else.

Well who would have thought it we all still love the music.. By the way i went to the Stork Club but all i can remember is that i didnt rate it much..

All The Best

Johnny Lynn

Ayup Johnny

Coming from near Ripley, going across to the REV which was great at the time or the Swan in Mansfield was putting your life in their hands!

ps Haven't seen you since the Olde English c73

Shelly

Social source share

Ayup Johnny

Coming from near Ripley, going across to the REV which was great at the time or the Swan in Mansfield was putting your life in their hands!

ps Haven't seen you since the Olde English c73

Shelly

Olde English? Concrete sloping dancefloor ?

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

No Bryney , but Derek Allen did every Thursday or Friday night not sure now. His signiture tune was Supergirl - Graham Bonny. Just shows how long ago that was.

Mak, As you and some of the other posters on this thread know, i was a Stabbo lad and at that time our lot and the LE crew

frequented The Blue Ball at Risley, which became The Golden Eagle :thumbsup:

First heard Supergirl there as a 14yr old Fookn blew me away :yes:

Wonder if Ady or Butch might give it a spin at the 100 club a week on Saturday :lol:

Best

Paul

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Mak, As you and some of the other posters on this thread know, i was a Stabbo lad and at that time our lot and the LE crew

Wonder if Ady or Butch might give it a spin at the 100 club a week on Saturday :lol:

Best

Paul

LoL I hope to fcuk not , more chance of your bum hole healing up . .. Anyway how you keeping sir .

Edited by MAK
Social source share

Best

Paul

LoL , more chance of your bum hole healing up . Anyway how you keeping sir .

All The Best

Johnny Lynn

Blimey , now theres a name from way back . Being a Ripley lad I used to knock about with the Sutton Scooter lads ,more so the younger ones . There where a couple of brothers , one called Ches I believe along with Bomber (Graham , Bigray on Soul-Souce) good days indeed.

Social source share

• 11 months later...
Guest Notrut

Nice to hear stories about the Rev, I remember seeing James and Bobby Purify there, but Sutton had more the baths with, Geno, The Foundations, even Status Quo, also The Oval up Carsic, what about The Pitiful Souls playing there, The Fours Tops in Nottingam. grat memories

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Good to see this thread popping up again. Walked by the old place recently and has now re-opened as commercial premises and called....Revolution! Coincidence or someone in the know. I seem to remember Petal running a pirate soul station from his spare room mostly playing Geoff King bootlegs.

Good to see Sutton baths getting a mention, the pool was emptied and boarded over for dance nights featuring such people as The Equals, Amen Corner, BB King, Garnet Mimms not strictly a soul night but music was more soul than pop.

A typical week in Sutton then would have been,Sunday Revolution, Monday, Oval Tuesday Potmakers, Wednesday Revolution, Thursday New Cross, Friday Revolution. Satyrday night would have been a trip down into Mansfield to the Colours ( Bell Vue pub) and then the Swan which Rob Marriott used many years later as an all nighter venue.

All the above venues were above or the back room if a pub but the Rev was strictly club only and only used in above mentioned nights.

Would still love to see some pics from in there.

Yule.

Social source share

Nice to hear stories about the Rev, I remember seeing James and Bobby Purify there, but Sutton had more the baths with, Geno, The Foundations, even Status Quo, also The Oval up Carsic, what about The Pitiful Souls playing there, The Fours Tops in Nottingam. grat memories

Lovely friendly pub :thumbsup::huh:

Social source share

Good to see this thread popping up again. Walked by the old place recently and has now re-opened as commercial premises and called....Revolution! Coincidence or someone in the know. I seem to remember Petal running a pirate soul station from his spare room mostly playing Geoff King bootlegs.

Good to see Sutton baths getting a mention, the pool was emptied and boarded over for dance nights featuring such people as The Equals, Amen Corner, BB King, Garnet Mimms not strictly a soul night but music was more soul than pop.

A typical week in Sutton then would have been,Sunday Revolution, Monday, Oval Tuesday Potmakers, Wednesday Revolution, Thursday New Cross, Friday Revolution. Satyrday night would have been a trip down into Mansfield to the Colours ( Bell Vue pub) and then the Swan which Rob Marriott used many years later as an all nighter venue.

All the above venues were above or the back room if a pub but the Rev was strictly club only and only used in above mentioned nights.

Would still love to see some pics from in there.

Yule.

Christ - Potmakers!! Forgot about that one.Belle Vue,was that on the corner before the one way system was built? Near what's now the Bowling alley?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Following from on from the rev comments, great comment about the pot makers, anyone remember these, the new cross, the labour club, in Kirkby the nag and the railway and not forgetting annesley miners welfare, when we felt a trip further afield catching the 84 or the 61 to Nottingham, to the Brit, boat and union, but no bus back had to sleep on the bus station, happy days

Social source share

Following from on from the rev comments, great comment about the pot makers, anyone remember these, the new cross, the labour club, in Kirkby the nag and the railway and not forgetting annesley miners welfare, when we felt a trip further afield catching the 84 or the 61 to Nottingham, to the Brit, boat and union, but no bus back had to sleep on the bus station, happy days

Now you're talking.!! 84 straight up Mutton Hill.Or get your money's worth and go by Kirkby Woodhouse.LOL. Who did the Nag's head and Railway bitd? Can't remember any NS nites in either of them,although the Railway was frequented by NS lovers.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Dave Atkinson

Well I do remember standing in for Petal with Geno Washington at the Revolution. Petal, Keith Brake worked at the Union and I was the resident DJ at the Brit after working at the Palaise. We were at school together. Petal married Pat and I have not seen him for years since he went into Electronics. The Revolution was fun to do and had a good atmosphere. But as we were both working seven nights a week at different venues a lot of it was business.

Social source share

Folkhouse rob thats rekindled some memories did my "Northern Soul apprentiship" there about 1974/75,have you seen the new venue on the same old site?it looks impressive,not been inside though.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!