Phil Spector Wall Of Sound Soundalike Recommendations

Pete S

I absoloutely love the mid period Wall Of Sound records, You've Lost That Loving Feeling type of sound, I do have a lot of these already and have the Ace compilations Phil's Spectre which contain some great soundalikes, but I know there are hundreds more out there and wondered if anyone can recommend any titles which I can then go and track down on mp3.

Things like

george & Sonny Sands - Down by the ocean

the Knickerbockers - wishful thinking

not the early girl group stuff, the 64-66 wall of sound stuff is what I'm after, please feel free to shout up any suggestions and thank you..

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guy used to play a real Spector-eque soundalike covered up as Bill Medley and the Wall of Sound*. Buggered if I can remember who it really by but I'm sure other Stafford heads will remember. Don & Juan's 'Heartbreaking Truth' on Mala (I think) is another, may have been covered up as The Righteous Brothers by Keb.

* edit: title was "Baby Please Don't Go"

Edited by Alan Walls
Social source share

Guy used to play a real Spector-eque soundalike covered up as Bill Medley and the Wall of Sound*. Buggered if I can remember who it really by but I'm sure other Stafford heads will remember. Don & Juan's 'Heartbreaking Truth' on Mala (I think) is another, may have been covered up as The Righteous Brothers by Keb.

* edit: title was "Baby Please Don't Go"

wasnt it the Splendors on Karate.....?
Social source share

Not sure if it's well known or not, but about 10 years ago I picked up a copy of Darlene Loves' 'Lord, if your a woman' on Warner/ Spector records produced by the man himself dates from about 1977ish, personally I love it but never heard it out anywhere, real WOS stuff.

Regards

Jim.

love this tune, had it about 3 years ago, surprised it was '77 though, like you i,ve never heard it played out before, its a real big production tune for sure

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A couple that I've always liked that we weren't able to license in for the 'Phil's Spectre' CDs:

Jackie Burns and the Belles - He's My Guy (MGM)

Tracey Dey - I Won't Tell (Amy)

...plus three that we'll be putting on the 'Phil's Spectre international edition' when it finally comes out:

Dany Chantelle - Lying Awake (UK Columbia)

Jackie DeShannon - Don't Turn Your Back on Me (UK Liberty)

Adrienne Posta - Shang A Doo Lang (UK Decca)

...fabulous records one and all. :)

Social source share

A couple that I've always liked that we weren't able to license in for the 'Phil's Spectre' CDs:

Jackie Burns and the Belles - He's My Guy (MGM)

Tracey Dey - I Won't Tell (Amy)

...plus three that we'll be putting on the 'Phil's Spectre international edition' when it finally comes out:

Dany Chantelle - Lying Awake (UK Columbia)

Jackie DeShannon - Don't Turn Your Back on Me (UK Liberty)

Adrienne Posta - Shang A Doo Lang (UK Decca)

...fabulous records one and all. :)

Those are a bit early for me Tone, as you would have noticed had you read the first post which says "not the girl group sound" :(

p.s. having a right job getting Volume 3 nudge nudge

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

One record in my collection that sounds like it should have been producedby Phil Spector is "Yes Sir Thats My Baby by The Date With Soul Stateside 1967, definate wall of sound feel to it, also another in my collection the Virgil Brothers version of "Temptation 'Bout To Get Me" on UK Parlophone 1969 has the same feel.

Social source share

One record in my collection that sounds like it should have been producedby Phil Spector is "Yes Sir Thats My Baby by The Date With Soul Stateside 1967, definate wall of sound feel to it, also another in my collection the Virgil Brothers version of "Temptation 'Bout To Get Me" on UK Parlophone 1969 has the same feel.

Virgil Brothers is a great version, that's an Australian group that featured one of the New Seekers I think!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Those are a bit early for me Tone, as you would have noticed had you read the first post which says "not the girl group sound" :thumbup:

....Wouldn't have said that any of them particularly had what I think of as the girl group sound apart, perhaps, from Jackie Burns - which is why I listed 'em! Dany Chantelle (the REAL 'best wall of soundalike' of them all!) and Tracey Dey are 1965, which I definitely wouldn't call early in respect of the WOS.

Honestly, there's no peasing some people....laugh.gif

Your comment about Vol. 3 is noted BTW...

Social source share

....Wouldn't have said that any of them particularly had what I think of as the girl group sound apart, perhaps, from Jackie Burns - which is why I listed 'em! Dany Chantelle (the REAL 'best wall of soundalike' of them all!) and Tracey Dey are 1965, which I definitely wouldn't call early in respect of the WOS.

Honestly, there's no peasing some people....laugh.gif

Your comment about Vol. 3 is noted BTW...

I like Dany Chandelle, I prefer Benice Swanson to be honest though.

No but they don't sound like The Righteous Brothers (the production, not the voices, obviously), I think I'm looking at 1966 productions. You know something like Peter & The Infinits "She's laughing at you"?

Social source share

I absoloutely love the mid period Wall Of Sound records, You've Lost That Loving Feeling type of sound, I do have a lot of these already and have the Ace compilations Phil's Spectre which contain some great soundalikes, but I know there are hundreds more out there and wondered if anyone can recommend any titles which I can then go and track down on mp3.

Things like

george & Sonny Sands - Down by the ocean

the Knickerbockers - wishful thinking

not the early girl group stuff, the 64-66 wall of sound stuff is what I'm after, please feel free to shout up any suggestions and thank you..

Rick & Ron - Can't We Get Along. - IBIS

This is a great ballad that sounds very similar to the Righteous Bro's. The flip side is a rollocking blue eyed version of 'You Are My Sunshine' that Phil Richards has been playing in W/Mids.

Taf

Social source share

Rick & Ron - Can't We Get Along. - IBIS

This is a great ballad that sounds very similar to the Righteous Bro's. The flip side is a rollocking blue eyed version of 'You Are My Sunshine' that Phil Richards has been playing in W/Mids.

Taf

Cheers, that one I've never heard of let alone heard!

Social source share

I remember that at the time Ian. Very, very "No Regrets"

Yep, I think they came through a UK telly talent show if I remember rightly. Corking tune which never even really dented the UK charts......

Here's another couple....

Jerry Bo Keno - Here Comes That Sound Again

The Blue Angels - I Wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hso83EGlAwM&feature=related

And just found this pretty cool version of "Niki Hoeky" by Ellie Greenwich.....

Ellie Greenwich "Niki Hoeky"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OQHP3OyfXg&feature=related

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!