Carol Canty (The Sapphires)

Guest Paul

Sad news from Ian Levine...

Carol Canty has died.

Known as Carol Jackson, she was lead singer of The Sapphires, best known for 'Who Do You Love', 'Gotta Have Your Love, 'The Slow Fizz, 'Evil One', 'Gonna Be A Big Thing' etc.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

now that is sad news.........have HMV w/d's of both their top tunes and that refro clip of her singing is spot on R.I.P girl tezza

Social source share

now that is sad news.........have HMV w/d's of both their top tunes and that refro clip of her singing is spot on R.I.P girl tezza

Just talking recently about compilation albums which helped introduce me to soul music and I remember first hearing 'Gotta Have Your Love' on EMI's Soul Bible LP (Probe) when I was about fourteen.

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

now that is sad news.........have HMV w/d's of both their top tunes

Think you'll find that the Sapphires had more than two top tunes, my friend....

Their Swan singles are absolutely sublime, and their other ABC singles are at least a match for 'their two top tunes' (as are their flipsides)

Carol had such a pretty voice, it's a shame that their discography is so small...

R I P my dear.

Social source share

Sad news from Ian Levine...

Carol Canty has died.

Known as Carol Jackson, she was lead singer of The Sapphires, best known for 'Who Do You Love', 'Gotta Have Your Love, 'The Slow Fizz, 'Evil One', 'Gonna Be A Big Thing' etc.

Sad news .

" GHYL " is a timeless classic , and one of my all - time favourite records .

RIP Carol .

Malc

Social source share

Gotta Have Your Love is an indelible part of my youth. Not least for the youth club where I first heard it, but also for those countless occasions when played at a nighter, usually late on, when the troops were flagging and the light was peeping through the curtains. I'm welling up thinking about it right now...

Edited by macca
Social source share

Far too many great stars have left us recently, this is so sad, but on a personal note I thank them for the huge legacy of superb music they leave for our continued pleasure and enjoyment. One of my all time favourite girl groups, I salute the achievements of Carol Canty, R.i.p, a 'Sublime Soulstress'.

One of the strangest girl groups as The Sapphires were two males and Carol.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!