Who Exactly Were August And Deneen

Guest juve1973

Guest juve1973

Obviosly i know they sang we go together and that they are both white but where were they from ,what are there real names did they make any other records ect,ect

thanks in advance for any answers

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest juve1973

so no one know who they are or there real names and yes ive seen the phot

ha ha, thats what i,ve always believed too, i wonder where all these myths start from :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 months later...

August and Deneen were the two people most responsible for my transitioning from a weekend hack bass guitarist to the steady working road professional I became. For some reason, Joe D. wanted to leave the Long Island Sound, which was August and Deneen's backup band, so I jumped at the chance to audition for his bass guitarist slot. Without actually laying hands on my journal, I'm going to guess that it was about two years after they recorded We Go Together (and two other tracks) at New York's Bell Studios. If my memory serves me right, the recordings were made in 1968 (Deneen will probably find me and correct me if I'm wrong), so I believe I joined August and Deneen & the Long Island Sound in the fall of 1970. I remember my audition like it was last week; I was that nervous. The audition took place in the late afternoon at the Beachcomber in Wollaston Beach, Massachusetts. The club owner at the time was Jimmy McEttrick. As I recall it was a Thursday afternoon, because August and Deneen would perform there that night and on each of the following three nights. They tested me first with a couple of easy tunes and then threw a toughie at me. It was Sly & the Family Stones' Sing a Simple Song. I had only heard it a few times and had never played it. But, Joe wanted to move on so he coached me right then and there until I had the song's signature bass lick down. After a few minutes, Deneen came back over to us and asked Joe, "Does he have it?", to which he replied, "Yeah, he's got it." That was it... end of audition... I was the new (and as it tuned out, last) bass guitarist of the Long Island Sound. Deneen told me years later that when I joined, that was the 32nd, and last, configuration of the Long Island Sound. When I passed that audition, I became the youngest member of the band. Assuming it was the fall of 1970, I was age 23.

Ironically, August and Deneen did not know of their fame within the world of Northern Soul, until I stumbled across an Internet reference to them in 2003. At the time, I was living in Las Vegas, so I phoned them back on the East Coast to let them know. They were so surprised... they hadn't even heard the phrase, "Northern Soul". Maybe some day I'll write about my association with August and Deneen, but for now, until I contact them further, I don't want to divulge any of their personal information. They were wonderful to work with and it was the most exciting couple of years of my life.

Social source share

August and Deneen were the two people most responsible for my transitioning from a weekend hack bass guitarist to the steady working road professional I became. For some reason, Joe D. wanted to leave the Long Island Sound, which was August and Deneen's backup band, so I jumped at the chance to audition for his bass guitarist slot. Without actually laying hands on my journal, I'm going to guess that it was about two years after they recorded We Go Together (and two other tracks) at New York's Bell Studios. If my memory serves me right, the recordings were made in 1968 (Deneen will probably find me and correct me if I'm wrong), so I believe I joined August and Deneen & the Long Island Sound in the fall of 1970. I remember my audition like it was last week; I was that nervous. The audition took place in the late afternoon at the Beachcomber in Wollaston Beach, Massachusetts. The club owner at the time was Jimmy McEttrick. As I recall it was a Thursday afternoon, because August and Deneen would perform there that night and on each of the following three nights. They tested me first with a couple of easy tunes and then threw a toughie at me. It was Sly & the Family Stones' Sing a Simple Song. I had only heard it a few times and had never played it. But, Joe wanted to move on so he coached me right then and there until I had the song's signature bass lick down. After a few minutes, Deneen came back over to us and asked Joe, "Does he have it?", to which he replied, "Yeah, he's got it." That was it... end of audition... I was the new (and as it tuned out, last) bass guitarist of the Long Island Sound. Deneen told me years later that when I joined, that was the 32nd, and last, configuration of the Long Island Sound. When I passed that audition, I became the youngest member of the band. Assuming it was the fall of 1970, I was age 23.

Ironically, August and Deneen did not know of their fame within the world of Northern Soul, until I stumbled across an Internet reference to them in 2003. At the time, I was living in Las Vegas, so I phoned them back on the East Coast to let them know. They were so surprised... they hadn't even heard the phrase, "Northern Soul". Maybe some day I'll write about my association with August and Deneen, but for now, until I contact them further, I don't want to divulge any of their personal information. They were wonderful to work with and it was the most exciting couple of years of my life.

Thankyou very much for the information. Great post indeed :hatsoff2::hatsoff2:

Social source share

Wow. Fascinating story Ratso. The record really took off after Ian Levine found a bunch of copies on one of his U.S. trips and then used 'em as swaps to get stuff he didn't have. That's where my copy came from, I guess circa 1974 or thereabouts. I wonder if August and Deneen knew that ABC reissued the track in the UK in 1977 because of it's popularity on the Northern scene?

Ian D biggrin.gif

• Up vote 1
Social source share

No, they didn't. When I first mentioned "Northern Soul" to them, they hadn't heard a thing about their popularity across the pond. Certainly nothing about reissues since August and Deneen received no royalties. BTW: Cashman, Pistilli, and West were staff writers at ABC that August and Deneen kept contact with for years after C,P, & W left ABC. I didn't know that C,P, & W had formed groups of their own.

Social source share

Chalky... Can I get back to you on this? I have been a member here for years and I have been very careful about what personal info I give out about August and Deneen. I still love these folks, even though we are over 3,000 miles apart. Here's some hints: Deneen's mom was in show business also and if I gave out her name, some of you Internet sleuths may unravel the whole mystery. Deneen's real birth name is Deneen, but August is just a stage name. We band members referred to him by his real name when off stage and not discussing band business.

Social source share

Steve, I would love to take credit for the bass guitar on "We Go Together", but I was the August and Deneen bassist when they appeared LIVE. That track, which was supposed to be released as a B side, was only one of three different tracks recorded during the Bell Sound sessions of 1968. I joined up with them at least a year later, maybe two, after the sessions, during their "4 nights a week" period. That would be around 1970 or possibly as early as 1969. I wish I could find my doggone journal, but I moved from Vegas to Monterey 16 months ago and I still have a garage full of moving boxes loaded with stuff. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I can clearly remember my audition with them, but without my journal, I can't get the exact year right.

To continue with info I got from Deneen; the members of the Long Island Sound, which was the August and Deneen band, were not even allowed inside the actual recording studio. The tracks were recorded using New York studio musicians. I never met any of the original session players, but that's not unusual because those cats didn't play outside too much. They were just that busy doing studio work. Anyway Steve, the only place I can find any of MY playing on the Internet is, ironically, not even on a soul recording. And not even on bass guitar. I played synthesized strings on "Drink My Blues Away", organ on "Hurricane", and a little vocal refrain ("shine, shine, shine") on "Thirty Dollars", all three of which appeared on the Blackwater 5 CD, "Circles".

Social source share

chalky, I spoke with Deneen Wednesday night, the 16th. August was asleep, as it was one o'clock in the morning their time. I guess we're getting old. Anyway, Deneen wants me to proceed with a website I had cooked up a few years back, when there was supposed to be a huge Las Vegas Northern Soul event. At the time, I had the opening page of the site up, but I was really busy trying to negotiate an August and Deneen appearance at that event, so the website sort of faded away. For some time after that, we were kind of disappointed at how the Las Vegas event fell through and we just didn't do anything. Looks like I now have to find some good website help.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

chalky, I spoke with Deneen Wednesday night, the 16th. August was asleep, as it was one o'clock in the morning their time. I guess we're getting old. Anyway, Deneen wants me to proceed with a website I had cooked up a few years back, when there was supposed to be a huge Las Vegas Northern Soul event. At the time, I had the opening page of the site up, but I was really busy trying to negotiate an August and Deneen appearance at that event, so the website sort of faded away. For some time after that, we were kind of disappointed at how the Las Vegas event fell through and we just didn't do anything. Looks like I now have to find some good website help.

Yes there was talk and things were set in motion for a huge northern soul event in Vegas, i know because i had booked, but alas it all fell through, not enough interest created, for me it would have been the events of all event, hope they arrange another one.

A fastenating insight in to what was and for me still is a great record that made it on to the northern soul scene, i danced to it in my youth and i still dance to it in my 50s.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Absolutely fascinating stuff.

Teh only one of my kids who was not conceived to Barry White was conceived to either August & Deneen or Gwen & Ray; to my eternal shame, I forget which & gave teh dining table to a charity years ago, thus depriving teh kid of forensic evidence.

Edited by Droylsdonian
Social source share

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2011 at 07:55, Ratso said:

FANTASTIC STORY - ONE OF MY FAVOURITE RECORDS OF ALL TIME

Social source share

On 10/11/2010 at 13:30, garswood said:

ha ha, thats what i,ve always believed too, i wonder where all these myths start from :thumbsup:

On 10/11/2010 at 13:30, garswood said:

The Face article, early 80’s 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
40 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Ronnie August? & Deneen ?

yup, correct.

she was from Mississippi. 3 yrs younger than Ronnie. been together in the business since about 1961, and married about  1969. They sang with ( the unlikely but true name) The Prince Spaghetti Minstrels.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!