The Nite Spot Bedford

Guest juve1973

• Replies 16
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Yes I remeber it as well as unfortunatley the Plaza or the flea pit as it was known.

The Night Spot also had a revolving section of the dance floor, a bit like Rita, Sue & Bob Too !!

There was the Pilgrims bar across the river, the Lair in the Anglers Inn, The Rowing Club on a Sunday Night next to the Pilgrims.

Happy Days!!

Social source share

Guest juve1973

they knocked the anglers in down aswell

Yes I remeber it as well as unfortunatley the Plaza or the flea pit as it was known.

The Night Spot also had a revolving section of the dance floor, a bit like Rita, Sue & Bob Too !!

There was the Pilgrims bar across the river, the Lair in the Anglers Inn, The Rowing Club on a Sunday Night next to the Pilgrims.

Happy Days!!

Social source share

I certainly remember Bedfords Nite Spot 'cos I went towards the tail end of the 70's.

Would I be right in saying that Ken Cox of EASC had a few all-nighters there?

I also seem to recall that these all nighters were around the time when Nev Wherry, who was such a nice guy, died - I think there was a two minute silence one time.

Mick

Social source share

I certainly remember Bedfords Nite Spot 'cos I went towards the tail end of the 70's.

I also seem to recall that these all nighters were around the time when Nev Wherry, who was such a nice guy, died - I think there was a two minute silence one time.

Mick

Quite right Mick . Wasnt it after a Nite Spot allnighter in 1980 that Nev & his girlfriend passed away ?

Social source share

I think you're right there Martyn.

Seem to recall actually reading it in the national press - something to do with faulty gas fire I recall?

Mick

Thats how I remember hearing about it too , was quite shocked to read it in the paper .......No mobile phones to speed up news spreading in those days

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

First visit i went down in Brian Rae's van, with a couple of cars from Wolvo tagging along.

My enduring memory, not musical, was that the steps leading down the place to the dance floor were edged with silver aluminium, and the rather patchy carpet was also held together by strips of silver tape, add to that the strychnene bluey vision haze, and i ended up flat on my face, at least once and afterwards shuffled around as if i had divers boots on.

Remember pulling out onr fri night at Neil Rushtons night in Walsall, giving up my lift to Mac Pit, to fing out the next lunch time Mick Holdsworth had crashed, and Mac went face first through the windscreen, and either Planty, or Dawn "bost" their arm, took that as an omen and didn't return to the town until Groovesville last year.

Harpo

Social source share

Went a couple of times with mate Mick Matthews from Spalding. Great venue as I remember and even got a marraige proposal from a girl who I think was called Jacky Brown (it was the 29 Feb! 80 or 81). Reference Nev Wherry, I'm sure they played ,suprisingly, the Poppies - Send Him Back after the minutes silence. Had seen him at St Ives the week before and was shocked by his and Christines tragic death. A real nice guy

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest bazabod_downunder

Quite right Mick...i was there that night, I'll have to look in my diary to get exact date, it's packed away as we are moving shortly, actually remember it as being quite a good nighter.

KTF

Baz

Mick

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest whippet

Got some photos of it somewhere and Ken did have EASC dos there for a bit. It was very steep I seem to remember or am I thinking of somewhere else in Bedford?

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest manusf3a

I remember it being a bit rough and ready. with the Skinheads and Jazz funkers kicking off outside the niters!!!!!......Del.xxx

I remember the scuffle outside with the local second generation skinheads,I was involved in that and got a few punches in at the nobheads along with an onslaught from Mick Gavin r.i.p(one of the best blokes I have ever known)Glen Stewart and some more of the Wellingborough lads including if my memory serves Tezza.The Local skinheads had been doing some bullying,attacking kids with baggy trousers badges and carrying bags waiting at the doors ,the soulie kids were not fighting back just taking it!(who says ,all nighters the times they were not a changing????)so the Welling borough lads steamed the suprised looking bully boys who were chased off down the road,I think they had some stones and maybe a road sign thrown at them to help them on their way. By the way I know my mate Rug Bowers used to do some dj ing spots there but I have a nagging suspicion that my mate Wilky from Corby did one it may even have been only once this has been niggling me for a little while now as I have not seen him for years(I dont think many folk have)he moved to Bournemouth around the early eighties and I only saw him after that when he used to come and visit his mum and dad as he had also quit the scene ,I would see him on such occasions for a few years then lost contact total.I know Wilky used to lend some records to Rug for his spots as he had a stonking collection of both new biggies and classic oldies of the time.It was either at the nite spot or st ives oldies room that he did a few spots would be gratefull if somone could let me know .Mad isnt it ,one of my best mates spent loads of time with him and my memories niggled over this for the last few years,I know he did quite a few local soul nite spots but its the all nighter ones I am thinking of.Mind you his house was always the best all dayer going through the week . Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Went a couple of times.

Nev Wherry was on, so was soul sam who one night did a Motown set, and another played all his then modern stuff - a landmark moment for me as it got me going back to Wigan again in 1980 - Love Committee, Top Cat, James Mack etc. I remember getting Ronnie McNeir on DeTo for £10, just about the most I'd ever paid for a record. Still got that copy. :yes:

We also went one night when it was cancelled, trying to get back from Bedford at 1 am not much fun.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!