• Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

MOVIN' ON BARCELONA WEEKENDER:

DECEMBER 3rd & 4th 2010:

At JAZZROOM: Calle Vallmajor nª 33 - Pla§a d'Adri  (Barcelona)

FFCC Stop: Muntaner

23:30 - 5:00

Admission: 10 Euros, includes drink

Email us @ black_whip@hotmail.com

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/movinon

Dj's

* MARK DOBSON a.k.a BUTCH (UK)

* ADY LUPTON & JOEL MASLIN (Vava Boom Club, UK)

* LARS BULNHEIM (Hamburg, Germany)

+ MOVIN' ON DJ's

- Saturday Soul Sessions Dj's: 

* LEONA MURPHY (UK)

* MALAYKA ERPEN (Soul Shakers Weekender, GER/SWI/UK)

* JOSEP A. (VALENCIA, SPAIN)

Saturday Soul Session venue TBC, Dj's Bios & Top Ten coming in a minute...

Any info you may need just let us know thumbsup.gif

Best regards

Edu & Cristina

ADY LUPTON'S BIO

A record collector for over 20 years & occasional Dj, Ady has promoted the VaVa Voom soul nights, alldayers & allnighters with friend & fellow Dj/collector Yann Vatiste since 2004.

As well as running the VaVa Voom's, Ady has Dj'd at many soul events in the UK, across Europe & even in Austrailia.
Most notable of these being the 100 club, Capitol Soul club, Lifeline, Caledonia Soul, S.O.U.L.(Luanco), Runaway love(Asturias) & the Magic Soul Weekenders in Madrid up until the last, 11th anniversary.

Expect a mixture of rare 60's/70's Soul & Crossover with some quality Northern Soul classics thrown in for good measure!
Joel Maslin, a fairly recent addition to the VaVa Voom line-up will also be playing his stuff with Ady on this their very 1st VaVa Voom world tour!!(well just Barcelona really)...

Ady's current top ten spins..

The Fantastics-Where there's a will, there's a way-Impressario

Benny Harper-My Prayer-Harper Soul

Ree Flores-Look into my heart-M&H

Marva Lee-Old & Grey-Rugby

The Intensions-Feel so good-Moneytown

J.T.Rhythm-All I want is you-Palmer

The Royal Imperials-This Heart of mine-Mellow Town

The Earles-Everybody's got somebody-Tee-Ti

Everyday People(Feat Alexis)-World full of people-Brownstown

The Luther Davis Group-You can be a star-Lifetime

ADY LUPTON BIO.

A record collector for over 20 years & occasional Dj, Ady has promoted the VaVa Voom soul nights, alldayers & allnighters with friend & fellow Dj/collector Yann Vatiste since 2004.

As well as running the VaVa Voom's, Ady has Dj'd at many soul events in the UK, across Europe & even in Austrailia.

Most notable of these being the 100 club, Capitol Soul club, Lifeline, Caledonia Soul, S.O.U.L.(Luanco), Runaway love(Asturias) & the Magic Soul Weekenders in Madrid up until the last, 11th anniversary.

Expect a mixture of rare 60's/70's Soul & Crossover with some quality Northern Soul classics thrown in for good measure!

Joel Maslin, a fairly recent addition to the VaVa Voom line-up will also be playing his stuff with Ady on this their very 1st VaVa Voom world tour!!(well just Barcelona really)...

282mgy1.jpg

ADY LUPTON BIO.

282mgy1.jpg

Good grief, where did that photo come from, am I awake?

LARS BIO

I started collecting Soul 45s in the mid 80's, it was a struggle finding them back then, buying from UK lists was expensive and german record shops had nothing available. A good friend and me decided to do some record buying trips to the states in the 90's and dig thru the shelves, where the music we love was created. Ebay and the price guides stopped me from going statesside and as the collection growed, we started our own club here in Hamburg. The í…¾Shelter Club" ran for 5 years and was succesful from start to finish. We started out as a Northern Soul do and as my taste fort the music changed from strictly Northern to more 70's and modern sounds, I decided to call it a day as the Hamburg punters didn't appreciated anything recorded after 1969 (This has gladly changed over the years). Now I'm a regular on most of the big weekenders in germany, í…¾The Soul Shakers Weekender" in Bamberg, The Aachen Soulweekender and the í…¾Hamburg Weekender". I do DJ occasionally outside germany, I was a guest DJ in Rimini, in Malmoe, in Rhyl, Nantwich (Dab Of Soul), Birmingham and it's my second time in Barcelona at the fabulous í…¡Movin' on club'.

I still love my Northern sides, but my focus as a collector is on 70's and early 80's discs, they must be soulful and I like it, if they got this certain funky edge.

I still collect soul music in it's original format and I surely won't Stop doing it, as there's nothing, that thrills me more than a quality soul 45, that I have never heard before.

My current top ten (this will surely change tomorrow)

Infra Red Fun Band: What's Happening Now * Total Involvement

Le. Cop.: Law Order And Peace * K. Shavonne

Mellow Madness: Save The Youth * Mega

A Missin' Linc, LTD.: My Love * Swap

Apple And The Three Oranges: Love Brings Out The Best In You * Sagittarius

Jimmy Jules: The New Year * Jim Gem

Willie Dee: It Looks Like Rain * Chi Heat

Freedom Express: Get Down * W.T.P.

Sugar Boy: Free Man * Shades

Fire í…¡N' Brimstone: Life's Lesson * LARJ

1547lfn.jpg

JOEL BIO

I first contracted the soul bug about 10 or so years ago, along with my best mate Oli after we decided that hanging around in the suburbs of Kent and listening only to drum 'n' bass and house records wasn't condusive to broadening our musical horizons and so we began revisiting music we'd both grown up with - primarily soul, rhythm & blues and rocksteady. Oli found some flyers for a mod/soul night in the West End and we haven't looked back. From there we began attending mod clubs and soon ventured onto the hallowed ground of the 100 Club, met some excellent people and have generally been fed incredible music ever since. I personally have been collecting since around 2002, beginning with r&b and club soul and now soul music from all genres, including funkier edged numbers and crossover.

I've been lucky enough to DJ in Rome for Mary Boogaloo, Madrid and Asturias for David de Santiago and Lusima Martin, VaVaVoom as a resident for Ady Lupton and Yann Vatiste and the 100 Club for Ady Croadsdell.

CURRENT TOP TEN:

Sir Henry Ivy - He Left You Standing There - Future Dimension

Ricky Allen - Cut You Loose - Tamboo

Pazazz - The Right One - Pazazz

Black Aces Of Soul - Let's Get On Down - Black World

Matt Brown - Everyday - Jar-Val

Flint Emeralds - Just Like A Baby - Gatewood

Little Ron Johnson - I Keep Telling You - Hard Times

Geminis - Running - unissued RCA

Five Chances - Stranger I Love You - Finch

Mickey & Ernie - Baby I'm In Love - Hot Line Soul Journal

photo by Kylee Lewis

282dv6q.jpg

LEONA MURPHY BIO

"I've been in love with vinyl since I was a little girl - every Saturday I'd go to "Disc Stop" in Manchester and spend my 50p pocket money on UK Tamla Motown singles. The owner of the shop - who was notoriously grumpy - took a shine to this 11 year old weirdo and used to put stuff by for me. So started my love affair with Soul Music!

When I met my Hubby Adi in the early 90's, I found a kindred spirit! He had been to Warrington Parr Hall as a teenager and had a few Northern Soul Records .....I was hooked! We stopped going to the Hacienda which had been both our home's for the previous decade and started travelling out to the big All Nighters in the North. We spent all day every Saturday in Goldmine, King Bee and Earwaves record shops in Manchester, trawling through boxes and boxes of dusty vinyl and started building our collection. Every Saturday night was spent dancing our socks off in Stoke, Keele, Stafford, Lowton, Winsford and countless other superb soul venues. Every Bank Holiday was spent at the Ritz All Niter, we never saw the light of day for about 5 years! We met some amazing people and made some lifelong friends.

Moving to London in 2000, we became regulars at the 100 club and started buying more off Ebay and Manship. I started to get a few Dj spots, 'Stow-away Soul' and 'Walls of Heartache' in Walthamstow, 'Barcosa' (Rocket warm-up) 'Soul in the Basement' in Islington,' Rimini Soul Weekender' and was a regular guest in "The Willingham Suite" at Middleton All Nighter. More recently, I've played at 'Boomerang', 'Movin On Barcelona' and 'Crystal Palace Soul'.

I love everything from R&B through to Modern Soul, if I had to pick a favourite though , it'd be a nice bit of late 60's/ early 70's crossover....I'm really looking forward to coming back to Barcelona, it's an awesome weekender and a great chance to spend some time with some very good friends!"

10 current spins:

Priceless - Love In Your Life - Decimal

Ad Libs - I don't need no fortune teller - Passion

Dolly Gilmore - Don't You Know You're The Yes/ Sweet Sweet Baby - Dove

Soul For Sale - Let Me Love You - Geronimo

Straight Jacket - The Greatest Part Of Loving You - Showboat

Carol Woods and The Executives - Heartbreaker - Perfecto 7

Ripple Blast Singers - Sadie Sadie- (LP Track)- Power

Black Sugar - Too Late - (LP Track) - Sono Radio

Mary Moultrie They're Trying To Tear Us Apart - King

Joe McKeever - Dance With Me - AMS Records

29cxh92.jpg

Malayca.

not too sure what to say about myself...i love thinking,reading, laughing, dancing and most of all playing records - it is the salt in the soup called life ;-) i run the soulshakers weekender... pretty boring really....my top 5 tunes at the moment are:

early clover - i wanna take a chance with you - early clover

jelly - everybody needs lovin now is the time - fu-ja

sugar bear johnson - when your jones come down - t-jaye

jim mancel - easy life - people city music

debow - crime - unicorn project

*photo from Boomerang website

119xtnp.jpg

..and the last one for Saturday Soul Sessions...Me, Myself & I

some spins...

RUDY LOVE & THE COMPANY SOUL - SUFFERING WRATH CANYON

BLACK & BLUE- WHAT I GOT- MERCURY

ANN BOGUS- DONT ASK TO LOVE ME AGAIN STATUE

BOBBY SHANNON- I GET MY GROOVE FROM YOU- TOMAR

BOBBY RUSH- JUST BE YOURSELF- SALEM

LEE FIELDS - TAKE ME BACK - ANGLE3

RUDY MOCKABEE- SWEET THING- ATCO

JEANY REYNOLDS- DOWN ON ME- MAINSTREAM

INTERNATIONALS- TOO SWEET TO BE LONELY- D'AR

HENRY BROOKS- GREATEST DEBT TO MY MOTHER-P&P

iqblmx.jpg

Edited by Josep A.
Guest Leona M

Here's hoping that the pesky weather is gonna behave and let the Saxon Hordes invade your beautiful city! pirate.gif

Looking forward to the weekend ... and I believe we have some Birthday girls in our Midst????thumbsup.gif

BTW cheers for using an old photo from when I was young and skinny beer.gif

See you there peeps!!!!!!wave.gif

Leona XX

BTW cheers for using an old photo from when I was young and skinny beer.gif

I still have the full Stow-A-Way Soul website, if you ever need more juicy younger pics :hatsoff2:

We would love to come to Barcelona and surprise you, but we are already booked to go to another European soul night (and likewise fearful of snow driving and flights).

Have a wonderful time all - Movin'On will be one great party - even I danced lots!

m

Would just like to say a huge thanks to the Movin On crew for having us, I had an amazing time in the beautiful city of Barcelona.

The venue was fantastic, the company even better and the quality of the music amazing.

I thought Lars was superb and played a couple of the best modern sets i've heard recently. A real pleasure to hear.

Butch also played some truly awesome soul records, the last set of the Saturday night was scarily good and chocka with unknown stuff of the highest quality, couldn't ask for anymore as a soul fan.

Leona and Josep were also great as usual at the afternoon session.

Great to see our Spanish brothers as well, David, Alvaro, Jadd and Marcos all travelling from Madrid by car to be there.

Thanks to Iu & Paz for putting us up on Sunday and to Edu & Polly for the excellent BBQ as well :ohmy:

Joel x

Hi all,

A first shout to say a big THANKS to everybody who attended to MOVIN' ON...and an even bigger THANKS to the ones that, even having bought their flights and booked their hotels had to stay at home due to the Spanish air traffic controllers surprise strike...angry.gif

Having said that, it'd been one of our best attended parties ever (250 + through the door), so we are very happy about it!

Photos, playlists, etc...coming asap!

Thanks again!

Edu

What an unbelievable good weekend we had! It was such a pleasure for me to be part of "Movin' On" again, thanks to Cristina and Edu for the hard work and for the invitation. This weekend was special in so many ways:

Barcelona is simply one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, the food is more then excellent and people generally seem to walk around with a smile on their face - what a contrast to the freezing cold, grumpy cities I spend most of my time in.

A special thanks to Polly and Edu for being the best hosts we can imagine; we felt welcome from the first minute. Who needs a hotel, when you can stay at an appartment packed with fantastic records, old magazines, a fridge packed with spanish ham and with hosts, who like to have a laugh?

The venue is simply perfect. A nice looking club with a superb soundystem. The main difference between the Euro-scene and the UK scene is, despite the fact, that the punters are younger, that on Euro-Mainland the soul-dos are on professionally equiped clubs (or call them "Discos", if you need to). Advantage Euroland! Sorry guys!

Musically it was simply outstanding. Amazing sets from the Vava Voom residents Ady and Joel, in fact exactly what I wanted to hear - a mix of funkier sounds and underplayed stuff. This is the future guys and the only way it can go forward!!! .... oh and Yann, you was sadyl missed!

The saturday alldayer session was great as well with Malayka, Josep and Leona playing one marvellous tune after another, in fact the alldayer DJs would have been an enrichment for every allnighter line-up.

Butch was at the top of his game; four sets, that set the level higher, then anybody will ever reach with his fourth and the last set for saturday being the very pinnacle of an already fantastic weekend. I'm usually shy with superlatives musicwise, but his last set on saturday was the best DJ-set I ever had the pleasure to shake my bones to.

The spanish crowd is open minded, prick-eared - they know a good tune, when they hear one! - and always in a contagious party mood. It was a pleasure partying, talking and laughing with all of you. Too many names and I'm in danger to forget one or another, so I leave it like that.

Great to see some old friends again, Val and Bob, Leona and Adi, Malayka and Dave, Anja, Marcos, Jadd, Vanessa and once again apologizes If I forgot someone.

What a weekend!

Alexandra and Lars

Guest Leona M

I got to agree with Lars here - Movin On is a spectacular weekender .... everything from the City to the Venue to our amazing hosts ..... we're smitten!wub.gif

It was touch and go on Friday what with the 2mm of snow Armageddon situation .. but we made it to Barcelona a bit later than planned and ready for action.

Friday night was a real nice taste of things to come, The Va Va Voom boys were on fine form, so nice to have the cheeky monkeys double decking wink.gif

Lars is one of my very favourite Dj's and even though for some unknown reason I was wearing high heels huh.gif I still had a good old spin on the Dancefloor... Butch was on top form .... some tunes I've never heard and REALLY hope to be hearing over here again..... especially the one with the clip clops in ...(Joel knows which one that is cos I was drunkenly clip clopping down his earhole)

We had a simply superb seafood lunch by the Marina on Saturday, the table was filled with Soulies from all over Europe....Spanish, English, German, Swiss and of course Catalan ... we really felt like we were part of one big European Family ...very special.

Then we dashed off to the Warm-up (me late as usual - but I blame Marcos for forcing me to have an apple liqueur and some whisky soaked cake ...I soldiered through somehow)whistling.gif

Josep and Malayka played some seriously tasty stuff and I finished up with a few (mostly requests) and sent everyone on their way to get ready for the All Nighter.

The saturday night was quite simply THE best night of music I have ever had - I was in heaven. Again Ady and Joel played some awesome tunes and filled the floor....which stayed full the whole night ...in fact it was quite hard to find any space on the actual floor so the whole club became a dancefloor! Lars was superb as always and Butch ...well .... I wish I could bottle that atmosphere ... I'd make a fortune. We went home quite drunk and extremely happy.

The wonderful Edu and Polly put on a BBQ which went from being a warm-down to becoming a meltdown, gorgeous food, fantastic company ... and as I had lost my voice almost completely from having such a ball I did hog the decks a bit innocent.gif Mind you I was a bit chuffed to have a chance to double deck with Lars yes.gif

We just can't say enough good things about this event, it deserves the support and love it receives. What can I say? Edu and Cristina are superb promoters and Polly is a domestic goddess ... Nigella got nothing on you darlingno.gif

We can't wait to come back, thanks to Bobby & Val for coming with us and keeping us in stitches the whole weekend. Thanks to Edu and Polly ... we now officially love you. Thanks to Lars and Alexandra for being SUCH great company (remember Val's story always)blink.gif Super thanks to Paz and Kavel for letting me on the decks too. And of course a big hug to the London Massive ... we came - we saw - we had really a rather good time didn't we?

In the words of Arnie ....."I'LL BE BACK"

Leona & Adi XX

This is always a special place to visit, for so many reasons, the fact that this time it was a weekend affair, just made it all the more special. I know the guys down there work so hard to put it together and the results speak for themselves, cool weekender, people, music and venues. Another must on the annual Euro to do list.

Thanks for everything

Dave

Ok, i`ve put some pictures here, courtesy of Cristina, Paulina and some of mine , too...

Movin On Pics

It was an absolutely fantastic and very special weekend- so many great, great people came- and that for me are the best things about it: the music and the friends!!!!

Thank you all for being there: Lars+ Alexandra, Leona+Ady, Bob+ Val, Malayka+ Dave, Anja, all the Spanish and Catalans (especially those that made it from other cities even though there was an air controller strike)

Musically i really enjoyed Joel and Ady double decking and El Butch was on fine form, Lars is always a pleasure to listen to... Leona and Lars were fab on Sunday at the BBQ too....

Leona: re the Goddess thing: it takes one to know one!!!wub.gif

Can you all come to the next onetongue.gif?????

Ok, i`ve put some pictures here, courtesy of Cristina, Paulina and some of mine , too...

Movin On Pics

It was an absolutely fantastic and very special weekend- so many great, great people came- and that for me are the best things about it: the music and the friends!!!!

Thank you all for being there: Lars+ Alexandra, Leona+Ady, Bob+ Val, Malayka+ Dave, Anja, all the Spanish and Catalans (especially those that made it from other cities even though there was an air controller strike)

Musically i really enjoyed Joel and Ady double decking and El Butch was on fine form, Lars is always a pleasure to listen to... Leona and Lars were fab on Sunday at the BBQ too....

Leona: re the Goddess thing: it takes one to know one!!!wub.gif

Can you all come to the next onetongue.gif?????

It seems the link is not working...ohmy.gif They are in the gallery though!

Somebody we really missed on the weekend: THE FABULOUS BURKES!!!!!

Edited by Polly Matthies

Hi all, sorry for the delay in posting something but both Dru & I have been ill since our return(that's how good it was)!!

Was a great weekend!

Many thanks to Edu & Cristina for the invite!

Leona, Malayka & JosepA for the artistic interlude!

Polly for the BBQ(Goulash)!

Iu, Paz & Kavel for your hospitality & all our friends from the UK & the rest of Spain for your support & all the laughs!!!!

As everyones already mentioned the music over the weekend was indeed top draw & nice to meet Lars for the 1st time! That combined with the venue & the crowd made for a fantastic two afternoons & nights!

Shame we didn't have time to see more of the city though we were lucky to get there at all seeing as Gatwick was completely closed until Friday morning.

So all in all a resounding success, thanks again!

Cheers,

Ady

JOEL MASLIN playlist for MOVIN' ON: hatsoff2.gif

Rickey Andrews - The Next Time - RWA

Ricky Allen - Cut You Loose - Tamboo

Bobby O Brown - Searching For My Baby - Single

Black Aces Of Soul - Let's Get On Down - Black World

Sir Henry Ivy - He Left You Standing There - Future Dimension

Billy Byrd - Lost In The Crowd - Scream

David Matthias - Can't Choose Between You - C/U

Pazazz - So Hard To Find - Pazazz

Modulations - I Can't Fight Your Love - Buddha