News: Record Digging Stories.. Book..

Dysonsoul

I believe Mick H has a whole chapter dedicated to him finding a spare copy of the Mello Souls under his left man-boob.

Fascinating stuff.....you just couldn't make it up!

Bloody heck mate ,i'd been told it was his right man - boob ! I really must research more thoroughly ... can you be the official proof reader .....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bloody heck mate ,i'd been told it was his right man - boob ! I really must research more thoroughly ... can you be the official proof reader .....

Maybe he had one under each.......that could certainly answer a few questions of late... :wicked::D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

How can you come up with that assumption when you have no idea what my reserve was ??

Eh? Your reserve was obviously higher than the figure Mr Manship achieved. can't remember, but wasn't it four grand or something... Think the point was probably the highest price you'd get would be John's auction price. If you want to keep it, that's your call obviously. An impressive find...

Just clicked the link to the digging stories on the SoulStrut board... Few hours of amazing reading, much not soul related, but same buzz nonetheless.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

the best "find "story i heard was from andy rix, he being a true gent and allowing me to hold all the shrine stuff in my arms, and one sunny day at cleethorpes telling me about the day the cairo`s (i think it was the cairos)arrived at his house in an envelope! obviously in pieces and wondering why, oh why...... we can get a man on the moon, but why oh why,...... also when the groups mum said to him on the phone "walk right on in its called" are you sure you want me to turn it over and read out the other side, this phone call must be costing a fortune maaan, any way its called " i wont be comming back " the rest is history as they say

Social source share

I heard he is about to 'auction' his "carver" copy :lol:

I can't remember how much John got for the infamous Frank Wilson so was this recent sale of Mellosouls the most a soul record has ever sold for ?

is that figure known by people or was it a private sale.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Nicola, yes it has been taking a little longer than one would have liked - but many reasons for that ... it certainly is happening - categorically , The cut off date is gonna 100 % be september this year - if it isn't in by then it won't make it ! I dare say there potentially is enough for two volumes of the original planned format and size but gonna re shape and size the whole thing to get every sentence included.I'll try collate a few sample paragrphs over the next few weeks,some reeal corking throwback stuff even from my early trips including a night out and dinner with some of Nicky Scarfo's lads ( who were genuinly into collecting music) in Philly .Will keep it all up to speed from now on.

Hi

I just wanted to bring this thread back up as it is important that people get to see it as since my last post I have had a couple of stories in and have been promised several more.

As Andy has stated we are all guns ahead and our final deadline will be September 2012. Obvoiusly if anyone would like to contribute the sooner they can get it to us the better and if they have any supporting info ie memorabilia, photos etc they would also be welcome..

All the stoires have we have received so far have been fantastic. Some have been short and some have covered several pages but all have been quality and a great insight into what people have experienced just to find, or not in some cases these 45's we all love.

Once again if you wish you contribute my email is nicolaanderson271@btinternet.com or pm me through here. Andy can also be contacted through here on Dysonsoul.

Social source share

Hi Andy i have still got a copy of your 1st ever record list hand written must be 25 to 30 years old its class. collecting addictive no no no neveeeeer how many times have i had enuff sold up n started again? yours waggy

Now then Waggy nice to see you're back in the fold ! Gosh you'll have to show me that list when i see you next - might bring back some memories and regrets ..

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Just thought that I would bring this thread back up into view and give a little reminder..

Things on the book are starting to come together and although we haven't set a deffinate deadline at the moment, I am sure that it will have to be fairly soon so that we can get all the additional work that is required sorted out. Therefore if you have a story to contribute please get in touch with either Andy or myself (details are on this thread) as it would be a shame if at a later date you realise that your story/experience would have been great to share but you didn't get in touch, you may kick yourself and neither of us wants that.

Thanks

Nicola

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soul galore brum

I've got a few stories regarding finding records.

If you're interested get in touch.

Soul galore BrumBowers.

Social source share

I've got a few stories regarding finding records.

If you're interested get in touch.

Soul galore BrumBowers.

like the time you took me to oldies unlimiead in telford then gave me a lift home, it was early jan and there was a massive storm, in a small country lane there was a power cable down and it was firing sparks and whipping back and foreward across the road, i said steve dont pass there, seriously dont... you reved and me and jan were shouting noooooo and you drove through :ohmy: ive never forgotten that and how we survived ill never know, steveil kenivil :lol:

Social source share

Guest Soul galore brum

Is that the old light blue transit van . We're you with me and Jan when we overtook the police car in Shenstone, and escaped to tell the tale.

Jan says she still hates Lou Pride.

Social source share

• 8 months later...

any news on the book?? Would love to read all the stories!

Hi, the book is still a work in progress and unfotunately it's taking us longer than we first thought due to our work and family commitments. Andy and I are due to have a meeting regarding updates etc. after that we will be able to give everyone a better update.

Please bear with us.

Nicola

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Went over to the US in June  72. Digging for vinyl  with the late Niel Mason from bury we were probably the first to go digging in   Fred kapplans record cellar. And also various other places  inc a massive warehouse in  Buffalo  Ny. With millions of. 45 s.  to wade through.  Remember finding. Nolan Chance. On constellation. Also Baby Reconsider  on Fat Fish. 10 copies of  Eddie Parker. love you baby. On Ashford to mention  few.         Also dealt with Ray Avery  Glendale California         Happy days.                                                                                                                      Back to the Uk.  In the. 70s. Also got 8 copies of invitations. What's wrong  with me baby on stateside.    mlnt.        2 shillings. Each.  Accrington. Co op. 

Edited by Dothe45
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2015 at 18:59, Dothe45 said:

Went over to the US in June  72. Digging for vinyl  ....   Also dealt with Ray Avery  Glendale California         Happy days.                                                                                                                  

Also used to buy in late 60's / early 70's from Ray Avery's in Calif (didn't his shop get destroyed in the 71 earthquake ?) -- thou a branch exsisted after that, I believe it was in new premises. Before Avery's, used to buy from Randy's Record Store in Gallatin, Tn (they sent out catalogues). Also bought (mail order) from big cut-out warehouse somewhere in the NY / NJ area (gave all their lists -- sent out monthly) to Snowy way back in the mid 70's. The warehouse list went from 10c per 45 to 50c per 45 .... with tea-chests full of 45's on offer at about 1c per 45 (but the chests contained 100's & you didn't know what you were getting).  

In the 80's, used to go down to Telford to Oldies Unlimited and get 'locked in' the old chapel where they kept all the old stock of import 45's ..... would be let out at the end of the day with piles of 45's & haggle with owner over how much we had to pay (a few pence per 45 it was but he was always trying to push up the costs as we had 'picked em' ourselves). Prior to that, around 1968/69/70, would go down on train to Leighton Buzzard to F L Moores (when he was still in the old house) & dive thru all his piles of soul 45's ...then up to Wheel to sell some for 2/3 times what we'd paid a few hours earlier. GREAT DAYS !!   

Social source share

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 09/09/2018 at 19:18, Winsford Soul said:

Nice reminder Jaco.  I keep forgetting to ask Andy when I'm out and about.  Ive not heard anything recently.  

Steve 

Did this project ever get completed or has it been permanently canned? Shame if it never sees the light of day

Social source share

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

Sure Andy wont mind me speaking about this, as far as I know he is working frantically to finish his. As for my book, I too have been working on my project and it has to be out this year. Anyone who has taken on a project like this will know just how time consuming these things can be. One thing I can say just as Andy would "Its a nightmare"

Ey up my man, can't wait for both, essential reading 

Kev 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 29/01/2020 at 09:30, Gilly said:

Sure Andy wont mind me speaking about this, as far as I know he is working frantically to finish his. As for my book, I too have been working on my project and it has to be out this year. Anyone who has taken on a project like this will know just how time consuming these things can be. One thing I can say just as Andy would "Its a nightmare"

Put me down for one Gilly please (What's it about ? 😃)

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!