Buying/selling Records In Instalments

Supercorsa

This is probably aimed more at the record dealers rather than buyers.

I have seen on a few occasions that record sellers are willing to accept instalment payments for records. Now for someone like myself who never spends more than £70 - £80 at the most on anyone record (except once when pie-eyed and bidding on Ebay :yes: ), I've been unable to buy a couple of items I'd love to have.

I'm digressing, what I'd like to know is what sort of terms are acceptable? Would it be acceptable to pay for say a £200 record in instalments of say £50 or £20 per month? I mean how long would sellers be willing for someone to pay? How low on instalments would you be willing to accept? Does accepting instalments help with sales?

Personally, I've always been too embarrassed to ask for fear of causing any offence to anyone. :thumbsup: Anyway it's just something that has been puzzling me for a little while.

If you don't want to post in public as to avoid any possible future exploitation, I'll understand. :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have seen on a few occasions that record sellers are willing to accept instalment payments for records. Now for someone like myself who never spends more than £70 - £80 at the most on anyone record (except once when pie-eyed and bidding on Ebay :yes: ), I've been unable to buy a couple of items I'd love to have.

I'm digressing, what I'd like to know is what sort of terms are acceptable? Would it be acceptable to pay for say a £200 record in instalments of say £50 or £20 per month? I mean how long would sellers be willing for someone to pay? How low on instalments would you be willing to accept? Does accepting instalments help with sales?

Personally, I've always been too embarrassed to ask for fear of causing any offence to anyone. :thumbsup: Anyway it's just something that has been puzzling me for a little while.

If you don't want to post in public as to avoid any possible future exploitation, I'll understand. :thumbup:

Im now the proud owner of a few tunes that various collectors and dealers have accepted payment by instalment for. Paying what you can afford and having a plan of the number and frequency of payments is probably marginally more important than the amount of each payment, if you explain your desire to own a tune and is out of the range of your disposable income , offering to pay when you get paid is not asking for credit as the disc reaches your hands after the balance is complete. eighty or ninety quid or more is a considerable chunk of disposable income , how much you earn isnt the sign of an honourable person , being honest about your limitations and sticking to or as close to your agreement as you can is. A dealer can only say no if he doesnt like the offer , at least he knows that once you start to pay your as likely to complete thepurchase as he is to retain the vinyl for you regardless of other more immediate offers . its a gentlemans agreement though and with nothing in writing there are no guarantees you,ll recieve what you want nor he/she.Only once have i made an arrangement to pay and they le the record go to someone for a better price than we,d agreed.You probably wouldnt go back to the same person twice if that happened , just as he/she would get pretty narked if you repeatedly

deviated from what you,d agreed as their not in this business to have to chase you for payment .Dont fuck people about and you,ll generally manage to get what you want so badly Good hunting.

Social source share

Its all about trust and how well you know and much business you do with a record dealer in my experience.

I used to buy a lot of records off a particular dealer, after a while and spending a few grand with him he would think nothing

of leaving me with records to play and owing him a few hundred quid till pay day.

He ALWAYS got paid for his records when we agreed and by that time I always had more tunes to pay for over the following weeks laugh.gif

So there has to be a lot of TRUST involved I think.

He was always happy because he had steady sales and income from me, and I never fook people about when it comes to money if I owe it.

That's the 11th Commandment !

I think lots of dealers will do arrangements with you when they know you and have confidence in you and know you are a straight fella who will "pay on the day"

Especially at the moment when records across the spectrum are really hard to sell at decent prices.

A few thoughts anyway thumbsup.gif

M

Social source share

no cash in a one'er if its less than £300 for me..

£20 a month...are you serious :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :lol::no: ?

unless you can wait but no record mailed before total cash in hand...had major hassle with this before

trusting people who get their records up front and then dont pay when they are supposed too...kept me waiting for 6 weeks..

If I cant trust them and they are spoiling friendships and losing credibility........It aint worth it..obviously wont be selling to them again. :no:

gasher

Edited by GASHER
Social source share

I'm currently in the middle of selling a £600.00 record by three montly £200.00 instalments to a really decent bloke, record in my possession until the third and final payment is made, can't see any problem in doing this if both seller and buyer are happy to cut this type of deal, all about trust at the end of the day and about doing someone a good turn if they really want a record.

Not sure if I would do this all the time but certainly happy to it this time.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

i wish more dealers and sellers would do this for the more expensive 45s,gives collectors like me a chance to bag some expensive records that i wouldnt be able to afford otherwise,i certainly wouldnt mess anyone around and ruin a good oppurtunity to put quality records into the collection,of course i wouldnt expect to recieve the record until paid in full, but i also understand that not everyone would think this a good way of dealing/selling records,theres already a few sellers on here who advertise the fact that they are willing to receive part payments for records

jason

Social source share

ME AND DAVE HAVE BORT PLENTY OF STUFF ON TICK OVER THE YEARS, GOT LOADS OF FOUR FIGURE ITEMS AT PINCHES TOWERS WHAT NO WAY I COULD AFORED AS A LOWLY PAINTER AND DECORATOR IF IT WASN'T FOR A FEW FRIENDLY DEALERS:rolleyes:

BRI PINCH

I'd sooner work with someone rather than them miss out on something they really want,after all we are all on the whole morally correct folk - wanting the same thing - all of them ! some 45's are of course well into 3 figures and more so nowadays 4 figures ,it is a lot of money in one go if you're buying on a regular basis .To be honest all records sell eventually ,there's never been as many people interested in and buying records !

Yourself and dave are certainly as stand up as anyone on the collecting scene..

Social source share

I could see a situation where a buyer could get in over his head if he starts two or three of these installmets at the same time with different sellers and struggle with meeting all the payments.

I did buy something myself over 3 months last year (not a record) and without that option I would never have got the item. So at times and with a bit of common sense it can be a good thing.

I'd want to know the reputatioin of the other person before entering into a deal like this though.

Social source share

Have always done this and hold records until month end for wage day. Only get let down about once a year by a buyer, which isn't a bad percentage.

Way back in the day when I'd go down to buy from John Anderson, often had to do this as my eyes were always bigger than my wallet :yes:

John had this habit of letting you spend a day hunting the shelves then after he had priced that up, he would pull out a handful of things and say 'I also got these, have a listen and see what you think', bugger!!!! or if he was in a playful mood, he would wait until you were round the back of the racks and he put something awesome on the deck, bless him.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!