Record Stores In Brooklyn Ny

Mister Fish

I will be in Brooklyn (D.u.m.b.o) at the end of November and wondered if there's any good record hunting. Looking for group harmony Soul/funk crossover 70's type thingies. I'll only be there for a couple of days so can't travel too far.

Any help appreciated.

Best,

Steve

Edited by albertfish
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Goldwax

Take a 10 min stroll from Dumbo up to Brooklyn Heights and Henry Street Ale House (on Henry St). If the manager Pete is working there will be some great tunes being played and he can tell you about his time as manager of artists like Arthur Alexander. Good beers on tap too.

Social source share

Blimey, I've lived a few minutes walk from Henry St Ale House for a decade+ and never knew that about the manager!

If you go to Clover Club on Smith (recommended) you'll find one of their cocktails got named "Midnight til Six" by me after my fave Pretty Things 45, pretty much sums up the hours find myself there too :lol:

Edited by pomonkey
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Blimey, I've lived a few minutes walk from Henry St Ale House for a decade+ and never knew that about the manager!

Fifties looking guy. Know's his stuff. Manged a group called the Soul Shakers - the front man was Ryan Shaw before he did his own thing. I lived around the corner on Clark St from 2002 to 2005. HSAH was my sanctury.

Social source share

I've boxes of sales stuff Steve but very little crossover/70's, has never been my thing. There's record stores scattered all over, staying in Brooklyn you could head over to Williamburg on the G to the likes of Academy, in the city there's several on the Lower East Side and Strider in the West Village on Jones (not Great Jones), but really none are standout sadly.

Shame you're not staying longer, we're putting Syl Johnson on stage Fri Dec 3rd, going to be a blinder

Edited by pomonkey
Social source share

I've boxes of sales stuff Steve but very little crossover/70's, has never been my thing. There's record stores scattered all over, staying in Brooklyn you could head over to Williamburg on the G to the likes of Academy, in the city there's several on the Lower East Side and Strider in the West Village on Jones (not Great Jones), but really none are standout sadly.

Shame you're not staying longer, we're putting Syl Johnson on stage Fri Dec 3rd, going to be a blinder

Hey! I'm staying 'til Sunday 5th so will be around. What's the details on Syl please?

Social source share

We're the people behind the record decks so pretty easy to find, I'm the tall one with the long hair and English accent, Honky's in glasses and probably playing the entire Shrine catalog in sequence for fun so we're pretty easy to tell apart :unsure: Oh, and good old Mick H (hi Mick!) will be on this side of the water joining us for this one too, good times.

ps expecting a lot of press, not least as Numero have done such an outstanding job on the Syl boxset, so def get yourselves advance tx!

Edited by pomonkey
Social source share

Academy in East Village?.Greenwich?.What's the one on Bleeker st.?

Strider Records on Jones St, as well.Say hi to Bob the owner, for me Steve.You can always find him in the Blind Tiger across the road.:unsure: .

Not Brooklyn,but not too far away.

Social source share

Just a quick follow up:

Popped into the Record Show at the Holiday Inn for an hour. It was impossible to convince the wife I did not know it was on. Met Barry and if the ATM had been working in the hotel I would have dropped $300. I did get MM and the Peanuts - The Phillie and a Dee Edwards on D Town. He had 3 boxes packed with Northern goodies and, I thought, reasonably priced.

I never actually went looking for shops but did manage to pass Village Records in Greenwich Village - dont bother

Bleeker St Records - 4 or 5 rows of Soul/R&B 45's in the basement but not really anything of any note. Prices ranged from 4.99 upwards with anything of any Northern interest being $11 and up. I did buy the Darrell Banks Daptone 45 so as to save on shipping to Canada.

Whilst the wife was shopping in Loehmans I had a walk up Broadway and scanned the book-sellers that set up on the path and picked up a Chico Hamilton album on Stax for $2.

Also flew in and out of Buffalo and JFK and never got patted down once :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert