Martin Freeman Goes To Motown

Suinoz

Just been given a dvd with this very interesting BBC doco titled ' Martin Freeman goes to Motown '. Made to celebrate the labels 50th anniversary i presume this was shown in the U.K. on BBC television but no idea when so someone will hopefully enlighten me on that one. Loved the bit where he goes into peoples records in Detroit and finds himself surrounded by thousands of singles all in marked boxes, even one labelled northern. He seems to have met some people with real credibility from the rollercoaster day's of Motown. Clay Williams formally of Golden World, Sylvia Moy, Duke Fakir H.D.H. and even found Martha Reeves working in an office for the Detroit City Council. Managed to catch up with th 3 remaining members of the Funk Brothers in Bakers Keyboard Lounge in Detroit before jetting off to L.A. and chatting with Chris Clark, who sadly really did'nt seem to make much of herself with Motown. Martin did'nt mention the northern hit ' somethings wrong ' to her and i doubt she would remember cutting the track before ir was consigned to the vaults. Even 3 of the Jackson brothers were on there and it appears the programme was shot before M.J. passed away. I have to say i found the whole thing really interesting. Made me think i really must go and see the place before i cark it. Has anyone seen it and what did you think of it ?? Does the BBC make a lot of these type of programmes ?? Apologies if this has already been on S.S. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been given a dvd with this very interesting BBC doco titled ' Martin Freeman goes to Motown '. Made to celebrate the labels 50th anniversary i presume this was shown in the U.K. on BBC television but no idea when so someone will hopefully enlighten me on that one. Loved the bit where he goes into peoples records in Detroit and finds himself surrounded by thousands of singles all in marked boxes, even one labelled northern. He seems to have met some people with real credibility from the rollercoaster day's of Motown. Clay Williams formally of Golden World, Sylvia Moy, Duke Fakir H.D.H. and even found Martha Reeves working in an office for the Detroit City Council. Managed to catch up with th 3 remaining members of the Funk Brothers in Bakers Keyboard Lounge in Detroit before jetting off to L.A. and chatting with Chris Clark, who sadly really did'nt seem to make much of herself with Motown. Martin did'nt mention the northern hit ' somethings wrong ' to her and i doubt she would remember cutting the track before ir was consigned to the vaults. Even 3 of the Jackson brothers were on there and it appears the programme was shot before M.J. passed away. I have to say i found the whole thing really interesting. Made me think i really must go and see the place before i cark it. Has anyone seen it and what did you think of it ?? Does the BBC make a lot of these type of programmes ?? Apologies if this has already been on S.S. Tony. OZ.

I am not sure if it was shown two or three times Tony , but the last one was in January of 2009 .

I liked and found the programme interesting , and it creditable the way MF handled his involvement , coming across as

someone who had / has an interest in what he was doing , and not just another " face " going through the motions and paying lip service .

Malc

Social source share

I am not sure if it was shown two or three times Tony , but the last one was in January of 2009 .

I liked and found the programme interesting , and it creditable the way MF handled his involvement , coming across as

someone who had / has an interest in what he was doing , and not just another " face " going through the motions and paying lip service .

Malc

You'll find it on You-Tube (tho in four parts) if you search.Yes very well put together.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert