• Replies 48
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Ferrett

Very sad news. Got a lovely Technics 1210 sitting downstairs. Love it to bits!

Don't know if you've seen my 'I've seen the future' post in 'Look at your box' forum. Recently spotted a Laser turntable that plays your vinyl without a needle. Pretty pricey at the moment, but I reckon that is what we will all end up with once current suppliers stop making quality decks.

Would be interested to hear what these laser turntables sound like. Anyone tried them?

Ferrett

Edited by Ferrett
Social source share

After the good news I brought you last night with the Crosley deck this hit me like a brick in the head.

Thanks to Dave W over on EMS for posting the original story up.

RIP Technics decks.

Panasonic is set to discontinue production of its famous SL-1200 turntable after 38 years of manufacturing, due to a lack of demand and the difficulty of finding components to service the iconic deck.

The SL-1200 is currently available in its 'Mark 6′ iteration. It was the choice of turntable for DJs, mainly because it was tough as old boots and could withstand a good battering as you moved around from club to club to beer-soaked back rooms in dodgy pubs.

Yet the digital music revolution has finally seen the Technics turntable off.

With the plug being pulled on the Technics range of turntables, mixers and headphones, the analogue music era is, it would seem, officially over.

"Panasonic decided to end production mainly due to a decline in demand for these analogue products, and also the growing difficulty of procuring key analogue components necessary to sustain production," a spokesman for Panasonic told The Tokyo Reporter.

Panasonic has sold around 3.5 million Technics SL-1200 model turntables since the original launch in 1972.

The announcement comes just days after Sony revealed that it would no longer be manufacturing and selling its iconic cassette Walkman in Japan.

Japanese DJ Tatsuo Sunaga ("The Record Chief") told The Tokyo Reporter how he felt Panasonic's announcement was unfortunate - "I've been using these products for around 20 years and rarely suffered a breakdown. This type of excellence is something not seen globally, and I think the fact that one doesn't need to purchase subsequent models as being the reason for forcing the move."

Got To Agree On The Technics ! ! Tried Allsorts Before Purchasing The 1210's Once Bought End Of All The Feedback Etc Problems And As You Say Reliable!! These Things Are Bullet Proof, As Tough As Old Boots Is This Really The End Of An Era ?:D:lol:

Social source share

The first notification I think I did post a year ago or so already...anyway, having had to buy a new system last week I wondered how many new technix my hifi dealer just had got in...I asked him and he said he just ordered them and got the information now from his main supplier that panasonic indeed changed their mind and will continue production as they had received...1.5 millions ....thats 1.500.000...complains after the statement was out they will stop pruduction of the infmaous technix dj turntable. so for now nth to worry about...also, not being the biggest fan of chinese products...along others also mr crypt for example does supply nice counterfeits..which by the way only cost 25 % of a new technix but thats a different story.

marc

Social source share

think this is the statement from Panasonic....

"Panasonic has confirmed that it ceased the production of its Technics-branded analogue turntables this autumn."

"After more than 35 years as a leading manufacturer of analogue turntables, Panasonic has regretfully taken the decision to leave this market. However, Panasonic will continue to sell headphones under the Technics brand."

"We are sure that retailers and consumers will understand that our product range has to reflect the accelerating transformation of the entire audio market from analogue to digital."

"In addition, the number of component suppliers serving the analogue market has dwindled in recent years and we brought forward the decision to leave the market rather than risk being unable to fulfill future orders because of a lack of parts."

"Panasonic employees who have been working on the analogue turntable range have been redeployed elsewhere within Panasonic - many of them continuing to work in Panasonic's Audio Video Business Unit."

Social source share

think this is the statement from Panasonic....

"Panasonic has confirmed that it ceased the production of its Technics-branded analogue turntables this autumn."

"After more than 35 years as a leading manufacturer of analogue turntables, Panasonic has regretfully taken the decision to leave this market. However, Panasonic will continue to sell headphones under the Technics brand."

"We are sure that retailers and consumers will understand that our product range has to reflect the accelerating transformation of the entire audio market from analogue to digital."

"In addition, the number of component suppliers serving the analogue market has dwindled in recent years and we brought forward the decision to leave the market rather than risk being unable to fulfill future orders because of a lack of parts."

"Panasonic employees who have been working on the analogue turntable range have been redeployed elsewhere within Panasonic - many of them continuing to work in Panasonic's Audio Video Business Unit."

Is that from Panasonic Australia Chalky? If so I'm sure I saw it ages ago - maybe last year?

Social source share

Is that from Panasonic Australia Chalky? If so I'm sure I saw it ages ago - maybe last year?

https://www.residenta...s.aspx?id=13154

I looked on the global Panasonic site and couple of regional one and couldn't find no recent statements in the news sections.

I found a copy of the Panasonic Australia letter at https://studio-lights.com/blog/technics-discontinued-1200-turntable.htm

Social source share

Very sad news but not the end of the world.

There are plenty of turntables that are more than suited to our scene that have come along in recent years.

Us Modern DJs have more to be worried about than the 7 inch jocks. I mean a dusty 60's classic can be played on any turntable and it wont affect its sound quality. Our digitally enhanced stereophonic pan aural sound 12's are more in need of the 1s and 2s. wink.gif

Seriously though, CD's first hit our shops in 1982, 28 years ago. I think Technics have done very well to keep going with them for so long.

Just seen the cost of second hand 1210's go through the roof, including those that are for 'spares or repair'.

Social source share

After the good news I brought you last night with the Crosley deck this hit me like a brick in the head.

RIP Technics decks.

Panasonic is set to discontinue production of its famous SL-1200 turntable after 38 years of manufacturing, due to a lack of demand and the difficulty of finding components to service the iconic deck.

The SL-1200 is currently available in its 'Mark 6′ iteration. It was the choice of turntable for DJs, mainly because it was tough as old boots and could withstand a good battering as you moved around from club to club to beer-soaked back rooms in dodgy pubs.

With the plug being pulled on the Technics range of turntables, mixers and headphones, the analogue music era is, it would seem, officially over.

"Panasonic decided to end production mainly due to a decline in demand for these analogue products, and also the growing difficulty of procuring key analogue components necessary to sustain production," a spokesman for Panasonic told The Tokyo Reporter.

Panasonic has sold around 3.5 million Technics SL-1200 model turntables since the original launch in 1972.

The announcement comes just days after Sony revealed that it would no longer be manufacturing and selling its iconic cassette Walkman in Japan.

Japanese DJ Tatsuo Sunaga ("The Record Chief") told The Tokyo Reporter how he felt Panasonic's announcement was unfortunate – "I've been using these products for around 20 years and rarely suffered a breakdown. This type of excellence is something not seen globally, and I think the fact that one doesn't need to purchase subsequent models as being the reason for forcing the move."

Click here to view the _RLS_

SO IT MAY BE THE MK 6 ONLY THAT THEY ARE STOPPING HOPEFULLY

UPDATE: Panasonic is in fact ceasing production of the SL-1200MK6 model specifically, while other Technics turntable models will live on. Phew! Sincere apologies for the misunderstanding. [Tokyo Reporter]

https://gizmodo.com/5...nics-turntables

ALL VERY CONFUSING BUT THIS IS FROM MTV

https://rapfix.mtv.co...nds-production/

The Technics SL-1200 turntable is dead.

Long live the Technics SL-1200 turntable.

Actually, the iconic turntable of choice for DJs, both professional and amateur, for almost four decades isn't completely gone.

Gizmodo is now reporting that Panasonic, owner of the Technics brand, is only ceasing production of the SL-1200MK6 model while others will still be available.

DJs can breathe a sigh of relief, but this isn't the first time that rumors swirled, saying that the beloved wheels of steel were knocking on death's door. Just last year there was talk of their

demise.

Over the years companies like Vestax and Gemini, and many more, tried in vain to create turntables that matched the specification of the Technics 1200—mainly its direct drive motor with big time torque and a tank like exterior—and while some did, none could match the devotion DJs had to the original.

The fact that, after all these years, this specific turntable is still the standard—it was introduced in 1972 and while there have been tweaks in the past, it is essentially the same—is nothing short of phenomenal. Think about it, the 1st generation iPod, which debuted in 2001, is a fossil compared to the latest sixth generation, which Apple stopped updating in 2008.

Nothing is for certain, nothing lasts forever ... but with

vinyl sales increasing—independent retailers love to sell them on their stoops in Brooklyn—don't count out the Technics SL1200 just yet.

Edited by mossy
Social source share

SO IT MAY BE THE MK 6 ONLY THAT THEY ARE STOPPING HOPEFULLY

UPDATE: Panasonic is in fact ceasing production of the SL-1200MK6 model specifically, while other Technics turntable models will live on. Phew! Sincere apologies for the misunderstanding. [Tokyo Reporter]

https://gizmodo.com/5...nics-turntables

ALL VERY CONFUSING BUT THIS IS FROM MTV

https://rapfix.mtv.co...nds-production/

The Technics SL-1200 turntable is dead.

Long live the Technics SL-1200 turntable.

Actually, the iconic turntable of choice for DJs, both professional and amateur, for almost four decades isn't completely gone.

Gizmodo is now reporting that Panasonic, owner of the Technics brand, is only ceasing production of the SL-1200MK6 model while others will still be available.

DJs can breathe a sigh of relief, but this isn't the first time that rumors swirled, saying that the beloved wheels of steel were knocking on death's door. Just last year there was talk of their

demise.

Over the years companies like Vestax and Gemini, and many more, tried in vain to create turntables that matched the specification of the Technics 1200 "mainly its direct drive motor with big time torque and a tank like exterior "and while some did, none could match the devotion DJs had to the original.

The fact that, after all these years, this specific turntable is still the standard "it was introduced in 1972 and while there have been tweaks in the past, it is essentially the same "is nothing short of phenomenal. Think about it, the 1st generation iPod, which debuted in 2001, is a fossil compared to the latest sixth generation, which Apple stopped updating in 2008.

Nothing is for certain, nothing lasts forever ... but with

vinyl sales increasing "independent retailers love to sell them on their stoops in Brooklyn "don't count out the Technics SL1200 just yet.

Thank goodness I need 2 new ones but didn't want to be forced into getting them b4 xmas !!:shades::thumbsup:

Social source share

I'd like to see an official Panasonic statement, everything I've read so far is from other sources quoting Panasonic. The statement on the Resident Advisor website I posted is from two days ago and it says they are ceasing to make analogue turntables, but continuing to produce headphones under the technics name.

Social source share

this is a hoax, the same thing has been popping up on DJ email lists & message boards for a couple of years now, scares people for a sec & then dies off again. I think it all started from the discontinuation of a variation of the Mk6 which was then misleadingly reported online as meaning the whole line & then incorrectly copied through reports on other sites ad nauseum. No need to panic.

Social source share

If it is/was a hoax you'd have though some sort of statement from either panasonic or the sites reporting the demise of technic decks.

Why?

I bet more than a couple of folks rushed to buy one or two after they heard the news. Plus you get loads of free publicity...

Social source share

Why?

I bet more than a couple of folks rushed to buy one or two after they heard the news. Plus you get loads of free publicity...

Well I wouldn't buy something that is no longer made and can't get spares for. If the statement is true panasonic can't get parts so what chance us?

Besides I'm quite happy with the Stanton deck I use.

Social source share

Well I wouldn't buy something that is no longer made and can't get spares for. If the statement is true panasonic can't get parts so what chance us?

Just re-read your post and think I didn't understand it right. I thought you was saying that if it was a hoax, Panasonic would've issued a statement denying the rumors...

Anyway, plenty of decks in the market, vinyl and turntables are far from death. I think electronic-dance DJs are the ones that choose Techs over other decks for technical reasons. You can get a direct drive turntable with pitch, anti-skating etc (and more) for less than half the price, so I don't know what's the big deal.

Social source share

i think there will always be so many 'hardly used' technics in the second hand market from all the bedroom dance djs who got bored with it ..

no need to worry...

heard about these laser decks back in the 90s from a reggae dealer who used to sell to some wealthy japenese...what will that do to the price of vinyl as far as condition goes ?? apparently scratched vinyl sounds as good as ex as theres no contact with the needle and the scratch

dean

Social source share

i have had my pair since 1990 and they were second hand then

the only thing i have had to replace in all this time is the stylus

they have been amazing

Edited by mossy
Social source share

can't say I've ever sniffed a set of 1200's unsure.gif

I can just imagine everyone who owns 1200s now getting down and giving them a good sniffing to see if they smell.

like I have just not really done, cause no one could be that sad could they laugh.gif

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

1210 Mkii for me. get rid of the phono leads and fit balanced XLR outputs none better end of !!

The picture looks like a soundlab DLP1 ? Ok but a mare to keep in time certainly no replacement for 1210s

Why is it concidering the concern we have to spin on all kinds of shite at many venues!!!! Ha Ha

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

It is probably inevitable that vinyl will die off completely.

If there is any kind of Northern Soul scene left in 20 or 30 years, I would guess that the youngsters who will have to have embraced it for it to stay alive will be playing tunes off of mp3s or somesuch thing.

The Modern scene by and large seems to be less format obsessed than the Northern scene but that's because a lot of Neo Soul is only released on cd anyway or on downloads.

Social source share

It is probably inevitable that vinyl will die off completely.

If there is any kind of Northern Soul scene left in 20 or 30 years, I would guess that the youngsters who will have to have embraced it for it to stay alive will be playing tunes off of mp3s or somesuch thing.

The Modern scene by and large seems to be less format obsessed than the Northern scene but that's because a lot of Neo Soul is only released on cd anyway or on downloads.

I Hope Not!!:sweatingbullets:

Social source share

I Hope Not!!:thumbsup:

Do you seriously think we will be carrying the torch still playing vinyl years from now? Most kids haven't seen a record player never mind a record. The scene is slowly dying as a dance scene now with very few youngsters coming onto the scene, certainly not enough to keep it going when we are no longer able too. The whole mentality of the scene will probably have to change for this to carry on many years into the future or it will slowly disappear up it's own arse. We may not agree with mp3's, cd's and laptops etc but this is all kids know about.

Social source share

Do you seriously think we will be carrying the torch still playing vinyl years from now? Most kids haven't seen a record player never mind a record. The scene is slowly dying as a dance scene now with very few youngsters coming onto the scene, certainly not enough to keep it going when we are no longer able too. The whole mentality of the scene will probably have to change for this to carry on many years into the future or it will slowly disappear up it's own arse. We may not agree with mp3's, cd's and laptops etc but this is all kids know about.

Hmm, the UK scene will get a fair bit smaller but like in Europe that doesn't mean it ain't no good. There are plenty of Soul Nights, Allnighters & Weekenders in Germany and maybe its also time to travel again up and down the country for you guys in the UK to go ''soulin'' :lol:. Northern Soul started to get played in the early 80's in Germany but we still have a lot of youngsters getting into it right now. Also, it will always have that connection with Mods, Scooterboys and Skinheads over here therfore you will always have some youngster coming from that angle into the ''soul scene''. And I believe the same applies to the UK. More and more vinyl and even the big tickets get sold to collectors and djs outside the UK. Because in the end THE MUSIC IS JUST TO FRIGGING GREAT TO IGNORE !!!! While in the 80's and early 90's in Europe not many could for various reasons afford to play originals or weren't bothered, now many more promoters/Djs and punters prefer the original format to be played. Nevertheless we have also many pub nights were people play whatever format they like. I think you guys were spoiled rotten with so many great events over the years but now you get older you'll have venues closing down and obviously less and less people attending events. But there are a few youngsters around which of course do not by any means match the amount of people from the early days. The younger crowd can mainly be found in the bigger cities in the UK but some oldtimers with passion will always be around. So, the soul scene will always exist, maybe smaller but certainly all over the globe!!! Oh have I mentioned retro Soul in the charts....Sharon Jones, Raphael Saadiq....They are all great artists and have released their new output on............VINYL :lol:....& getting younger folks into soul.....:lol:

As for vinyl disappearing,.....it was deemed dead ages ago but now production is on the rise again and people not only prefer it for its nostalgic reasons but also for its durability, costs and sound qualitiy.

...books were deemed dead...cinemas were deemed dead when TV arrived...

So let me say Soul and Vinyl is here to stay :thumbsup:

Keep The Faith :D

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Hmm, the UK scene will get a fair bit smaller but like in Europe that doesn't mean it ain't no good. There are plenty of Soul Nights, Allnighters & Weekenders in Germany and maybe its also time to travel again up and down the country for you guys in the UK to go ''soulin'' ph34r.gif. Northern Soul started to get played in the early 80's in Germany but we still have a lot of youngsters getting into it right now. Also, it will always have that connection with Mods, Scooterboys and Skinheads over here therfore you will always have some youngster coming from that angle into the ''soul scene''. And I believe the same applies to the UK. More and more vinyl and even the big tickets get sold to collectors and djs outside the UK. Because in the end THE MUSIC IS JUST TO FRIGGING GREAT TO IGNORE !!!! While in the 80's and early 90's in Europe not many could for various reasons afford to play originals or weren't bothered, now many more promoters/Djs and punters prefer the original format to be played. Nevertheless we have also many pub nights were people play whatever format they like. I think you guys were spoiled rotten with so many great events over the years but now you get older you'll have venues closing down and obviously less and less people attending events. But there are a few youngsters around which of course do not by any means match the amount of people from the early days. The younger crowd can mainly be found in the bigger cities in the UK but some oldtimers with passion will always be around. So, the soul scene will always exist, maybe smaller but certainly all over the globe!!! Oh have I mentioned retro Soul in the charts....Sharon Jones, Raphael Saadiq....They are all great artists and have released their new output on............VINYL thumbsup.gif....& getting younger folks into soul.....thumbsup.gif

As for vinyl disappearing,.....it was deemed dead ages ago but now production is on the rise again and people not only prefer it for its nostalgic reasons but also for its durability, costs and sound qualitiy.

So let me say Soul and Vinyl is here to stay :thumbsup:

Keep The Faith wink.gif

Well Said That Man!!:yes: :yes: thumbsup.gifhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

In terms of sales overall in the music industry Vinyl is still the top selling format for music (when available) and more of todays bands (indie ect ) release singles on 7" 45s which doesnt point to the demise of Vinyl!!

Edited by Ed B
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I would press up vinyl again. However, only 300 copies at this time. If I can tweak my marketing a bit and sell my other copies of 'Tell me' and 'Suddenly there's you', things might be different. The price of shipping Detroit pressed records into the UK was a factor in the retail price. I would use Archers again, they were very helpful. I now sell the records on CD Baby, in the hope their 2000 bricks and mortar shops stock just one copy of each! For UK sales I direct any enquiries to Funky Feet Records who have offered a terrific service over the last year or so. Should the CD Baby stock get a big demand, I would press more up stateside, rather than shipping back my UK stock.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Hmm, the UK scene will get a fair bit smaller but like in Europe that doesn't mean it ain't no good. There are plenty of Soul Nights, Allnighters & Weekenders in Germany and maybe its also time to travel again up and down the country for you guys in the UK to go ''soulin'' :D. Northern Soul started to get played in the early 80's in Germany but we still have a lot of youngsters getting into it right now. Also, it will always have that connection with Mods, Scooterboys and Skinheads over here therfore you will always have some youngster coming from that angle into the ''soul scene''. And I believe the same applies to the UK. More and more vinyl and even the big tickets get sold to collectors and djs outside the UK. Because in the end THE MUSIC IS JUST TO FRIGGING GREAT TO IGNORE !!!! While in the 80's and early 90's in Europe not many could for various reasons afford to play originals or weren't bothered, now many more promoters/Djs and punters prefer the original format to be played. Nevertheless we have also many pub nights were people play whatever format they like. I think you guys were spoiled rotten with so many great events over the years but now you get older you'll have venues closing down and obviously less and less people attending events. But there are a few youngsters around which of course do not by any means match the amount of people from the early days. The younger crowd can mainly be found in the bigger cities in the UK but some oldtimers with passion will always be around. So, the soul scene will always exist, maybe smaller but certainly all over the globe!!! Oh have I mentioned retro Soul in the charts....Sharon Jones, Raphael Saadiq....They are all great artists and have released their new output on............VINYL :yes:....& getting younger folks into soul.....:yes:

So let me say Soul and Vinyl is here to stay :lol:

Keep The Faith :yes:

I don't recall anyone saying the European scene isn't any good? But we are talking about the UK scene where the all-nighter crowd is twice the age of the European crowd and getting smaller. Very few youngsters are getting into the scene and who can blame them? They will never be able to afford the vinyl for one and again most are not interested in the vinyl format, they live in a digital world. Thats why this topic is being discussed, technics stopping making analogue turntables. Was in town doing Christmas shopping and one of the shops popular with youngsters had a DJ on playing music, from a laptop!

Not many can afford the originals now never mind back when you mention and this alone will never encourage youngsters on to this scene.

Vinyl sales are on the up? Pointless argument that one as it doesn't really concern this scene does it? The vinyl being sold is on different dance scenes frequented by youngsters who I doubt once they have grown up a bit will stick with the scenes. We deal in the main in second hand records not new releases.

It's ok mentioning retro soul in the charts but very very few of them have no place on the UK Northern/Rare Soul scene.

Soul and vinyl is here to stay but we are a tiny minority in the music world. Even with no scene we will still collect.

Social source share

I don't recall anyone saying the European scene isn't any good? But we are talking about the UK scene where the all-nighter crowd is twice the age of the European crowd and getting smaller. Very few youngsters are getting into the scene and who can blame them? They will never be able to afford the vinyl for one and again most are not interested in the vinyl format, they live in a digital world. Thats why this topic is being discussed, technics stopping making analogue turntables. Was in town doing Christmas shopping and one of the shops popular with youngsters had a DJ on playing music, from a laptop!

Not many can afford the originals now never mind back when you mention and this alone will never encourage youngsters on to this scene.

Vinyl sales are on the up? Pointless argument that one as it doesn't really concern this scene does it? The vinyl being sold is on different dance scenes frequented by youngsters who I doubt once they have grown up a bit will stick with the scenes. We deal in the main in second hand records not new releases.

It's ok mentioning retro soul in the charts but very very few of them have no place on the UK Northern/Rare Soul scene.

Soul and vinyl is here to stay but we are a tiny minority in the music world. Even with no scene we will still collect.

Well, the ''European Soul Scene`` started out from basically not much left over from whatever happened in the 60's regarding soul. The music itself and it's association to other scenes were Soul played in important part was the driving force for it to start off in the first place early 80's from basically nothing. So, from humble beginnings when Kent LP's were the order of the day you have now a fully fletched scene. So, you can start again or even just bubble along and end up with a striving scene once again in the UK!!!!! Point is the UK scene may gets a lot smaller but it will certainly stay for good!!!

As for not many youngster getting into it....When I was living in London I went to quite a few Northern Nights/Allnighters with a younger crowd. The same applies to some other places like Manchester.

Also, some parties play Northern mixed with other styles which are not attended by the older Northern Brigade. For instance I was putting on gigs in London 99-2005 with two bands playing live music and afterwards Dj's were playing a mix of Northern Soul Indie Ska Disco.....with only some Northern faces attending !!! Some of the new ``soulies`` started to get into it and I saw them down at the 100 club a few months later.

Ok. they are not out in force yet but a younger Soul crowd does exist!!! Although some may not like it but artists like Amy W. certainly make the sound hip again even though most of the chart released tunes will not be played at soul nights. Point is the UK scene may gets a lot smaller but it will certainly stay for good with youngster not out in huge numbers but still around!!!

Some big tickets will certainly drop a little in price sooner or later but there are lots of cheap goodies out there which youngster can affort to buy and they DO!!!!!!

Vinyl sales are up in general and that means firstly your digital argument is slightly flawed as well as the fact that pressing plants can offer reasonable prices to press up vinyl. So, new releases can be played on vinyl like Cooking On Three Burners (This Girl) !!!! By the way I started off with bootlegs and reissues and slowly found my way to original vinyl only!!!! What encourage me as a youngster into Northern Soul was the music and the dancing and certainly not the price of a frigging record!!! Later on I started to collect originals but some of my mates were just listening and dancing their heads off and that's the way with most Soulies some collect and some don't bother.

Btw. thank god we are a tiny minority in the music world and not frigging mainstream!!! I think a smaller scene will do the UK good so it can go back to basics playing unknowns + oldies on original vinyl for an up for it mixed crowd!!!!

All the best and...........keep the faith :lol:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

I would press up vinyl again. However, only 300 copies at this time. If I can tweak my marketing a bit and sell my other copies of 'Tell me' and 'Suddenly there's you', things might be different. The price of shipping Detroit pressed records into the UK was a factor in the retail price. I would use Archers again, they were very helpful. I now sell the records on CD Baby, in the hope their 2000 bricks and mortar shops stock just one copy of each! For UK sales I direct any enquiries to Funky Feet Records who have offered a terrific service over the last year or so. Should the CD Baby stock get a big demand, I would press more up stateside, rather than shipping back my UK stock.

Hi Carl

I'm with you, we pressed 500 copies of The Rotations last year and all but sold out in a month. Our next release 'Todays Soulful Sound Of Detroit' LP, out in february, will also be on vinyl, Archers in Detroit are currently doing the test pressings for me now.

Long live this archaic format, 'Can't beat the thrill of holding a new buy in your hands' or digging through a basement of records looking for that elusive record.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi Dave - that's great you sold out of copies. Makes it worth while for the next etc. Yes, a hard copy has the romance and collectable status for further down the line. I would prefer to press a thousand and bring the cost down, but.....storing ha ha! I must speak to Archers, as I do have a brainwave about all this 'physical' stuff.....

Social source share

For whatever it's worth, GET A REAL TECHNICS 1200 before it's too late, if not two or four of them! They will outlast all of us.

You would be shocked how much better your entire collection would sound if you used one of these, with the mighty Shure N44-7

cartridge. If you are using Stantons (or Ortophons, which are VERY hard on acetates and styrene) STOP.

With the Shure N44-7, records that look like they had slept on the basement floor for 30 years (and ones that actually did!) will still track well

and perform decently. I can not do enough to sing the praises of this specific set-up. If you compared the sound of the Shure

cartridge with a 1200 to the Ortophon, the Stanton, or even the Shure White Label carts, you would surely never go back.

Much louder, much clearer, more defined, more full... even with VG or VG- condition singles. The same records would skip on a Stanton

deck with a straight arm. They weigh about 1/2 as much!

I'll shut up now, I'm just trying to help. :lol: (I don't work for either company, by the way.)

Social source share

RIP Technics decks.

Japanese DJ Tatsuo Sunaga ("The Record Chief") told The Tokyo Reporter how he felt Panasonic's announcement was unfortunate - "I've been using these products for around 20 years and rarely suffered a breakdown. This type of excellence is something not seen globally, and I think the fact that one doesn't need to purchase subsequent models as being the reason for forcing the move."

Click here to view the _RLS_

:thumbsup: Hi All way back in 1971, i used to DJ in a few pubs in Letchworth & Hitchin (North Herts), my first mobile Disco consisted of a Roger Squires disco mixer 100 watt WEM AMP, 2 WEM speaker cabs, and 2 Garrard SP25 MK2 Decks I really believe that they were the DOGS B, 10 x better than the later SP MK3, the MK2 was strong and robust, in 1974 i was working in the Free Trade Hall Manchester, snooping about looking for equipment left by the last band who had played there, mics where a good little earner, this was the 1st time i had a good look at a TECHNICS SL- 1200, the whole Deck was so different to the Garrard, first thing is the weight of a deck, second was the smooth curves and shape of the deck, and 3. was the tone arm, the head and stylus was so easy to set up and balance depending on the cartridge used, no fiddlings about just a lock lever and 2 wheels to zero, (do you ever think not to adjust the the arm/ I do it routinely).

I suppose there success is the downfall of the deck, the rarely break,? I reckon they will be using the SL 1200 long after I pass on???

:huh: DAVE KIL

Social source share

Dave, I still use Garrards on the occasions when I do a mobile gig, which is only a couple of times a year these days. I purchased brand-new, still boxed SP25s (badged as Citronic CL12D's) in 2005 and had them installed in my Citronic console. I still use a pair of Goodman's 15" speakers, one of which was bought new in 1976 to match the other one which I'd just bought second-hand. It's amazing how long equipment can last if it's not abused. I've no doubt that some of those Technics decks will still be used in 20 years' time and that there will still be proper records made to play on them.

We have seen the difficult years for proper records - the 1990s - and now they are inexorably on the up. I have never bought a CD for my own use and hope never to do so.

Social source share

In terms of sales overall in the music industry Vinyl is still the top selling format for music (when available) and more of todays bands (indie ect ) release singles on 7" 45s which doesnt point to the demise of Vinyl!!

Sorry Ed but that's rubbish mate. Vinyl is the worst selling format for music and has been for the last 20 years. Even the only remaining music chain in the UK doesn't stock it anymore.

Ian D :wave:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert