Boomerang

Greety

This is gonna be short because I'm pooped.

Just got back from one of the best nights we've had in a long time. Great venue, great music all night, old friends and a well stocked bar. HEAVEN!! All the good things I'd heard are most definitely true. Can't wait till the next one.

• Replies 25
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Good to see you again Dave :shades:

I had a great time as usual, top company, couldn't fault the music, great sets from all the DJ's especially Andy and Dave :thumbsup:

Only downer no Great Heck behind the bar :thumbsup: Managed to stay sober though unlike Kerry, she's suffering with a hangover, she said it was all the talking she did laugh.gif

Boomerang what a packer !

The venue where numbers are definitely going up. That would also include 'E' numbers if Karen b's hospitality spread is anything to go by, although most of the fairy cakes were last seen heading over the Welsh border secreted in Soul Sam's baseball cap!:D

Must ask how my new dance partner, the hip swinging Elaine's joints are today ? we'll all blame that funky kid and that devilish dentist for funkin' things up a wee bit as well as the choreography courtesy of Franc 'G' :thumbup:

Dave

P.S we won't mention Louise and Deb Flanders alternative bull fighting routine :lol::hatsoff2:

As usual at Boomerang a great night, musically and socially. Thanks to Martin for driving and to Pete Bennett and Phil Raines for their company. We certainly had a good laugh. And a very pleasant meal prior to the club opening. Had a couple of glasses of red wine with my steak, but apart from that stuck to soft drinks.

Were there more people in on Saturday, it did seem that way to me, and filled up earlier as well?

The music was up to the standard we all expect, thanks to Dave for playing Gangster Boy at my request, and to Andy for playing Pinch Of Perfection. When it came on I recognised the intro but couldn't guess what it was till it got going, had to dance to it, one of my favourite Crossover tunes, rarely heard.

I must be really getting old because I felt so tired last night after getting home; but it was worth it. Thanks to the promoters and all the DJs. Now looking forward to 2011 and more great music.

A really enjoyable trip to Boomerang as always. As Geoff mentioned we had a right hoot all weekend (it helps when Spurs win away at the Library).....Pete and Phil were a good addition to our party. I was amazed to see Pete hitting the dance floor to The Dentist's first set..... Thanks to Binty and Co for their company.

M

Guest BintofSoul

BintofSoul Sisters, JB and en Famille had a fantastic time. Great music, great people and lovely cakes at the end of the night! Fabulous. Thanks RBman, Phil, Geoff and Pete, my lovely Southern soulie friends, for inviting me to supper. I had a great time!

Nicki XX

Just a quick note, coz it looks to be another late one in the office...

Looks like I'm the first to say THANK YOU to our guest dj's and all who came to Boomerang on Saturday night. Hope nobody minds me saying this, but Andy Whitmore (now living in Scotland) and Dave Ripolles are two of my absolute favourite DJ's and I think they were at their best on Saturday, so for me it was like a proper summer xmas back home - simply gloooooorious! :hatsoff2: .

Many travel serious distances and hope they had fun and had their ears/hearts tickled with the sounds too.

Looks like all 3 of our guest DJ's (Andy, Dave and Arthur) will be posting up their plays or top ten tunes here soon, so that's great news to those who were asking.

As always, please let Karen or I know if anything was amiss. I know she'll be having a stern word with the taxi company who didn't do the usual multi-trips, but she's an angel for trying to look after everyone after we'd packed up ...and thanks to Soul Sam & the Nightingales for hauling the equipment out for me too.

m

p.s. Our next date is Saturday 5th February 2011 with guest DJ's MICK H, ARTHUR FENN and VAL CHALLONER!

This is my playlist from Saturday night @ Boomerang.

SET 1

Vanguards - "Good Times Bad Times" [Lamp]

Total Warmth - Talkin' About Love [C/U]

Ed. Nelson - I'll Give You A Ring (When I Come, If I Come) [sagittarius]

Rhythm Machine - Put A Smile On Time [Lulu]

Natural Impulse - 'We're Gonna Make It Through' [soul Junction]

Apple and the 3 Oranges - Love Brings Out the Best Of You [sagittarius]

Chris Columbus and The Swingin' Gaites - Tighten Up "70" [ ]

Black Sugar - Too Late [sono Radio]

Mebeus - Love's Journey [Vigor]

Coco and Ben - Good Feelin' [Earth World]

The Young Devines - "Ain't That Sharp" [Note]

SET 2

Angela Davis & The Mighty Chevelles - My Love (Is So Strong) [Flaming Arrow]

Bobby Rich - There's A Girl Somewhere [sambea]

Faye Hill and the Hill Sisters - Gonna Get Even [blue Dolphin]

Anthony White - Hey Baby [Philadelphia International]

Wee - Try Me [Owl]

Salt & Pepper - A Man Of My Word [Heatwave]

The Honey Bees - Let's Get Back Together [Garrison]

John and the Wierdest - Can't Get Over These Memories [Tie]

The Nu-Rons - All Of My Life [Nu-Ron]

LaRom Baker - You're the Best Thing [The Record Company]

Lynn Varnado - Wash and Wear Love [Gator]

Mystics - Bring Back The One I Love [unissued acetate]

Jessie James - Are You Gonna Leave Me [shirley]

Flash McKinley - I'll Rescue You [bombay]

Tommy Ridley - My Love Is Getting Stronger [international City]

From what i can remember this was a Top night yes.gif, big thanks to all, Arthur

Edited by Arthur Fenn
Guest karen b

When setting up just prior to doors opening we never know how the night is going to pan out,g.gif

we hope, but never assume, that the forward planning and choice of DJs will be as exciting and appealing to everyone as they are to usyes.gif

So a huge thank-you to everyone who joined us at the Tavernyes.gif

As Maria has previously posted the choice of records played by our guests were, for us, glooooorius, wub.gif

Special thanks to Cath and Chico Riches for bringing Shirley over for a visitthumbsup.gif, and Julie for bringing Greety,,beer.gif

to Taffy for serenading the taxi queue with a loud rendition of "Can't Get Over These Mammories" whilst looking

loveingly at Traceyinnocent.gif, to Ali and John, Chalky, Kerry, Spot (and his mirth)laugh.gif, Gail, Donna and Dave, Dave Fleming,

Geoff, RBman (sniffer!rolleyes.gif) The Box friendship corner, PS Soul(ies) Andy and Heather, Soul Sam, Fish, Dave Lucas,Colin and Shirley, Brigitte,Mr and Mrs Lupton, Franc G

Craig and Debbie, Roger Saint and Sue, Kitch, Julia,Byrney, Dean the sweetie fan, Val and Disco Hair,

Flanny, Debs, Steve Woomble, Patto, Trev and Claire, Pete Burke and Arthur Fenn,blink.gif in fact all our friends there, old and new, please feel free to tag yourselves when the photos are posted up later by Maria who also played some great music, thank you M for the Karen Striblin dedicationwink.gif

Thanks to everyone of you for making the night VERY special.hatsoff2.gif

Love Karen xxx

Edited by karen b

I know it's considered a bit desperate by some to thank promoters for dj spots, but I really do want to thank Karen and Maria for letting me be part of the wonderful Boomerang Experience! Such a great 'up for it' crowd and so many friends made it feel like dj'ing a private party!!

I arrived just after 8 to find the bar and restaurant vrtually empty. Following the music into the room I realised why...because everyone was in here and already dancing. My plans for a downtempo 9.00 set while everyone had a drink and caught up, went quickly out of the window as Maria and Arthur continued to fill the floor and people continued to arrive. Fantastic surprise to see the VaVaVoom/ Runaway love posse up from that London, walk through the door, (big hugs to you all), and great to catch up with my mate Jon Bradley who i've been knocking about with since I was eleven (albeit with a 20 year gap somewhere in the middle).

Musically, as good as it was socially and truly great to Hear Andy Whitmore play some absolutely stunning stuff in both his sets (really hope that you post a playlist Andy, because there were so many things I wanted to ask you about but didn't get chance...that Herman Hitson ....WuuuuFF!!!) and made me wish we could hear you more often.

Just a fantastic fantastic night and as has been said,long may Boomerang continue!

Playlists-more or less in order as I remember...

set 1 9.00-9.30

LT and the Soulful Dynamics-Crazy about you baby

Soul Aces-You're different
Exquisites-Just couldn't make it

Robert Montgomery and Chain Reaction-I Need You Girl

Double o's Demingos-Colour one tear black

Enchanters-There's a look about you

Saints -I'll let you slide

Four Dynamics-Things a lady aint suppose to do

Sag War Fare-Dont be so jive

Cindy and the Playmates-dont stop this train

Mickey and the Soul Generation-Hey Brother Man

Set 2 12.15-1.00

Wanda Mcdaniels and the ultimate Choice-Gangster Boy

Sweet Mixture- House of Fun and Love

Anubis-Ecology

Everyday people-World Full of People

Gold-what about the Child?

Doc Peabody-Here without you

Nobodys Children- Shardarp

Harvey Scales-Trying to Survive

Billy Byrd- Lost in a Crowd

Ice -Reality

Freddie Williams Capt Boo and the Funky space cadets-Ever good lovin

Crystal's image-A Friend

carl Carlton-I can Feel it

Purple Mundi-Stop Hurtin Me Baby

Willie Wright- Right on for the Darkness

.....Which is where the ligfhts came on, and it then went a bit random for the next twenty five minutes because i kept thinking the plug was going to be pulled......

Cosmos Universal Band-Third Eye
'Eddie Levert'-Life is a miracle (C/U)Singing Tornados-Travelling through the land

Kool and the Gang -Chocolate Buttermilk

Vee Gees- Talkin

Willie Tee -Teasin you again

Edited by DtheD
Guest Derbyshire Bint

Great night :lol:

Great tunes :thumbsup:

Great company :thumbsup:

I've added a few more tunes to my wants list.............as if..... . !!!! Still a girl can dream!!. Thank you to Maria for playing Third Eye.

Finally it's here again, the eagerly anticipated finale Thorne 2010, so the Magnificent 7 of Gail & I,Chalky & Kerry,Kev & Pauline with Kenny plus bringing up the rear Steve LeAir & our Gary, all gather at mine for a Stella or 2 before lighting the blue touch paper & shooting off to Boomarang. I spot Gilly & Inspector Maigret (Rob Kay) on arrival enjoying a tar stick & a draw on the Briar outside & after libations are purchased it's down the yellow brick road to Oz to be greeted by Carole Smileys even more smiley miley friend Karen B & a host of delicacys on display plus some buns & sweets :thumbsup: ,Maria's there with Guiness & straw, worrying about the sound quality as usual, well it was utterly fine. The place is already very busy with the usual suspect scatter around, Geoff & RB Man, Dave & Donna with Brigitte, Dave & Val Box, The Donny duo Paul & Sue,Nocola, Pete Burke, Big "Yorkie" Ian with Patto,Debbie & Sue, the lovely Our Vicky, Col & Shirl with chauffeur Gibby & as the night darkened an array of other wise & like minded people enjoying themselves, till it was almost as full as when the mighty Mr Dobson graced us with his wonderfulness.:D

I don't think I've ever heard a bad tune played here,well to my untrained ear anyway & tonight was no exception & as ever Arthur played Bobby Rich for me, the floor was busy almost from the word go, Mr Whitmore & Ripoles played some mouth watering stuff with a lovely flow to each set that kept all around on their toes & wishing for more, Mrs Whitmore you should let him out to play more often South of the border. Before we knew it 1am was here,were did the time go? A reflection of just how good it was, so now comes the task of rounding up the posse, cos the mini bus is here & KItch,Dean & their cohorts are eyeing it up to taxi jack, a bit like car jacking but more people to share the blame & drive if some are drunk.Anyway after 20 min's plus I finally manage to carole my team & head home for chit chat & a night cap, so till next time be good & if you can't be good, don't get caught.:boxing:

Take care,be safe & remember,"I've got a never ending love for you,from now on thats all I wanna do,from the first time we met I knew",

Spot.:thumbsup:

A proper night of fun, frolics and friendship. And tunes of fabulousness!!

And I think The Captain enjoyed it too, so I'll say well done from him as well..... even though I think he's still sleeping it off in the back bedroom....

Well done Boomerangers! Jolly good show!

(Don't know if I'm supposed to post a youtube clip or not, but this was the biggie for me.... Ace!! Cheers Dave!!)

Guest Johnny One Trout

Just a quick thanks to Arthur and Maria for inviting us up to come up to Boomerang and treating us to their special brand of hospitality, marvelous breakfast darlings set us up for the drive home and the rest of the day to be honest.

Musically this was one of the best nights i've been to in years and as an added bonus it was populated by some of my very favourite people.

All in all a most splendiferous evening

Johnners and Ali bongo xx

Another top night at Boomerang,thanks to Maria,Karen & Co for keeping with it,great sets played by all the Djs on the night each bringing something different to the table,but i must tip my hat to Dave R as Dave`s sets are a breath of fresh air,quality guy with quality records,a great friendly crowd as allways,nice to see John & Ali N back with the old crowd :rolleyes: ,also thanks to my mate Craig who drove us there in record time,allready booked up for the 5th Feb to see me old mate Val hit the decks :D

Dave f..........

Guest The Truth Hurts

Sincere thanks to all for your show .Tuned up big time, thanks for the playlists ,great atmosphere,like minded souls .It is appreciated .

martin leach

Better keep things tidy and post up my plays.

As resident and co-promoter, it's part of my job to keep more to regular plays at Boomerang, especially as so many of our guest dj's then tell me that I make them look good!

...but working away long-term makes you very tired and lazy anyway :yes:

Hopefully a classic for everyone in there somewhere:

8pm starters:

Beloyd - Get Into Your Life (20 Century)

Choice Of Colour - "You Love" (Apt)

The Ethics - I Want My Baby Back (Vent)

Marshall, Donovan, Broomfield - Since I Found My Baby (Augusta)

Inell Young - What Do You See In Her (Libra)

Love, Peace & Happiness - Strip Me Naked (RCA)

George Hobson - Let It Be Real (Sound City)

Spider Turner - I've Got To Get Myself Together (Before I Lose My Mind) (Good Time)

Blues Bag Ltd - I Am Gonna Love You (Plum)

The Jackey Beavers Show - We're Not Too Young To Fall In Love (Jaber)

Channel 3 - The Sweetest Thing (Dakar)

The Precious Three - I Need A Man (Ref-O-Ree)

early middle of the night...

Ujima - I'm Not Ready (Epic)

Second Re$surrection - You Done Let Daylight Catch You (Stanson)

Karen Stribling - We're Not Too Young (To Fall In Love) (Jaber)

Karmello Brooks - Tell Me, Baby (Milestone)

Out Of Sights - For The Rest Of My Life (Saru)

The Districts - One Lover (Just Won't Do) (Nile)

The Four Voices - With A Lonely Heart (Voice)

Tommy & the Derby's - Don't Play the Role (Swing)

Richard Caiton - I Like To Get Near You (Up Tight)

Third Eye - Cosmos Universal Band (Api Atteiram)

Tony Love - One Man's Woman (Pt. 1) (Ahura Mazda)

The H. Andrews Congregation - Stop! Leave Me Alone (Balance)

The Hamilton Movement - She's Gone (Look-Out)

Betty Wilson and The 4 Bars - I'm Yours (Dayco)

'til next time,

m

And I think The Captain enjoyed it too, so I'll say well done from him as well..... even though I think he's still sleeping it off in the back bedroom....

(Don't know if I'm supposed to post a youtube clip or not, but this was the biggie for me.... Ace!! Cheers Dave!!)

That's a cracking tune indeed!

Guest karen b

Thanks for your kind comments Steve and for posting up this fab cliphatsoff2.gif

Love Kazza! x

• 2 weeks later...

Phew,

Thats my computor thawed out and the padlocks chopped off the record boxes after last weeks winter wonderland,.......bbbbbbrrrrrr minus 16 with snow to match!!!

mmmmmm i wonder were Jocks hiding when i need his comforting warm words to motivate me ? bet hes outside building an Igloo just in case it turns cold again ????

What can i say that hasnt already been said about Thorne,what a great night with a top crowd for sure, hey how busy was it? -standing room only!!!

Hats off to The Thorne Soul night crew and disc jockeys for pulling the night together .....a great selection of music played on the night for sure ........ :lol:

6 tingling xover and 7ts soul movers that proved to be a popular on the night for me were outings by:- Sammy Gordons and U.R.B,Brothers Unlimited, 7 Nombres,Holidays ,Unity and The Fabulos Filtratiions ......jus to mention a few!!!

Keeping the faith....

tfk

Edited by TFK
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest karen b

Phew,

Thats my computor thawed out and the padlocks chopped off the record boxes after last weeks winter wonderland,.......bbbbbbrrrrrr minus 16 with snow to match!!!

mmmmmm i wonder were Jocks hiding when i need his comforting warm words to motivate me ? bet hes outside building an Igloo just in case it turns cold again ????

What can i say that hasnt already been said about Thorne,what a great night with a top crowd for sure, hey how busy was it? -standing room only!!!

Hats off to The Thorne Soul night crew and disc jockeys for pulling the night together .....a great selection of music played on the night for sure ........ :thumbsup:

6 tingling xover and 7ts soul movers that proved to be a popular on the night for me were outings by:- Sammy Gordons and U.R.B,Brothers Unlimited, 7 Nombres,Holidays ,Unity and The Fabulos Filtratiions ......jus to mention a few!!!

Keeping the faith....

tfk

Just caught up and seen your post Andyblush.gif

Thanks again to you and Suzanne for making the long journey down and making it such a great nightyes.gif

Hope to see you soon in 2011wave.gif

Love Karen xxx