Mike

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

We're proud to be putting Syl Johnson on stage 2 Fridays from now at Dig Deeper in Brooklyn on Dec 3rd, it's going to be superb, for any of you lucky enough to be around New York then here's all the details:

https://www.fryer-man...ic.php?f=1&t=58

may wanna add it to the event guide

if enter location it'll show on map as well which is a bit light on us events

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

We're proud to be putting Syl Johnson on stage 2 Fridays from now at Dig Deeper in Brooklyn on Dec 3rd, it's going to be superb, for any of you lucky enough to be around New York then here's all the details:

https://www.fryer-man...ic.php?f=1&t=58

like the great man sang...."it took a whole lot of doing but we did it"..........magic stuff.:lol:

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

saw syl johnson at dave box's birthday at the frobisher he was awesome

Me and the late Glenn Hunter were there aswell, fantastic night, cheers Jim.

Social source share

A worthy project and a sumptuous piece of packaging...but why did the guy in the YouTube clip insist on throwing the discs down to give it some kinda 'weight = quality' approach!? Did anyone else cringe when he cut through the packaging...no protection over the cover, so the blade could've gone and cut the sleeve there and then...ouch!

:lol:

Social source share

ehhhh...... Pitchfork only gives it 6.8 out of 10. Syl is not as raw as James Brown, not as funny as Joe Tex & not as successful as Al Green. Numero shouldn't have bothered & just done a concise single CD..............

James Brown biographer Douglas Wolk reviews Syl Johnson's Complete Mythology

An "also ran" with a most distinctive voice.Love all his stuff.Now what am i doing DEC 2nd onwards???:rolleyes: .

One i like is "Take me back" on Twinight,soundclip anyone?

Social source share

Saw him in Perth Oz 18 months ago. Totally brilliant and so in control of his guitar. Did "Is it because I'm black" absolute awesome poignant record. Real energy in his performance considering he's on the wrong side of 70. His show had something for everyone, ballads, soul and blues thumpers and funk.

Well known producer too, apparently took a girl from the band backing him in Australia over to the States and is writing and producing for her. He hung around after the show and chatted until we got thrown out. Seemed genuinely appreciative of the almost all white audiences knowledge and love of soul music.

Didn't drink when he was younger, but I think he likes a smoke, (allegedly) even though his wife is a police commisioner!

I'd love to see him perform again and will definitely buy the anthology.

Edited by cementman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!