Another Bobby Valentin On The Bay

Chalky

• Replies 59
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bet theres a few of these tucked away in 80's mod collections (circa 1985)

Well there would be in mine, but I can't find the bloody thing! I think I must have lent it to someone 20 years ago. angry.gif

Social source share

Bet theres a few of these tucked away in 80's mod collections (circa 1985)

and there are copys in funk / Latin Djs collections

they are out there

it is a great record and people tend to hang on to it

there are many other great Boogaloo records that have not created this much fuss.

And they are the ones I am more interested in .

"Use it" was / is a great tune - but it has recently been a victim of overkill and hype IMO .

I still have all Bobbys original LPs I but have Sold all 3 off his gold Fania 45s .

I just know they are out there and will be in the future ! thumbsup.gif

Harvey Averne "never learned to dance" is 100 times rarer than bobby valentin IMO

And Bobby's rarest 45 and best Boogaloo tune is "geronimo" IMO

Edited by mossy
Social source share

it wasn't just mods collecting this in the 80's , it was massive on the northern scene too so no doubt a few tucked away there too.

Bobby V was big around mid / late 80s on both scenes.

Its just that the Mod scene dug into the Jazz / Latin / Boogaloo / 60s things deeper .

I just cant understand why the northern soul scene has only recognised and accepted this one single fania 45.

Oh and Hector Rivera at the 100 club

and Harvey Averne in recent years ( brilliant and top latino tune)

but there are loads of stunning soulful 60s Latin / Boogaloo records.

its just a shame to just play the same one over and over again !

Social source share

The pressing figures suggest otherwise.

I seem to remember that you wrote the exact pressing figure for the "Use It Before You Lose It" 45 in a previous thread, but I've forgotten what it was. Do you remember? 500? 1000?

That Bobby Valentin tune is one of the best ever examples of boogaloo / uptempo latin soul and the 45 has been nigh on impossible to get ahold of during the past 10 years. Very few copies has come up for sale "out in the open" (i.e. auctions/lists/etc.). Its availability/price 15-25+ years ago is not relevant. It is also irrelevant that there might be copies sitting in people's collections unless those people decided to sell them and flood/stabilize the market. All things considered, the amounts that this 45 has sold for in recent Manship/eBay auctions is spot-on in my opinion.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I seem to remember that you wrote the exact pressing figure for the "Use It Before You Lose It" 45 in a previous thread, but I've forgotten what it was. Do you remember? 500? 1000?

That Bobby Valentin tune is one of the best ever examples of boogaloo / uptempo latin soul and the 45 has been nigh on impossible to get ahold of during the past 10 years. Very few copies has come up for sale "out in the open" (i.e. auctions/lists/etc.). Its availability/price 15-25+ years ago is not relevant. It is also irrelevant that there might be copies sitting in people's collections unless those people decided to sell them and flood/stabilize the market. All things considered, the amounts that this 45 has sold for in recent Manship/eBay auctions is spot-on in my opinion.

Without looking it up I can't be sure. But the Harvey ran to at least 200 promos printed, and that's before the number of issue copies. Valentin was earlier, not aimed at the soul market, and apart from a couple of titles Gold Fania 45s really didn't sell very many at all.

I also have the impression that Harvey has turned up fairly regularly in the past decade - no doubt helped by Harvey selling anything between 50 & 100 in the middle part of the last decade. Bobby Valentin has hardly turned up at all until the weeks that have followed the high price on Manship's auction.

Surely if three copies have gone for this price, that is what it's worth. But if not, I'll happily pay £250 for a mint copy.

Edited by Dean Rudland
Social source share

Without looking it up I can't be sure. But the Harvey ran to at least 200 promos printed, and that's before the number of issue copies. Valentin was earlier, not aimed at the soul market, and apart from a couple of titles Gold Fania 45s really didn't sell very many at all.

I also have the impression that Harvey has turned up fairly regularly in the past decade - no doubt helped by Harvey selling anything between 50 & 100 in the middle part of the last decade. Bobby Valentin has hardly turned up at all until the weeks that have followed the high price on Manship's auction.

Surely if three copies have gone for this price, that is what it's worth. But if not, I'll happily pay £250 for a mint copy.

Its down to your experience I guess.

I know of more people with copy's of "use it" than "never learned to dance"

And of course if the prices people are willing to pay at the moment for "use it" is in the high hundreds then that is what its going for.

personally I think that it will be a £300 record again when all the fuss has died down.

and northern soul DJs have overplayed it even more so that it already has been.

Social source share

I personally don't think BV is worth more than £400. To suddenly jump form £350ish to almost £1k is plain ridiculous. Seb says nigh on impossible to locate....well including the one on JM's there have been 5 or 6 copies, two on bay, at least one offered for sale on here and one other elsewhere. But if some want to pay £1k for a record that has been hammered to death then thats up to them.

Harvey Averne has been about years and could be got cheap, it's only last few years the price has jumped.

There are others on the label that have been embraced by the Rare (Northern) Soul Scene, or parts of it, just not as widely.

Mossy, get onn the Fania topic from a while ago inn SharpnEnd and educate these Northern heathens biggrin.gif

Social source share

I personally don't think BV is worth more than £400. To suddenly jump form £350ish to almost £1k is plain ridiculous. Seb says nigh on impossible to locate....well including the one on JM's there have been 5 or 6 copies, two on bay, at least one offered for sale on here and one other elsewhere. But if some want to pay £1k for a record that has been hammered to death then thats up to them.

Well, I know of three persons in Berlin who own it...so it can`t be that rare really LOL ! Used to love it when I first heard it mid 80s...since then it has been so hammered and overplayed that I will mostly to be found outside having a smoke when this one gets on the decks :rolleyes:

Social source share

I'd have personally thought that £400 - £500 for BV was a fair price nowadays.

However, most who already own it don't seem to want to sell it at that price.....nor have hundereds suddenly flooded on the market with the recent auction prices.

So if those that have it don't want to sell it, and plenty of others want to buy it....then this becomes it's current true value.

Simple supply and demand.

Warren recently stated that he would willingly sell his for a grand.

Interested to know if he has sold it, or offered it up cus I bet his heart strings keep telling him not :rolleyes:

I wouldn't sell mine for £1000, and I ain't bothered if it drops back to £300 in 6 months time, and if I needed the money I'd sell plenty of other stuff first :thumbup:

It's always gonna be top quality Latin boogaloo, regardless of how many times it has been played on the Northern/Mod scenes in the last 20+years.

Social source share

:thumbup::lol::rolleyes:

Try to find a copy of Pete Terrace -I'm gonna make it :lol:

I've got a spare on the French Vogue E.P. with the excellent 'It's boogaloo time', and a cool pic sleeve if you want to make me an offer :lol:

Also had it on U.K. promo a while back, but let it go when I got my copy of this E.P.

Social source share

It was a popular mid eighties record on the mod scene and also the london jazz scene in general. Im sure there are a few sat in collections.These records were also collected by World Music Collectors/Latin Jazz afficionados around the early to late eighties as well....there was an early comp released (memorys going...but it's the one with Bad Breath on) by Dave Hucker and there were the Jazz Juice things that fueled it..These records infiltrated London club land around that time with the jazz Working Week/Absolute Beginners boom ....Club Sondico/The Wag etc and places like Soul Jazz opened up.Bought most of my latin soul things around this time (but not Bobby Valentin) then started buying the latin jazz.I know a mate who I will be visiting at New Year whose buying stopped in 87....and I'm sure he has this along with Gypsy Woman,Soft Walkin,Ernstine Anderson,Mowhawks Lp,Little Sonny, Berts Apple Crumble,Shmon etc etc....it's a mod time capsule of records up to 87.I'm sure it was that popular it got booted on a 3 track ep..I know from the mod scene at the time it was Ray Barretto's Soul Drummers/Mercy Mercy BabyJimmy Castor-Hey Leroy...the later Magic Saxaphone(got both US demo and UK issue ),Joe Cubas-El Pito,Hey Joe,Sock It To Me,Mongo Santamarias-Cloud 9,25 Miles, Prince And Princess,Rubies-Spanish Boy......some clubs played this stuff all night.I'm sure Dave Darlow in Scarborough had a copy and I would bet Paul Hallam having a copy.Dean Rudland on here may have a copy.Baz Fe Jazz has probably got a copy...Right On by Ray Barretto was that popular in clubland that it got booted on a uk 12" backed with Gerry Woos Jive Samba........It seems Bobby V is a same old same old oldie now.....but an expensive one (for the moment)?

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Dave Darlow in Scarborough

Now there's a name I haven't heard for a long time.

Sorry to be off-topic but has anyone got a contact for Dave Darlow?

I remember he used to hammer 'Chinatown' so much that some-one adapted a cartoon strip of his lookalike Roger Mellie from Viz walking around with a record box that had 'Victor Knight Box Set' written on it :rolleyes:

Social source share

floor filler yes, hammered probably, but not clean out of sight, worth filthy lucre....well, it obviously depends who's got the dosh to spend, especially if its a vulture, sitting on the fence waiting for the right opportunity to come along. i think right now, if it were about to tip £300 the world and his dog would be clammering for it, similar chance as winning the lottery...but with less than a handfull of people in the game its more like roulette...who stays the distance.

id much rather be looking admiringly at the cecil washington that someone, on here, had up for offers last week....that really IS a tune to complement your detroit selection AND that, i think, does deserve its value....and money WELL SPENT!

Social source share

I've got a spare on the French Vogue E.P. with the excellent 'It's boogaloo time', and a cool pic sleeve if you want to make me an offer :thumbsup:

Also had it on U.K. promo a while back, but let it go when I got my copy of this E.P.

Does it have "I'm gonna make it"? I have a copy (on PYE), but I know a guy who is desperately looking for one!

Social source share

Its down to your experience I guess.

I know of more people with copy's of "use it" than "never learned to dance"

And of course if the prices people are willing to pay at the moment for "use it" is in the high hundreds then that is what its going for.

personally I think that it will be a £300 record again when all the fuss has died down.

and northern soul DJs have overplayed it even more so that it already has been.

Was It You That Had This On A list A little While Back At £300 ??

Social source share

Was It You That Had This On A list A little While Back At £300 ??

Yes, It came through an old Mod but it wasn't mint .

Joe Dunlop sold a mint one for £300 quid a little while back.

I thought it was realistic.

Nobody's gonna offer it for that price again for a while, with all the fuss etc.

But I stll think its just a glitch at the moment

A few DJs with money to spend chasing the same record with a fervour.

In my opinion it is going for twice as much as it is worth at the moment.

That's my view and I am sticking to it

I see John Manship has put Joe Bataan - Subway Joe on his auction.

I will be interested to see what that achieves.

I think its great BTW all the renewed interest in Latin stuff.

I've always been a huge fan.

Social source share

Yes, It came through an old Mod but it wasn't mint .

Joe Dunlop sold a mint one for £300 quid a little while back.

I thought it was realistic.

Nobody's gonna offer it for that price again for a while, with all the fuss etc.

But I stll think its just a glitch at the moment

A few DJs with money to spend chasing the same record with a fervour.

In my opinion it is going for twice as much as it is worth at the moment.

That's my view and I am sticking to it

Agreed ! ! Looking at the prices at the moment it seems to be punching way above it's weight , so to speak ! ! but hey good luck to whoever is getting these prices!! Nice xmas box top up !! Atb john :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Agreed ! ! Looking at the prices at the moment it seems to be punching way above it's weight , so to speak ! ! but hey good luck to whoever is getting these prices!! Nice xmas box top up !! Atb john :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Absolutely! Many great tracks on LPs from that time.

That Ralphie Robles is fanatastic. Do you know the Pete Bonet album on Swinger, 'Puerto Rican Soul' from that album is a monster.

"Come and get it " is the stand out track on the "Ralph Robles was here" LP for me.

Absolutely kicks arse !

I know the Pete Bonet track - another great Soul track with great English vocals and a fantastic horn section - but I don't have the LP

Don't tell every one Dean !

Not till I get a copy - The Soulies will out price me off the market!!! laugh.gif

Social source share

I once sold a peruan copy of this complete with orig. factory sleeve, now that was a rare latin record .

Nice !!! and very unusual !!

I saw an Argentinian Atlantic seven inch copy that played at 33 rpm of Willie Rosarios - Watusi Boogaloo

the other week on e bay for a cheap buy it now.

I really should have got that.

I went back for it - it had gone of course.

Social source share

Nice !!! and very unusual !!

I saw an Argentinian Atlantic seven inch copy that played at 33 rpm of Willie Rosarios - Watusi Boogaloo

the other week on e bay for a cheap buy it now.

I really should have got that.

I went back for it - it had gone of course.

[/quote

Thas the problem with Ebay blink and it's gone on Buy It Now !! Just moved into a smaller house so haven't got the space for albums but I know where you are coming from!!:ohmy::thumbsup:

Social source share

"Come and get it " is the stand out track on the "Ralph Robles was here" LP for me.

Absolutely kicks arse !

I know the Pete Bonet track - another great Soul track with great English vocals and a fantastic horn section - but I don't have the LP

Don't tell every one Dean !

Not till I get a copy - The Soulies will out price me off the market!!! laugh.gif

Took me 13 years to find out what it was after I heard Peterson play it at the WAG in the late 80s, it then took me another five years to find it.

Turned out Peterson was playing Piller's copy and I just needed to mention it to him!

Social source share

Mossy, get onn the Fania topic from a while ago inn SharpnEnd and educate these Northern heathens biggrin.gif

laugh.gif I didn't realise that had been pinned in that section.

And I am in no position to educate anyone , LOL

I shall however post a few of my favs on there when I have some spare time.

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Always remember Gary Rushbrooke playing this at the Leciester oddfellows think it was early 80's

Great track but will be over killed soon just like jimmy frazer-hopes dreams etc

Social source share

Does it have "I'm gonna make it"? I have a copy (on PYE), but I know a guy who is desperately looking for one!

Most beutiful release of "I'm gonna make it it" is the italian single on Bluebell. Lovely and quite elusive.

%3ca%20href=PeteTerrace.jpg

Edited by dimples
Social source share

Most beutiful release of "I'm gonna make it it" is the italian single on Bluebell. Lovely and quite elusive.

Thats a fantastic cover !!!!!

I would do the Boogaloo all night with those two ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Took me 13 years to find out what it was after I heard Peterson play it at the WAG in the late 80s, it then took me another five years to find it.

Turned out Peterson was playing Piller's copy and I just needed to mention it to him!

Fair play to Ed

He knew his stuff, I met him and Terry Rawlings through company in the 90s

Long after they had moved on from the Mod scene - I think Eddie had already started Acid Jazz

Terry had a flat in Rotherhide South London at the time , we went round for a smoke and I was in total respect.

These guys knew their stuff !

and they were both really nice people.

Looking back - one thing in common with all the guys that have done well with obscure music - they

all have one thing in common - really nice natural personalities.

People like Ady Crosdell and Alan Handscombe that I met in London who have done great things were

also naturally really lovley people and great hosts.

Giles Peterson seems to be still a bit ego driven ?

Imagine you or I posing for a personal photo on the front of a CD that we had compiled for someone ?

"Mossy Digs New York" ....... or " Dean Digs Del Barrio"

"big photo of me with lots of vinyl"

I think he is still a really vain person !

He is only digging crates like us.

I digress .......................................

Bobby Valentin it was...........

Edited by mossy
Social source share

That sleeve is a portion cut from the pic sleev to the album 'King of the Boogaloo'

Would like to see label design if you could send me a scan :thumbsup:

Pretty sure my European (French Vogue?) 7" copy of 'No, no, no / At the party' uses same/similar sleeve design.

Would have to dig it out to check.

Doesn't the Bluebell release only have DM Boogaloo on flip?

The French Vogue E.P. has the bonus of having 'It's boogaloo time' on as well, which is another great track and as far as I'm aware, only had a 7" release on this E.P and on Argentinas Music Hall label (2 track 33rpm)

Social source share

I'd have personally thought that £400 - £500 for BV was a fair price nowadays.

However, most who already own it don't seem to want to sell it at that price.....nor have hundereds suddenly flooded on the market with the recent auction prices.

So if those that have it don't want to sell it, and plenty of others want to buy it....then this becomes it's current true value.

Simple supply and demand.

Warren recently stated that he would willingly sell his for a grand.

Interested to know if he has sold it, or offered it up cus I bet his heart strings keep telling him not :thumbsup:

I wouldn't sell mine for £1000, and I ain't bothered if it drops back to £300 in 6 months time, and if I needed the money I'd sell plenty of other stuff first wink.gif

It's always gonna be top quality Latin boogaloo, regardless of how many times it has been played on the Northern/Mod scenes in the last 20+years.

Agree 100% mace,i got mine off Ashibende (who discovered it) at stafford time and i've never found it since,another example of one time one find like billy hambric's etc.. it's a fabulous feel good dance track....

Social source share

That sleeve is a portion cut from the pic sleev to the album 'King of the Boogaloo'

Pretty sure my European (French Vogue?) 7" copy of 'No, no, no / At the party' uses same/similar sleeve design.

The French Vogue E.P. has the bonus of having 'It's boogaloo time' on as well, which is another great track and as far as I'm aware, only had a 7" release on this E.P and on Argentinas Music Hall label (2 track 33rpm)

PeteTerrace "no no no" also came out out over here on pye international didn't it.

I definitely had something on red and yellow uk pye by him.

and something on pink pye, shot gun I think it was

I never thought that much of them at the time

compared to the fania stuff I thought he was a bit weak

I must give him another listen

I have seen the lp a couple of times but have passed over it cause

I remember not being that impressed with the pye 45s

post em up Mace

I ain't heard them 45s for years

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I'll try to sort a scan of the italian single label as soon as possible. Yes it's only DM Boogaloo on the other side but I much prefer singles than EPs, they play louder.

The other european release with similar sleeve design is from Germany, Somerset label and has "At the Party" and "No! no! no!" back to back. Very nice indeed.

Social source share

Giles Peterson seems to be still a bit ego driven ?

Imagine you or I posing for a personal photo on the front of a CD that we had compiled for someone ?

"Mossy Digs New York" ....... or " Dean Digs Del Barrio"

"big photo of me with lots of vinyl"

I think he is still a really vain person !

He is only digging crates like us.

I digress .......................................

Bobby Valentin it was...........

That's the game he's in I guess. Gilles' name sells records, and he gets paid a lot of money to put those things together for that reason. Also he knows his stuff, and is simply the best DJ I have ever seen play in a club. His sets at Dingwalls in the late 80s are to me what Searling at Wigan, or Levine & Curtis at Blackpool are to many of the people on this board.

But yes that is digression.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!