Ramona Collins - You've Been Cheating

George G

Today I learned about the long and short intro versions of Ramona Collins - Youve Been Cheating on Clarks (I know her name is mispelled Romona on the label) What is the story behind these? Can you ID them by looking at the labels and what would be the distingushing info? Is there a big difference in rarity?

I'm guessing the price on this is around $2000 or 1200-1300 quid?

TIA

George

Edited by George G
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

All the copies I've seen are credited to Romona Collins how do we know its mispelled? I didn't think there was any difference in the labels, I'd rather have the "long intro" the other one is slower as well isn't it, wheres Chalky when you need him?

I don't think there's any question about her correct name....Of all the Toledo peformers that made a soul record, she seems to had the most staying power.

yeah, I agree the long intro is better. The short one sounds like it comes in the middle of a beat and is jarring. The rest of the song seems to be the same.

https://www.ramonacollins.com/bio.html

- george

Social source share

I was told there was three different takes, someone had all three at same time, same take except for intro (long and short) and other could be the slower one Tony mentions.

I have I think scans of both long and slow at home, I'll see if I can find them when I get home. Don't recall seeing two different spelling of name?

Social source share

Today I learned about the long and short intro versions of Ramona Collins - Youve Been Cheating on Clarks (I know her name is mispelled Romona on the label) What is the story behind these? Can you ID them by looking at the labels and what would be the distingushing info? Is there a big difference in rarity?

I'm guessing the price on this is around $2000 or 1200-1300 quid?

TIA

George

Social source share

I'd have to think back ,when i worked at browny's sure martin kopell found around 6 copies or so of it and there was 3 different mixes / matrix's ,a couple made the list - but i remember buying 2or 3 of them and selling a couple of them on ,something tells me the ending and times were different -also all the copy's vinyl wear ...come to think of it i've never had a minter of it.

I'll try find some notes that i made at the time.

Social source share

Thanks a lot for all the info....I would appreciate it if you come across the info and can make a definitive ID for the different pressings. It is odd that a record this rare would have a couple different edits, but that's all part of the fun, eh?

Anyone ever go to the Clark brothers record store? I know someone who did so I need to ask them if they remember anything about it.

George

Social source share

Just to add a little more to this. Think she sold the one she found and no longer has one herself. She still sings in local Jazz clubs around the Toledo area. The Label owner Mr Clark, owned the local record store and recording studio, some time in the 70's he shot the local football coach and went to The Pen, after leaving there he disappeared.

Was talking to some locals only last week, it seems that the record store passed on to another member of the family, but didn't last much longer. When the store closed all the stock was thrown into a dumpster, the building was then pulled down, when a new highway was built, the whole area is now a six lane highway.

Social source share

If its down to the time like Andy says this one's bang on 2.42 so is this the long intro copy.

Just listened to Ted's copy in refo, long intro but its a few seconds shorter than the sound clip I have and I can't find where she says Your Mama's Leaving on my old copy at the end, its never said at all and Ted's copy says it twice but one is in the fade out. :rolleyes:

post-6504-0-45048700-1291251977_thumb.jp

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Thanks again for the continued flow of information. Mr Prophonics, could you give the deadwax details? (I have the record in you avatar BTW)

The 'short intro' version is posted on Youtube, I have not listed to the ending vs the Refosoul clip to see if it's more like that or the copy Mr. P has.

:thumbsup:

George

Social source share

Thanks again for the continued flow of information. Mr Prophonics, could you give the deadwax details? (I have the record in you avatar BTW)

The 'short intro' version is posted on Youtube, I have not listed to the ending vs the Refosoul clip to see if it's more like that or the copy Mr. P has.

:yes:

George

Oops sold it and never looked. but it was 2.42 long.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!