Unexpected Writing On Labels - Any Stories

Dean

Topic inspired by receiving today the quite ordinary SS715 Lp Earl Van Dyke - The Earl of Funk. Ebay add said "Some writing on sleeve".

Upon arrival writing (handwritten) on sleeve goes:

"To The Sweetest lady I Know

God Bless You

George Benson '70"

Thought the writing on label was more interesting than the album. Must be a story there. Who was the sweetest lady George Benson knew? I'm aware this isn't "On Broadway" George Benson, but the Jazz detroit saxophonist from the Funk Brothers. I just love the history of these records, and the hand writing just makes it more of an item fo me.

Got any label/sleeve scrawlings that are interesting over the years?

Edited by Dean
Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I put a video on YouTube and the record had some writtings on it........a few month later Roger Gatchet sent me an email....

Hi man!

My name is Roger Gatchet, and I'm a blues DJ in Waco, Texas and write for Living Blues magazine. I recently discovered your YouTube page and found the wonderful video of the song "Tender Loving Care" by one of my all-time favorite Austin soul groups, the Mustangs, featuring Matthew Robinson on lead vocals. I am good friends with Matthew and wrote a story about him for Living Blues. I recognize the record spinning in your video.

Funny story about that record: it was once owned by a record store owner and drummer in Austin named Mike Buck (he was the first drummer in the Fabulous Thunderbirds band). You can see his initials "MB" on the label there. Mike gave the record to a friend in Austin to give to Matthew Robinson, but the guy ended up selling it to a record collector named Noel Waggener, who then sold it on eBay a couple years ago. You may be the guy who bought it from Noel on the eBay auction.

Anyways, I'm writing to for two reasons: first, to thank you for posting the video on YouTube, and second, to see if you might be able to emial me a digital copy of the songs on the Mustangs 45. As you know it is an extremely rare record, and Matthew Robinson and the remaining bandmates who are still alive don't have any copies of it. They haven't heard the song in years, and I'm trying hard to get a copy of it so I can give it to them and let them hear it again. You're the only person I know in the world who owns this record, and I couldn't afford to buy a copy of it even if I was able to find someone willing to send it. They only pressed a very limited number of 45s (it was their prize for winning a Battle of the Bands). If you can help me out I would really appreciate it!

Check out the article on Matthew Robinson!!! Fantastic reading !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

My link

and here is the record:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Topic inspired by receiving today the quite ordinary SS715 Lp Earl Van Dyke - The Earl of Funk. Ebay add said "Some writing on sleeve".

God Bless You

George Benson '70"

Thought the writing on label was more interesting than the album. Must be a story there. Who was the sweetest lady George Benson knew? I'm aware this isn't "On Broadway" George Benson, but the Jazz detroit saxophonist from the Funk Brothers. I just love the history of these records, and the hand writing just makes it more of an item fo me.

Yes your right Dean theres a George Benson name pops-up on certain sessions seen it a few times.

Social source share

I collect Sheet Music and bought a copy of Still Water by the Four Tops a few years ago. That also was advertised as Writing On Paper. Arrived safely and on inspection it revealed the writing was actually the four autographs of the guys under their individual faces on the picture! Result!

Can't be many artifacts with all four of the Four Tops signatures on them. Wouldn't trade/sell it for a gold clock. Framed in my record room along with some other nice bits.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I have a Bell sleeve signed by the four (at the time) O'Jays. Bought off eBay as 'writing on sleeve'.

I also have a Big Jay Bush 'Dynamite' (on Red Bug) with contact and booking info written on the sleeve - found junking in Ohio years ago

- George

Many moons ago , I purchased a U.S. Brunswick copy of Barbara Acklin's " Love Makes A Woman " alnum , from a seller in the states on eBay .

When the album arrived , the front of the sleeve had been signed by BA .

The seller made no mention of it in the sales description , just that the corners of the sleeve were worn :D .

Malc

Social source share

Came across a yellow Kapp sleeve with the following hand written on it "Ernie,Here's Freddy Butler's new release. The 'A' side is 'There was a time' Thanx Lorraine."

I assume the 'Ernie' is local Detroit radio DJ Ernie Durham and, having checked her autograph, the signatory is definitely Lorraine Chandler.

post-1773-0-57874900-1290855420_thumb.jp

Social source share

Slight (!) tangent, but whilst out digging today in deepest darkest Tokyo, I came across a 7" sleeve with some interesting notes scribbled on it...it had several months noted with DJ names next to them: Mick, Carl Fortnum, Arthur and Sam!

Made me smile...as did the bunch of discs I found a bit later on :yes:

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

My first copy of Pam Bowie "He's All I Need/Everlasting Love Aquarius

Was autographed by Pam and given as a present to a friend of mine's wife at the time of release. It also had the following personal message to the guys wife : "To a real Live doll! walkin', talkin etc" obviously a fan of Cliff Richards at the time.

Pat eventually went on to a career in teaching.

Also got Bobby Hutton to autograph an inflatable sheep when he appeared at Cleethorpes. The sheep was then christened Bobby Mutton for the rest of the weekend!

Dave.w

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Hi folks, newbie to the site here.

This was on ebay last night.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190470521612&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_779wt_1141

Tommy Bush, I don't like it, signed with 'Remember the bottom of the pool' inscribed on it.

Sometimes I wonder if a thing like that could actually de-value a precious gem like that, any thoughts?

Social source share

Hi folks, newbie to the site here.

This was on ebay last night.

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...T#ht_779wt_1141

Tommy Bush, I don't like it, signed with 'Remember the bottom of the pool' inscribed on it.

Sometimes I wonder if a thing like that could actually de-value a precious gem like that, any thoughts?

I know some people who can't bear any writing on a label never mind anything else!

On the advice of some I was told not to get my record's signed over the years as it would "de-value" them.

Therefore I went through a phase of just having sleeve's signed.

I couldn't for the life of me see why after a while of thinking about !

A treasured 45 with the actually person who recorded it signing it seems an ultimate way to own any record doesn't it ?

And how could that possibly de-value it?? :yes:

Social source share

I know some people who can't bear any writing on a label never mind anything else!

On the advice of some I was told not to get my record's signed over the years as it would "de-value" them.

Therefore I went through a phase of just having sleeve's signed.

A treasured 45 with the actually person who recorded it signing it seems an ultimate way to own any record doesn't it ?

And how could that possibly de-value it?? :g:

Think to some extent it depends on the record and the collector. Depending upon rarity, there are those where many collectors simply want the pristine, as near to mint as possible. Over the year I've had sleeves signed, as that personalizes it to me without "spoiling" a label if I want to sell on.

Thanks for replies, interesting stories in this grand vinyl/styrene collecting world. Dean

Social source share

God Bless You

George Benson '70"

About twenty years ago I bought a copy of the Flamingos, `I Was Such A Fool` on End records from a small shop in Brooklyn and bearing the title in mind, the following was beautifully hand written on the label - "To Barbie, I will take your advice. Hope this record doesn't go for us. Love Elaine".

Social source share

God Bless You

George Benson '70"

I bought a copy of Alvin Cash, `Saddle Up` on ebay. The description was `G`, plus writing on label but as it is so rare and I'd only seen it around $100 I bid and won for about $30. When it arrived it played OK and the writing turned out to be Alvin's autograph. You can see it on my blog site link below.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I've got a copy of Emanuel Laskey 'I'd Rather Leave On My Feet' on DT that has messages from Laskey and groups members to a 'Norisene' ? ( think thats the name anyway ) Plus my copy of Clydene Jackson Lp on crossover has a message from C.Jackson too someone signed 1976...doing this from memory so can't recall all details....plus a bundle more....

Social source share

I'm afraid mine involves myself but a couple of years ago we were discussing Melvin Davis - Find A Quiet Place - Wheel City and I said that I used to have a copy at the time it was being played, and it appeared that not that many people believed me for some reason, besides, I obviously couldn't prove it and I began to doubt it myself. Next thing I know, Ted Massey puts up a scan of the B side of his copy and written on the label it says "Pete Smith (month) 1978" in my handwriting. I was and am still astonished to see this over 30 years after having written it, that copy could have gone anywhere in the world and it's actually 15 miles away!

Social source share

I'm afraid mine involves myself but a couple of years ago we were discussing Melvin Davis - Find A Quiet Place - Wheel City and I said that I used to have a copy at the time it was being played, and it appeared that not that many people believed me for some reason, besides, I obviously couldn't prove it and I began to doubt it myself. Next thing I know, Ted Massey puts up a scan of the B side of his copy and written on the label it says "Pete Smith (month) 1978" in my handwriting. I was and am still astonished to see this over 30 years after having written it, that copy could have gone anywhere in the world and it's actually 15 miles away!

Pete, I have evidence from 1978 that you have previous form in this matter.

Exhibit 1. Please see lower part of scan - includes address!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Back in the early 1970s I owned an odd UK white label of Donnie Elbert's 'Without You' with a unique-to-that-45 flipside, 'Call On Me' - a vocal/guitar demo by Donnie. As was occasionally my wont back then, I 'decorated' the label with some rather fancy design, and ornate writing. It was stolen from a club I DJ'd in, in 1972, in London's West End, as part of a box of 45s that went missing, and after many years of looking for another copy I eventually gave up hope of ever finding one. I was living in Plaistow at the time of its disappearance, which is not relevant in itself but will be more so when you read the next paragraph...

Flash forward to the mid-late 1990s and I'm poking through a box of highly uninteresting 45s at a car boot sale in New Malden, about 3 miles away from where I now live. Fed up with trawling A-Ha and Haircut 100 singles I'm just about to give up when the very same copy of the Donnie Elbert blank that I'd had stolen from me almost 25 years earlier suddenly appears in the box!

After re-purchasing it I asked the bloke where it had come from. 'House clearance in Tolworth, mate' was the answer. I told him the story of its theft, and of how I'd been looking for a replacement ever since. He was only about 25-30 himself so he would have been a bit young to have been the original thief. And anyway, I didn't push it too hard as it's still the only copy that I've ever seen and I was just so glad to be reunited with it....

...the clincher is that I was then and still am living in Tolworth. How did my purloined record come to turn up, a quarter of a century after its disappearance, in a house clearance in the same town that I live in - especially as I had never heard of Tolworth until the late 1980s, when I started working down the road in Stoneleigh?...

Apart from this 'Unexpected Writing' story, I have one that's probably more relevant to the original intention of this thread - three or four years back I bought a copy of Jerry McCain's Jewel 45 'She's Crazy About Entertainers' for a couple of dollars from an eBay seller. 'Heavy WOL' was warned of by said seller...

The 'Heavy WOL' in question consisted of small dedications from, and the signatures of, Mr. McCain himself and of the record's producer, legendary rockabilly guitarist Scotty Moore who played lead on all of Elvis' Sun recordings and many of his early RCA ones, too. They were plain as the nose on your face, too. I've never understood how the seller failed to recognise what he had....

Social source share

Pete, I have evidence from 1978 that you have previous form in this matter.

Exhibit 1. Please see lower part of scan - includes address!

Amazing! I remember buying that LP from Pep's shop, it was £5. I honestly don't remember writing my name and address on things though. Thats still my parents address. Thanks for sharing Kev!

Social source share

I once bought some low cost UK label stuff and they had the name "Jon Slater" written on them. The next day I was listening to Richard Searling show and he commented and a record that had handwriting on it finishing the sentence with "just like Jon Slater who used to sign his name on all his records" I wonder who Jon Slater was ? :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Bit of coincidence this topic. Just posted something in "Look At The Box" - Frankie Karl : Rarest label format which has the note "To Vivian. Love always Frankie Karl". So who was Vivian I wonder. Bet Frankie never gave devaluation a thought and was just glad to see one of his records come off the press. Also have Judy Street on Strider which is messaged To Mum... love Judy Corner (her real name) and that actually came out her mothers attic about five years ago!!!:D:(

God Bless You

George Benson '70"

Social source share

ON MY COPY OF PARIS SLEEPLESS NIGHTS IT SAYS THE FOLLOWING

ON SLEEPLESS NIGHTS SIDE IT SAYS RECORDED AT RADIO RECORDERS HOLLYWOOD WEDNESDAY DEC 2, 1964. SINGING IN THE BACKGROUND THE VOWS, LEWIS SISTERS, B HOLLOWAY, FRANK WILSON.

ON THE WISHING WELL SIDE IT SAYS "TO DAVID PARIS FROM THE PARIS WHOOSIE . THIS IS THE 1ST COPY TO ANYONE.

THIS COPY ON DOC CAME FROM A GUY JUST OUTSIDE LA.

Social source share

l_cfb91b57624f419b8c577280ee065416.jpg

Hello All

I got this test pressing from a record show many years ago....WVON was an African-American radio station in chicago..the "PD" I'm guessing means promotion department and the E.R.J.? I could only guess that this was E. Rodney Jones.

thanks

Aret

Social source share

God Bless You

George Benson '70"

Yes ! Fooking loads of things LOL !

This one is from Dees Sound system !

Its from 60s Jamaica - The Claredonians - sho be do be do - coxsone dodd 94 (fantastic early track)

A very early example of jamaican 60s red marker pen, and a faded music city stamp.

this is just perfect !

This is the shit I love collecting all day !

who wants da mint 60s uk issued 45s when you can have dis original jamaican 60s badboy shit !

this is history !

post-6465-0-32605000-1291335476_thumb.jp

Edited by mossy
Social source share

this is history !

I love the social history of these stories, kinda brings the disc / sleeve to life from another perspective. Love the Judy Street mum story too.

There's a book in this somewhere. yes.gif

Social source share

This one is from Dees Sound system !

Its from 60s Jamaica - The Claredonians - sho be do be do - coxsone dodd 94 (fantastic early track)

A very early example of jamaican 60s red marker pen, and a faded music city stamp.

this is just perfect !

This is the shit I love collecting all day !

who wants da mint 60s uk issued 45s when you can have dis original jamaican 60s badboy shit !

this is history !

I do! Jamaican records usually look and sound like shit. British labels 100% of the time for me.

Social source share

I once bought some low cost UK label stuff and they had the name "Jon Slater" written on them. The next day I was listening to Richard Searling show and he commented and a record that had handwriting on it finishing the sentence with "just like Jon Slater who used to sign his name on all his records" I wonder who Jon Slater was ? :rolleyes:

Chris, it was 'Bob Slater' from Middlesbrough - he use to supply Searling with items from time to time - he gets a name check re Cajun Hart on one of the 'After Hours' CD. He gave Richard his 'spare' UK issue.

There must be thousands of 45's out there - he sold his collection in the late 90's.

Here is one of them here on YouTube -

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Best I can manage is a signed copy of Narboo "What About Love?"

I once bought a Sandy Shaw LP in a charity shop just because it had inscribed on it, "To Mary, Sorry I'm such a wanker, Dave". I bet that relationship stood the test of time!

Social source share

Granted it's more Jazz related, but I found Buddy Rich's Live at The Chez Hollywood LP with the killer version of The Beat Goes On in Saturn years back. I'd bought so many records I'd actually maxed my card and had to borrow the $6 for the LP.

When I got it home I opened the gatefold to see Buddy's autograph bold as day.

Well chuffed

Social source share

And how could that possibly de-value it?? :thumbsup:

Because it was a record Without writing on the label. After someone writes on the label, it is a record With writting on the label! Does not matter who does the wriitng!

Its a perfect item, but after anyone writes on it, it isn't!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!