Apart From Weekenders.....the Furthest

Might have got this in the pocket :) Dublin to Rugby......Oh hang on thinking about other people travelling l might not even make the top 10.... :huh:

KevNewry,Jo65,and Phil Shields all from the North Of Ireland could well have beat me.......And l think Mark Holmes beats me by over 3000 miles :thumbsup:

Mind you l did thumb it from Edinburgh to Stafford in April 83 to see Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes for one of one the Anniversaries.....Could have well been the 1st one.......l never made it in time and missed them :sleep3::yes:

Edited by webbydublin
Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Mark Holmes

Might have got this in the pocket :) Dublin to Rugby......Oh hang on thinking about other people travelling l might not even make the top 10.... :huh:

KevNewry,Jo65,and Phil Shields all from the North Of Ireland could well have beat me.......And l think Mark Holmes beats me by over 3000 miles :thumbsup:

Mind you l did thumb it from Edinburgh to Stafford in April 83 to see Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes for one of one the Anniversaries.....Could have well been the 1st one.......l never made it in time and missed them :sleep3::yes:

I think I probably have Webby but it was included in a holiday so it may not count.

Though Dave Moore and I did go from Orlando to Los Angeles, 2210 miles each way, for a mini nighter (it ended at 4 am) at the short lived Central Soul Club event at the British Dominion Club. In fact we did that twice!

Edited by Mark Holmes
Social source share

Back in the 80's around 84' i think myself and a few others (Tommo, Steve Phylis,Kev Draper to name a few ) set off from Leicester to Glenrothes in Scotland where Alan Walls was resident at the time and had guested a number of times at Leicester Oddfellows Nighter and he suggested we made the trip up over the border.......we did and it was brill!!

Social source share

I think I probably have Webby but it was included in a holiday so it may not count.

Though Dave Moore and I did go from Orlando to Los Angeles, 2210 miles each way, for a mini nighter (it ended at 4 am) at the short lived Central Soul Club event at the British Dominion Club. In fact we did that twice!

And enjoyed it immensely each time too eh! Ah, the days of all male fartin', scratchin', belching and record huntin'. AND chips for breakfast too if we wanted! :thumbsup:

Hope you and Little Missy are wel;l Mucker.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Back in the 80's around 84' i think myself and a few others (Tommo, Steve Phylis,Kev Draper to name a few ) set off from Leicester to Glenrothes in Scotland where Alan Walls was resident at the time and had guested a number of times at Leicester Oddfellows Nighter and he suggested we made the trip up over the border.......we did and it was brill!!

Blimey, I think i was on that coach. Jamie from Derby (RIP) and Brian Rae were also there, Mick Cope and Richard Jakeman were also on it i think. Wasn't it a rugby club or a football club? It was very cold and very dark when we got there and it was like an old scout hut or something. I was only 18 and felt like it was the wilderness :thumbsup:

Spent the whole journey off my head arguing about the origins of soul music :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think you'll find that my old mucker Ady 'Chippy' Harley travelled the furthest - from Oz to the UK for the first Stafford re-union in Stoke back in 2005!

He did of course stay a couple of weeks so that he could visit his friends & family but all the same.....

Don't know the exact distance but would think that its a little bit further than Orlando/LA.:D

Mick

Social source share

New Malden, Surrey to Shotts in Scotland. In a Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus. It took some time :D

Our 2nd ever Northern Soul event was from Shepperton to Blackpool in a 3 speed Ford Popular, even lorries were overtaking us :D At Hinchley Wood traffic lights some MGB driver who couldn't wait drove into the side of the driver door :thumbsup: It took us about 12 hours to get there (circa 1972)

post-4408-0-08864000-1290857038_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Once l went to the moon for an all-nighter,think the distance is about 250,000 miles........l left early cos there was no atmosphere :D:thumbsup:

You've waited an awful long time since starting this thread to force that one on us :D

Social source share

Berwick-Upon-Tweed was part of my epic hitch-hiking journey in 83,lovely bridge across the Tweed... :lol:

And after that comment about Bretby l think l might start a thread ' What's the quickest time you've got home from an all-nighter?' :yes:

Webby,

living to close to a nighter,it brings its own problems.:yes:

Bretby is in beautiful Derbyshire.thumbsup.gif

Kev.:yes:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

What you mean an Austin Princess travelled nearly 500 miles and never broke down???? :yes:

Or did it?? :(

it got us back, but we did have to bump it off at trowell services, we dumped it at the end of my mates road when we got back to southampton, three months later it was still there, certainly not british leylands finest creation

Social source share

5956 miles (9585 km)...Tokyo to London for last year's Va-Va-Voom, NYE nighter (+ to see family and friends as well :wub:).

Will be doing it again this year too! :lol:

That doesn't count, if are actually from a country then go back there to visit and go to an all-nighter, no sorry not valid. My Manila, Philippines still the furthest. :wub:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Blimey, I think i was on that coach. Jamie from Derby (RIP) and Brian Rae were also there, Mick Cope and Richard Jakeman were also on it i think. Wasn't it a rugby club or a football club? It was very cold and very dark when we got there and it was like an old scout hut or something. I was only 18 and felt like it was the wilderness :thumbsup:

Spent the whole journey off my head arguing about the origins of soul music :thumbsup:

yeah thats the one!!

Jesus there are a few names and faces on that trip no longer with us for one reason or another..........happy days though......go anywhere, with anyone, in anything, and ON EVERYTHING!!

Social source share

Going anywhere from Aberdeen was a trek and a half, but the times we used to drive to 100 club was always a killer...... 1100 miles round trip, beat that ! biggrin.gif

Social source share

last year i drove to the Wilton from Gillingham then onto Preston to pick a mates scooter up then back to London to drop it and him off then back to Gilllingham to drop me other mate off and get a change of clothes then drove to Southampton for the Crown without any sleep and drove back next morning after a few hours sleep :lol:

this year i drove from Southampton to Liverpool to visit family then drove down top Brum for Disciples of soul then left there about 1am then drove to Bury for NCSC Nighter then drove back to Southampton all with no sleep too :(

drive to numerous venues up and down the country and its always a bit of a trek :D fooking good thought aint it :D

sleeps for wimps anyway :yes:

Social source share

Guest karen b

These examples from me are for one night turn rounds, it does not include the truly mad Friday to Monday jaunts from venue to venue, thats for another thread.yes.gif

For me, Beverley, East Yorks, to Paris Niter,drive down from Beverley (Hull) to London out on Eurostar Saturday, return first train Sun AM then drive back oop North,

but back in the seventies I lived in Redruth, Cornwall and used to do Wigan for the Sat (not weekly too expensive) in various

borrowedph34r.gif or hired transit vans!!

For Pete, Beverley, East Yorks, with Robin to the Brussells niter, out once again on Sat Eurostar and back first train on Sunday.

A trip not for the faint hearted as Robin found out on his return and was admitted to Hull Royal!!!rolleyes.gif(lightweight)biggrin.gif

Or another Pete one, this time with Arthur, to a niter in Frankfurt, flew out Sat and Back Sundayswoon.gif

Loads flooding back to me now.............................trouble is I know you all get it....................but those looking in must think

we are all flipping bonkers, or on drugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!frusty2.gif

Edited by karen b
Social source share

I've always enjoyed the traveling, it's a part of the whole night. Tomorrow weather permitting....

Carrickfergus to Belfast International airport fly to East Midlands then drive to Rugby and then up to York for YSC

Sunday morning up early and of to Manchester for a Taste of Honey then back to York for a little rest

Monday morning back to East Midlands airport and fly home and back to Carrickfergus

And I'll love every minute unless there are delays at the airport....everythings to expensive in them airports

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!