If You Can Answer This Question

Who covered up the first Northern Soul Record?....Who was covered up as? When it was uncovered who was it by.....My first re-collection of a cover -up was Johnny Caswell covered-up Paul Anka in 74 but there must have loads of them before that!! :yes::lol:

Edited by webbydublin
Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest unklbrian

Don't know who was the first to 'coverup' a record on the NS scene , but it was common for Jamacian sound men to cover old R'N'B tunes up waaaaaay back in the early/mid 50s to help keep them as 'Exclusives'

a known example

Willie Jackson "Later for the Gator" became known as "Coxsone's Hop" for Dodd's Downbeat sound system .......

So the roots of it may well lay there !

Social source share

Who covered up the first Northern Soul Record?....Who was covered up as? When it was uncovered who was it by.....My first re-collection of a cover -up was Johnny Caswell covered-up Paul Anka in 74 but there must have loads of them before that!! :thumbsup::ohmy:

Many records were " covered up " in the early days of the club scene , to " protect " their exclusiveness .

One of the best persons to ask would be Brian Phillips .

Malc

Social source share

Many records were " covered up " in the early days of the club scene , to " protect " their exclusiveness .

One of the best persons to ask would be Brian Phillips .

Malc

hey up Malc

Trust ya keeping warm mate---snows a bit heavy your side of the penines isn't it?

Wasn't Baby Reconsider one of the first cover ups 69/70ish???. Summat rings a bell telling me it was covered up by one of the Cats boys or gloucester crew ??????

Social source share

hey up Malc

Trust ya keeping warm mate---snows a bit heavy your side of the penines isn't it?

Wasn't Baby Reconsider one of the first cover ups 69/70ish???. Summat rings a bell telling me it was covered up by one of the Cats boys or gloucester crew ??????

The snow is not bad Jeremy old son - it is the chuffing cold that is the problem : We keep getting penguins knocking at the door wanting to come in :thumbsup:

In respect of " BR " , was not it Carl Dene who covered it up at The Chateau Impney ?

Malc

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Who covered up the first Northern Soul Record?....Who was covered up as? When it was uncovered who was it by.....My first re-collection of a cover -up was Johnny Caswell covered-up Paul Anka in 74 but there must have loads of them before that!! :lol: :lol:

I seem to remember that originally "exclusives" had their labels covered and were known as " Secret sounds", certainly round our way, around '72 ish.

The practice of giving fictitious names and titles was instigated around '73ish, in an effort to fox the bootleggers.

Of course, I could be talking utter b*llocks :lol:

Again.

tony

Social source share

I seem to remember that originally "exclusives" had their labels covered and were known as " Secret sounds", certainly round our way, around '72 ish.

The practice of giving fictitious names and titles was instigated around '73ish, in an effort to fox the bootleggers.

Of course, I could be talking utter b*llocks :D

Again.

tony

I'd agree with you Tony. Once or twice i was determined no one would peak at my cover ups I didn't just cover the label, Iistead I got sellotape, stuck it all over the labels and ripped them off so noone could know. Of course, ruining the potential value of the record, (well at least my copy's value was now ruined. How mad was that. Ahh but gear moves in mysterious ways!

I can tell you one now. It was Hesitations, Push a little Harder. It was only known on L.P then and the LP was bloody rare anyway. Well I found it in a shop in Birmingham on English London. I was amazed and ptomptly ripped the labels off HA HaHA HA HA HA HA HA . Joke is, it never got very big anyway.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Swish
Social source share

I'd agree with you Tony. Once or twice i was determined no one would peak at my cover ups I didn't just cover the label, Iistead I got sellotape, stuck it all over the labels and ripped them off so noone could know. Of course, ruining the potential value of the record, (well at least my copy's value was now ruined. How mad was that. Ahh but gear moves in mysterious ways!

I can tell you one now. It was Hesitations, Push a little Harder. It was only known on L.P then and the LP was bloody rare anyway. Well I found it in a shop in Birmingham on English London. I was amazed and ptomptly ripped the labels off HA HaHA HA HA HA HA HA . Joke is, it never got very big anyway.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Typical Bob , typical :D

Malc

Social source share

That doyen of British Soul Brothers and inventor of the term Northern Soul, Dave Godin habitually covered up the labels of some of his discoveries back in the early 70`s. He justified this by saying that when he went up north to venues like The Wheel, The Pendulum, The Mecca etc he was expected to take along some great sounds that were new to the scene and if everyone knew what they were he would soon run out of exclusives. Records like James Bounty - Prove yourself a lady - Compass and The Ad-Libs - Nothings worse than being alone - Share spring to mind. Having said that he could never keep a secret for very long and soon told people what they were.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!