Leeds Central

Petedillon

HI STEVE,

I know that you will probably have been in touch with Ian Dewhirst, Twink, Pat Brady, Swish etc but have you managed to contact Tony Jackson, Keith Atkinson???.

Not heard of Keiths whereabouts for donkeys years, although Tony is still doing the rounds as you probably know. So any thoughts on the format and times as i have no doubt you will end up with about ten dj's for the afternoon/night.

regards ROY

Been in touch with Tony, Ian, Twink and swish, waiting for replies from them all at the mo'. As soon as I have a confirmed line up, I will post it in here Roy. They all seem a bit backward in coming forward at the moment LOL!

Steve

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Been in touch with Tony, Ian, Twink and swish, waiting for replies from them all at the mo'. As soon as I have a confirmed line up, I will post it in here Roy. They all seem a bit backward in coming forward at the moment LOL!

Steve

Not me Steve! I've been provisionally booked for a Film festival in Southend where they're showing "Soulboy" and "Quadrophenia" and needed a DJ from the original era. Since I played there last year to a great audience I took the gig BUT it hasn't been confirmed in writing yet, so I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and see what the deal is OK?

Incidentally, Rick Cooper used to DJ at the Central all-nighters too, so Rick may be up for it if I can't make it on that day.........

Best,

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Last went in early 1973, with some great lads from Donnie/Rotherham, sadly a number are no longer with us, and as part of the excitement was on the train from Sheffield crunching dex, then haven't been since, but am curious again.

Bob Parker, Steve Goodison Russ Davey all good lads at that time

Shelly

Steve and Bob were good mates of mine too. They along with Matchy,used to stay at a flat I shared with Dave Thommo in Harehills, Leeds around that time.

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Sonbert ..how long is it since you were in Leeds man? the Woodpecker has been knocked down at least 20 years, I would think. In the city centre , North bar is a good shout on Upper Briggate just above Primark. Tony 's shout for the Palace is good though.

Steve, whats the capacity for the club now? I think it was 400 max back in the day, but that night it was so rammed you couldnt dance. Bet its a lot less now. Could be sell-out, me thinks. Does it still have that atmosphere when empty. Not many clubs can claim that, mate. It was one of the best atmospheres Ive ever experienced as you descended the stairs to meet the soul music blasting up at you. then wham you are straight on to the dancefloor as you paid. yes.gif

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Sonbert ..how long is it since you were in Leeds man? the Woodpecker has been knocked down at least 20 years, I would think. In the city centre , North bar is a good shout on Upper Briggate just above Primark. Tony 's shout for the Palace is good though.

Steve, whats the capacity for the club now? I think it was 400 max back in the day, but that night it was so rammed you couldnt dance. Bet its a lot less now. Could be sell-out, me thinks. Does it still have that atmosphere when empty. Not many clubs can claim that, mate. It was one of the best atmospheres Ive ever experienced as you descended the stairs to meet the soul music blasting up at you. then wham you are straight on to the dancefloor as you paid. yes.gif

:D Many years pete, we used to stop off there for a pint on our travels, i now live in county durham, so don`t get into leeds much nowadays, looking forward to this one though, had some great times at the central :yes:

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Palace or Duck and Drake ,at 12 noon ----both only a cock stride from the Central --pity The Precinct has long gone!!!

T.C.

Social source share

Yes Pete, the max is still 400, but they say they have had nearly 700 in??? MY GOD!!!

Like I said above, the old Central still hangs on the walls, the atmosphere is still there even when empty, I tingled when I went in although I have been in there since the Central days to see Kim Weston, now that WAS a show.

I think the ghosts of the old days could hear me discussing a reunion, and came out to say hello, and "YES, we're up for that" thumbup.gif

Social source share

I only found out about Kim Weston a few days after the date!!!! Then I found I'd missed Marlena Shaw at the Wardrobe too.....gutted to say the least mate!. Cant wait for this, probably looking forward to this more than anything in a long long time. If its a success it should be an annual thing,maybe ?yes.gif

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Now that WOULD be nice. I'm gonna try to make this as big a success as I can,. This does mean a lot to me and I hope that it gets the support it deserves.

An actual reunion being organised, DJd at by the originals, AND in the original venue to boot!! There can't be that many that can boast that?

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Yes Pete, the max is still 400, but they say they have had nearly 700 in??? MY GOD!!!

Like I said above, the old Central still hangs on the walls, the atmosphere is still there even when empty, I tingled when I went in although I have been in there since the Central days to see Kim Weston, now that WAS a show.

I think the ghosts of the old days could hear me discussing a reunion, and came out to say hello, and "YES, we're up for that" thumbup.gif

HI STEVE,

I DONT WISH TO BE PESSIMISTIC ABOUT THE PROJECTED NUMBERS THEY HAVE QUOTED ABOVE BUT THEY REALLY ARE TAKING THE P*SS IF THEY THINK 700 COULD FIT INTO THE CENTRAL.:D:ohmy::huh:

Having helped promote events at the Irish Centre for the last few years we have had some seven hundred people in there and it has been chocker, even using both levels of the venue. The Irish Centre as a venue using both levels is about 3 times the size of the Central so when you decide on numbers i would plan for around 350.

Although Joan and Derek never divulged the exact numbers that attended the Central allnighters i believe it was in the region of 320 to 350, never did get hold of that infernal clicker that Derek kept glued in his hand :lol: :lol: :lol: .

regards ROY

Social source share

Pete definite yes looking forward to the reunion

I will let Alan Rhodes know about the reunion. Alan is a bit os a soul recluse these days.

Malc Here we go again (l.o.l)

oldcards.jpg

The day looks set to be a cracker Stewart : It will be good to catch up with youi and Harry .

Remind me when I see you , to tell you the tale of stimulant abuse that I was supposed to tell you at The Torch Reunion , but forgot to do so :)

Malc

Social source share

and heres one of four old soulies eyeing the decks and record boxes at the Central , many will remember from the right John Flannery(Leeds).Alan Stevo an old Wheelie in the black shirt from Leeds.Next to him just visible is Mouse from Bradford then Kev Barrett on the left also from Leeds.tn_gallery_10770_4330_4563.jpg

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Well youv'e certainly had the old memory going here, everything said so far is spot on i think the old memory catches up with us all. My early memorys of the central would have been around 1968. Went down the stairs and the atmosphere hit me the dj at the time Andy got so fed up of me going up to him and asking what is this your playing or watching the record go round and trying to read what it was that he asked me if i fancied doing a spot to give him a break. As you can imagine the heart was pounding, and the decks, you had to wait for them to reach speed or it sounded as if 33rpm its so much easier then. Willie oh Willie special guy yea had a few conversations with Roy about the old days but do you remember you couldnt lean on the tables, spent half the night looking over your shoulder for the big guy. Nothing been mentioned yet about the dancefloor, with len cave being a teacher of ballroom dancing the floor was so slippery, remember we were all young guys who loved to dance, backdrops and spins but it was so dangerous. When we arrived to start had to sprinkle grated candlewax on the the floor to slow it down!!!

As has already been said at one time we all had to help out when not djing be it on the door, or on the cloakroom, or my favourite place the bar, some things dont change its still my favourite place just cant do it as well, just like the dancing, but they were happy days and cant wait for the reunion.

Appologies steve but not got your message but wold love to do a spot but no worries if all sorted will still be there to enjoy the music and meet up with some old old friends.

Tony Jackson

Edited by souleeds
Social source share

Some names frome the past there, Alan Stevenson, jesus remember him and Dave Thompson from Pudsey,always at the Old English Matlock on a Friday to score, Mary Robertson from Halifax also there.

Dave Thom, great guy and great mate.

Mousey, he is still alive? Arounfd 72/75 where in contact all the time happy memories

Shelly

Edited by shelly
Social source share

Pete

Remember you from a long time ago after I saw your photo, last saw Dave Thom around '92 living around Surbiton with Anne.

Mary, haven't seen for 35 years! - lived abroad alot(me), she was the love of my life back then , though she didn't know it!

Another name from that era, Graham from Hull

I think I'll have to try and make this reunion as there's so many names coming back.

Shelly

Social source share

Well youv'e certainly had the old memory going here, everything said so far is spot on i think the old memory catches up with us all. My early memorys of the central would have been around 1968. Went down the stairs and the atmosphere hit me the dj at the time Andy got so fed up of me going up to him and asking what is this your playing or watching the record go round and trying to read what it was that he asked me if i fancied doing a spot to give him a break. As you can imagine the heart was pounding, and the decks, you had to wait for them to reach speed or it sounded as if 33rpm its so much easier then. Willie oh Willie special guy yea had a few conversations with Roy about the old days but do you remember you couldnt lean on the tables, spent half the night looking over your shoulder for the big guy. Nothing been mentioned yet about the dancefloor, with len cave being a teacher of ballroom dancing the floor was so slippery, remember we were all young guys who loved to dance, backdrops and spins but it was so dangerous. When we arrived to start had to sprinkle grated candlewax on the the floor to slow it down!!!

As has already been said at one time we all had to help out when not djing be it on the door, or on the cloakroom, or my favourite place the bar, some things dont change its still my favourite place just cant do it as well, just like the dancing, but they were happy days and cant wait for the reunion.

Appologies steve but not got your message but wold love to do a spot but no worries if all sorted will still be there to enjoy the music and meet up with some old old friends.

Tony Jackson

Tony No, I want you do do it mate definately. I'm just waiting for the other DJs to confirm before i can get the promo started, but you're on mate absolutely.

Steve

Social source share

Pete

Remember you from a long time ago after I saw your photo, last saw Dave Thom around '92 living around Surbiton with Anne.

Mary, haven't seen for 35 years! - lived abroad alot(me), she was the love of my life back then , though she didn't know it!

Another name from that era, Graham from Hull

I think I'll have to try and make this reunion as there's so many names coming back.

Shelly

hi, yes Graham Rawdon from Hull. Apparently Dave & Anne are now divorced, Dave is back in Leeds but not on the scene at all and I have no contact details for him.

Would be good to see you, you'll have to jog my memory though!! my heads not what it was haha.

best

Pete

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

I used to have converstations re records with Tony B over the phone in the seventies - he seemed a good guy but could go on - nearly as much as Gaz Kellett LOL.

Certainly was a good scene in Yorks by all accounts, and often overlooked.

But Garry Cape was finding some great stuff back then...................

Social source share

Tony Banks was at the forefront of the soul music scene in Leeds long before the Central. I believe he dj'd at the Three Coins which was before my time but was a legendary mod club in Leeds, pre-dating both the Central and the BeeGee...

I was lucky enough to go to his house on several occasions..His was a record collection from Heaven.. His back room was fitted floor to ceiling on all 3 walls with shelves...At that time the top tunes were the UK Stateside, Columbia, Pye Int. stuff etc...He would say pick a tune..Incredibles -'Theres nothing Else To Say'..was massive at the time. UK issue, UK demo and U.S import!!! he had all 3 filed together. and so it went on .Whatever big tune you said, 3 copies would appear! Major Lance on UK Columbia..the same! I used to try persuading him he couldnt play all 3 so I should have them..not a prayer.. I lost touch with him for a number of years, apparently he was burgled and all his records were taken..sad.

I used to travel down to the Torch in his car, I'd sell the TB SuperSoul pressings of Jimmy Thomas inside the Torch as way of paying my fare..If anybody bought one in the Torch, you got it from me.

Yes he could rabbit though..Still loved the guy. I wish he could be at the Central re-union..

it was a very good scene in Yorkshire around the early 70's yes..you'd be surprised how many of the old guys are still around too...

Social source share

Hello Pete,

A name from the past that jolted my memory, Graham from Hull, he used to travel to Selby, then a few of us would go off to UTJ, Torch etc, he was always smart and if i remember always had a blazer on with a wheel badge on it. As you say late 60ts and early 70ts Yorkshire was very vibrant and a hub of the scene with numerous places to go, there are probably a lot of people on this site who were part of it, along with the Central, but as stated some nights, early - early 70ts were standing room only, some nights people were actually refused entry due to numbers within and had to take alternative action to the norm.

PS, I wonder if my Jimmy Thomas is one of yours?

Best regards Jimmy Welsh.

Social source share

cant wait for this one steve,the Central was like home to us back in the day and was open tuesdays, fridays and sundays and played lots of motown stax,atlantic stuff.this is where we cut our teeth on the soul scene, learning to dance etc before going on to Dj doing the early spot before Tony Jackson and Keith Atkinson came on to do thier thing. Not long after that the wife started working behind the bar so it became a real family affair. In 73 the Leeds Central Scooter club was born made up members from the soul club is still a massive club to this day.

Social source share

most people fell foul of the infamous willie at point or another during thier time at the Central!

EY UP CHRIS,

No chance of you falling fowl of Willie as he could not catch you becuase you danced too fast :D :D laugh.gif:yes:

It was good fun in the day when we all chipped in to keep the Central going and certainly put a smile on all our faces when we saw the eventual outcome of packed friday and well attended sundays eventually leading to packed all nighters.

Remember Pete D coming upto me on many occassions grinning from ear to ear saying well thats another fifteen members signed up by me tonight- smug git-:yes:laugh.gif but all contributed to the cause.

This has a real "authentic" feel about it, probably a little more so than some other events of a similair nature planned in the near future.

Will be really interesting to see who will be going from the old days.

SO COME ON WHO'S GOING THEN-- I AM

ROY

Social source share

cant wait for this one steve,the Central was like home to us back in the day and was open tuesdays, fridays and sundays and played lots of motown stax,atlantic stuff.this is where we cut our teeth on the soul scene, learning to dance etc before going on to Dj doing the early spot before Tony Jackson and Keith Atkinson came on to do thier thing. Not long after that the wife started working behind the bar so it became a real family affair. In 73 the Leeds Central Scooter club was born made up members from the soul club is still a massive club to this day.

HI CHRIS,

No "bingo Wings on your Lesley then Chris laugh.gif:yes: :yes: laugh.gif

ROY

Social source share

Pete it's definately on mate, just need to get DJs sorted out, It might not be on the date I have quoted, but 10000000% it's still on!!

HI STEVE,

This might not be relevant to the Central era but hopefully someone on the day will be forgiven for playing "Messing with my Mind" or Tommy Navarro as i am sure Tony Banks will be looking down on us with a smile!

ROY

Social source share

Really? thats strange, that would probably be around the time Banksy was burgled...I think. Though I'm sure someone will correct me if not. As I said though they all originated with Tony...as he had them done.

The Younghearts & Triumphs could also be associated with Leeds/Bradford as they came from Bostocks in Bradford. So that seems strange. Banksy could well have had a stash of the other two as well as lots of copies of Jimmy Thomas. I wonder..?

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Really? thats strange, that would probably be around the time Banksy was burgled...I think. Though I'm sure someone will correct me if not. As I said though they all originated with Tony...as he had them done.

The Younghearts & Triumphs could also be associated with Leeds/Bradford as they came from Bostocks in Bradford. So that seems strange. Banksy could well have had a stash of the other two as well as lots of copies of Jimmy Thomas. I wonder..?

HI PETE,

I CAN RECALL TONY BANKS ON MANY OCCASIONS AT THE MARKET STALL IN BRADFORD BUYING RECORDS IN TENS AND HALF DOZENS ON THE SATURDAY AFTERNOON BEFORE TRAVELLING DOWN TO THE TORCH ON THE NIGHT TO DO MUCH WHEELING AND DEALING.:thumbsup::lol::thumbsup:

ALTHOUGH A LITTLE YOUNG AND NIEVE AT THE TIME I ALSO BOUGHT QUITE A FEW RECORDS ON VERVE, MGM,VIP, CAMEO ETC I WAS EARNING ABOUT £18-50 AS AN APPRENTICE AT THE TIME SO ONLY BOUGHT IN ONES AND TWO'S.:( :( :(

HE ALSO BOUGHT SOME SILLY SOUNDING LABELS LIKE OKEH AT THE TIME!!! DOH IF I ONLY KNEW THEN WHAT I LEARNT IN LATER YEARS.:yes: :yes:

THE STALL HOLDER ALSO CAUGHT ON TO THE FACT THAT THERE WAS MONEY TO BE MADE WITH BANKSY BUYING SO MANY RECORDS OF THE SAME LABEL/ARTIST, SO HE PUT THE PRICES UP FROM 30P TO 50P A SINGLE.

ABSOLUTELY CRIMINAL.:yes: :yes: :no::lol:

ROY

Social source share

I got my original copy of 'Walking the duck' from the shop in the Merrion centre in Leeds, they always seemed to have plenty of imports in there, especially on the 'Verve' label. Not 'Crash' by the way, the one in the Merrion market.

HI STEVE,

Talking to a lot of people and word is getting around about the Central reunion. Quite a lot of interest from people who missed out due to age as well.

Shaping up to be well attended so get the flyers sorted and i will gladly spread the word.

ROY

Social source share

I got my original copy of 'Walking the duck' from the shop in the Merrion centre in Leeds, they always seemed to have plenty of imports in there, especially on the 'Verve' label. Not 'Crash' by the way, the one in the Merrion market.

Bostocks. They had stalls at Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield and Huddersfield markets at the time. Some days I'd go to all 4..............

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

HI STEVE,

Talking to a lot of people and word is getting around about the Central reunion. Quite a lot of interest from people who missed out due to age as well.

Shaping up to be well attended so get the flyers sorted and i will gladly spread the word.

ROY

Thanks for that Roy, as soon as i can get the flyers sorted I will let you have some. can't do this until everything is confirmed though.

Steve

Social source share

Thanks for that Roy, as soon as i can get the flyers sorted I will let you have some. can't do this until everything is confirmed though.

Steve

Keep us posted Steve .

It is hard getting all the pieces to fit , and if the reunion has to be rearranged for another time , so be it . As Chuck sang so magnificently , " Good Things Come To Those Who Wait " :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!