Leeds Central

Petedillon

Hey up Fred...a few goodly names among that lot my old mate.. Barbara Sweeney was once Barbara Stott when her and Kev were married and lived in Stalybridge I recall.. Alan Stevenson was originally from Leeds, lived up Seacroft.. Andy Wilson lives in Sheffield, turns up on here every so often..Colin Vernon recently became a dad! at the ripe old age of ?? hes at least 3 years older than me so...still in Leeds but wont turn out..

Psycho-Chris last seen by Dave Maltas at the Grand Theatre in Leeds with his dad watching an Agatha Christie play!!

It would be good to see Hirsty again..last time I saw him I tried to strangle him from behind (whilst he was driving :facepalm: I know!) in Manchester one Sunday after Wigan. :wicked: .never saw him again..maybe I should apologise?

Edited by PeteDillon
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

In no particular order A Big HELLO to Stevie Luigi,Pete Dillan and Ian Dewhirst.

Talking of Chris Jenkinson,One Night we'd all been out in Leeds when Chris and I decided to call on Ian Dewhurst at his flat in Headingley. Chris said he'd just got

a new 2nd hand car a 3litre Cortina mk 4, to which i replied they don't make a 3litre Cortina, Chris said i know but this one has been modified,i thought bullshitter but

when we arrived at the car to my surprise it had massive tyres on and exhausts out of the middle of the car on both sides and when we set off it definately was a 3ltre

we went off to Headingley like we were in the batmobile so much so that we must have passed a panda (police) car with two policemen in at approx 80mph. we arrived at Ians flat and were out of the car and walking to the flat when the Panda car pulled up.The two coppers jumped out and said to Chris "what the hell were you doing you must have passed us at least 70mph",to this Chris typically replied in his cool manner o'h i was only doing a steady 30! I couldn't contain myself and cracked out laughing.

The policemen gave chris a bollocking but couldn't do anything as they hadn't clocked us. I last saw Chris in the Centre of Leeds A couple of years ago immaculately dressed in a suit . Regards Fred

p.s sorry for the type layout it hasn't come out as i typed it!

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Does anyone remember the time at the central when BuB was drinking Divebombers, i think they were a concoction of brandy,vodka, gin topped up with orange juice.

BuB got totally blasted and towards the end of the night visited the toilet,passed out and woke up in the early hours of the morning to find himself in total darkness.

All he could do was wait until the cleaner came and opened up! Sounds too good to be true,but it is.

I've probably got quite a few stories from the old central days any more i can think of ill put them on here.

Regards Fred ward

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest jungleland

Colin Vernon a dad !!! F... Me,

If any of you guy's see him send him my best wishes,( Stu "ginner" Marvin) I've not seen him in twenty years.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hey up Fred...a few goodly names among that lot my old mate.. Barbara Sweeney was once Barbara Stott when her and Kev were married and lived in Stalybridge I recall.. Alan Stevenson was originally from Leeds, lived up Seacroft.. Andy Wilson lives in Sheffield, turns up on here every so often..Colin Vernon recently became a dad! at the ripe old age of ?? hes at least 3 years older than me so...still in Leeds but wont turn out..

Psycho-Chris last seen by Dave Maltas at the Grand Theatre in Leeds with his dad watching an Agatha Christie play!!

It would be good to see Hirsty again..last time I saw him I tried to strangle him from behind (whilst he was driving :facepalm: I know!) in Manchester one Sunday after Wigan. :wicked: .never saw him again..maybe I should apologise?

Pete, Barbara Stott and Barbara Sweeney were not one and the same. B Stott was Kev's wife but left him for Nobby Stevens. Barbara Sweeney was from Northwich and married Rich Douglas, also, like Nobby, from Derby. Nobby and Barbara are still together but Rich and the other Barbara split years ago.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest 2 Tone Steve

Mike Eastwood & Chris Mallows will be doing a Leeds Central showcase next Sunday at the De Grey Rooms ballroom, York as part of the charity alldayer

What a find this site was! Didn't do the Central that much except for the Ska in the late '60's but being slightly older (ahem) than most young Northern Soul whippersnappers on here, I was a regular at the Three Coins throughout 64 and 65 and also the BG. Mentions of the Concodora and El Toro bring the memories flooding back, also Del Rio and that 4 Cousins one in Woolies arcade. Mick Eastwood, are you the same ME from Oakwood who played a bit of rugby in his time Lol. If it's you Mick, post me.

Social source share

Pete, Barbara Stott and Barbara Sweeney were not one and the same. B Stott was Kev's wife but left him for Nobby Stevens. Barbara Sweeney was from Northwich and married Rich Douglas, also, like Nobby, from Derby. Nobby and Barbara are still together but Rich and the other Barbara split years ago.

thats where I'm getting mixed up then , it was the Derby thing that confused me back then.. . Sorry, thanks for the update Rich.

Social source share

Guest 2 Tone Steve

its the same fella mate..I'll tell him to have a read..

The Three Coins was before my time but was a regular at the Central from around 68 onwards..whats your name?

Steve Riley mate. Played rugby with Mick on and off for about 10 years. Never realised he did a bit of DJ ing. Like I said, wasn't a regular at Central but did the odd ska night. Got into Northern Soul a bit later in life. We'll probably know each other if you knew a few Lulus lads. Chip was a good mate of mine in the late 60's, early 70's. There was one famous night when a team of Woodhouse skins came up tp the Welcomb at Tinshill for the Monday night disco and a pop at the local Tinmoor lads. Chip was with them and I was a bit of an older mentor to some of the young uns with Tinmoor. It kicked off in a big way and me and Chip just stood at the bar having a beer and laughing at 'em. Sad he's passed on. Tell Mick I'm back from living abroard and it'll be nice to catch up. Not at Moortown though.

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Who would have thought that this convo that started in 2011, would have spurred me on to restart the Central, and it's still going from strength to strength after 6 years.

Not only was the Central the best years of my younger life, it is now also the best years of my autumn days too.

Who would have thought back in the day, that little 'Bletch', 'Gnomey', would have been the one to get the Central going again some 40 years later?

Thank you to Pete Dillon for putting some fire back into the old belly, and thank you everyone for the support you have given to the Central reborn over the last 6 years.

Steve 

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!