The Volumes 'gotta Give Her Love' On Astra

Derek Pearson

The Volumes "Gotta Give Her Love" originally came out on the American Arts label sometime in late 1964. And what a truly great record it is.

Supposedly a year or so later this yellow vinyl release surfaced on the Pittsburgh based Astra label which I'm lead to believe was a long, long way from being legitimate.

This Steel City imprint just laughed in the face of licensing, royalties and all that boring stuff so the story goes allegedley.

I'd long heard of this yellow vinyl 45 through countless nights of record gossiping with fellow obsessives. But I'd never seen one.

But when I did - I couldn't help but marvel in its glow.

In the darkness of winter months it's like a blast of sunshine.

derek

In all my years I've seen loads of the American Arts release but few if any of the Astra ones.

It wouldn't suprise me one bit if these re-issues (coughs - alright bootlegs - there I've said it) are indeed much rarer than the legit ones.

post-1224-0-53007000-1290950987_thumb.jp

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The Volumes "Gotta Give Her Love" originally came out on the American Arts label sometime in late 1964. And what a truly great record it is.

Supposedly a year or so later this yellow vinyl release surfaced on the Pittsburgh based Astra label which I'm lead to believe was a long, long way from being legitimate.

This Steel City imprint just laughed in the face of licensing, royalties and all that boring stuff so the story goes allegedley.

I'd long heard of this yellow vinyl 45 through countless nights of record gossiping with fellow obsessives. But I'd never seen one.

But when I did - I couldn't help but marvel in its glow.

In the darkness of winter months it's like a blast of sunshine.

derek

Hi Derek, Yes They Are Much Rarer Even Mr.Manship Will Tell You That I Had The WDJ And Black Issue on American Arts But Prefer The Gold Astra Recording ! ! Also Done On Red Vinyl Which Is Supposed To Be Rarer But I Have Seen A Few Red A Couple Like A Greeny/Gold And A Bright Yellow One But As Stated Alleged Boots But Easy On The Eye ! ! rolleyes.gif:ohmy::thumbup:

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

I'm Not Surprised It's A Great Tune But Not Rare Enough For Most DJ's To Play Out ! Shame !

Hmmm...love the first half of the track, incredible begining even, but then it never really goes anywhere and I find myself wanting more from it. Their 'I Just Cna't Help Myself' / 'One Way Lover' double-sider however is faultless...both sides...well I say faultless I think the production of the sound of IJCHM could benefit from less treble! Fussy, I know!

:lol:

Social source share

Hmmm...love the first half of the track, incredible begining even, but then it never really goes anywhere and I find myself wanting more from it. Their 'I Just Cna't Help Myself' / 'One Way Lover' double-sider however is faultless...both sides...well I say faultless I think the production of the sound of IJCHM could benefit from less treble! Fussy, I know!

:wub:

You're So Nit Picky Dave ! :wub::lol:

Social source share

most astra 45s were done in coloured vinyl. I had four / five different copies of the monorays beauty on astra...all in diffreent colours, gold, red, blue...

Some do look down on astra as one of the very first re-isue labels. They indeed (also) concentrated on putting out group, harmony and doo wop records that were much envogue due to heavy radio rotation in pittburgh a few years after these 45s were originally released on their first labels.

Still I like the label, design and output very much.

Marc

Social source share

... Pittsburgh based Astra label which I'm lead to believe was a long, long way from being legitimate...

You're right. Blatant bootleg label. As lovely as these multi-coloured 45s look, they're pressings. Surprises me how some that wouldn't touch a bootleg with bare hands now discuss the beatuy of yellow vinyl :lol:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

sure i used to have one of these, but didn't keep it as the sound quality on it was pretty poor

BRI PINCH

yes about 15 years ago we had a green vinyl copy. sound quality was no where near as good as the american arts copy. bought it for a fiver. sold for about the same i would have thought............ i think it was green , might have been the same as the one above tho :lol:

dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!