Ain't No Soul Best Version?

Patto

Major Lance--Ain't No Soul Left In These Old shoes.This is of course the standard version of this classic track.But is it the best in your opinions which ones do you prefere.Me i own two ---Majors Okeh classic and the pounding version by the Corvairs on Columbia.By the way my corvairs copy is an issue is this rare as all others i have seen for sale are demos

PATTO

Social source share

I must admit, the first copy that I heard was the Major Lance Version.

I like the others but his is the Version that I always think of first.

That Demo copy of the Corvairs that you put up Roger is the one most commonly seen.Mine is an issue is it harder than the demo

to get does anyone know. I have to agree with the majority major is the one for me but love the Corvairs played out loud.Never liked RPs can't get past the falsetto vocal

Social source share

That Demo copy of the Corvairs that you put up Roger is the one most commonly seen.Mine is an issue is it harder than the demo

to get does anyone know. I have to agree with the majority major is the one for me but love the Corvairs played out loud.Never liked RPs can't get past the falsetto vocal

I haven't seen a Stock Copy, only ever seen DEMO's as you mention.

From my experience, Stock Copy of The Corvairs harder to find.

Nice one.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Don't mean to put neg vibes on your thread but I've always thought this is a silly, corny, ludicrous, old song in any form. He's trying to get his ex back by blaming her for the condition of his "old shoes" since she's been gone...What an idiot! No wonder she left him.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Guest geomcewan

Always Majors version for me - and I never thought he was blaming her for the condition of his footwear, just simply stating that he doesn't feel like dancing without his woman

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Dave Turner

Did I read somewhere that was Jay was Jay Traynor? Or did I dream that?

Aid.

Jay & the Techniques - Jay Proctor

Jay & the Americans .- Jay Traynor

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't mean to put neg vibes on your thread but I've always thought this is a silly, corny, ludicrous, old song in any form. He's trying to get his ex back by blaming her for the condition of his "old shoes" since she's been gone...What an idiot! No wonder she left him.

OK you put neg vibes on the thread but what you don't get is that its all about the Major trudging back and forth to the fridge to get his lady a beer and it wore out his slippers..... it's just that "Ain't no soul in these ol' slippers" was catchy enough for a title, so became .... well you know what I mean :D.Major for me all the time although the Sam Fletcher version is pretty good.

Steve

Social source share

I'd go with Major Lance, although theres something about young Ralfi Pagan's voice on the RCA one which I also quite like.

Steve, it only dawned on me recently when I was playing some Ralfi Pagan 45's and then pulled out the Ray Paige RCA record for "Don't Stop Now" that it had to be the same voice? wonder why the name change?

for the thread it gotta be Ronnie Milsap's version for me, and then the Major.

steve

Social source share

Best backing track is Kenny Bernard by a mile, so I'd like that backing track. Not sure about the vocal. Think I prefer Ray Paige's, Major Lances version sounds a little weak compared to some of the other versions.

What do you think about the Corvairs then Pete,To me its more Northern Soul than the others,more frantic with a more driven beat.Funny how this thread has just re-activated itself after i first started it almost 2 years ago

Social source share

For me Ronnie Milsap is the best version. The vocal is stronger compared to ML's vocal (which is actually pretty weak) and I like the arrangment. I also like the arrangment for Kenny Bernard's version at the start but it goes a little OTT (for me) towards the end. Still good though. Ray Paiges was the first version I heard and I used to really like it but I find the "funky guitar" a little over-powering now. I think the Tammi Lynn version is what's widely referred to as "filler".

Social source share

Major Lance--Ain't No Soul Left In These Old shoes.This is of course the standard version of this classic track.But is it the best in your opinions which ones do you prefere.Me i own two ---Majors Okeh classic and the pounding version by the Corvairs on Columbia.By the way my corvairs copy is an issue is this rare as all others i have seen for sale are demos

PATTO

Best version for me is by Major Lance. Classic Northern from the early days!

Social source share

Ronnie Milsap is the original version.

Though the Major Lance one is so slick and well produced it makes Ronnie MiIsap sounds like a rough cover version.

Incidentally, the worst version must be the Soul Fox Orchestra instrumental, even makes the Beatstalkers sound good.

Edited by AlanB
Social source share

• 8 years later...

May I ask why are there two Ronnie Milsap's takes on "Ain't no soul"? One is rawer without Hammond during the song (only the intro) and the other with Hammond notes during the whole song 🤔 my UK Pye International issue plays the sparse production i.e. no Hammond. Thanks!

Social source share

13 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

I spoke to Joey Levine a few years ago about another matter but this came up in conversation ... he said the idea for the song happened when he took his favourite leather shoes, which were pretty worn out, to the cobbler for repair ... he said, and I quote, the cobbler said "I'll do my best but there ain't no sole left in these old shoes .. I'll do what I can with them"

Priceless

Andy

one of my faves    got to be im a cobbler   ha ha

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!