2011-05-29: Manchester European Soul Weekender

Really looking forward to this one now fellas!

With the wondeful Bamberg experience still fresh in my mind this is going to be something of a reunion for a lot of people, and if we can recreate just some of that atmosphere it's going to be a fantastic weekend!

Just in case anyone hasn't yet booked their flights, or are arriving on the Thursday, George Mahood and James Tarn's weekly 'Future Shock' night at the Soup Kitchen in the city centre is hosting it's second 'Temple of Convenience Soul night' reunions with guests, Myself, Alan Darker, Phil Wainwright, and a bunch of other 'Temple' regulars playing the good stuff alongside residents George and james. No better way to set yourselves up for a very long and very soulful weekend....

• Replies 96
  • Views 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Ey up Liam,

what's the crack on the Monday?

Looks like a good day, the chill out session. Thinking of staying on in Manc for the day. Do you know the lineups for the Monday yet?

Was due to be playing a Sunday all dayer near me but that's been changed to some time in June which means I can take part in these festivities!!

Really looking forward to this now. Think we're gonna be at Lydia's vintage fair in the morning then onto the soul do on Sunday. Overnight stay then hopefully around for the Monday.

Steve - wouldve loved to make it a full weekend with s.o.n and Radcliff but have other plans pencilled in.

Defo over from Leeds for the Sunday/Monday though, looks like a top do!

Azza

Hey Azza,

Gary here, Liam is back in the emerald isle at the min, but the long and short of it is it's pretty much the same line up the Sunday but without Christian as he's gotta go back home.

Additionally, you'll have Paul Barker, Harry & Al from the Right Track show and myself and Liam behind the decks too.

2pm - 10pm at Pure Sapce bar - across the road from the Palace Hotel.

Should finish off a massive weekend nicely!!

Event re-cap

DATES: Sunday 29thth and Monday 30th of May

VENUE: Sunday 29th - Palace Hotel, Grand Ballroom Manchester, Oxford Road (opposite the train station) 2pm - 2 am

VENUE: Sunday: The 7 Oaks Pub, Mosley Street/China Town, Manchester, M1 4HL

(launch of the new 7" Soul Club) - Free entry with your weekender wrist band 1am - 6am

VENUE: Monday 30th - Pure Space Bar, 11-13 New Wakefield St (opposite the Palace Hotel) 2PM - 10PM

TOTAL PRICE: £10.00!!!!!!!

DJ´s: Mick H, Marc Forrest, Matt Fox, Christian Ostlund, Edu, Jorg, Liam Quinn, Gary Bratchford, Pete Roberts, Malayka and Many more

TICKETS: Weekend pass for the ENTIRE WEEKENDER can be bought from:

Skiddle.com

Brownpapertickets.com

And the following locations:

King Bee Records, 519 Wilbraham Rd, Chorlton, Manchester M21 OUF UK, Tel: 0161 - 860 4762

Beat 'n' Rhythm, Tib Street, Manchester, 0161 834 7783

Piccadilly Records, Oldham St, Manchester 0161 839 8008

Tickets will be on sale on the door too, £15.00 entry for the entire weekend!!

VENUE: The Palace Hotel GRAND BALLROOM says it all - it is one of the best spaces to hold an event, very decedent, fantastic floor and has a comfortable capacity of 500 people.

Pure Space Bar is smaller and more relaxed with an amazing oak floor, perfect for dancing. Both venues have countless Bars with a variety of drinks on sale.

Entrance is through the main doors of the Hotel where you will be directed to the Grand Ballroom

The 7 Oaks, is a small venue for those who wish to extend the 12hour Sunday session into a full 16hours of soulful delight. Newly fitted floor upstairs which holds 50 dancers and a bar downstairs which will be serving alcohol till 6in the morning! Entry, strictly for those with wristbands only.

Hotels:

The Palace hotel has offers on for all those wishing to stay - when booking quote Eurosoul for a 15% discount.

There are other hotels in Manchester, nearby which are cheap and very nice indeed.

The Jury Inn

The Mint Hotel

Atrium apartments

The Remada

IBIS - just round the corner and very cheap

Any questions email or message me

Eurosoulweekender2011@yahoo.com

post-22431-0-10433200-1305285093_thumb.j

Only a few weeks Left and i'm filled with excitment!! I literally wont want to take a piss for 12 hours on the Sunday as i dont wanna miss ANY of the dj's!!!!

Wish it was this weekend to be honest as i need a good bloomin dance... right well i'll have to wait with the you all, went to the room the other day in the Palace and couldnt stop smiling at the lovely room and setting we're lucky enough to hold this event in....

See you all very soon!....

Manchester awaits you hatsoff2.gif

L

Really looking forward to next weekend, lots of top notch Dj's lined up!!!

Lots of top soul to be heard, and the launch of the seven inch soul club!!!!

Resident Dj''s Gary Bratchford & Paul 'Jnr' Walker and special Guest's

Clanger

Richard Penrith

Rich Evans

Caroline Baldry

Brian Walker

Playing the best in sophisticated Soul, 60's RnB and more,

£3.00 on the door or Free in with Euro-cultured wrist bands!!!!

Seven Oaks

China Town Manchester city centre

5 Nicholas StManchester M1 4HL

0161 237 1233

Hey junior , is this after the sunday dayer ?

Final DJ list and confirmed times for Sunday:

2:00pm-3:10pm – Mike (Denton Soul Night)

3:10pm-4:20pm – Twisted Wheel

4:20pm-5:40pm – Malayka

5:40pm-7:00pm – Edu

7:00pm –8:20pm – Jorg

8:20pm-9:40pm - Dave Rippolles

9:40pm –10:00pm - Matt Fox

10:00pm-11:20pm - Christian Ostlund

11:20 am-12:40am – Mick H

12:40am -2:00am Marc Forrest

Mike has been good enough to fill in for us in the early spot and kick things off with a smoking hot rare set followed by a nod to Manchester's musical heritage and one of the most renowned soul clubs for which we're lucky to have on our door step. After our first two guests are finished representing the soulful spectrum of Manchester its 10 hours of Europe's FINEST for your listening pleasure!

Monday will be a special back-to-back 'double deck' session in Pure Space Bar across the road where the DJ's will mix it up with some MASSIVE choons from across the board...and a wee set from me and Liam too.

Looking forward to it everyone, hope you all have a safe journey up and enjoy the HUGE weekend of soul in Manchester.

Spread the word, spread the faith,

Gary

:thumbsup:

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B

After a fantastic night last night and seeing the smiley faces from all our guests dancing away i can now say i'm soooo fecking excited its untrue... bumped into Edu and dave the D today funny old thing in a RECORD STORE! King Bee no less, which was great and i have been informed Marc Forrest has arrived safely which is fantastic smile.gif ....ONE MORE!! CHRISTIAN ARRIVED 2MORO AND IT'S ALL GO...

SEE YOU ALL 2NITE AND RADCLIFFE OR TOMORROW AT THE EURO FEST!!...

IN SOUL

LIAM

Well were do i start,just got home from the weekender and must say what a great time weve both had,was a bit hesitant firstly cause we didnt know what stuff was going to be played but im telling you the records ive heard tonight in the SPACE BAR just blew us away.Well done to all who played there tonight and i envy all those young people who have all that music to hand,it reminds me of when i was young lad starting of at Wigan all them years ago and 35 years later still at it when done lads keep them new records spinning !!!!hatsoff2.gif

Edited by wiganelli

I really dont know where to start, though i think a massive THANK YOU to everyone who travelled from all over Europe and the UK to attend the European Soul Weekender it was a Blinder!!! One of the best weekends i've had in years thumbsup.gif Amazing people, amazing venue, amazing Dj's and one amazing Weekend yes.gif

When my feet are firmly landed back on planet earth i will write a review on the weekender..

Again i cannot say this enough, Thank you to those who supported Gary and I and made this a really special weekend that i'll never forget....

In Soul

Liam

I really dont know where to start, though i think a massive THANK YOU to everyone who travelled from all over Europe and the UK to attend the European Soul Weekender it was a Blinder!!! One of the best weekends i've had in years thumbsup.gif Amazing people, amazing venue, amazing Dj's and one amazing Weekend yes.gif

When my feet are firmly landed back on planet earth i will write a review on the weekender..

Again i cannot say this enough, Thank you to those who supported Gary and I and made this a really special weekend that i'll never forget....

In Soul

Liam

MY GOD THAT WAS FUN!

I second Liam's thoughts - for me, everything was perfect. Little improvements to be made before next year but over all it had everything; Great people, great DJ's, great music and 2 fantastic venues.

Thanks to all those who came from across Europe as well as those who managed to come back for the second day and made the last few hours very special.

Very special moment!

Gary

Not sure why there weren't any Irish djs on that European line up. But we totally owned the dance floor Sunday night :DAfterparty at 7 Oaks (I think that was the venue) was the highlight for me. The music was insanely good. Would anyone know the big super heavy funky soul New Orleans type tune that was played in The Palace at 00.47. As in after midnight. Asked a few people and noone knew it. Tried to get up on the stage to find out but got lost in the hotel instead.

Not sure why there weren't any Irish djs on that European line up. But we totally owned the dance floor Sunday night :DAfterparty at 7 Oaks (I think that was the venue) was the highlight for me. The music was insanely good. Would anyone know the big super heavy funky soul New Orleans type tune that was played in The Palace at 00.47. As in after midnight. Asked a few people and noone knew it. Tried to get up on the stage to find out but got lost in the hotel instead.

Me and Liam were born in Ireland - we played the sunday, does that count...you've got to remember it was over two days :lol:

BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!

Massive hats off to Liam and Gary for putting this weekend together. Hope some feedback gets back to the organisers of the Eurocultured weekend as you guys did a sterling job. Fitting that hall out with a dancefloor, tables n chairs, sound system etc Sunday morning, top job!!

Also, well done to all the guys n gals from Europe who made the effort to come over. It added a lot to the weekend.

DJ's were on top form throughout and offered a great mix of soul. Seemed to have bounced off each other from set to set and the dancefloor was never quiet.

Loved the Sunday but thought the Monday was awsome, right up my street.

Mick H played a blinder on the Sunday and Marc Forrest on the Monday; A masterclass in crossover.

My only regret was I missed a big section of the Sunday (got there at 8) but was supporting the missus at Lyd's vintage fair. Had to leave at 5 on the Monday to get back to Leeds before the tiredness kicked, so sadly missed the likes of Mr Leaver et al. Trust it went well.

Really enjoyed the do at 7 Oakes too. Nice little venue and the place was rocking. Rich Evans was on fire behind the decks.

Overall, great weekend, superb music and fantastic company. Well done to all involved, hope it's not a one off

Azza

Guest ang b

Only did the sunday alldayer & it was fantastic, the atmosphere, the music, the venue & the company it was great allround, well done Liam & Gary & thanks :thumbsup:

just a very quick one as I have to catch up with so many things workwise currently...anyway, a fabulous weekend(er), a great city (just been reminded by thsi great weekender...it IS one of my fave cities in the world I must say)...awesome venue, two top blokes organizing what must have been a "nightmare" to organize, fab job well done buddies !!! brilliant company and as matt just said unbelievable number of laughs thru the whole weekend...especially on the monday night :rolleyes:laugh.gif ....bloody fab fab fabulistic fabulous !!

ATB

Marc

Would anyone know the big super heavy funky soul New Orleans type tune that was played in The Palace at 00.47. As in after midnight. Asked a few people and noone knew it. Tried to get up on the stage to find out but got lost in the hotel instead.

Hi Wendy, 00.47... that would have been the second or third record in my set...if only I could remember any sort of order in my plays I would gladly tell you what the tune in question was...but sorry, sadly no memory...I blame Gary`s steady support of beer for this. Getting lost in the hotel...did that myself after I managed to lock myself out when I looked for the stage entrance...went thru some dark and unbelievable almost "thriller-like" sections of this hotel which must have had seen the last human beings around 1892 I am sure LOL :rolleyes:

ATB

Marc

What a bloody weekend, one the best i've ever experienced and lucky enough for me its on my doorstep thumbsup.gif ...Right from Friday seeing the guys at the Beat Boutique set the scene for the rest of the weekend, Laughs, Smiles, dancing, drinks, more laughs and great bloody Soul music...iT TRULY WAS PARTY TIME IN MANCHESTER!!! Saturday at Radcliffe all-nighter was braved by many and thankfully they all came out the other side, haggard but ready to go again on the Sunday for the Euro Weekender at the Palace i was gutted i missed New Century at Radcliffe but i was knackered after a week of preparations my sleepy head just wouldnt allow for the all-nighter truly out of training....

Sunday was an early start for myself and Gary getting to the venue and sorting a few last bits and bobs out while setting of the emergency alarm ohmy.gif to the hotel in the process laugh.gif ...

The Palace Hotel on entrance can only leave you speechless at its Beauty and enormity!.. the architecture within the building is fantastic and very grand indeed, the venue is also very big and Mr Marc Forrest found this out to be true getting lost in one of its basement mazes and nearly ending up being locked in some part of the hotel which no one seems to be able to find or get there way out of if they end up there!!! Fortunately the German Dj after trying to break down a door with metal, cards, coins and all sorts of implements got rescued! haha... i dont think your gonna forget that in a hurry Marc laugh.gif... anyhoo after Gaz and I put together the final touches running around like headless chickens, 12pm was upon us and we started seeing a few dj's and punters in the lobby, some fresh faced, some not so fresh faced!! ph34r.gif no names no.gif .... Right from the off (2pm) the flow of people coming into the Ballroom was steady and Ballroom got the same reaction from most people on entrance.... WOW!!!!! ohmy.gif The Palace Ballroom really is overwhelmingly beautiful and bloody BIG and little did we know that we was gonna have the place Rocking and packed in no time!! biggrin.gif .... First on the decks was Mike (Denton Soul Club) who played a bloody great spot of stuff he doesnt get a chance to play out as he told us and really enjoyed it even though the first set isnt always the easiest as its only starting to fill up, Mikes set was a great one and i'd like to hear the man play some more for sure!.... Next up was Pete from the Twisted Wheel who blasted out wheel bangers for an hour and got the dancefloor going with some of the old Favourites being enjoyed by all...

Malayka came to the decks with a BOOM for our first European guest and changed the styles about and played a set of fantastic crossover 7ts modern and 6ts which had dj's and punters on the floor and the tunes were sounding beautiful in the Ballroom.... STeadily building on numbers in room, following on from Malakya was Edu and what can i say every tune a eyebrow raiser or a killer which unfortunately wasnt heard by a full room but was appreciated by all who were lucky enough to be in the Palace early doors thumbsup.gif Wanting to hear something imaginative, new and a set that will put 20 new 45s on your wants list? GO LISTEN TO EDU'S SET!

The Atmosphere was really getting going now and we had Johnny Marr from the Smiths in attendance sat at the back with friends loving the tunes and admiring the dancers on the floor which was a nice surprise and as a Smiths fan i was little take back that he was attending our night, didnt work up the baws to go say hello though!! maybe cause i was covered in sweat at the time thanks to the dj's keeping me on the floor, Johnny mate there's a top tune on sorry mate maybe next year! ha! tongue.gif .... Representing Austria was Jorg next, storming on with a thumping 6ts and 7ts set that was driving the dancefloor now and the Palace Hotel was thumping with BIG HEAVY STORMERS being appreciated by all sections of the crowd Massively... Major Skillz from the big man!....

The Palace Ballroom for the Weekender had a absolutely brilliant parquet flooring down which was perfect for the dancers all night and the feedback i got on the floor was brilliant as we had a little bit of a panic getting the floor at the last minute but these things always work out for the best .. Here a wee video of early on at the nighter!!!! https://www.facebook....210751948964890 hopefully that works....

Next up from the UK was DAVE the D, the Crossover King!! Dave's set from Jorgs again was magic as it flowed and contrasted also giving everyone a taste of something different.... Hearing SAG WAR FARE in that big hall sent me spinning through the floor!! the vibe was truly set, there was a buzz about that you can't explain, but it was in the air and everyone was buzzing from it, like a surfer seeing the swell and it just got bigger and bigger and he's ON IT....Dave's set again was something to behold with the Palace getting absolutely packed and a steady dancefloor, the joint was rocking......

Before i forget Each and Everyone who attended the Soul Weekender i would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart be it from Salford or Spain, i love you all to bits!!!.....

Ok before i get to emotional, Onwards... And none other than Sir Matthew Fox, this guy is without a doubt one of the greatest characters on the Soul Scene! he's got so much charisma and enthusiasm if you shoved a plug up his backside he'd bloody light up the whole of Manchester! But we had him set fire to the dancefloor with a set that was so well put together and left the crowd begging for more!... Following Dave the Dentist is a near impossible feat in itself, but Matt smashed it and IS UP THERE WITH THE BEST....FACT.....

NOW WHERE WAS CHRISTIAN??? the BIG VIKING in what could only have been a tribute to his Ancient ancestors went exploring after i explained a story early on that morning when collecting him from airport about the underground tunnels of Manchester and them being under the Palace Hotel and it being haunted, well Christian and a few of his fellow Europeans thought lets see if if i was telling the truth!! THEY went down and I MEAN TO THE UNDERGROUND TUNNELS OF MANCHESTER PROPER!!! I'm just glad they made it out in one piece, but i think they wont forget that experience in a hurry and im still having cold sweats in panic about the Christian being lost under the Manchester and missing his Set at the Palace.. Alas he braved it back covered in Cobwebs (YOU COULDNT WRITE THIS COULD YOU...OH WAIT A MINUTE I AM! HA) and Done the Swedish Soul Crew Proud by playing a set straight from the Heart poured onto the dancefloor and mopped up gladly by the feet of hundreds of Soulies Who loved every minute of his set... Sometimes you dont want a set to end, this happens everytime i hear the Big Swede play his 45's!! MAGIC.....

Up Second Last was our very own Mick H from the UK, no introduction needed, every tune a MONSTER!... Mick was loving it behind the decks and commands the Mic and dancefloor like no one else!... THe PALACE HOTEL Was Storming, dancers, talc (oh little bit too much at one stage as a talc bottle burst on floor ha) and Mick was laying down only the finest as he knows best...Winner after winner they just kept a coming!!.....

Last Up was Berlin's Soul Daddy Marc Forrest who complimented Mick H so well and brought in the last hour in style, with a minor hiccup with the sound unsure.gif but all was back on track and HE NAILED IT.... PERSONAL HIGHLIGHT WAS LONELY MAN BY THE DYNAMICS!! BROUGHT ME AND THE REST TO OUR KNEES ON THE FLOOR, AND A THE 20 ODD B-BOYS WHO WERE AT THE NIGHTER ALSO LOVED THE TUNES FROM THE LAST TWO HOURS AND IT WAS A PARTY ATMOSPHERE LIKE NO OTHER..... Last track was the Beautiful Swan Silvertones and it was PERFECT..... THE END OF THE NIGHT WAS HUGS AND HAND SHAKES AND A MASS OF PEOPLE HIGH ON BEAUTIFUL MUSIC AND ATMOSPHERE..... WHERE TO NEXT??? THE AFTERPARTY NO LESS!!!! .... i bowed out as i was far tooo tired but reports are it was another one for the history books.....

THIS WAS PT.1........SUNDAY ALL DAYER..........

PT2. SPACE BAR EUROPEAN SOUL WEEKENDER DAY 2 TBC SOON........PICTURES, SET LISTS, YOUR STORIES ALL WELCOME!!!

Edited by toodarnsoulful

Great read ! Would have loved to do this but had other commitments , maybe next time . We did pop in to see PatB in the foyer and do a record deal , I agree its a very beautiful building.

Are you likely to do it again ?

The real question is...are we mad enough to do another...and I think those with us that weekend know the answer to that question!

• Helpful 1
Guest Leona M

Wow! What just happened?????

Have finally rejoined reality after a SPECTACULAR Weekend in God's own City yes.gif

It was really quite something to come back home after 11 years and to be part of this event..... ALL the Dj's were awesome and the European Soul Family were on top form. We never stopped laughing and dancing the whole weekend, met some very old friends and made some new ones wink.gif

I really didn't want it to end ....the highlight for me was Monday afternoon session in Pure Space ..... I challenge anyone to find a better soundtrack to a Bank Holiday Monday!

Edu and Dave double decking was one of my favourites ...talk about the Dream Team! I also really loved the after party on Sunday, knocking on a seedy back door and being let in to a crowded, steamy, LOUD room ....that's my kind of venue!

This is definitely one for the calendar for next year, thanks Liam and Gary ...you did a grand job ...i take my hat off to you both hatsoff2.gif

Bring on 2012!!!!

Leona wub.gif

Wot Leona said - a wonderful event, topping off a fantastic (but exhausting) weekend of Soul in the Manchester area thumbsup.gif

The after-party, courtesy of the 7 Inch Soul Club in Chinatown til the early hours of Monday morning was so much fun - and I left at 5.30am, before the "extra entertainment" arrived!:yes: :yes: :lol:

I wondered whether the Monday session might be a bit flat after such a punishing schedule - but the Space Bar was still alive and very much kicking when I had to leave at 9pm. A tremendous mix of soul music played all day by the DJ's :thumbsup:

Let's do it all again - soon!thumbup.gif

The after-party, courtesy of the 7 Inch Soul Club in Chinatown til the early hours of Monday morning was so much fun - and I left at 5.30am, before the "extra entertainment" arrived!shhh.gifshhh.gif:yes:

well, dont feel sorry about that...I was there till 8am and eye witnesses told me the next day I seemed to "enjoy" this extra entertainment...BUT...I had and up to today still have no memory of that ever happening...:thumbsup::yes:

Sag War Fare says it all for me gutted couldnt be there but other pressing matters as you know whens the book out Liam pt1 was a reet riveting read :hatsoff2:

K

It was the day after the night before and the needles were still sizzling from the epic night which had just passed. The day began with a lovely chat with Jo Wallace at breakfast in the Palace Hotel about the night in the Grand Ballroom which put my mind at ease over the outcome of the first night. Jo had some lovely words to say and was very happy to pick up a free Guardian newspaper too; it's the little things in life which make each day so sweet eh Jo?

Breakfast finished (I made sure I ate as much as I could, the day before I was sooo nervous that I decided to only eat a chocolate pastry which went on to cost me £25.00,!)

As I left the hotel (9:30am) Jorg was stumbling in from the 7"Soul Club allnighter :sleep3: so I was a little worried that my all nighter might have left everyone running on empty for the Monday double deck session... I was soon proved to be VERY WRONG :hatsoff2:!!

Over to Pure Space Bar on New Wakefield Street, a venue which was in the middle of the festival street art site, the ground floor was in contrast to the decadent setting of the Grand Ballroom the night prior. A modern bar with an amazing oak floor Liam and I set things off with a few records while Matt fox took it all in. Europe's finest street arrests took to painting the walls outside and Europe's best set about offering up another dose of blazing soul, classic oldies and fantastic cross-over's inside for the next 8 hours.

Our first DJ didn't turn up so Liam and I took to warming the crowd as it began to fill at either side of the seated area. A few familiar tired faces took stock as the records started to pick up the pace before Christian took to the deck to play a final spot before he flew home. Christian epitomises the spirit of Weekender, travelling for 6 hours, turning up on the Sunday having done his Soulastatic session the night before back in Sweden and then flying back on the Monday. What a guy, great records, great party attitude and plenty of air miles!!

I hope I have this in the right order, but really the order is insignificant, what is important is the records played and the response to each DJ by those begging for more. Dr Adam Leaver took to the decks with a fantastic mix of soul and funk rarities which got the crowd moving. The Wayne's World mantra of 'if you book them, they will come' soon started to take shape as each DJ played, more and more people began to fill the venue. Set in a 'New York Loft' style bar, the venue suited the Monday vibe. As Adam played, those sitting began to tap their feet and you could feel the energy rise. Before you knew it we had dancers, and plenty of them. Taking the bull by the horns Dave Rip and Edu double decked their way into everyone's hearts and minds. Exchanging records like blows in a heavyweight fight these two took the crowd right up to the bell in the twelfth round, you couldn't call it! Keeping with the sporting analogy locals Harry and Al kept the dancers on their toes and against the ropes :wicked:. Heavyweight songs peppered with unknown gems and a few cheeky cheap crowd pleasers ensured everyone was having a ball & paved the way for a fresh faced Jorg to turn it up to 11 (second film reference of the paragraph - name that film).

With over 5 hours gone and Liam's initial timetable totally ruined (plan B - just let them go wild) it was left for Sir Matt Fox to spin some biggies. Matt isn't just a DJ, he's a performer and that's what he did. Dancing behind the decks with a smile which befits such a soulful man he kept them coming thick and fast. As his set finished he was awarded a standing ovation from Harry Grundy et al. The best DJ moment of his life...you'd have to ask him but I'm satisfied in knowing that for me, that was a moment to cherish & not to be forgotten anytime soon. From that moment onwards I began to realise what me and Liam had set out to achieve was becoming a reality...A fun, no ego's, none judgemental weekend of amazing music played by great DJ's, both in personality/outlook and record collections, to fantastic people who took a punt on two young and relatively unproven promoters in two new venues for the very first time.

The last hour was upon us, we summoned Marc Forrest to go get his records and play to the wanting crowd. As the last hour began, Marc's set was again hampered by technical difficulties. We were reduced to 1 deck, yet Marc showed his character and skill in handling the crowd on the mic by blasting out MEGA 7's, one after the other. Liam's stress levels had erupted, largely to do with the fact that as everything started to break I'd gone out for a walk and a coffee. Upon my return Marc was still battling on and the 'Johnny Howard' for a turntable began... 3 broken turntables later and Marc was still keeping everything 100mph...I don't even know if anyone noticed, that's how good he was! Absolute legend!!:wave:

Just when you think you're winning the next crisis cropped up...we were being closed early.

Due to finish at 10:30 I'd gotten us a wee extension, only to be told at five-to-ten that we have 5 mins left before the next act came up! Negations were had while everyone else, blissfully unaware danced to Marc's amazing set. We got a last minute blessing to play to 11 and we were winning again!

The time had come and Matt Fox insisted on Liam and me to do the final 30mins. Liam played some fantastic records and against his better judgement I'm really glad he played. We'd not wanted to play because the event was for everyone else and not us. We considered it work and we were 'delivering' something and had not indented to play at all but as soon as we got behind the decks I felt we'd won! I was the happiest I'd been all weekend and I can speak for Liam here when we I say it was a magic moment.

A fantastic guy who flew over for the weekend called Markus said you could "feel and see the music pass you by, record by record, it was next level". As soon as Liam started to play I could relate to what Markus said, we were, if only for a short time, finally involved in the weekends pleasures. For me, it was when I played 'Drifting' by Baby Huey. Liam and I looked at each other, looked at Matt and Marc and the crowd and we could just see how much it meant to everyone who came back for the second day. It was very special indeed !

With the final thank you's and goodbyes the applause was overwhelming and totally unexpected. Whoops, cheers, whistles and clapping as powerful as the two days of records which had preceded it, it was all over!

:thumbup::sweatingbullets::thumbup:hatsoff2.gif

TO EVERYONE INVOLVED AND TO ALL THOSE WHO SUPPORTED THE MANCHESTER EUROPEAN SOUL WEEKENDER I EXTEND MY UPMOST GRATITUDE!!!

On a personal tip, I'd like to that this opportunity to thank Liam for his support, vision and drive; a cracking work colleague and a good friend!

All the very best and we'll see you all NEXT YEAR!

Gary & Liam.

nice one, Gary thumbsup.gif

your spot on Monday was really great and it was nice to see ya and Liam behind the decks, cause you were soooo happy and thankful...

two youngsters on the scene managed a proper weekend...an absolutely perfect across the board dayer/niter on Sunday (incl. an awesome after show party) and a massive & open minded alldayer till 11pm (!!!) incl. all kinda soulful sounds on Monday...the crowd was between 25 and 65 years old...like it should be - imo...and once again: cheers for one of the best weekends in my life!!! started on Friday @ Soul or nothing and Beat Boutique...and on Saturday @ New Century Soul...every fookin event was bloody brilliant!!! Manc got soul....oh yessss!!!!

atb, m.

Edited by mattfox

I must say as I read the Pt2 of the review I had a giggle and nearly a bloomin tear in me eye thinking about what went on over the weekend and the little things i forgot, £25 pastrys, Matt Fox playing Johnnie Mae Matthews and of course Baby Huey will be a timeless moment never to leave me..it was all over too soon...

Finally from my part I would like to say also that Gary has been waaaay to modest here and the admin, behind the scene work, proposals and work he put in was invaluable, having to put up with me is a feat in itself laugh.gif and the man should be knighted!... Sure this is what happens when two Irishmen get together! They organise a MASSIVE PARTY!!!!

Any playlists from the Dj's get em up!..