Freda Payne - Unhooked Generation

Ljblanken

i have the invictus 9080 single with 'unhooked generation' and 'deeper and deeper'. but today i saw a video on youtube of freda payne singing 'unhooked generation' and it seemed like a slightly different recording (much more prominent backing vocals). were there alternate versions? am i crazy?

i know that song was also released on invictus 9073 (with 'easiest way to fall'), but i don't own it. maybe that was a different mix/recording?

anyway... just bugging me. thanks for any info!

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i have the invictus 9080 single with 'unhooked generation' and 'deeper and deeper'. but today i saw a video on youtube of freda payne singing 'unhooked generation' and it seemed like a slightly different recording (much more prominent backing vocals). were there alternate versions? am i crazy?

i know that song was also released on invictus 9073 (with 'easiest way to fall'), but i don't own it. maybe that was a different mix/recording?

anyway... just bugging me. thanks for any info!

In the Invictus era HDH were renowned for giving multiple mixes to the same track, editing bits out and adding to them as they felt necessary. Without digging out all of the the various configurations of UnGen that I possess, my own memory is telling me that there are at least two different mixes available across singles and albums and that, as you say, one has some 'extra' backing vocals.

And Lars' analysis of the matrices would seem to confirm that 9073 is the 'A-1' mastering while 9080 is the 'A-5' mastering, implying that they made at least 5 cuts of the track before deciding which one(s) to go with.

Social source share

wow! thanks for both of your comments. it blows my mind how fluid these processes were (recording, mixing, releasing) and how they could be tweaked along the way. so interesting! forces one to be an "active" listener.

going out to DJ a party in a few hrs - and will put this freda payne in the box just to listen closely to the backing vocals on my copy.

enjoy your weekends!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!