Who Was/is James Coit

Guest miff

Just listend to this for the first time in years, and was just wondering who he was, did he recored any thing else, are they any more releases on the Phoof lable

Figured out the lables from New York, but thats about all I can find out, I know it was booted, Original has a SonicSound matrix stamp, More intrested in anything else on the lable, or the man himself

Social source share

Source: https://funky16corners.lunarpages.net/?p=432

Aside from the music, the first thing I noticed was that it appeared that the record (or at least the label, Phoof) was from Long Island, NY, affixed with the snappy slogan: "Featuring the Bayport Echo Sound of Long Island".

Both sides of the record are excellent in their own way. 'Black Power' opens with catchy, fast moving guitar riff, followed by some heavy drums and sharp horns. Mr Coit drops in with a rough and ready, Eddie Floyd-esque vocal. The lyrics are - if not exactly as militant as the title might suggest - certainly topical and powerful, and might be even more so if the composition thereof weren't credited to someone named 'Mike Szymanski'.

Kenny got a demo of this from the Plinston for a fiver. Gotta be a wise shopper these days! :yes:

Social source share

Just listend to this for the first time in years, and was just wondering who he was, did he recored any thing else, are they any more releases on the Phoof lable

Figured out the lables from New York, but thats about all I can find out, I know it was booted, Original has a SonicSound matrix stamp, More intrested in anything else on the lable, or the man himself

I have an old issue of Record World from the mid 60's with a blurb about James Coit and a photo of him. As I recall, he was rather heavy-set.

Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 30/11/2010 at 10:54, Guest miff said:

Ultra Sonic matrix, is that the same?

Social source share

3 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

Is this an issue or demo as does not say it’s a demo. Thought issues were red, though I could be wrong.

285FB12F-0CCC-4768-BC49-7F1A9C47DEED.jpeg

It most probs is a Demo and as there was only one release on this label (as far as we are aware) they just didn't put "Demo", just as other labels didn't sometimes

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Yep the white one is the demo and judging by the crack we had on other sites recently this is a record held in real affection within the rare soul community,listen to it without your snobby (it aint rare head on lol ) and it just stands the test of time. Title says it all really "a calling to black civil rights at a crucial time for Black Amercia enuff said ".

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Remember this getting spins at Notts Palais 1977, was a real love it or hate it item (I've always really liked it) - actually it got really slated in some soul music mags at the time (they must have wanted the Joe 90's and Rainbow People / Bobby Goldsboro's instead), think there is a counterfeit and a bootleg (have had both), got the white stamped demo in my box - a proper BLACK 60's SOUL record !

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Massive back in the day,..On a side note, always found the quirky quote at the begining of the record endearing, where he states that he as something to tell us and that he hopes it dosent offend anybody...class

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!