Soulman

• Replies 36
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

We've all got big regrets from our collecting life, and this is one of mine. I was at the 100 one nite and was gonna buy one identically labelled to this. Mostly I was gonna buy it 'cause I thought it looked so much better than the other labels of it that I'd seen. What stopped me was that it was during one of the several times during the scene's history when it was getting overplayed, but because it looked so nice to my eyes ( personal tastes) and unusual, I really wanted it. I was under the impression at the time that this was the rarest format ( think a review in one of the old fanzines had declared it such, possibly "thinking man's oldies" column in midnight express?)

Can't exactly remember why I didn't come home with it, but when I didn't I promised myself if I saw a red one again I'd buy it. This was maybe 15 years ago and I aint seen one in a sales box in all that time, as I remember, hmm?

Interestingly Popsike has 7 wdj's on Philtown, and 2 green/yellow issues. I thought there were two variations on white demo's, or am I wrong/getting it mixed up with 7th Ave?

Social source share

Scanned this out of my box and wondered how rare / valuable it was compared to the usual Philtown labels you see it on. (Zoom in and note that it's autographed too. Wonder who Vivian was?)

post-8483-0-36903200-1291237554_thumb.jp

I have one in ex condition. Didnt realize it was so "different":rolleyes: Nice to know -cheers

DJ

Social source share

Scanned this out of my box and wondered how rare / valuable it was compared to the usual Philtown labels you see it on. (Zoom in and note that it's autographed too. Wonder who Vivian was?)

post-8483-0-36903200-1291237554_thumb.jp

i sold a red issue sometime during the mid 90's at the griffin allnighter leeds for around the £200-250 mark, cant remember who to, think it might have been gary field, anyway thats by the by, what makes your scan interisting is the autograph, i rember steve handbury showing me his copy around the same time, that was also an autographed red stocker, is yours steves old copy

Social source share

i sold a red issue sometime during the mid 90's at the griffin allnighter leeds for around the £200-250 mark, cant remember who to, think it might have been gary field, anyway thats by the by, what makes your scan interisting is the autograph, i rember steve handbury showing me his copy around the same time, that was also an autographed red stocker, is yours steves old copy

I have always known the red copys to be the more common then w/d and the green yellow to be the rarest
Social source share

Hi

Bought the red issue a couple of years ago (£450), thought it to be the most common, sold on now unfortunately about the same price, VG++

Social source share

i took it off you at canklow trev

dave

Social source share

without a doubt, i've only seen 2 red stockers in 25 years, seen plenty of w.d's and yellow / greens

Only seen 2 reds in 25 years where have you been :hatsoff2: over that time there have been plenty up for sale

time to wake up now :thumbsup: price for green/yellow in guide 5 is £800 case closed i think

Edited by russell f
Social source share

the boy next door is one of the best sweet soul records

Yes !! brilliant song. What about the bit when the singer comes in with "I'll be there when things go wrong......." great stuff.

gutted now, I parted with mine :hatsoff2: Anyone got a copy with a wrecked "you sould o' held on" side by any chance ?

Social source share

:) Nice one "64"... Must admit though that the whole reason I put the scan up was because I've only seen a couple of "reds" but with a different design to this one. Probably need to ask Andy Dyson if his is identical. Cooooeeee... Mr Dyson, over to you :thumbsup:

ahhhh well , if it says so in "the" price guide then it must be right, it also says typhoo on the side of a bus

Social source share

:) Nice one "64"... Must admit though that the whole reason I put the scan up was because I've only seen a couple of "reds" but with a different design to this one. Probably need to ask Andy Dyson if his is identical. Cooooeeee... Mr Dyson, over to you :thumbsup:

as i said the one i had had a different label design. so thats 2 different red label layouts.................... bloody common after al lol

dave

Social source share

as i said the one i had had a different label design. so thats 2 different red label layouts.................... bloody common after al lol

dave

My red label copy came from John Anderson in 1980. The label layout was identical the the scan. I sold it on to Kev Draper.

Andy

Social source share

My red label copy came from John Anderson in 1980. The label layout was identical the the scan. I sold it on to Kev Draper.

Andy

Kev had quite a few things. Most of my stuff came from John as I only lived down the road from him and nearly always got the pick of whatever was new in stock. Marisa, his wife would always say "Here's George Michael" when I pulled up. Had hair back then, stupid hair at that!!! Anyway, think my copy came from Jim Wensiora in the late seventies which all fits in with the stats so far. I'm still eager to know which was the first release though (or rather design) as there seem to be more and more differences of opinion surfacing. Thanks for all the info so far chaps :thumbsup:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!