Dance Competition Winners

Guest melodyvideo

Guest melodyvideo

Looking on the forums I have found the list of past dancecompetition winners below. They might not all be accurate and names might havechanged since then (also my spelling is rubbish!)

Can anyone think of anymore champs and how to find them? Ta

Angie Lawrence

Steve Ceaser

Steve Daniels

Simon Omeily

Frank Booper

Vernon

Sue Booth

Chris Hurley

Janey Nichols

Steve Daniels

Social source share

Guest east rob

The World Northern Soul Dancing Champions from 2006 are listed at www.goldsoul.co.uk

but you dont state which world. yours, or everybody else's :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest melodyvideo

You don't state which dance competions. There must be many over the years.

Sorry I wasn't clear I was thinking of winners who over theyears have won multiple comps. Can be anytime since the beginning to now!

Social source share

Guest melodyvideo

but you dont state which world. yours, or everybody else's :)

It's true there are two worlds, thanks for picking up on that. But I think it would be safer to ask the question in everyone else's world. I think I always win the competitions in mine.

Social source share

Guest karen b

I have seen Sue Booth once since Yate closed, it was a number of years ago in Stoke at a Modern niter

at Jolleys. We had a surreal but hilarious exchange/chat in the ladies toilets.

Exactly as I had remembered her.laugh.gif

Karen x

Social source share

The World Northern Soul Dancing Champions from 2006 are listed at www.goldsoul.co.uk

No disrespect Kev ...

but i think the poster is referring to winners at Wigan ..circa 70's .....i'm sure if he meant the "WORLD CHAMPIONS" he'd have specifically asked :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest toaster

Jethro Wolverhampton

Sandy holt Bolton

Vinnie Bradford ???

Think these fantastic dancers won Wigan

Stewie Pinder from Darlington used to win a few up hear in the North East in the 70s.Dunelm House in Durham comes to mind,76? .

Social source share

Guest Little Anthony

The winners for the anniversary nights which I went to were;

1978: Sandy Holt (dancing to Surprise Party for Baby + Don't it make you feel funky = one other)

1979: Sparky (dancing to Captain of my ship + two others)

1981 Vernon (Can't remeber the records from this one)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest frenchie

Oh No sad.gif

I cann't believe that Danny Daniels (Steve) is in a wheelchair. He was probably one of the best dancers I have ever seen in my very long time on the scene. I was with him the night he won that dancing competition as he had been staying in Crewe. Think we had gone to the Carlton Club in Warrington prior to the nighter....but that could of been the year after. I had heard he had had a rough few years, but to end up in a wheelchair is such a tragedy.

He could spin like no other!

yes.gif

x

Social source share

Hi,

Yes, Vernon was/is from Bradford. Also, good my friend, Steve Caesar (who originates from Leeds), is well and living in London - spoke to him last week.

Regards,

V.

Social source share

Guest roggert

last time i heard of hector he was dj ing at the old english in matlock mid 70 swith nick carter -he might know he s got a motor sales place over matlock way

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Looking on the forums I have found the list of past dancecompetition winners below. They might not all be accurate and names might havechanged since then (also my spelling is rubbish!)

Can anyone think of anymore champs and how to find them? Ta

Angie Lawrence

Steve Ceaser

Steve Daniels

Simon Omeily

Frank Booper

Vernon

Sue Booth

Chris Hurley

Janey Nichols

Steve Daniels

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

There were and probably still are, fantastic dancers, who have never entered a dance competition. If you are, or were a dancer, you know. You also know who else is/was better than you. You rank people from YOUR top 10, and place yourself accordingly. N.S dance competitions are either judged by DJ's ( who usually can't dance ), or the crowd, (who usually dance for fun and applaud loudest for their home town competitor, or the best acrobat). In my opinion, the dancers I admired and copied, didn't do it for a show-off 15 minutes, They did it for hours, pushed the limits and embraced new styles, I don't need to mention their names, they know who they are !

Social source share

Not sure about this thread. There were so many dance competitions back in the 70's. A starting point would be to list the venues and dates then solicit contributions. Wigan has been covered in an earlier thread. For the archives and for a good general read, this is a worthwhile exercise. The competition winners 40 years ago were legends then and still are now  - each had their own moves and were admired for what they brought to the scene. Somewhere along the way, things changed and competitions nowadays are little more than a jolly jape bunged in to liven up an event, and an opportunity for exhibitionists to perform rhythmic gymnastics for YouTube contributors.

Social source share

Guest NorthNotts

Little Mark 'Simmo' Simmonds from Notts, had a couple of years in St Helens 79 - 81, he is still about, top dancer and still spinning! :yes:

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Janie/all -

I was sat with my mum and dad when that came on 'Tops of the Pops' and I loved seeing the energy. For all the politics, it was dynamic and excited me...made me want to dance like that! I remember what my dad said (he is 91 this year):- "What the hell are they bloody doing son?" I pi**ed myself. I was 19 or there abouts. I said 'Dad, they are dancing the night away to great soul records and not on the street causing trouble'!! He replied 'If I had the money, I would open one of those places in Hull'..it was so funny...his jaw was on the floor watching.  It made me feel special as unbeknown I was on a similar journey and only learning about Wigan etc. Happy days...and there should be no regrets......that inspired many people I know it did. We used to talk about it and invent steps. I still do because of it.  In fact, I was practising at the Torquay Soul Weekender just gone. Big massive dance floor...love it. Thank you Wigan and all the other venues......

Talking of which...how about this kitty dancing to Frank Wilson:

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Danny Daniels r.i.p bless him,champion spinner,never seen anyone match him since,blew them away at Wigan when he was only 16 years old only wish there had been video cameras around to record his brilliance.Lovely lad,heart of gold and sadly passed on about a year back.Dannys spinning needed  to be seen to be believed and then it required a double take to make sure you werent dreaming,Will go down in legend as the bloke who won the moped when he won the dancing competition at Wigan second anniversary I do believe.Danny you were a real diamond always smiling with time for people even when and going through as you did many many years of severely painful crippling illness peace to you mate the way you dealt with your illness,how you  managed to stay as cheerfull as you did  with the time you always had for others was inspirational to many around you.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!