Solid Hit Soul 3-12-10

Rbman

It was cold outside but it was very hot in the Shooting Star last night. Numbers were down due to the weather but those who braved the icy roads were treated to what SHS do every time......uptempo rare and underplayed 60s northern soui and RnB. More than half there must have been in their 20s.....

Great sets from all the DJs.

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well well well....what a surprise. I knew that a lot of our regulars were going to be missing as train services to & from Kent, Sussex & Surrey had been shut down because of snow , ice & stray leaves.

With problems all over the South East & some who wouldn't leave their seat in front of the fire :D I was prepared for a very very quiet night and that was the way it looked until about 9.30 when signs of life was spotted in the Shooting Star. Gradually it started to fill up but dance floor action was minimal, I think people were actually thawing out but soon a couple took to the floor & then a few more & that was how it stayed for the rest of the night & the last 2 & a half hours the floor was heaving. (Even Taff was stomping away!!!!!) Once again a lot of youngsters were on the floor as Martin mentioned & whereas at the previous SHS one or two had been dancing with drinks in their hand, this time with notices on the walls & the quick education :D by one or two regulars, the guilty quickly apologised & problem solved :thumbsup: Mind you I think that Basher was on patrol !

Big thanks to Solid Hits Super Sub Jon Downs for kicking the night off with a fantastic set & to Des & Shane for putting in the effort to beat the snow etc & not forgetting all the way from Ramsgate big Mark who does the equipment & also stops drunken suits getting in, Unfortunately Stuart & Sharnya used the old excuse that Guernsey & Gatwick airports were closed to avoid turning up ohmy.gif:D lol you were missed mate :yes:

Numbers were down but we still had over 70 in & a big thanks to everyone who made the effort & proved my doom & gloom forecast spectacularly wrong :thumbsup: . Great to see Paul & Pat down from Wolverhampton yet again, Kev & Phil from Bedford (Never miss!) & of course the enthusiastic Digging Dave over from Belgium. Nice to see you not suffering from "tiredness" this time Dave :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for your fantastic support over the last year, you really are appreciated.

No thanks to the "lady" who turned up at 8 & left about 9.30 critisising those who were there & calling them (& me I guess) ANORAKS :D I thought she meant because a few people were looking through Des & DDaves record sales but no it was the clothes they were wearing !!!!!!!! They're not soulies she told me they're anoraks, I actually thought she was joking & was leaving because she didn't like the music (she'd been droning on about Mr M's zzzzzzz) but she said the musics OK but it's the clothes they're wearing, they're not like soulies I know. So just in case she comes back in February could everybody bring a pair of baggies & a vest with lots of nice badges advertising clubs that you've never been to. She flounced out with the hurtful parting shot of "I'm going to Clerkenwell for some action".............Clerkenwell, I hope that you had your baggies on!

Have a great Christmas everyone & see you 18th February 2011 :thumbup:

Dave

Well Dave, I was only going to make the last hour or so due to Xmas party duties, but the weather put paid to both the party and a brief SHS visit. Hopefully Feb will be more clement!

No probs Paul, I had no trains & had to go to work on the bus weighed down by record box & large overstuffed bag with bits & pieces as we didn't even know until friday morning whether Mark could get through with the equipment, so I had to bring bits with me in case we had to hire equip. at the last minute. Not a great journey :( & certainly wouldn't expect anyone to make the journey with no trains not knowing if they could get home afterwards.

See you in Feb if not before :thumbsup:

Had all intentions of showing my face but managed to get a cancellation appointment for the operation on the "leg" for Friday, so took it. Now hopefully will go into 2011 with 2 good legs...................fingers crossed :thumbsup: .

See you all in the New Year if I don't see you before.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie

Enjoyed the night as usual.

Not a big fan of R&B but some excellent tunes knocked out by Jon Downes in particular.

Well done Dave, set the weekend off very nicely and good to see so many young kids.

Dave

Oh and very nice to meet 'young' Diggin' Dave - excellent tunes

Edited by DaveKD

Gradually it started to fill up but dance floor action was minimal, I think people were actually thawing out but soon a couple took to the floor & then a few more & that was how it stayed for the rest of the night & the last 2 & a half hours the floor was heaving. (Even Taff was stomping away!!!!!) :D

Dave

Dave, a cracking night with some top tunes indeed :ohmy: I've been on the iron lung ever since.

What was the apparent problem with the weather ? That was like a balmy August day back in north Wales.

We'd been for a picnic earlier so unfortunately missed Jon D's set, good to catch up with Martin, Pete and a very festive Liz who I seem to recall trying to show me something on her finger :ohmy: It's just sooooo dark down there though thumbsup.gif Congrats !:D

Taff

Edited by Saxafone

Enjoyed the night as usual.

Not a big fan of R&B but some excellent tunes knocked out by Jon Downes in particular.

Well done Dave, set the weekend off very nicely and good to see so many young kids.

Dave

Oh and very nice to meet 'young' Diggin' Dave - excellent tunes

Good to see the Walls of Heartache boys down as usual :ohmy: Not a great lover of too much R&B myself Dave but have to say I didn't think Jon played that much ? Mind you I was still hurting from being called an "anorak" so possibly wasn't paying attention :D But have to say loads of top Northern played through the night, there must have been to get Taff on the floor :ohmy:laugh.gif

Good to see the Walls of Heartache boys down as usual :ohmy: Not a great lover of too much R&B myself Dave but have to say I didn't think Jon played that much ? Mind you I was still hurting from being called an "anorak" so possibly wasn't paying attention :D But have to say loads of top Northern played through the night, there must have been to get Taff on the floor ohmy.gif:D

You're right Dave, think I finished off my set with just a few R&B tunes, Sugar Boy Williams, King Coleman, Larry Davis and Little Oscar off the top of my head..which seemed to kick start the dancefloor a bit! Twas a great night indeed and looking forward to the next one :ohmy:

cheers

Jon

Good to see the Walls of Heartache boys down as usual :thumbsup: Not a great lover of too much R&B myself Dave but have to say I didn't think Jon played that much ? Mind you I was still hurting from being called an "anorak" so possibly wasn't paying attention :yes: But have to say loads of top Northern played through the night, there must have been to get Taff on the floor :no::D

Dave/Jon my post didnt read quite right - I was praising the R&B that was played by Jon as being top draw stuff, even to a layman like me. As usual the night was a good balance, with excellent tunes played by all!

Dave/Jon my post didnt read quite right - I was praising the R&B that was played by Jon as being top draw stuff, even to a layman like me. As usual the night was a good balance, with excellent tunes played by all!

Sorry Dave I should have known better seeing as you always sing the praises of Solid Hit :no:

Hi Dave - your post looked fine to me! thanks for the comments, I aim to please!!

atb

Jon

Good call Dave....I think the balance of tunes was spot on......Jon's set was outstanding as always......

Guest DaveSwift

Hi Dave

Shame missed again - train people said they were winding up around 9 - could probably have got a night bus back but difficult to know for sure.

See you next one

Cheers

Dave