Adlib Soul Club - Lincoln Sat 4Th Dec

IT WAS OUR FIRST VISIT TO THE ADLIB & WHAT A CRACKING NIGHT WE HAD.

A WARM FRIENDLY WELCOME FROM PROMOTER GLENN GREETED US AT THIS OLDE WORLD CELLAR CLUB. THE VENUE WAS JUST LIKE THE OLD CLUBS BACK IN THE 'GOOD OLD DAYS' WHEN I FIRST GOT INTO THE MUSIC.

THE MUSIC WAS A GREAT MIX OF RnB, EARLY SOUL & SKA - SOME OF THE 'FORGOTTEN' SOUNDS GREAT TO HEAR AGAIN & LOTS NEW TO MY EARS MADE IT AN INTERESTING NIGHT.

DESPITE THE WEATHER, THERE WAS A GOOD CROWD IN & THE DANCE FLOOR WAS KEPT BUSY BY THE RESIDENT DJs & GUEST FOR THE NIGHT MICK CASEY - WELL DONE ALL :thumbsup:

IF YOU WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING DIFFERENT - WITH MUSIC FROM THE ROOTS OF THE SCENE THEN I RECOMMEND YOU GIVE THE ADLIB A TRY. :)

WELL DONE ALL - WE WILL BE BACK IN 2011.

PETE

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest adlibsoul

With the weather of the last week being so bad in Lincoln we could have cancelled this night.We decided to go ahead with it as all tickets had been sold and some folks had pre-booked rooms.We were also getting a lot of feedback from local people asking if there were any cancelled tickets that could be taken up on the night.In the end we were delighted that folks from Doncaster,Peterborough,Brigg,Newark,Sheffield and Grantham still made the journey to our little club.Most appreciated by all the Ad-Lib crew-thanks.These stalwarts of the scene were joined by various local people on their first visit to us.It makes a refreshing change to be approached by young mods experiencing the original music that gave birth to the all-nighter scene.Some of these guys are band members who play out freakbeat/garage and they told me they were blown away by the different sounds on the night. All said they are coming to the March night.All in all i would say by the end of the night we weren't that far off capacity.The record bar was heaving and the sound-system room full for most of the night.One hiccup was that 2 of the 3 barstaff didn't turn up but the Manageress-Liz-soldiered on alone until she got help at 9.30.She was also let down on a real ale delivery by the brewery and had to buy in various bottles of real ale.I hope this didn't cause too much of a problem to anyone.Ithink i got to speak to more people than i usually do and i must say these people all gave the night a big thumbs up.Hopefully folk who came to the night will add their comments to the thread.It's an open forum so honest opinions-positive or negative-are welcome if they are constructive.

I would like to especially thank Mick Casey who not only did the "for the "craic" of it spot but joined our own Allan Swires in a spot of double-decking as one of our djs was snowed in.

I will leave it to others to describe the music ,atmosphere and general feel of the night. Thanks to everyone again and hope you'll join us again in March. Glenn

Guest adlibsoul

IT WAS OUR FIRST VISIT TO THE ADLIB & WHAT A CRACKING NIGHT WE HAD.

A WARM FRIENDLY WELCOME FROM PROMOTER GLENN GREETED US AT THIS OLDE WORLD CELLAR CLUB. THE VENUE WAS JUST LIKE THE OLD CLUBS BACK IN THE 'GOOD OLD DAYS' WHEN I FIRST GOT INTO THE MUSIC.

THE MUSIC WAS A GREAT MIX OF RnB, EARLY SOUL & SKA - SOME OF THE 'FORGOTTEN' SOUNDS GREAT TO HEAR AGAIN & LOTS NEW TO MY EARS MADE IT AN INTERESTING NIGHT.

DESPITE THE WEATHER, THERE WAS A GOOD CROWD IN & THE DANCE FLOOR WAS KEPT BUSY BY THE RESIDENT DJs & GUEST FOR THE NIGHT MICK CASEY - WELL DONE ALL :thumbsup:

IF YOU WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING DIFFERENT - WITH MUSIC FROM THE ROOTS OF THE SCENE THEN I RECOMMEND YOU GIVE THE ADLIB A TRY. :thumbup:

WELL DONE ALL - WE WILL BE BACK IN 2011.

PETE

Really pleased you enjoyed it Pete. The only way a club like ours can keep going forward is to hear the considered opinions of regular soul/r&b travelling fans .ps hope Mick Casey didn't want paying !!!!

Glenn

Sorry I didnt make it last night but did have other plans originally as was supposed to be DJing at the Rhythm Shack in St Helens as you knew

Ended up being snowed in with 3 feet of snow, spent 5 hours digging the cars out and was that knackered I went to bed !!!!!!

Defo be there for the next one in March, make sure you save me a couple of tickets

Great to hear it was a cracking night but I already knew it would be !!

See ya soon

ATB

Steve

WOW! WHAT A FANTASTIC NIGHT WE HAD FROM START TO FINISH, IT WAS WELL WORTH THE TRIP FROM WEST YORKS VIA DONCASTER FOR OUR 1ST TRIP TO AD-LIB. THIS IS DEFINITELY NOW ON THE 'MUST ATTEND VENUE' LIST! :thumbup:

AFTER HEARING GREAT REPORTS ABOUT THIS PLACE FROM MR LAKIN, I KNEW WE WOULD BE IN FOR A GREAT NIGHT BUT YOU NEED TO ACTUALLY GET YOURSELF ALONG TO APPRECIATE ALL THIS PLACE HAS TO OFFER ATMOPSHERIC OLD CELLAR BAR, FRIENDLY CROWD UP FOR HAVING A GREAT TIME, INTERESTING SOUL, R&B & SKA SOUNDS FROM 50'S & 60'S PLUS A GREAT RECORD BAR. LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THE NIGHT FROM WALKING IN AND RECEIVING A WARM WELCOME FROM THE PROMOTER, GLENN & HEARING THE 1ST TRACK OF THE NIGHT PLAYED RIGHT THROUGH TO THE LAST TRACK PLAYED. :thumbup:

ALL DJS PLAYED FANTASTIC SPOTS & THE CHOICE OF MUSIC WAS SPOT ON & QUALITY ALL NIGHT. A BREATH OF FRESH AIR TO HEAR PLENTY OF TUNES NEW TO MY EARS - LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING SOME PLAYLISTS. :thumbsup:

THANKS TO JOE, LINDA AND MICK FOR THE GREAT COMPANY & TO 'MR BIG MAN' HIMSELF :thumbsup: , MICK, FOR THE LIFT & FOR THE EXCELLENT GUEST DJ SPOT. :thumbsup:

WELL DONE AD-LIB PROMOTERS & DJS THIS PLACE CERTAINLY DELIVERS WHAT IT ADVERTISES - "BACK TO THE ROOTS "50'S/60'S" IN ATMOSPHERIC SURROUNDINGS. :lol:

AV biggrin.gif

Edited by LittleAv

Well, here we are again reminiscing on another memorable night at one of the best R&B clubs in the country. It's not for me, to say, there is non other to beat it, but I think, if you take into consideration all that the Ad-Lib Club offers you'd be struggling.

The music is exactly what the punters want. An eclectic mix of R&B, Doo Wop, Reggae, Club Soul, Ska and other bits that set the feet tapping and the dance floor buzzing.

In terms of the snow that fell recently, it was 2-3 feet deep in Sheffield, Dinnington, Worksop, Bircotes, Rossington, Tickhill and the surrounding villages. Some areas where lucky to have only 1-2 feet of snow. To all those that managed to make the brave journey down to the Ad-Lid from the North, well done and good for you. I know that for some just getting off the driveway was like navigating the last two miles to the North Pole. I have done so much snow shifting in preparation for the Ad-Lib, I didn't have a muscle left to dance with.

For those that didn't make it, I hope the photo's don't make you too envious. I'm sure you will all be at the Ad-Lib the next time it's door open. Remember not to tell too many people, how fantastic the Ad-Lib club is until you have got your ticket. Priorty tickets from adlibsoul@yahoo.co.uk or Glenn on 07989 717 043

A big thank you to Joe Lakin, for holding the fort in the record bar while I did my first double decking session with Allan (Squires). Thanks to "Av" for taking some of the photo shots. Thank you to Glenn and his brother for the hard work which I'm sure went into preparing another great night. A big thank you to the Liz the manageress who let Allan & I play a few extra records before she threw us off the decks at 25 minuets past the hour on the 5th Dec.

Enjoy the photos:

Well, here we are again reminiscing on another memorable night at one of the best R&B clubs in the country. It's not for me, to say, there is non other to beat it, but I think, if you take into consideration all that the Ad-Lib Club offers you'd be struggling to find a better R&B club.

The music is exactly what the punters want. An eclectic mix of R&B, Doo Wop, Reggae, Club Soul, Ska and other bits that set the feet tapping and the dance floor buzzing.

In terms of the snow that fell recently, it was 2-3 feet deep in Sheffield, Dinnington, Worksop, Bircotes, Rossington, Tickhill and the surrounding villages. Some areas where lucky to have only 1-2 feet of snow. To all those that managed to make the brave journey down to the Ad-Lid from the North, well done and good for you. I know that for some just getting off the driveway was like navigating the last two miles to the North Pole. I have done so much snow shifting in preparation for the Ad-Lib, I didn't have a muscle left to dance with.

For those that didn't make it, I hope the photo's don't make you too envious. I'm sure you will all be at the Ad-Lib the next time it's door open. Remember not to tell too many people, how fantastic the Ad-Lib club is until you have got your ticket. Priorty tickets from adlibsoul@yahoo.co.uk or Glenn on 07989 717 043

A big thank you to Joe Lakin, for holding the fort in the record bar while I did my first double decking session with Allan (Squires). Thanks to "Av" for taking some of the photo shots. Thank you to Glenn and his brother for the hard work which I'm sure went into preparing another great night. A big thank you to the Liz the manageress who let Allan & I play a few extra records before she threw us off the decks at 25 minuets past the hour on the 5th Dec.

Mick Casey (Heartandsoul)

Tickhill

Enjoy the photos:

post-6333-0-78470500-1291586380_thumb.jppost-6333-0-42688600-1291586418_thumb.jppost-6333-0-77745600-1291586409_thumb.jppost-6333-0-31409900-1291586401_thumb.jppost-6333-0-71589700-1291586388_thumb.jp

Edited by Heartandsoul
Guest adlibsoul

Thanks for all your positive comments about the night. Nice to meet you LittleAv and thanks for making such a long and dangerous journey for a few hours into the unknown territory of our Lincoln club.Thanks also to Joe who was "risking" his reputation by bigging us up to you all.So pleased we didn't disappoint.Big thanks to Mick Casey again not just for the photos (and their excellent presentation on this site) but also for his kind words.Max Clifford had better watch out or he'll be out of a job !!!Regarding the photos the saying is the eyes never lie.and that they are the windows to the soul- These eyes are all showing some very,very happy souls !!Also like to thank Dekka for his kind comments-next time he picks up the cab fare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hope to see you all again soon Glenn

Guest adlibsoul

Hi Steve you would have loved the djs sets on this one. Spring will be here before we know it. Just keep us in your diary and we will do it all again on the 19th March . Glenn

Glenn

Sorry I didnt make it last night but did have other plans originally as was supposed to be DJing at the Rhythm Shack in St Helens as you knew

Ended up being snowed in with 3 feet of snow, spent 5 hours digging the cars out and was that knackered I went to bed !!!!!!

Defo be there for the next one in March, make sure you save me a couple of tickets

Great to hear it was a cracking night but I already knew it would be !!

See ya soon

ATB

Steve

Edited by adlibsoul

Hi Glenn

As you say I was invited to do a half hour spot in the "Up for the craic of it" session.

Little did I know that, John Paul Leasing was stuck in the snow like so many other unfortunate victims. That was a blessing to me as I I'm always up for the craic, being Irish of course. It's a good job I was able to pull a few extra records from my record sales boxes. Before anyone asks, no they are not for sale as I think they went down rather well. Competing with Allan's, Ska records by matching them with a few Doo Wop tracks certainly livened the dance floor up. When I saw Liz (Manageress) run on to the dance floor I thought she was about to strut her stuff. Little did I know that "I'm A Big Man" was about to come to an abrupt end. No hard feelings Liz. We all had a fun time. The absence of the microphone meant less talking more records played and consequently more dancing. The double decking system and previous half hour slots allows variety and appears to suit the styles of music played. There was certainly a wide variety of music played and I think that everyone heard someting they liked.

My playlist on the night:

Double Decking - Set One, 20.45-21.30

Hook, Line & Sinker - Lynne Hope Orchestra, Fats Witherspoon (Vocal) - Hijaz, 3858A

You're Too Much - Betty & Ray - Rendezvous Records - R-189-2

I've Got A Song - Joe Tex - Michelle - MX-934 (64-1179)

She's A Trouble Maker - The Majors - Imperial - IM 5285

It's Aw'rite - Rufus Thomas - Stax - S-126

Please Tell me I'm Yours - Fay Simmons - Senca - 122

Hard Forgetting Memories - Mary Johnson - Federal - 45-12506

You Just Cheat And Lie - Z.Z. Hill - K 45x469

Treasured Memories - O.V. Wright - Back Beat - 583

Double Decking - Set Two, 23.45-00.25 and 30 seconds

Yesterday's Kisses - Big Maybelle - Scepter Records - 1288-B

Shine It On - Veron Garrett - Kent - K 45x459

They Don't Know - The "5" Royales - Vee Jay, DJ Copy- VG412. (Also available on Home of the Blues - HB 2561)

What kind Of Love Is This - Johnny Nash - RCA Victor (Groove) - 58-0021

I've Got A Feelin' - Big Maybelle - Epic (EP), Track 2, Side 1 - EG 7071 - ZEP 32662

Tear For Tear - Gene "Duke Of Earl" Chandler - Vee Jay, DJ Copy - 62-2617

Unchain My Heart - Ray Charles - ABC Paramount - 45-10266

It's Your Voodoo Working - Charles Sheffield - Ichiban Records - CS-007A

Look At The Girl - Otis Redding - ATCO Records, DJ Copy - 45-6723

Mister Bang Bang Man - Little Hank - Monument - MON 1045

Soft Walkin' - Freddie Houston - TOTO - 101-A - 45-111

I'm A Big Man - Big Daddy Rogers - MIDAS - 9006

"Up For The Craic Of It" - Definition:

Craic is a Gaelic word with no exact English translation. The closest you get is "fun." There's the expression "ceoil agus craic," meaning "music and fun," probably once used by locals to fortify themselves before heading off over an arduous mountain pass to the nearest ceili.

Mick Casey (Heartandsoul)

Tickhill

Guest adlibsoul

HERE IS A SELECTION OF TRACKS PLAYED BY DIFFERENT FOLKS ON THE NIGHT.

Jackie Edwards-Sea cruise

Ray Agee-The wobble-oo

Betty Everett-Tell me darling

Moss Tolbert-Money in my pocket

Jessie Mae-Dont freeze on me

Dee Dee Sharp-Lets twine

Lula Reed-Puddentane

Shorty Long-Black coffee

LaCharles McCoy-Lets talk it over

Lou Cazz-The walk

Drifters-Drip drop

Derrick Morgan-Fat man

Byron Lee-Watermelon Man ska

Little Joyce-Oh daddy

Slim Harpo-Little queen bee

Guest adlibsoul

Some tracks i remember from Christian Scott and Neil Firths double-decking set.

John Lee Hooker i'm leaving

Louise Brown - Son in Law

Russel Byrd - Hitch-Hike

Megatone - Shimmy Shimmy

Nice mod flavour there