Sussex Soul Club 4Th Dec

well the xmas edition of sussex soul club has come and gone and for whatever reason numbers were low and not

even the inclusion of barry cooper of A1 soul and pilsley soul club could swell the numbers...due to awful conditions

during the week paddy rozier had informed graham of his inabilty to attend so after seing the cancelation of his

own event barry said yes to the offer of a spot at the scout hut...after hurridly loading his toons into the car it

was down the A1 and straight to my house for refreshments and then another hour and a half journey to patching in sussex

upon arriving at the venue..a little late i may add due to flooded roads and driving rain we found paddy had made it out

of his drive and was finnishing of his set...upon arriving we noticed a handful of cars were already in the car park which

by now was completely free of snow and ice...after a warm welcome from graham and christie we were informed that a full

roast dinner had been provided for both myself and barry..a nice touch guys but after eating ham egg and chips at mine

it was gonna have to wait a while...with an extra dj now on board the sets were cut down to a straight hour rather then the

usual format of an early 30 minute set and a later 45 minute spot...barry took to the decks at 9.30 and produced an excellent

set of 7ts and modern tunes with a cpl of classics thrown into the mix...the ppl that had bothered to turn up were given a

real treat.....an hour soon comes and goes and dave morris from the uni soul nights in b/mouth was next up playing a real

nice mix of tunes and showed my why im so looking fwd to his event on the 18th dec....i took over at 11.30 and once again played

an across the board mix of tunes including 6ts,7ts,modern,and rnb plus 3 motown tracks

big thanks to barry for agreeing at such short notice to driving well over 150 miles to attend our event...we can only apologise

for the low turnout but once again it was those that stayed away that were the losers...there so many ppl moaning that

they never hear different tunes but when its provided they stay away

also like to thank kev and julie for the buffet they provided free of charge for everyone...unfortunately i was unable to

eat much of it due to eating my roast dinner at around 10pm and with kev trying to get me to eat barrys meal i was full to

bursting...always nice to see keith and maxine woon and dave and viv plus linda seddon

thanks to those that did manage to attend and to all those that didnt make it..you definately missed out...again

regards moldie

a few tunes i played

randy brown...always in the mood

randy brown...looking for the real thing

donald jenkins...somebody help me

jimmy helms...romeo and juliet

michael wycoff...lookin up to you

crystals...i got a man

david ruffin...rode by the place

dynamic superiors...one nighter

cheryl lynn...sweet kind of life

incognito...we got music

felicia adams...no one else

PS...MESSAGE FOR BARRY COOPER FROM CAROL....I WISH ALL MICK MATES WERE LIKE YOU....SORRY I CALLED YOU BRIAN...IT WAS VERY EARLY

• Replies 7
  • Views 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

well the xmas edition of sussex soul club has come and gone and for whatever reason numbers were low and not

even the inclusion of barry cooper of A1 soul and pilsley soul club could swell the numbers...due to awful conditions

during the week paddy rozier had informed graham of his inabilty to attend so after seing the cancelation of his

own event barry said yes to the offer of a spot at the scout hut...after hurridly loading his toons into the car it

was down the A1 and straight to my house for refreshments and then another hour and a half journey to patching in sussex

upon arriving at the venue..a little late i may add due to flooded roads and driving rain we found paddy had made it out

of his drive and was finnishing of his set...upon arriving we noticed a handful of cars were already in the car park which

by now was completely free of snow and ice...after a warm welcome from graham and christie we were informed that a full

roast dinner had been provided for both myself and barry..a nice touch guys but after eating ham egg and chips at mine

it was gonna have to wait a while...with an extra dj now on board the sets were cut down to a straight hour rather then the

usual format of an early 30 minute set and a later 45 minute spot...barry took to the decks at 9.30 and produced an excellent

set of 7ts and modern tunes with a cpl of classics thrown into the mix...the ppl that had bothered to turn up were given a

real treat.....an hour soon comes and goes and dave morris from the uni soul nights in b/mouth was next up playing a real

nice mix of tunes and showed my why im so looking fwd to his event on the 18th dec....i took over at 11.30 and once again played

an across the board mix of tunes including 6ts,7ts,modern,and rnb plus 3 motown tracks

big thanks to barry for agreeing at such short notice to driving well over 150 miles to attend our event...we can only apologise

for the low turnout but once again it was those that stayed away that were the losers...there so many ppl moaning that

they never hear different tunes but when its provided they stay away

also like to thank kev and julie for the buffet they provided free of charge for everyone...unfortunately i was unable to

eat much of it due to eating my roast dinner at around 10pm and with kev trying to get me to eat barrys meal i was full to

bursting...always nice to see keith and maxine woon and dave and viv plus linda seddon

thanks to those that did manage to attend and to all those that didnt make it..you definately missed out...again

regards moldie

PS...MESSAGE FOR BARRY COOPER FROM CAROL....I WISH ALL MICK MATES WERE LIKE YOU....SORRY I CALLED YOU BRIAN...IT WAS VERY EARLY

Made me laugh Moldie when she thought Kev was Stan :D:lol::lol:

Well Can`t add a lot more than Moldie already has :no::no:

Can`t understand the few ppl who were moaning about playing to much modern :thumbsup: but hey ho you can`t plz everyone all the time :no: But thats whats so special about Patchins .....you never know what you gonna hear :yes: and thats why i like it so much :thumbup: I though the music was top notch from everyone :thumbsup: but i must admit I did love barry`s set thumbsup.gif thanx barry for Black Box :D and you moldie for Dynamic Superiors :D

Well like i said Cracking Night ......numbers very low but hey we can party with ourselves :lol::lol::lol:

See you New Years Day :thumbup: when you have the pleasure of Mr Kev Thomas behind the decks :lol::lol::D now that should be fun :yes::yes:

Julie & Kev

xxxxxx

P.S Don`t forget we are having a Jacobs Join so don`t throw them left overs away :D:lol::lol:

Edited by Julie Moore

After leaving a wet and cold Bournemouth we made the 90 minute journey along the south coast to Patching.

We were greeted on arrival by Graham and entered to hear Paddy spinning some classic tunes.

Think Moldie has summed the evening up and I'm as baffled as to why there's not many get over to this event.

Here's a few tunes which I played throughout my hour spot - 10.30 - 11.30

Vontastics - Never Let Your Love Grow Cold - St.Lawrence

Little Flint - Pain - Beast

Rosco Gordon - Jesse James - Jomada

Shirley & Jessie - You Can't Fight Love - Wand

Dells - Your Song - 20th Century

O'Jays - To Prove I Love You - TSOP

Profiles - I Still Love You - Bamboo

Marvin Smith - Who Will Do Your Running Now - Mayfield

Undisputed Truth - You Got The Love I Need - Gordy

David Ruffin - I Can't Stand The Rain - Motown UK

Kindly Shepherds - Lend Me Your Hand - Checker.

Would like to say a big thank you to Graham for asking me over and look forward to seeing on Dec 18th at The Uni.

Hi Graham,

Sorry mate we could not get to patching sat , blame me, got caught up after the footie celebrating with a few mates after beating palace and by the time Igot in run out of time , sorry the numbers were a bit low

blame the weather and the recession the pound in your pocket etc catch you in jan .

Andy Mot.

After having to cancel Pilsley because of the bad weather in Derbyshire (1st time we have had to cancel in nearly 9 years) then the Forest game called off, there I was gutted & kicking my heels when Moldie rang and suggested I pop down to Sussex, nearly 3 hrs later I was at his house eating the tea had Carol made for me, & very nice it was to, thanks Carol.

Another hour & half later and we arrived at the venue, and as Moldie & others have said numbers were down but hey ho, but lo and behold there was friends Kev & Julie, great to see you two guys, although numbers down it didn't stop us having a great time.

Nice venue, good dance floor, music was across the board, just as its advertised and they played to that policy, great to meet Newman (Graham) who was just finishing his spot and Dave Morris (great spot Dave) and of course Moldie playing another blinder, amazed how much these folks eat down there, after the great dinner provided by Carol, there was further food at the venue including a hot meal, I couldn't manage it so I offered it to Mad Kev.

So thanks to making to all for making me feel welcome, and I'm sure the next one on NewYears Day will be back to the normal numbers.

I played across the board set and these are a few of tunes I played

Four Tops - Where Did You Go

Bunny Sigler - Girl Don't Make Me Wait

Gabin - Into My Soul

Nicholas - Give You Love

Black Box - Fall Into My Love (for Julie)

Norman Hutchins - I Really Love You

Richard Stepp - Caught Up In A Whirlwind (Request for Maxine?)

If you live in this area why not give it a try, I can assure you that you'll have a great night.

Thanks to Carol & Moldie for putting me up for the night, although I nearly fell down the stairs & wrecked their furniture, and dont worry Carol at your age its easy to forget peoples name :no::lol:

Barry

Edited by Guest

Think Moldie has summed the evening up and I'm as baffled as to why there's not many get over to this event.

to be honest dave this isnt the norm...graham and i have gone over the night many times and cant workout the problem...it seems odd that ppl can travel to this event yet the locals dont.....its pretty much the same at farnborough where 75% of the ppl attending have travelled..many a considerable distance

it will be interesting to see the response we get on new yrs day when entrance is free

moldie

After having to cancel Pilsley because of the bad weather in Derbyshire (1st time we have had to cancel in nearly 9 years) then the Forest game called off, there I was gutted & kicking my heels when Moldie rang and suggested I pop down to Sussex, nearly 3 hrs later I was at his house eating the tea had Carol made for me, & very nice it was to, thanks Carol.

Another hour & half later and we arrived at the venue, and as Moldie & others have said numbers were down but hey ho, but lo and behold there was friends Kev & Julie, great to see you two guys, although numbers down it didn't stop us having a great time.

Nice venue, good dance floor, music was across the board, just as its advertised and they played to that policy, great to meet Newman (Graham) who was just finishing his spot and Dave Morris (great spot Dave) and of course Moldie playing another blinder, amazed how much these folks eat down there, after the great dinner provided by Carol, there was further food at the venue including a hot meal, I couldn't manage it so I offered it to Mad Kev.

So thanks to making to all for making me feel welcome, and I'm sure the next one on NewYears Day will be back to the normal numbers.

I played across the board set and these are a few of tunes I played

Four Tops - Where Did You Go

Bunny Sigler - Girl Don't Make Me Wait

Gabin - Into My Soul

Nicholas - Give You Love

Black Box - Fall Into My Love (for Julie)

Norman Hutchins - I Really Love You

Richard Stepp - Caught Up In A Whirlwind (Request for Maxine?)

If you live in this area why not give it a try, I can assure you that you'll have a great night.

Thanks to Carol & Moldie for putting me up for the night, although I nearly fell down the stairs & wrecked their furniture, and dont worry Carol at your age its easy to forget peoples name :no::lol:

Barry

thanks for your review barry..we really liked your set and you are welcome at ours anytime...carols age didnt affect her abilty to remember you were wearing tartan pj bottoms :D:(:lol:

We'll after the miraculous disappearance of the snow over last Friday night we were definitely on for, we thought, another great night at the "Scout Hut," what we hadn't bargained for was the torrential rain, floods and fog that followed Saturday afternoon & evening! May be that accounted for the lack of numbers?... Moldie, Dave & Viv managed to make a 90 minute journey from the west, Barry a considerably longer journey from up north and Paddy & Di a fair trek from the east...

Anyway those that did brave the weather imo were treated to some cracking music, Paddy did a great set, it was a pleasure to meet Barry for the first time and to have him play at ours - I can see why Pilsley has been going for so long having such a quality resident... I can't quite get my head round you coming over the border into Derbyshire though Barry :wave::lol::D Dave Morris another top draw dj with great knowledge and tunes to boot, always does the business and is another who runs a long running great soul night, at the Uni over in Bournemouth. Moldie, his efforts not just for this do but for the whole scene are fantastic and he never fails to deliver behind the decks!

Thanks to everyone who did come along its always nice to see and catch up with friends, Maxine & Keith, Johnny & Jan, Linda, James, Rob & the Brighton crew, Paddy & Di, Kev & Julie - ta for the sandwiches Julie & sorry for making a bit a pig of myself with them :(:D:lol:

We will be back on January 1st it's our second anniversary and admission is free to show our appreciation for the support we've had over the first two years, another top line up behind the decks and with Kev Thomas being one of them you know it's gonna be a party! :(:lol::D