Bournemouth Pier

Guest Dave Mortimore

Guest Dave Mortimore

. I've heard it said before that there are too many soul nights in Bournemouth, but in reality there hasn't been alot going on recently. Consequently, alot of the locals streamed into this venue.

. So many familiar faces, who hadn't been brought together in some time, rendered an initial atmosphere of friends being reunited.

. As you'd expect at this soul night, lots of classics were being played to a relentlessly busy dancefloor.

. From Motown in the vein of Edwin Starr - Agent double O soul, plays with a deep searching feel such as Nolan Porter - If I could only be sure, to mid and uptempo old stompers as in the likes of Tommy Neal - Going to a happening, Lou Pride - I'm comun home in the mornun and Case of Tyme - Manifesto.

. Finding the opportunity to dance was sometimes a problem when a packed dancefloor led a few to take to a carpetted area in front of the decks to find adequate space.

. There were periods of Crossover and Modern Soul courtesy of guest players Bob Povey and Shay, being much to the delight of Geordie Neil and others with similar leanings.

. There were also some light and airy commercial sounds typically as in Archie Bell & The Drells - Where do you go (when the party is over) and The O'jays - I love music, which I found easy on the ear and a reasonable backdrop to conversation.

. Inevitably, a couple of really popular cheesy numbers are always played. So Steve Lyons went through the usual ritual of what some had waited to hear, opening with words akins to, 'People either love or hate this record? But here we go!' And then the opening bars of 'Do I love you' broke across the speakers.

. Steve knows that there are detractors to this type of play and some of the well established soul music from yesteryear that generally gets played at The Pier. Comparisons to Butlins and it's attraction for woman with handbags have been made.

. Steve though is quite thick skinned to this. He knows he could delve into his collection and pull out some obscure plays to keep it interesting for some, as he did with 2 or 3 spins at Bishopstoke when he last appeared there in the summer. But I think he has a simple philosophy of delivering what this venue is renoun for, which in turn has its place in the mosaic of south coast soul nights.

. Judging by the very healthy turn out and the reception from an appreciative crowd, Steve must have been very pleased with the success of the night. This being the perfect prelude to his 50th Birthday Party at The Belvedere Hotel in a couple of weeks time.

Edited by Dave Mortimore
  • Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well said that man ! it does exactly what it say's on the tin . Considering the numbers through the door they must be doing something right , fair play to them .:( Bring on next weekends visit to the kingshall . As they say " variety is the spice of life " :thumbsup:

Guest Dave Mortimore

it must be nice being able to see into the future...its only the 6th and the title says the event is on the 11th

moldie

. Thanks for pointing that out Moldie. I honestly don't know what day it is half of the time, so getting the date right calls for immense concentration.

. My sincere apologies, Morty