Can Anyone Help With Identifying A Track?

Guest Speranza

Guest Speranza

Hi one and all

Am new to the forum, having only just come across it - better late than never!

Thought I'd ask if anyone could help me identify a track from yesteryear. Unfortunately, I only have minimal info on it from memory, so I'll share that here.

1. Mostly an instrumental track aside from one repetitive vocal hook* (sung by female vocals, more than one vocal/person).

2. That vocal hook is "Never gonna give you up, and I'm never gonna let you go..." repeated often. No other lyrics.

3. There's a key change section with a sax solo/break that then returns to the groove normally.

4. Song starts with chords from keyboards/rhodes and the bass line, then the drums bring the backbeat in, and there's the usual electric guitar repeated riff that comes in also with the drums.

5. It's got a 70s, early to mid 80s vibe about it. I'd have heard it during the mid to late 80s.

6. It isn't the infamous Barry White track or other infamous track of the same name by Michael Johnson/Isaac Hayes/various others etc.....

If there's no idea here initially, I'll try recording a version of the groove myself and putting it up for people to hear and possibly identify, but am hoping someone can help out without having to do that?

Any info and suggestions appreciated!

PS I'm assuming that this is the correct sub forum to post such a query...? If not, could a moderator move it please? Many thanks.

Edited by Speranza
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

sounds like:

Hi one and all

Am new to the forum, having only just come across it - better late than never!

Thought I'd ask if anyone could help me identify a track from yesteryear. Unfortunately, I only have minimal info on it from memory, so I'll share that here.

1. Mostly an instrumental track aside from one repetitive vocal hook* (sung by female vocals, more than one vocal/person).

2. That vocal hook is "Never gonna give you up, and I'm never gonna let you go..." repeated often. No other lyrics.

3. There's a key change section with a sax solo/break that then returns to the groove normally.

4. Song starts with chords from keyboards/rhodes and the bass line, then the drums bring the backbeat in, and there's the usual electric guitar repeated riff that comes in also with the drums.

5. It's got a 70s, early to mid 80s vibe about it. I'd have heard it during the mid to late 80s.

6. It isn't the infamous Barry White track or other infamous track of the same name by Michael Johnson/Isaac Hayes/various others etc.....

If there's no idea here initially, I'll try recording a version of the groove myself and putting it up for people to hear and possibly identify, but am hoping someone can help out without having to do that?

Any info and suggestions appreciated!

Social source share

Guest Speranza

Wow, talk about a fast reply....  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, that isn't the track. though - but thanks again for the quick reply. 

I should add that tempo wise it is around the 90/100 bpm mark, almost like a mellow groove.

Social source share

Guest Speranza

Hi Ian, afraid it isn't! Although the track you've indicated by Mystic Merlin was one of the songs that made me become a musician! Weird coincidence that you mention it here? (I'm a saxophonist, and the playing on this track is still phenomenal in terms of intensity and feel, love it!). That said, this track has got the same vibe, just a touch quicker than the one I'm looking for.... I might look into Mystic Merlin to see if they've done anything else that might have slipped through the net....

Thanks again for your helping.

Edited by Speranza
Social source share

Hi Ian, afraid it isn't! Although the track you've indicated by Mystic Merlin was one of the songs that made me become a musician! Weird coincidence that you mention it here? (I'm a saxophonist, and the playing on this track is still phenomenal in terms of intensity and feel, love it!). That said, this track has got the same vibe, just a touch quicker than the one I'm looking for.... I might look into Mystic Merlin to see if they've done anything else that might have slipped through the net....

Thanks again for your helping.

try this video lang: enTranslateView original(Translation disabled)

Social source share

Guest Speranza

try this video lang: enTranslateView original(Translation disabled)

Thanks for trying! Not the track though. I like it however :thumbsup:

I'm amazed at how helpful people are being at this forum. Looks like I'm staying here regardless if I find the answer or not. 

Social source share

Guest Speranza

I've just recorded a little groove of what I've got in my head that it sounded like.... Without the female vocals. Just a rough mix, 30 seconds of the groove etc. If anyone knows what it might be (even if you hate the original!) please let me know....

https://www.mediafire...zpzgfpvzk9v1mtx

(I'm suddenly thinking Alphonse Mouzon for some reason....!?)

Edited by Speranza
Social source share

Guest Speranza

Try this, got an mp3 of it but can't post on here. From a workout album, think it's been discussed on here before. Not mostly intrumental but fits in with what you're saying.

YOU'RE A STAR!!!!!!!  :no:   

My word, it's the track, but I only ever heard the instrumental version. Definitely.... Wow, and it's a soprano sax on the B section in the link you've sent.....I was convinced it was a tenor on the instrumental. 

Can I contact you via message to find out more about it? 

PS A work out video???? My, what WAS I doing in the 80s to have heard this.... (ahem...) 

Many thanks again.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

YOU'RE A STAR!!!!!!! :no:

My word, it's the track, but I only ever heard the instrumental version. Definitely.... Wow, and it's a soprano sax on the B section in the link you've sent.....I was convinced it was a tenor on the instrumental.

Can I contact you via message to find out more about it?

PS A work out video???? My, what WAS I doing in the 80s to have heard this.... (ahem...)

Many thanks again. :thumbsup:

I've found out where i heard it. It's on a friends blog, Alex from Spain. There's some great music on his site. Alex is on here if you need any info about it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexs4r/3438422450/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!