• Replies 29
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest JIM BARRY

bought this as a new release 72 or 73.....it was massive in the manchester clubs, my copy was atlantic.....should have made it chartwisebut there was so much good stuff coming out each week in them days.....atb jim.:lol:

Social source share

easy to get hold of on uk atlantic. a little more trickier on usa atco

dave

There are two demo's of this release one with "Got To Get You Back" on both sides and the other with B-side Love Is Just Around The Corner" on both sides. Go for the issue everytime.

Dave

Social source share

Can you please expand on that comment please Mr.D? biggrin.gif

OK. The group are called 'The Sons Of Robin Stone' so I was wondering who their dad was, i.e. Mr Robin Stone. Who was he? Why did he have so many kids? Did he mind his name being used? Was he proud of his sons? Etc, etc, etc.

So who was Robin Stone is the question I guess................:hatsoff2:

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

So who was Robin Stone is the question I guess................:hatsoff2:

Ian D :lol:

He used to hang around quarry`s late at night to see what he could pilfer!

yes.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

The sons of Robin Stone was from a film yonks ago, maybe a black and white one. Bunny Sigler told the groups manager about the name and he used it. They are not The Detroit Spinners.

Social source share

OK. The group are called 'The Sons Of Robin Stone' so I was wondering who their dad was, i.e. Mr Robin Stone. Who was he? Why did he have so many kids? Did he mind his name being used? Was he proud of his sons? Etc, etc, etc.

So who was Robin Stone is the question I guess................:thumbsup:

Ian D :yes:

Possibly one of these chaps .......

Malc

post-5097-0-43874400-1292100365_thumb.jp

post-5097-0-75250600-1292100375_thumb.jp

Social source share

I still keep in touch with Jimmy Phillips who sang lead on 'Got To Get You Back'.

The single was issued twice on Atco in 1974 because they flipped it over, changing the 'A' side from 'Love Is Just Around The Corner' to 'Got To Get You Back'. I have copies of both and they have the same catalogue number (45-6929).

The two UK Atlantic issues both had 'Got To Get You Back' as the 'A' side but have different catalogue numbers: K 10441and K 10723.

Bunny Sigler named the group after 'Robin Stone', a character from the Jacqueline Susann novel The Love Machine which became a movie in 1971.

At Grapevine / Soul Junction we almost issued a Sons Of Robin Stone album in 2005, featuring the singles and some unissued tracks. I can't remember why it wasn't released but it got past the mastering and sleeve design stage.

I produced a version of 'Got To Get You Back' on G.C. Cameron for Ardent in 1992. It was unreleased and only a few 12" test pressings exist.

Paul

post-3850-0-08111500-1292108223_thumb.jp

Edited by Paul
Social source share

I still keep in touch with Jimmy Phillips who sang lead on 'Got To Get You Back'.

The single was issued twice on Atco in 1974 because they flipped it over, changing the 'A' side from 'Love Is Just Around The Corner' to 'Got To Get You Back'. I have copies of both and they have the same catalogue number (45-6929).

The two UK Atlantic issues both had 'Got To Get You Back' as the 'A' side but have different catalogue numbers: K 10441and K 10723.

Bunny Sigler named the group after 'Robin Stone', a character from the Jacqueline Susann novel The Love Machine which became a movie in 1971.

At Grapevine / Soul Junction we almost issued a Sons Of Robin Stone album in 2005, featuring the singles and some unissued tracks. I can't remember why it wasn't released but it got past the mastering and sleeve design stage.

I produced a version of 'Got To Get You Back' on G.C. Cameron for Ardent in 1992. It was unreleased and only a few 12" test pressings exist.

Paul

post-3850-0-08111500-1292108223_thumb.jp

Great back up information Paul : thank you for posting .

" The Love Machine " was the follow up novel to " Valley Of The Dolls " , and the sequel to the film of the same name .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 5 years later...
On 1/7/2016 at 14:23, Carl Dixon said:

Co - written by Bobby Eli, who will be accompanying The Volcanos at Prestatyn in March. 

LEGEND! His guitar work has graced so many classics.  I hope someone is going to interview him....

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Indeed an interview would be top. Harry Grundy is the man! In fact, let's do some PR on that right now....

I would love to see The Volcanoes sing some of his songs as a tribute, like 'Prove yourself a lady'/James Bounty (real name James Bunting), or a montage of songs he co wrote with Vinnie Barret like GTGYB, Just don't want to be lonely, Sideshow etc.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

1 hour ago, Carl Dixon said:

Indeed an interview would be top. Harry Grundy is the man! In fact, let's do some PR on that right now....

I would love to seeTthe Volcanoes some of his songs as a tribute, like 'Prove yourself a lady'/James Bounty (real name James Bunting), or a montage of songs he co wrote with Vinnie Barret like GTGYB, Just don't want to be lonely, Sideshow etc.

I would love to know if it's him doing all those lovely octave guitar licks on the Phili Int stuff.  And did he play on any of the earlier stuff that G&H did on Neptune and Gamble? Was Dee Dee Sharpe WKOL recorded at Sigma? And did he play on that? And what was the secret of the incredibly atmospheric reverb they used at Sigma that made a snare drum hit sound like a 12 bore shotgun going off?

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Well, I believe the octave Wes Montgomery licks were Norman Harris. Bobby was the wah wah and chinck player, like a muted stroke across the strings. I am sure he played on the Neptune stuff. Indeed I believe he played on 123 by Len Barry. Did you know it was The Tymes singing the male b/v's on 1 2 3? Did you know it was Vince Montana that did that beginning whistle noise on 'One night affair'/The O Jays? Take that octave guitar and put it with the first note of any string figure, the same note and that is a signature Philly sound! Let me ask him....he is a chum on Facebook!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

18 hours ago, Carl Dixon said:

Well, I believe the octave Wes Montgomery licks were Norman Harris. Bobby was the wah wah and chinck player, like a muted stroke across the strings. I am sure he played on the Neptune stuff. Indeed I believe he played on 123 by Len Barry. Did you know it was The Tymes singing the male b/v's on 1 2 3? Did you know it was Vince Montana that did that beginning whistle noise on 'One night affair'/The O Jays? Take that octave guitar and put it with the first note of any string figure, the same note and that is a signature Philly sound! Let me ask him....he is a chum on Facebook!

Nice info thanks Carl - we're defintely on the same page. One Night Affair is a wonderful piece of music and exemplifies everything that's so magical about the Philly/Sigma late sixties output.  That's the reverb I mean - right there on that record.  What a shame it was too common to be played out much - even in 72, it was great value at 10 or 15 pence.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Yep, I got 'One night affair' for 35p circa 1973/4 with a load of other Neptune stuff. 'Gang War', 'Conquer the world together', 'Smoke signals', 'Looky Looky', '(Christmas...) Without the one you love)'.

The echo/reverb was a physical room/Corridor (can't remember what exactly) at Sigma. I guess similarly to the Motown one upstairs. If you listen to some of the Philly Tom Moulton mix instrumentals, you can hear what is going on musically in the studio better that the vocal. The sum of all is the Philly sound, but underneath the guts are Earl Young, Bobby Eli, Norman Harris, Ronnie Baker to get things moving...followed by keys/electric piano and that Hammond B3 I think, which I saw when visiting sigma in 1994 - covered up in the main studio upstairs, where nothing was being recorded. The downstairs studio had a session with Levert in there. Then add the horns/strings/harp/flute etc.

Those early Neptune recordings are very haunting, 'Where do the lonely go' by Bunny Sigler, for example. They had nearly nailed it then...totally moved away from a Motown groove to their own incarnation of TSOP. I think that 'Standing in the Darkness'/The Ethics is the earliest TSOP sounding recording albeit has a 60's song construction, but in essence Philly as it evolved. I could talk forever about it. I am thinking of putting some Octaves on my new song 'A little of the big stuff'. It's that twang you hardly hear on other records of that period.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert