Problems With Royal Mail To The Us?

boba

So I have at least 7 packages that I've ordered from the UK since 11/24/2010 and none have arrived yet. I haven't had other problems with mail, and have gotten all my other packages, including ones from other countries. Two of the pricier items were sent registered. For both of those, if I put in the number into the royal mail website, I get a message like the one below. If I put in the tracking numbers into www.usps.com, one of them just says "origin post is preparing shipment" and the other one doesn't show up at all. I am getting nervous as, at least for the one posted first, it has almost been a month and the websites don't give any meaningful tracking.

Does anyone know if there are currently significant delays in shipping from the UK to the US? Maybe something to do with terror alerts slowing things down? Does anyone have any specific advice for me? As it is, I have no idea whether the packages are even in the US or UK as the UK site says it's in the US and the US site (for one of the packages anyways) says it's in the UK. Thanks in advance.

Your item, posted on 24/11/10 with reference has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Bob

I've no idea what the problem is but I've similar problems with stuff coming the other way this last month. Usually I find packages take from 7 - 21 days coming from the the States to Northern Ireland at the moment I've got 2 that are now at 23 and 26 days since posting. Having said that I've been lucky and have never actually lost a record, I think the longest wait has been 9 weeks but that was 10 years ago at least.

Hope all your packages and mine :sweatingbullets: turn up safely very soon.

Phil

Social source share

I started a very similar thread myself lately. I've had a few packages taking over 3 weeks to get from US to UK.

the post does seem slow just lately and we are possibly about to go into our 2nd spell of bad weather so thingsa might get slow again :sweatingbullets:

i'm just waiting one record now that was posted from japan on 2/12 which is a bit longer than it would usually take,

Social source share

So I have at least 7 packages that I've ordered from the UK since 11/24/2010 and none have arrived yet. I haven't had other problems with mail, and have gotten all my other packages, including ones from other countries. Two of the pricier items were sent registered. For both of those, if I put in the number into the royal mail website, I get a message like the one below. If I put in the tracking numbers into www.usps.com, one of them just says "origin post is preparing shipment" and the other one doesn't show up at all. I am getting nervous as, at least for the one posted first, it has almost been a month and the websites don't give any meaningful tracking.

Does anyone know if there are currently significant delays in shipping from the UK to the US? Maybe something to do with terror alerts slowing things down? Does anyone have any specific advice for me? As it is, I have no idea whether the packages are even in the US or UK as the UK site says it's in the US and the US site (for one of the packages anyways) says it's in the UK. Thanks in advance.

Your item, posted on 24/11/10 with reference has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

It's all gone to shit over here Bob. Nothing's working properly. We're not geared up for ongoing sub zero arctic-like conditions so basically everything grinds to a hault. I think Royal Mail currently has a backlog of 4,000,000 packages from the last big freeze 2 weeks ago and now all the online delivery companies are saying they can't guarantee delivery before Xmas within the UK due to the new big freeze which came in yesterday. I was meant to be in Hull tonight but the roads are just completely f*cked over here so I didn't get any further than 10 miles from my house in 2 hours. Almost pointless going out. All the local shops have run out of milk because people are panic buying. It's a mess.

So things ain't exactly whippersnapper. It could be a while before those packages come through. Patience is a virtue.........

Ian D :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

It's all gone to shit over here Bob. Nothing's working properly. We're not geared up for ongoing sub zero arctic-like conditions so basically everything grinds to a hault. I think Royal Mail currently has a backlog of 4,000,000 packages from the last big freeze 2 weeks ago and now all the online delivery companies are saying they can't guarantee delivery before Xmas within the UK due to the new big freeze which came in yesterday. I was meant to be in Hull tonight but the roads are just completely f*cked over here so I didn't get any further than 10 miles from my house in 2 hours. Almost pointless going out. All the local shops have run out of milk because people are panic buying. It's a mess.

So things ain't exactly whippersnapper. It could be a while before those packages come through. Patience is a virtue.........

Ian D :thumbsup:

ok thanks for the reply. part of the reason I'm worried though is that the royal mail tracking says that the package has been passed to the US (but the US tracking says it hasn't received anything). If you're correct, I guess the royal mail tracking website is wrong. Thanks.

Social source share

same thing happened to me. i am waiting for three packages dating back to 11/22 (from england to california) - none of which have arrived and I cannot get any info from the royal mail tracking numbers. bummer!

this makes me feel better like it's not just me or not just chicago. there are all these cops with dogs at all the subway stops now, I thought maybe it was a terrorism alert related thing in chicago. maybe the royal mail tracking is just useless.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

ok thanks for the reply. part of the reason I'm worried though is that the royal mail tracking says that the package has been passed to the US (but the US tracking says it hasn't received anything). If you're correct, I guess the royal mail tracking website is wrong. Thanks.

Bob,

There are two different types of tracked airmail, "International Signed For" and "Airsure"

Airsure is tracked all the way to it's destination but does not require a signature.

International Signed For requires a signature of receipt but is only tracked until it leaves this country.

International Signed For may explain why the tracking number only states that it has passed to the US. As it isn't tracked from that point onward is most likely why the US tracking has no knowledge of it.

i may be wrong but that's how it looks to me.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Bob, also found this on Royal Mail site

USA

Start date: 18th November 2010

End date:

Increased security measures delays some mail to USA

In November, the United States Department of Homeland Security increased security measures for items carried on passenger airlines. As a result, mail entering the US from around the world, and including the UK, that would normally be sent via passenger aircraft must now travel by other means, including cargo planes.

The vast majority of items, including letters and Christmas cards, posted prior to the last recommended posting date of 10th December have been and will continue to arrive in the US in time for Christmas. However, these ongoing security issues, combined with the impact of recent severe weather on the movement of mail throughout the UK, are causing delays to some items bound for the US. We're really sorry for these unavoidable delays and are doing everything we can to keep mail moving out of and into the UK.

Since the middle of November and throughout the recent period of weather related service disruption in parts of the UK, we have implemented a number of contingency plans to ensure as much of our customers' mail reaches the US as quickly as possible. In finding alternative, available routes and transportation to the US, it's possible that the delivery pattern of some items may have been interrupted and not all mail will arrive in the sequence in which it was posted. Handling significantly increased volumes of mail at this festive time along with the complexity of reacting at pace to contingency arrangements, means we're unable to track individual items for customers or identify exactly when in the current arrival patterns deliveries are likely to take place.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and are continuing to work to minimise disruption to our customers, whilst ensuring we comply fully with the US directives and regulations.

https://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400033&mediaId=3800088#1600085

Social source share

USA

End date:

In November, the United States Department of Homeland Security increased security measures for items carried on passenger airlines. As a result, mail entering the US from around the world, and including the UK, that would normally be sent via passenger aircraft must now travel by other means, including cargo planes.

The vast majority of items, including letters and Christmas cards, posted prior to the last recommended posting date of 10th December have been and will continue to arrive in the US in time for Christmas. However, these ongoing security issues, combined with the impact of recent severe weather on the movement of mail throughout the UK, are causing delays to some items bound for the US. We're really sorry for these unavoidable delays and are doing everything we can to keep mail moving out of and into the UK.

Since the middle of November and throughout the recent period of weather related service disruption in parts of the UK, we have implemented a number of contingency plans to ensure as much of our customers' mail reaches the US as quickly as possible. In finding alternative, available routes and transportation to the US, it's possible that the delivery pattern of some items may have been interrupted and not all mail will arrive in the sequence in which it was posted. Handling significantly increased volumes of mail at this festive time along with the complexity of reacting at pace to contingency arrangements, means we're unable to track individual items for customers or identify exactly when in the current arrival patterns deliveries are likely to take place.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and are continuing to work to minimise disruption to our customers, whilst ensuring we comply fully with the US directives and regulations.

https://www.royalmail...3800088#1600085

Or the shorter way of putting it is everything's gone to shit, as I said earlier. :thumbsup:

I love the way they insert the line "whilst ensuring we comply fully with the US directives and regulations" as a kind of get-out clause LOL....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Or the shorter way of putting it is everything's gone to shit, as I said earlier. :thumbsup:

I love the way they insert the line "whilst ensuring we comply fully with the US directives and regulations" as a kind of get-out clause LOL....

I'd just love to see that on RM's site.

International Update

"Sorry folks, it's all gone to shit ...... Tough"

:lol:

Social source share

It's not just UK -> USA. I sent a 45 to the States nearly a month ago, via Registered Mail from the Netherlands, and it's still not arrived. Tracing shows it as being in the States but not at distribution.

My first thought was that well, I can understand the USA being a bit cautious about packages coming out of Amsterdam, but why this long a delay? In some respects the increased security measures are reassuring - at least my package isn't just plain and simple 'lost in the post'.

Vinyl aside, presuming these stringent checks are in place for inbound mail packages being sent from the four corners of the globe, this excessive zeal and apparent paranoia must be causing rather widespread disappointment domestically and internationally for the countless families that have sent Xmas packages to loved ones in the States and those in the 'homeland' still waiting to receive them.

Social source share

It's not just UK -> USA. I sent a 45 to the States nearly a month ago, via Registered Mail from the Netherlands, and it's still not arrived. Tracing shows it as being in the States but not at distribution.

My first thought was that well, I can understand the USA being a bit cautious about packages coming out of Amsterdam, but why this long a delay? In some respects the increased security measures are reassuring - at least my package isn't just plain and simple 'lost in the post'.

Vinyl aside, presuming these stringent checks are in place for inbound mail packages being sent from the four corners of the globe, this excessive zeal and apparent paranoia must be causing rather widespread disappointment domestically and internationally for the countless families that have sent Xmas packages to loved ones in the States and those in the 'homeland' still waiting to receive them.

Yep, these Al Qaeda guys are starting to piss me off........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'd just love to see that on RM's site.

International Update

"Sorry folks, it's all gone to shit ...... Tough"

:thumbsup:

Sometimes the truth is unpalatable Arkwright.

When I pointed out to Southern Rail that 'signal failure' no longer cuts it with people like me on a daily basis, they just came clean and admitted that the trains are f*cked for the forseeable future and unlikely to get any better anytime soon.

Fair enough. I took that to my boss last week and got flexi-time as a result. Which is great and long overdue.

Basic infrastructure problems as a result of poor planning and under investment will dog us for the forseeable future. If Royal Mail vans can't deliver mail because the roads are unsafe and postmen can't deliver mail because the pavements are unsafe, then we'll just have to live with slow deliveries by the looks of it.

Can't remember it ever being as bad as this though. Y'know in the days when we got two posts per day whatever the weather.........:lol:

Social source share

The delay in packages was to be expected as soon as they found that bomb on the cargo plane, it meant delays to all mail that wasn't a simple letter. Couple that with the bad weather and the huge increase in volume of mail at this time of year ! It will be weeks before it all gets sorted.

One of the delivery companies was on tv last night saying all their warehouse space was full, so they were storing packages in the lorries, which meant they couldn't deliver anything because they didn't have any spare lorries !!

Boba, your package which the Royal Mail says is in the US, this means the RM have delivered it to the depot that will transport it overseas. As far as they are concerned it is now 'out of the UK'. It's probably still sitting in a warehouse somewhere over here though.

Social source share

The delay in packages was to be expected as soon as they found that bomb on the cargo plane, it meant delays to all mail that wasn't a simple letter. Couple that with the bad weather and the huge increase in volume of mail at this time of year ! It will be weeks before it all gets sorted.

One of the delivery companies was on tv last night saying all their warehouse space was full, so they were storing packages in the lorries, which meant they couldn't deliver anything because they didn't have any spare lorries !!

Boba, your package which the Royal Mail says is in the US, this means the RM have delivered it to the depot that will transport it overseas. As far as they are concerned it is now 'out of the UK'. It's probably still sitting in a warehouse somewhere over here though.

thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. also thanks arkwright for explaining airsure versus what i got, i will try to get airsure in the future.

Social source share

USA

End date:

https://www.royalmail...3800088#1600085

Read This Myself! Just Got Delivery Of A Couple That Have Taken A While!! But The Weather Is Now Stopping This This End. :lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

Most haulage companies have delivered nationwide with the exception of a few days, most notably in Scotland the other week. We lost one day, maybe day and half up there because of that. By the Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday we were travelling as far north as Fraserbrough. I've not lost a days work because of it,(just a few hours sat on your roundabout broken down :thumbsup: nothing to do with the weather). I think the delivery people are to some extent using this weather as an excuse , we have delivered all over the country, from consumer goods to timber and steel. I've collected from several pallet force depots and these are empty, all the goods etc have been delivered or moved on. My brother drives for a food company delivering to all the RDC's of all the major supermarkets and distributors, he's not lost a days work either, maybe the odd delay but everything has been delivered.

Not saying there hasn't been delays and problems but I think the some UK companies, Royal Mail in particular are using this as an excuse, their drivers have a cushy life as it is. Maybe they should sub the work out to some of the haulage companies that can drive in this weather :lol:

Social source share

Having problems myself, I sold a record on here to a fellow member on 22 - 11 - 2010, & It has still to arrive. It was sent by Royal mail International signed for. Also with mail coming from the U.S. to the U.K. there is a delay (not withstanding the weather problems) items also were sent 'U.S.P.S Express' Suppose the only thing to do is to be patient :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Seasons greetings to all. Ricardo.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

just on the airsure subject

what is covered value wise

i thought it wasnt insured for the same ammount

as you can on int sign for

With both International Signed For and Airsure you are only covered for the basic £41 (= 100 x 1st class stamp).

For both services there is an extra £2.50 to pay on top of the basic cost of ISF or Airsure for insurance up to £500

However, considering the above it's a bloody mine field as Paypal insist on a signature for values above £150

FROM ROYAL MAIL SITE

Airsure® costs just £4.90 in addition to the Airmail Letter, Printed Paper or Small Packet postage price for your item. This price includes up to the value of 100 First Class stamps in compensation for loss or damage.

If you are sending valuable items, you can get additional cover of up to £500 for an additional £2.50 on top of the £4.90 Airsure® fee. However, the maximum compensation for cash and money sent via Airsure® is £100. Please note that cash cannot be sent at all to a number of countries - check with Royal Mail Customer Services for more details.

International Signed For¢Å¾¢ is a cost-effective and secure delivery service that requires a signature on delivery. It is available to all worldwide destinations with standard compensation covering up to 100 times the price of the First Class fee (currently £41) or the content value, whichever is lower. There is also the added option of extra compensation of up to £500 (£250 for some destinations) upon request.

FROM PAYPAL SITE

11.9 What is "Proof of Delivery"?

Online documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following:

a. A status of "delivered" (or equivalent) and the date of delivery.

b. The recipient's address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).

c. Signature Confirmation for transactions that total 150 GBP or more (see Foreign Currency Amounts below for amounts in a currency other than Pounds Sterling).

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Having problems myself, I sold a record on here to a fellow member on 22 - 11 - 2010, & It has still to arrive. It was sent by Royal mail International signed for. Also with mail coming from the U.S. to the U.K. there is a delay (not withstanding the weather problems) items also were sent 'U.S.P.S Express' Suppose the only thing to do is to be patient angry.gifangry.gif:thumbsup:

Seasons greetings to all. Ricardo.

Hey Ricardo,thanx for the card,posted yours,has it arrived yet?

,regards,fartpants. laugh.gif

ps I am also waiting for packages from the states and holland,mind you the good lady postperson didn't turn up today,summat to wiv 20 inches of snow ! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!