Jesse James On Lawn 248

Derek Pearson

Jesse James "Falling Star" 2:30 / "I Got Corns" 2:27 (Lawn 248)

Before I start this thread - first have a good look at the label scan, and then answer this simple question "If you were wading through a pile of records and you saw this record would you stop and think 'Ooh dearie me that does look interesting, very interesting indeed". If you didn't, what does that say about you?

post-1224-0-09036600-1292671023_thumb.jp

Pretty certain I found this single at least 10 years ago somewhere on one of my travels up and down the back roads of America. I mention that because since then I've bobbed it on a compilation CD I did for myself in 2005 which I've copied dozens of times for various friends.

Anyway I always kept an eye out for it hoping to quietly locate some more copies to sell on. But my eyes never did see another one.

I recall Mal C. raving over it at the time and as far back as 2006 he posted a thread in the Wants section requesting a copy to purchase. Did anything come of that Mal?

Oh and by the way - hey up Mal long time no speak/email/communicate. Sorry 'bout that.

Seem to think he also posted a thread about this record only recently (like within 6 months or so) but couldn't find a link to it.

Surely I thought Jesse James on Lawn it can't be that hard to locate can it.....?

Yep, you know where this is going don't you.....

So I trawled both price guides* and neither mentioned it; scanned dozens and dozens of online sales lists and drew a blank; Google searched it probably 3-4 times a year, every year and that didn't turn up any positive leads either.

No, I tell a lie, I got my bleeding inbox jammed up with links by the hundred for a bloody record done by Cher.

So I tries my old reliable favourite Captain Ebay - err no.

Surely rock solid Popsike will flag some details up - err nope again.

Undeterred I went through my old magazine files and pulled out an old Lawn label listing.

Aah, then like the proverbial worm on a hook it all started to twist and turn.

There was no mention of a Mister Jesse James on that release number or indeed anywhere in the labels catalogue. Instead Lawn 248 which dates from 1964 was assigned to a group called Dick & The Deamonds. And the 2 songs on their release bore the same titles as the ones recorded by Jesse James.

No big deal, it's straight forward then, it's just a simple label mispress, happens all the time.

So I was curious to hear the versions done by Dick and his gang. A quick check on both Amazon and Napster revealed 4 songs from this group and I tell you what by golly his go at "Falling Star" sounds exactly like our man Jesse's.

So the puzzle is this - is my copy sung by Dick & The Deamonds but simply miss-labelled with Jesse James' name? If so then why credit Jesse James' as writer on both sides? Obvious answer I suppose is maybe he actually did write them?

I needed to see a Lawn 248 copy of this Dick & the Deamonds single. A quick check of it would close that mystery.

But once again Mister Pearson spent another interesting but in the end fruitless search of Google, Ebay, Popsike and anywhere else I could think of.

And that was another couple of hours burnt off my life sat on the computer when I should have been doing jobs a lot higher up the list.

So let's finally get down to the record itself - is it worth your time reading this thread?

Well think Philadelphia 1964. Think slow, real slow. A lone voice pure and controlled tells the story. A sparse backing of occasional trumpet bursts, piano fills and solitary notes from that triangular instrument. He's just another lonely heart in the city. Words like atmospheric and moody, hollow and empty but rich and textured spring to mind.

It's good; actually it's very, very good if you like that sort of sound. I don't think I'd go so far and call it brilliant, though some might argue to differ, but it certainly falls in that category marked most interesting. Welcome to the weird but wonderful world of record collecting.

But would we be discussing it if it wasn't so damn obscure?

You tell me.

Derek

* 2003-2004 editions

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Unable to upload sound clip into Refosoul but purely by chance I was wandering around my Settings box and found this in my 'manage your attachments' section.

I'd previously gone on and on about this record complete with sound clip and label scan way back on 20 June 2006 with a thread titled Mystery Track. Here's the link -

And on re-reading that full thread it answered one or two questions I'd raised on the thread I posted an hour or so earlier. Big Sigh.

Snow arrives. Memory Goes.

derek

Refosoul is still down so as soon as I can I'll upload the track and link it directly into this thread. Ta.

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I recall Mal C. raving over it at the time and as far back as 2006 he posted a thread in the Wants section requesting a copy to purchase. Did anything come of that Mal?

Oh and by the way - hey up Mal long time no speak/email/communicate. Sorry 'bout that.

-----------

Hi Derek, yes a happy ending, got one for something like $35 Usd from Japan soon after, and I've been after the other titled version (Dick & The Deamonds) ever since, never seen one.. and never seen another jesse James either, must be quite rare...

I did some more work on Musette, which was posted on her some months ago, anyhow there has been more since if your doing another Shades..

Mal.Cthumbsup.gif

Social source share

I posted a request up a few years ago for anybody to identify a song with falling star in , as I had it on an old 80's tape and could never find out who it was. Derek identifiied it for me on SS.

A few months later much to my suprise it was listed on ebay being sold out of Kings Lynn ! I think I was the only bidder and got it for about £10.

Just shows these obscure records do come around ; makes you wonder what else these long time dealers have stored away.

Neilb

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!