Little Rena Scott - I Just Can't Forget That Boy

Premium Stuff

Hi all

I'm looking for any information on Little Rena Scott - I Just Can't Forget That Boy please.

Uptempo funky-edged Northern sound - presuming early 70s unsure.gif

Came out on Grand Junction and Black Rock as Little Rena Scott, then on Epic as Rena Scott.

Flip 'Set Me Free'.

All copies seem cheap.

Which came first - Grand Junction or Black Rock?

Anyone know if the various releases are the same mix please?

Is this rated and/or played out?

Any other information appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-09076000-1292674519_thumb.j

post-12286-0-62962300-1292674547_thumb.j

post-12286-0-87063500-1292674609_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest REVILOT

Pretty sure it is in the order of your pics.

Rated and in possession of many collectors / DJs me thinks.

Used to be very common but you don't see it for sale as much.

Still got potential IMHOthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

When she was only 12 she won a contest on a radio station in Detroit and she was one of 10 out of the 500 contestants that was picked to perform at The Fox Theatre in the city. She performed with the "original" Temptations.

She made her first record, which I believe was "I Just Can't Forget That Boy," when she was 15. and signed to Epic when she was 17. She sang with Michael Henderson on "Take Me I'm Yours." and toured as backing singer with Aretha Franklin.

Working on new material I believe.

Edited by REVILOT
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Is this rated and/or played out?

Cheers

Richard

Yes, very highly rated and played out at Move On for the last year or so. Just the kind of hard edged uptempo female soul that's right for now, along with Etta James, Ann Sexton, Betty Wright, Denise Lasalle etc...

Great stuff :thumbsup:

Social source share

So would that make the Epic release a possible re-mix/re-recording of the Grand Junction/Black Rock version maybe?

Cheers

Richard

Just been googling ...

I've been doing this since I was a little girl [since I was 5 or 6]. I started off singing church songs. Nobody paid attention until I was about 12 years old. I joined church and got in the choir. I was in Detroit.

One of my favorite songs to sing was Walk Around Heaven. My first time singing in front of anybody, people in the church went crazy. One of my choir members enrolled me in a major contest - the Motown Revue Shows. This big radio station in Detroit would sponsor at the Fox Theater. I was one of 10 out of the 500 contestants that was picked. It was great. I appeared with the original Temptations. After that point, my mother discovered I could sing and began getting me club gigs around Detroit.

I made my first record when I was 15. I got signed to Epic. I made my second record when I was 17. I kept singing in choir and at school...

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Just been googling ...

I've been doing this since I was a little girl [since I was 5 or 6]. I started off singing church songs. Nobody paid attention until I was about 12 years old. I joined church and got in the choir. I was in Detroit.

One of my favorite songs to sing was Walk Around Heaven. My first time singing in front of anybody, people in the church went crazy. One of my choir members enrolled me in a major contest - the Motown Revue Shows. This big radio station in Detroit would sponsor at the Fox Theater. I was one of 10 out of the 500 contestants that was picked. It was great. I appeared with the original Temptations. After that point, my mother discovered I could sing and began getting me club gigs around Detroit.

I made my first record when I was 15. I got signed to Epic. I made my second record when I was 17. I kept singing in choir and at school...

Cheers

Richard

She's still recording, i've got her as a friend on Facebook.

Social source share

I believe Black Rock came first then, Grand Junction and lastly due to it's local sucess, Epic. Black Rock and Grand Junction were labels that George McGregor had a hand in, several of the Black Rock releases later came out on Grand Junction.

Butch & The Newports, later appeared on GJ as The Gaslights, although in later life Butch was the only member of the original group to survive the later formations of the group, Gaslights, Gaslight.

As for the Rene's record, should get palyed out more, love it.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest REVILOT

So would that make the Epic release a possible re-mix/re-recording of the Grand Junction/Black Rock version maybe?

Cheers

Richard

Sounds much the same to me - it was leased to Epic from Uptight productions but they may well have remixed / titivated the masters.smile.gif

Social source share

Matt Male ... She's still recording, i've got her as a friend on Facebook.

Mark68 ... Rena's latest album 'Take Me Away' is well worth a listen, I will forward on this link to her.

Great stuff thumbsup.gif

Could one of you guys please ask Rena if she remembers which release came first - the Grand Junction or Black Rock?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Great stuff thumbsup.gif

Could one of you guys please ask Rena if she remembers which release came first - the Grand Junction or Black Rock?

Cheers

Richard

Sent her a message, i'll let you know when she replies. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Great stuff :ohmy:

Cheers

Richard

Sure we'll get the answer from the lady herself via Matt or A.N. Other but I'm almost certain it was Black Rock/Grand Junction/Epic, someone asked earlier if they are different versions so I played all three labels one after the other and to this tone deaf git they sound identical :yes:

Social source share

Anyone notice the strong similarity between the bridge in "Forget" and that in Rose Battiste's "Hit and Run"?

Hadn't noticed until you mentioned it - but yes, same lyrics - well spotted! hatsoff2.gif

George McGregor was the writer of 'I Just Can't Forget That Boy' and the co-writer of 'Hit and Run' - so I guess it's OK him re-using the lyrics yes.gif

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I believe Black Rock came first then, Grand Junction and lastly due to it's local sucess, Epic. Black Rock and Grand Junction were labels that George McGregor had a hand in, several of the Black Rock releases later came out on Grand Junction.

Butch & The Newports, later appeared on GJ as The Gaslights, although in later life Butch was the only member of the original group to survive the later formations of the group, Gaslights, Gaslight.

As for the Rene's record, should get palyed out more, love it.

Always loved the stuff coming out of Detroit during this era, so many great tunes, maybe im getting a bit confused but seem to remember being told that Oliver Cheatham was lead vocalist in Gaslight? or is my wibbly wobbly mind playing tricks on me again? laugh.gif

Harry

Social source share

Always loved the stuff coming out of Detroit during this era, so many great tunes, maybe im getting a bit confused but seem to remember being told that Oliver Cheatham was lead vocalist in Gaslight? or is my wibbly wobbly mind playing tricks on me again? laugh.gif

Harry

Hi Harry

Could well be that he was, it rings a bell with me too. It was George McGregor who told me about Butch and the changes in Gaslights/Gaslight. Mind Butch could have stayed with the group through all it's changes, but maybe not as lead singer.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!