Benny Harper

Guest ruffsounds

Guest ruffsounds

How Rare is the Benny Harper track My Prayer on Harper-Soul ??? can't find anything on popsike or other sites other than he looked for an independent label to put it out on and found Harper-Soul, so whats the info on this anyone know.

cheers Ralph

I know it has a uk release on the Grapevine label 2000 series.

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

there was a little spell where there were a good few of these available buyt they all seem to be gone now and it hardly ever gets listed. Can't remember last time i saw one for sale.

I had this a like an idiot sold it for about 500 quid when I needed some fast cash..... :thumbsup:

to be hoinest i'd say 500 would still be about right now as prices seem to have come down a bit compared to 3 or 4 years ago.

a small qty of the batch were very slightly warped NAP.

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Thanks everyone, so quite rare = expensive = great tune hmmm will stick to my grapevine copy unless the lottery numbers drop for me.

cheers everyone Ralph

Social source share

spot on been a long time want, probably £600ish ? and on the rare occasions I have seen it for sale I'm usually penniless :lol: brilliant tune

Phil - seeing as we're friends - tell me when you are have some money and I'll think about selling you mine

Mine's one of the ones with a water damaged label

You can look, touch and play it when you call in to collect me en-route to the next Rugby :thumbsup:

Social source share

Whilst we're with Bernard Harper, here is dare I say a rarer disc from him? I used to give this the occasional spin at the Capitol Soul Club, and reviewed it in Shades of Soul magazine waaaaaaaaay back in October 2000:

Took me a couple of plays to get into this a few years back, but it's definitely one of my favourite discs nowadays. I have been dee jaying with it recently under the guise of "Billy Arnell - The Greatest Story Eever Told", so now you know the truth. A chugging nagging beat, with a simple yet strong sounding production, without the aid of any added brass or strings or kitchen sinks! The chopping lead guitar and swirling organ play the major parts, as Bernard tells his ex that he's over her, "I never thought that I could face you again, after I was so hurt". He's strong as, "now you can even flirt 'cause I've found me a love so strong", and more than that, "it's better than the greatest story ever told". That put her in her place. "I'm not gonna lose it, no matter how good you look to me". Never seen or heard of another copy, but I'm not saying that it's a one off, but it definitely deserves to be more well known and loved. Come and hear it at The Dome!

>>> Disc Reviws <<<

hatsoff2.gif

post-9555-0-39923200-1292761938_thumb.jp

Social source share

Whilst we're with Bernard Harper, here is dare I say a rarer disc from him? I used to give this the occasional spin at the Capitol Soul Club, and reviewed it in Shades of Soul magazine waaaaaaaaay back in October 2000:

Took me a couple of plays to get into this a few years back, but it's definitely one of my favourite discs nowadays. I have been dee jaying with it recently under the guise of "Billy Arnell - The Greatest Story Eever Told", so now you know the truth. A chugging nagging beat, with a simple yet strong sounding production, without the aid of any added brass or strings or kitchen sinks! The chopping lead guitar and swirling organ play the major parts, as Bernard tells his ex that he's over her, "I never thought that I could face you again, after I was so hurt". He's strong as, "now you can even flirt 'cause I've found me a love so strong", and more than that, "it's better than the greatest story ever told". That put her in her place. "I'm not gonna lose it, no matter how good you look to me". Never seen or heard of another copy, but I'm not saying that it's a one off, but it definitely deserves to be more well known and loved. Come and hear it at The Dome!

>>> Disc Reviws <<<

hatsoff2.gif

Any chance of a sound clip Dave :ohmy:

Social source share

Phil - seeing as we're friends - tell me when you are have some money and I'll think about selling you mine

Mine's one of the ones with a water damaged label

You can look, touch and play it when you call in to collect me en-route to the next Rugby :D

Kirsty - seeing as we're friends - can it be really cheap :ohmy:

Thanks I'm defo interested Kirsty PM me what you'd be looking for it but I'd have to have some luck with a few sales first....

And a lift down to Rugby should be no problem I'm going Saturday afternoon but I'm probably there til Monday, we can sort it out nearer the time thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'd say the likelihood of Flynny's Benny Harper being the same guy is extremely remote. The vocal performances are like chalk and cheese.

Don't know how anyone could sell the Harper Soul 45 unless they had a spare. Rare soul simply doesn't come any better for me, as the record has everything (vocal brinkmanship, compelling song, overall urgency and a soaring arrangement), with the exception of good sound quality, which is a real shame. It's only through listening on headphones that you get to fully appreciate the bass playing for example, which is outrageously good. Despite that it's still a phenomenal piece of vinyl and I wish I owned another ten records which are as good as it.

Social source share

Why would anyone think two people named Benny and Bernard, respectively, would be the same person? Surely Benny is "short" for Benjamin or Benedict or maybe even Benson, and Bernard is "long" for Bernie? I'm surprised no one has said Buddy Harper is the same as either of these other 2, just because his first name begins with a "B".

Social source share

I'd say the likelihood of Flynny's Benny Harper being the same guy is extremely remote. The vocal performances are like chalk and cheese.

Don't know how anyone could sell the Harper Soul 45 unless they had a spare. Rare soul simply doesn't come any better for me, as the record has everything (vocal brinkmanship, compelling song, overall urgency and a soaring arrangement), with the exception of good sound quality, which is a real shame. It's only through listening on headphones that you get to fully appreciate the bass playing for example, which is outrageously good. Despite that it's still a phenomenal piece of vinyl and I wish I owned another ten records which are as good as it.

it was a reluctant sale but i've always found if you need the cash very fast sell something good and in demand. And at the time there were copies around at the time so I thought i'd just get another as required..............

I certainly wouldn't put in in my top 10 though.

Social source share

Why would anyone think two people named Benny and Bernard, respectively, would be the same person? Surely Benny is "short" for Benjamin or Benedict or maybe even Benson, and Bernard is "long" for Bernie? I'm surprised no one has said Buddy Harper is the same as either of these other 2, just because his first name begins with a "B".

:yes:

Senior moment!

:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

As good a record as this is, and it is pretty genius, for me it's never really worked in a club which isn't full of 'rare soul connoisseurs' as it's a bit messy and disjointed without the bass holding it all together. What were they thinking on the sound desk when they put together the final mix for pressing :lol:

Although having said that, and my memory may be playing tricks on me here, is there a version out there with different production and the bass audiable, maybe the reissue? :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Love the record myself, but eventually the horrible mix wears on you. Such a pain in the ass to play this record out!lol

I don't know if it's the mix as much as the mastering.

Successive generations of great records were f*cked up by the LH pressing plant: dozens of great Bobby Bland/OV Wright records, through to Soul Bros. Inc., Benny Harper and on to Little Major Williams and so on and so on. All have pressing faults yet remain great 'lost' pieces of art despite the obvious manufacturing shortcomings.

I accept that those shortcomings make the record difficult to play out. That factor has definitely hampered this record in becoming the classic it should be seen as. Ally this to the fact that a quantity turned up and everybody I knew had one (and tried to play it out) and you can see how it now gets glossed over.

I maintain however that seventies independent soul music gets no more creative and intense than this. Benny Harper and the musicians who went into the studio with him that day deserved better. At that moment they truly cooked. With gas.

Home use and a little perseverance in listening intently to what might have been left behind on the master is the key here.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I don't know if it's the mix as much as the mastering.

Successive generations of great records were f*cked up by the LH pressing plant: dozens of great Bobby Bland/OV Wright records, through to Soul Bros. Inc., Benny Harper and on to Little Major Williams and so on and so on. All have pressing faults yet remain great 'lost' pieces of art despite the obvious manufacturing shortcomings.

I accept that those shortcomings make the record difficult to play out. That factor has definitely hampered this record in becoming the classic it should be seen as. Ally this to the fact that a quantity turned up and everybody I knew had one (and tried to play it out) and you can see how it now gets glossed over.

I maintain however that seventies independent soul music gets no more creative and intense than this. Benny Harper and the musicians who went into the studio with him that day deserved better. At that moment they truly cooked. With gas.

Home use and a little perseverance in listening intently to what might have been left behind on the master is the key here.

Good post, G.

Athough I think mastering/mix are probably being used with the same meaning by us all here. Basically, some numpty behind the sound desk cocked it up before it was pressed.

Personally I think, and as Gareth points out it's pretty fair to say this, it has been given plenty of air time by a long list of DJs over the past 7 or 8 years and going by current play lists one or two are still trying to push it, that as a club tune it is a FAIL. And that is why it's not worth much more than £500. In my opinion.

But to the tuned in ear it can be enjoyed as something approaching genius.

Can someone post a soundfile of the reissue? I've got a hunch it might be a different mix/master and if this is the case and the reissue was spun instead of the OG vinyl this tune may get the recognition it deserves...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

An Ian Levine spin from around 2001 .He stuck it on a CD " Sounds Of The Rocket" and it got a few spins there.You might want to try him..... Just listened to it again on youtube where there is a very hissy copy.Still a great uptempo northern soul track and can't see why it should fail in a club and why stuff like this isn't pushed instead of that Dean Barlow rubbish.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Personally i think it`s a great record,i`ve always got a response/had people dancing to it so for me it`s a winner not a flop.Plus it helps my copy is a clean one and plays fine.Will dig it out later and see what all the fuss is about mastering/mix etc :D

Hi Wayne, yes plenty of copies play fine, it's the production that's a bit messy. Also tried this for several years got some reaction, not much. It's a great energy filled one for home though.

Social source share

An Ian Levine spin from around 2001 .He stuck it on a CD " Sounds Of The Rocket" and it got a few spins there.You might want to try him..... Just listened to it again on youtube where there is a very hissy copy.Still a great uptempo northern soul track and can't see why it should fail in a club and why stuff like this isn't pushed instead of that Dean Barlow rubbish.

=======

i still my copy of that cd ,,,inside it said to my best friend mark...next time hed ignore u!! funny indivual is ian levine...fell out with him bigstyle this year on facebook,,,,did play some good stuff at the rocket,,,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!