Willie Walker/willie Bollinger

Guest Brett F

Guest Brett F

Just heard Steve Plumb on Solar saying that these two outstanding tracks are getting a 45' release, brilliant news, guess all the hard work payed off Dean, Tony etc, well done to Sean Hampsey for ramming it down our ears. Question ; when is the release date...i gotta' get this record.

Brett F

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just heard Steve Plumb on Solar saying that these two outstanding tracks are getting a 45' release, brilliant news, guess all the hard work payed off Dean, Tony etc, well done to Sean Hampsey for ramming it down our ears. Question ; when is the release date...i gotta' get this record.

Brett F

in manifesto it says early 2011 .

so hopefully soon

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Spencer Wiggins also --- Phew!

Nice stuff on the show, enjoying it

The Candi Staton is pretty hot also

:lol:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Spencer Wiggins also --- Phew!

Nice stuff on the show, enjoying it

The Candi Staton is pretty hot also

:thumbsup:

Agreed Dave, that boy Plumby played a blinding set of tunes this morning

The quality of some of the stuff coming out on 45 at the moment is breathtaking

Respect to all those that are getting this music out on the good old black stuff

steve

Social source share

Brett F

Me too Brett - been playing the Steppin' Stone CD a lot.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Agreed Dave, that boy Plumby played a blinding set of tunes this morning

The quality of some of the stuff coming out on 45 at the moment is breathtaking

Respect to all those that are getting this music out on the good old black stuff

steve

Spot on Steve - hats off to all the guys making the tunes available for us.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

in manifesto it says early 2011 .

so hopefully soon

It'll actually be the end of January. But that's a definite as the stock is about to arrive in the Ace warehouse, so save your Christmas money and invest wisely in four weeks time!:lol:

Social source share

Well done to everybody concerned in the release of such a fine double sider on vinyl.

My hat is raised to you all.

Must admit William Bollinger's "You Can Lead Your Woman To The Altar"** on Chess 1994 was one of the first real soul, deep soul 45s that made my mouth just drop open when I first heard it 20 odd years ago. I gasped.

That was then and this is now.

And it's still in my all time top 10 deep records of all time.

derek

** Oscar Toney also had a go at the song - albeit at a slighter faster pace - on Bell.

Social source share

Just heard Steve Plumb on Solar saying that these two outstanding tracks are getting a 45' release

Brett F

Has anyone noticed how similar the hook on William Bollinger is to Chuck Jackson 'I don't want to cry' ? (apart from the obvious similarity in the title)

Nobody has mentioned the Ted Taylor played ....... nice record, and the Candi too............

Social source share

It'll actually be the end of January. But that's a definite as the stock is about to arrive in the Ace warehouse, so save your Christmas money and invest wisely in four weeks time!:thumbsup:

make sure there's one of each with my name on Tone xxx

Social source share

Listening to the show it, looks like in 2011 I'm going to be shelling out quite a bit on previously un-released stuff (as I did this year) in addition to the old rusty dusty's and new new-releases. If anyone wants to take pity on me and send them to me for free, it'll be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup::lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

General release end of Jan

So you can be a select few!

Ady

Cheers Ady.... i've said it before but the 1st time i heard this was when Steve posted up the link from his radio show,and it was an instant hit with me.

However, i putt he sound on my mp3 player and listened to it whilst on my jollies ,and it struck me i'd heard it before somewhere???

So much so ,that it really started to annoy me ,i had to find out what it was.:thumbsup:

A scour of my mp3 player and it all became clear :thumbsup:

Not the same ,but very similiar to TYREE DAVIS -IM LEAVING YOU IN JODY'S HANDS ...

Or is it just me :lol:

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

Great to see these two tracks being made available on vinyl and hopefully more to come!

Tony / Ady - I'm also looking forward to this CD at the end of January;

Sweet Inspiration - The Songs Of Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham

Could we have a track listing please?

Kev

Social source share

Brett F

Great call Brett!

I think I told you about the day, almost 12 months ago, when I nearly fell out of the shower as these two tracks rattled through the speakers!

Since then both sides have become staple tunes up at Just Soul and both typify what three things the scene is really all about these days...

...Quality, Quality & Quality!

So, it may seem as if its been a long time coming, but end Jan 2011 is when the 45 hits the streets.

Get ready for what is certainly one of the very best releases in a very long time and demand is bound to be huge.

On the 'Quality' front, I played the Test Pressing up at York last weekend and (strangely) it sounded even better than the CD (which should please the OVO Boys immensely)!

Hats off to the Ace boys, Ady, Tony and Dean for continuuing to deliver the goods.

Fabulous Real Soul Music that deserves all our full support.

Cheers,

:D

Sean

Social source share

Why aren't these tracks made available to the scene in general so that they can be heard out week in week out by the scenes main dj's at some of the main venues? Think Ace/Kent missing out on a great way to promote the records? Apart from the cd I've heard the Willie Bollinger out once, at Just Soul. I don't get the chance to listen to the radio on a Sunday morning either.

Social source share

Why aren't these tracks made available to the scene in general so that they can be heard out week in week out by the scenes main dj's at some of the main venues? Think Ace/Kent missing out on a great way to promote the records? Apart from the cd I've heard the Willie Bollinger out once, at Just Soul. I don't get the chance to listen to the radio on a Sunday morning either.

I don't understand.They've all been available on CD to anyone who wants to buy them since the summer, so they are available to the general scene, and if the scene wants to ignore them because they are on CD, then they have to wait til we can bring them out on 7inch, which is next month.

Social source share

I don't understand.They've all been available on CD to anyone who wants to buy them since the summer, so they are available to the general scene, and if the scene wants to ignore them because they are on CD, then they have to wait til we can bring them out on 7inch, which is next month.

The Candi Staton too?

Certain DJ's had these before the CD's but you rarely heard them. I was talking about this to Ady Pountain at the Wilton that some great promotion is missed out on because the tracks that are due for a 45 release are not available to DJ's who could do a superb promotion job for you.. It would be good for some of the regular all-nighter Dj's to get the chance to play them out. Just a thought :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

They are 'made available to the scene in general' - at least, they are to anyone on 'the scene' who has a CD player. The William Bollinger track has already been available on CD for around half of the year, Anyone who wants to buy a copy and play it out - well, I'm certainly not planning on stopping 'em and I don't think Ady or Dean would be, either. As of this moment, you don't have to go any further than your front room to hear them. And if 'the scene in general' wants to buy 'these tracks' on vinyl - well, they only have to wait another few weeks for plentiful copies of the available-to-one-and-all Kent 45s to come along

The handful of guys who worked these and other tracks for us upfront of release have done a fantastic job in helping to popularise them. I don't think that we could have gotten any better coverage than we've had if we'd sent out a thousand advance copies, rather than the handful of CDrs that we did send out...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Candi Staton too?

We started to circulate a few dubs of the Candi Station because the CD that features it was due to have been released around September of this year. Circumstances largely beyond our control have meant that it's not now going to come out until next Spring at the earliest. Had we known that when we sent out the first couple of dubs, we would have held back on doing so until nearer the release date.

Obviously we can't stop the guys who have it from playing it (who would?) but as far as we're concerned the track is not in 'active promotion' for us, as we don't want it to wear out its welcome before we have a chance to issue it. On anything...

And by the way I'm sorry I repeated a lot of what Dean said in his posting - he was obviously typing at the same time that I was...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Great to see these two tracks being made available on vinyl and hopefully more to come!

Tony / Ady - I'm also looking forward to this CD at the end of January;

Kev

You'll have to wait till after Christmas, Kev - I'm off for the rest of the year now, and I can't remember even half of what Bob Dunham and I put on it!

'S all good, and that's really what you need to know...:D

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

You'll have to wait till after Christmas, Kev - I'm off for the rest of the year now, and I can't remember even half of what Bob Dunham and I put on it!

'S all good, and that's really what you need to know...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tease Tony....I'l be buying it come what may!!

Have a great Christmas!

Kev

Social source share

Really looking forward to that one! :thumbsup:

Just found this tracklisting on a website.

Hope it's correct?

01. Out Of Left Field - Percy Sledge

02. I'm Your Puppet - Dionne Warwick

03. Sweet Inspiration - The Sweet Inspirations

04. A Woman Left Lonely - Charlie Rich

05. I Worship The Ground You Walk On - Etta James

06. I'm Living Good (Version 2) - The Ovations

07. Take Me (Just As I Am) - Solomon Burke

08. Cry Like A Baby - Arthur Alexander

09. It Tears Me Up - Jeanne Newman

10. Slippin' Around - Art Freeman

11. I Met Her In Church - Tony Borders

12. Are You Never Coming Home - Sandy Posey

13. Let It Happen (Alternate Take) - James Carr

14. Everything I Am - The Box Tops

15. Feed The Flame - Ted Taylor

16. Watching The Trains Go By - Tony Joe White

17. In The Same Old Way - Arthur Conley

18. Denver - Ronnie Milsap

19. Dreamer - Patti Labelle & The Bluebelles

20. Good Things Don't Come Easy - Irma Thomas

21. I Need Someone - The Wallace Brothers

22. He Ain't Gonna Do Right - Barbara Lynn

23. Wish You Didn't Have To Go - Tommy Roe

24. Let's Do It Over - Joe Simon

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Really looking forward to that one! :thumbsup:

Just found this tracklisting on a website.

Hope it's correct?

01. Out Of Left Field - Percy Sledge

02. I'm Your Puppet - Dionne Warwick

03. Sweet Inspiration - The Sweet Inspirations

04. A Woman Left Lonely - Charlie Rich

05. I Worship The Ground You Walk On - Etta James

06. I'm Living Good (Version 2) - The Ovations

07. Take Me (Just As I Am) - Solomon Burke

08. Cry Like A Baby - Arthur Alexander

09. It Tears Me Up - Jeanne Newman

10. Slippin' Around - Art Freeman

11. I Met Her In Church - Tony Borders

12. Are You Never Coming Home - Sandy Posey

13. Let It Happen (Alternate Take) - James Carr

14. Everything I Am - The Box Tops

15. Feed The Flame - Ted Taylor

16. Watching The Trains Go By - Tony Joe White

17. In The Same Old Way - Arthur Conley

18. Denver - Ronnie Milsap

19. Dreamer - Patti Labelle & The Bluebelles

20. Good Things Don't Come Easy - Irma Thomas

21. I Need Someone - The Wallace Brothers

22. He Ain't Gonna Do Right - Barbara Lynn

23. Wish You Didn't Have To Go - Tommy Roe

24. Let's Do It Over - Joe Simon

...it certainly is correct! Thanks for doing what I was too lazy to do, Sebastian my friend...:D

Bob Dunham and yrs, trly. are already at work on a follow up volume of 'Penn and Others' which will anthologise songs that Dan has written with his other regular collaborators down the years, such as Donnie Fritts, Chips Moman, Marlin Greene and Rick Hall.

Look for that one about this time next year!

Social source share

If DJs hear a track like Candi that isn't available they can always approach us, saying where they would play it out.

It's a slightly tricky area, more so in the 60s than 70s side of it, in that sometimes you give a track to a top DJ to plug as they have a following and they will only play it if it's reasonably exclusive (I know, a 10000 arguments on that one). Sometimes the ownership of the sound won't allow it, it's even possible that we haven't secured exclusive rights yet and need to wait on the paperwork being done. And sometimes we're (me) just selfish and want to break a track first to make our club the place to hear it. Then it'll go out when once established; Good News by the Hytones and the Paramount Four were good examples of the latter.

So don't be shy but then don't go mardy if we have to say No for one of various reasons.

Ady

Social source share

If DJs hear a track like Candi that isn't available they can always approach us, saying where they would play it out.

It's a slightly tricky area, more so in the 60s than 70s side of it, in that sometimes you give a track to a top DJ to plug as they have a following and they will only play it if it's reasonably exclusive (I know, a 10000 arguments on that one). Sometimes the ownership of the sound won't allow it, it's even possible that we haven't secured exclusive rights yet and need to wait on the paperwork being done. And sometimes we're (me) just selfish and want to break a track first to make our club the place to hear it. Then it'll go out when once established; Good News by the Hytones and the Paramount Four were good examples of the latter.

So don't be shy but then don't go mardy if we have to say No for one of various reasons.

Ady

What are the tracks?

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

...it certainly is correct! Thanks for doing what I was too lazy to do, Sebastian my friend...:D

Bob Dunham and yrs, trly. are already at work on a follow up volume of 'Penn and Others' which will anthologise songs that Dan has written with his other regular collaborators down the years, such as Donnie Fritts, Chips Moman, Marlin Greene and Rick Hall.

Great choice of tracks Tony, but do really have to wait twelve months for the follow up?!?!?!

Kev

Social source share

Tony, as Kev has previously said a great set of tracks and its a shame the 12month time window between the two releases :yes:

I've recently reacquainting myself with William Bells - The Soul Of A Bell and was thinking what an absolute gem his version of Do Right Woman-Do Right Man a classic Penn/Moman composition of which this was one of many. So looking forward to both.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Do we really have to wait twelve months for the follow up?!?!?!

Kev

The licensing process can be a lengthy one when you are talking about clearing two dozen tracks from an assortment of copyright owners. It took around 6 months for 'Sweet Inspiration' to clear from start to finish, and I wouldn't expect any next one to come in in less time than that.

The licensing process can be a difficult and often very lengthy one at times. It can be less difficult when all sources you want are owned by the same licensor and/or you're dealing with a single artist package, because you're cxlearing everything through one company and, usually, through one highly competent person at that compnay. But 24 tracks by 24 different artists requires, usually, several licensors to examine the terms of 24 different, and often very old, artist contracts in an attempt to ascertain and confirm their licensing rights - which can often be a very lengthy process that requires people on two continents to trawl through or for files that, best case scenario, have not been opened for several decades or, worst case scenario, have been misfiled or lost with the passage of time...

There's no point in writing any sleeve notes/assembling pix and ephemera for a CD booklet/compiling a pre-master/commissioning a package's design/sending the project off for final mastering/setting a release date until all its tracks are fully cleared. With all that to sort out for every release, Ace and most other reissue companies are generally working on pulling the final bits together at least two months upfront of any planned release date.

For any and all January 2012 releases the Ace team will be working on pulling everything together in October 2011. So you can see that, even if we started to apply for tracks on the first working day of next year, we probably wouldn't be able to get it ready for release much sooner than September or October. And that's if everything goes like clockwork and there are no clearances that are made difficult or impossible by terms of an artists original contract or the complete absence, from a record compnay filing cabinet, of any such thing.

I hope this gives some small insight into why things don't happen at the click of two fingers in the reissue business. Sorry if I''ve bored anyone...

Social source share

Ady

Thats great Ady and I hope some chase you for some. Think the Paramount Four certainly benefited from someone like Sam getting it and then everyone all over the country hearing it, the only time I heard it was when I heard either Marco or your good self. Like I said I've heard the Willie Bollinger out once played out at Just Soul (don't think the cd was out then?), same for Candi.

Social source share

We bought the cd on the day of it's release, and were totally blown away by the WILLIE BOLLINGER track.

Just couldn't wait until we heard it played out loud.

As the weeks went on sad to say it just didn't happen, unless you happened to be at a soul night were the few people who had advanced copy's were playing, don't think we heard it apart from at 'JUST SOUL'

MO managed to get a cut ( thanks Ady) and we have played it in every set since, and i would think very,very few people had heard it played or knew the track,(Adam G is exempt, as he did ).

Am so,so looking forward to playing WILLIE at radcliffe on boxing night, very loud and very proud and i think all the people in Steve's room will,like mo and me be totally blown away.

QUALITY double sided release, a record every one should go out and buy yes.gif

Social source share

We bought the cd on the day of it's release, and were totally blown away by the WILLIE BOLLINGER track.

As the weeks went on sad to say it just didn't happen, unless you happened to be at a soul night were the few people who had advanced copy's were playing, don't think we heard it apart from at 'JUST SOUL'

MO managed to get a cut ( thanks Ady) and we have played it in every set since, and i would think very,very few people had heard it played or knew the track,(Adam G is exempt, as he did ).

Am so,so looking forward to playing WILLIE at radcliffe on boxing night, very loud and very proud and i think all the people in Steve's room will,like mo and me be totally blown away.

Same here Mick, bought the CD on the day it was released.

Quality Soul music of the highest degree.

Thing I don't get though is why people on a scene that bases itself on owning original copy's are rushing out to buy the 7" second issue laugh.gif

Social source share

Yes Mick ...some voice on Willie .....the very same Willie Bollinger ,main vocalist on the Small Society 45 thumbsup.gif

P.s Glad you worded that right Mick...... "can't wait to play my willie out at Radcliffe" would have sounded so different :)

Social source share

since the day the cd was released and it was ordred and arrived i,ve played the willie bollinger at every

"DAB OF SOUL" night in fact it some time gets played twice as i always play it early doors

and then gets asked for at the end by those who get there a little later.

keep up the good work guys it is really appreciated.

regards

dave lucas

Social source share

Guest Brett F

The thing is Sean played the tracks of a promo cd, I heard them at Yarmouth, Just Soul, Nantwich and Soul or Nothing......you guys just don't know where to go......LOL...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!