Notts Palais

nksouldude

Went to the palais in the late 70`s and have some great memorys of a great venue listning to the top dj`s playin the latest sounds but can any body remember the revolving dance floor in the basement room not seen or herd of revolving dancefloor since and what a weird feeling comeing of the floor haveing just strut yourstuff

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Went to the palais in the late 70`s and have some great memorys of a great venue listning to the top dj`s playin the latest sounds but can any body remember the revolving dance floor in the basement room not seen or herd of revolving dancefloor since and what a weird feeling comeing of the floor haveing just strut yourstuff

Marvelous venue... loved the Palais, had some brilliant times there...

Social source share

Where I spent my formative years!

The revolving dance floor was in the Bali Hai Room downstairs and was the Jazz Funk venue. This is where Jonathon Woodliffe and Colin Curtis used to play top notch imports to the constantly spinning dancers - The food bar was down there as well. You could get to it either to the right of the stage as you looked at it or when you came in turn right.

thanks for bringing this memory back!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Where I spent my formative years!

The revolving dance floor was in the Bali Hai Room downstairs and was the Jazz Funk venue. This is where Jonathon Woodliffe and Colin Curtis used to play top notch imports to the constantly spinning dancers - The food bar was down there as well. You could get to it either to the right of the stage as you looked at it or when you came in turn right.

thanks for bringing this memory back!

Any body else got any memorys

Social source share

not forgetting every Monday night down the Bali hi , John Poole and Jonathon & the late Andy Lee spinning the northern

even had the great man Paul smith in attendance ,

Tuesday & Thursday nights you had the Italian Club & Beeston Unity was a whole lot of soul going on in Notts in the mid seventies

many great memories

Mick H

Social source share

I lived there from early '78 until mid '81 (started month before my 16th birthday). never missed an all dayer or the later niters during that time. it didnt matter what music was played (witihn reason :thumbsup: ), there was no split in the scene. they played it all . a wonderful venue.

i have fond memories of seeing Jnr Walker there too. GREAT !

IAN

Social source share

I loved the Palais....i too remember Bali Hai with the revolving dance floor ....i also remember being able to go behind the stage and cut through to the other side of the dancefloor without disturbing the dancers... yes,i have very fond memories of the Palais....my first major venue when i was a young teen.

KTF.....forever

Susan

PS..Pete used to be a regular there also.....I was too young to know him then...tee hee

(he was one of the big lads who us young inocent girlies used to idolise.....and still do :thumbsup: )

Edited by casper
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The Palais was my first foray into the grown up world of northern soul aged 15, after getting into it in the local youth club about 18 months previously. It was November 1975 and me and a mate Daz Whitton thumbed it from Mansfield to Nottingham ( there was no need to, we could easily have caught a bus but we were out for an adventure after hearing stories of the older lads thumbing it to all nighters) :yes:

Anyway as we walked up to the entrance there was a queue building up but there were 3 lads from Mansfield right at the front who shouted us over so we went in with them and were first in. Impressed with the place when it was empty but not as much as a couple of hours later when it was full and the dance floor was literally bouncing up and down :hatsoff2:

We were able to show off to the rest of our gang after that cos we were the only ones who'd been and were in with the big boys now biggrin.gif Went regularly over the next few years and had some fabulous times there.

Still got my yellow & black west midland soul club badge and a record box with stickers "WMSC for connoisseurs of soul" and "soul power 76" which i bought in those early days.

Records which remind me of the palais include Larry Santos, Van Dykes, Willie Mitchell amongst loads of others

Social source share

The palais was my first alldayer cica76 went there with Gray weaver mona doz Rob Chris n Andy and all the rest of the chesterfield 70s soul crew!

That revolving dance floor !!!! Could be a bit tricky especially if you'd been sammmys Friday Wigan Saturday the on to the Pallas for the alldayer.

Can't remember many lads n lasses names from notts n Mansfield but we used yo have a great time with you lot then !

One name sticks though Mandy ?? From notts??? Also used to meet at the britt oh happy days

Spike

Social source share

I remember my mate sitting under a table and crying his eyes out as he was coming down from doing a bomber at an all dayer,thanks George you put me off drugs for life wink.gif

The Palais was also the place that I bought Rita and the Tiaras - Gone With The Wind on Dore for a fiver smile.gifwhich I gave away a few years later and the recipient sold it and went to Corfu for a holiday with her boyfriend with the proceeds sad.gifOh the memories,the painful memories biggrin.gif

Edited by pilgrimsoul
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

I lived there from early '78 until mid '81 (started month before my 16th birthday). never missed an all dayer or the later niters during that time. it didnt matter what music was played (witihn reason :hatsoff2: ), there was no split in the scene. they played it all . a wonderful venue.

IAN

What a brilliant day we went straight from the KGB allnighter i remember drinking in a pub across the rd was it called the railway a real weird place Chris L

Social source share

Now I've got thinking did the palais sometimes do a bank holiday weekender ???

Or am I completely wrong????

Dont recall weekenders.Do remember a nighter when i caught the bus home in the morning, cos i'd forgot i was working Saturday am.:rolleyes: .

Needless to say,didnt get much done.Dance comps,were the business,Ilkeston lads etc....revolving dancefloor with Colin Curtis and the glowstick crew......Dave Mitchell - the trip,,,Palais sound....pub across the road before the evening sessions.

Also remember the Little Anthony gig like it was yesterday........................You had to be there.

Social source share

The palais was my first alldayer cica76 went there with Gray weaver mona doz Rob Chris n Andy and all the rest of the chesterfield 70s soul crew!

That revolving dance floor !!!! Could be a bit tricky especially if you'd been sammmys Friday Wigan Saturday the on to the Pallas for the alldayer.

Can't remember many lads n lasses names from notts n Mansfield but we used yo have a great time with you lot then !

One name sticks though Mandy ?? From notts??? Also used to meet at the britt oh happy days

Spike

fook me spike.good to hear from you bud din,t you move out of Notts in 77-78 i remember me and paul thompson getting you in one monday night

as now and again you would get turned away for not being over 18 ha ha

you were one of the regs down that famous vault

Mick H

Social source share

I thought I only went to all-niters there but those years were all a bit blurry...:wicked: (did love the revolving floor, quite revolutionary in them days...:rolleyes:)

I remember one of the last time I went there was a Boxing Night and Edwin Starr was gunna be singing.

Such a lovely man, always made the efoort to talk to people and instead of getting on the stage to sing, he stood in the middle of the dance floor with everyone around him to do his spot...:thumbsup:

and my battery was flat when we went outside afterwards...(strange the things you do remember)...:rolleyes:

Social source share

I used to like the newies that were being played at the time heres my top ten newies from the palais

Nomamds somthins bad

Larry Allen can we talk it over

Don Gardner cheatin kind

George kirby what can Ido

Chandlers your love makes me lonely

Wilbur Walton Jnr 24 hours of loneliness

Fluffy Falana my litle cottage by the sea

Th New Wonderers this man in love

General Assembley sensative mind

Lucky Charms tied to your heart

The Other Ones the two of us

Kelly St Clair hear that beat

Bill Hambric she said goodbye

Jay Trayner up and over

Gil Blanding rules

The Dogs soul step

Lester Tipton this wont change

Don Ray born a loser

Determinations bin bong

Not in any order thinck that must be about 20

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Gonna show my age now but hey ho, in the days of the Dungeon,Beachcomber & Brit in Nottingham any proper soulie would not go near the Palais in those times,was considered a place for tea pot lids (kids) then the northern scene happened and everyone went, did someone mentioned bank holidays, well they were still going late nineties & into early 2000's

Barry

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Gonna show my age now but hey ho, in the days of the Dungeon,Beachcomber & Brit in Nottingham any proper soulie would not go near the Palais in those times,was considered a place for tea pot lids (kids) then the northern scene happened and everyone went, did someone mentioned bank holidays, well they were still going late nineties & into early 2000's

Barry

Had some great times at the palais,first went about 1970,thats not counting the kids do on I think it was saturday morning,cant remember the first time I went there :rolleyes:

Bazza

Social source share

I'm afraid you've got the wrong spike Mick h !!

I never lived in Nottingham spent quite a few happy hours there though !! Back in the mid 7ts

Most memorable when the squad raided this guys house on Sunday morning think we'd been to either coaville or peterbourgh allnighter what sticks in my mind was this lads mum came running in and punched her son and knocked him out

We did a Runner 5 of us in a mini and got back to chesterfield in about 25 mins !!!!!

Y mind is this lads

Social source share

Echo many of the previous memories from the mid 70s particularly the Bali hai downstairs ( I needed to be reminded it was on a Monday) Colmans in town, Intercon ( late on Tuesdays as I recall) Creepers (Basford Hall mw with Rob Smith djing in his early years) Manchester unity in beeston and of course. The Brit, Ilkeston co op etc etc. But the Palais was the best venue without a doubt.

Sharon x

Edited by Sharon Cooper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Good memories of the Palais, I well remember the revolving dancefloor in the Bali Hi. They also had a "jungle" area down there with whicker furniture and a giant tropical beach scene on the wall, which looked amazing after dropping a tab of grey pyramid, sat there watching the tide coming in one night, very relaxing.

Ulyssees

Social source share

Echo many of the previous memories from the mid 70s particularly the Bali hai downstairs ( I needed to be reminded it was on a Monday) Colmans in town, Intercon ( late on Tuesdays as I recall) Creepers (Basford Hall mw with Rob Smith djing in his early years) Manchester unity in beeston and of course. The Brit, Ilkeston co op etc etc. But the Palais was the best venue without a doubt.

Sharon x

Sorry to go off track a bit,......

I used to love Colmans.....my friend at the time, from school, Elaine Guest, her brother Chris and their mates Jeremy Webster, Don Ryan, Wayne Marshall ,Wayne Jacks, Glenn Rothwell(all from sherwood) they introduced me to Northern soul via Colmans . It was 1974 and i was 12years old....it changed my life forever....oh happy days :thumbsup:

KTF

Susan

Edited by casper
Social source share

Sorry to go off track a bit,......

I used to love Colmans.....my friend at the time, from school, Elaine Guest, her brother Chris and their mates Jeremy Webster, Don Ryan, Wayne Marshall ,Wayne Jacks, Glenn Rothwell(all from sherwood) they introduced me to Northern soul via Colmans . It was 1974 and i was 12years old....it changed my life forever....oh happy days :lol:

KTF

Susan

One of the more notable all dayers for me at The Palais , was the one which had Lloyd Michaels doing a PA as part of the promotion in the UK for " The Flasher " .

I had a good conversation with LM , who admitted to me that he was perplexed / overawed / slightly freaked with the reception he was given by the crowd .

Malc

Social source share

What was the reception he got malc?

Was this before flasher was on general release and it was still being played everywhere =good reception

Or was it when it had been overplayed out on general release and being played at every div night club up and down the land?=poor reception

Spike

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I lived there from early '78 until mid '81 (started month before my 16th birthday). never missed an all dayer or the later niters during that time. it didnt matter what music was played (witihn reason :rolleyes: ), there was no split in the scene. they played it all . a wonderful venue.

IAN

Snap!

Same era as me

Did all the alldayers ( cant remember what happened to my badges etc etc and my airforce blue plumbers bag

Still got my original 22" waist airforce blue spencers skirt tho

It would probably fit your good lady!

The Bali hai room all clinging vines and cane furniture remember the revovling dancefloor ...mostly funk music played so did spend much time in that room

sadly the floor in the main room now is mostly carpet :thumbsup: what a shame

Social source share

Memories, memories. Long Eaton youth centre with Swfty and Phil got me into soul and Northern when I was 14, Then slightly older with Swifty to the Torch every Saturday until it finished. Then on to the Mecca at Blackpool from Selecta Disc in transit mini bus, Top Rank Hanley,Samanthas The Brit,Hinckley all nighter, Colemans once in Notts. Whew! where else oh yeah the Palais all nighters and soul nights quite often, then got older got into woman and marriage and Scuba Diving, missed Wigan completely damn! turn the clock,I wish eh. Then picked it up back in the nineties at Penine Hotel at Derby Bretby, Winsford, Trentham and Keele nighters, last time I saw Jnr Walker for the last time. Up to now Stage one, Festival, Soldiers and Sailors, Rolls Royce and great to see Plessey club back on in Beeston Notts now called New Venture Club, it was great. When the grey matter works I'll think of some more, that was 42 years ago it started.

Still on the floor,KTF

Tez

Edited by Tezrez
Social source share

Snap!

Same era as me

Did all the alldayers ( cant remember what happened to my badges etc etc and my airforce blue plumbers bag

Still got my original 22" waist airforce blue spencers skirt tho

It would probably fit your good lady!

The Bali hai room all clinging vines and cane furniture remember the revovling dancefloor ...mostly funk music played so did spend much time in that room

sadly the floor in the main room now is mostly carpet :thumbup: what a shame

Mandy,its susan here,i wear my spencers skirt quite alot did yours have side pockets ?(similar to trouser pockets) the waist on my skirt was 24" originally but now has been extended to 29" by the kindness of my tailor! lol who as it happens,seems to work miracles lol) ive still got a blue plumbers bag....its a bit knackered though, pete keeps his tools in it.

we will have to catch up on our palais days when i see you next.....ktf

susan

Edited by casper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Mandy,its susan here,i wear my spencers skirt quite alot did yours have side pockets ?(similar to trouser pockets) the waist on my skirt was 24" originally but now has been extended to 29" by the kindness of my tailor! lol who as it happens,seems to work miracles lol) ive still got a blue plumbers bag....its a bit knackered though, pete keeps his tools in it.

we will have to catch up on our palais days when i see you next.....ktf

susan

Hello!!wave.gif Susan

Will see you at skeg weekender!thumbsup.gif

And yes my spencer skirt has side/slash pockets

I can bring it with me next time we catch up I just mailed Ian to say your sis (Debbie??) can have my last faux long leather coat and an old vintage jacket

( if she wants em) she can adapt them any way she wishes

See you and Pete soon xxxx

Social source share

Had some brill times at the palais in the 70's, sams fri, wig sat onto notts on sunday on way back to skeg.

HAPPY DAYS indeed.

For quite a while a guy called danny kelly from skeg was manager.

SAMS ,WIGAN OR CLEETHORPES THEN THE PALAIS ,WHAT A W/E DIDNT NO HOW I :hatsoff2::thumbsup: MANAGED IT

Social source share

My best memory of the Palais is an all-dayer '79/'80 ??? with John Grant and Colin Curtis in the main room...... and northern in the bali hai with (I think) Pat Brady and Brian Rae (+more but I can't remember)

Live act in the main room was Lonnie Liston Smith ................I had a great view from the balcony left hand side...... and Mr Smith totally blew me away......and probably changed my life

Cheers Paul

Social source share

• 1 month later...

blimey more memories coming flooding back from my youth.

Friday nights was Colemans til it finally closed it's doors about 1979 then we migrated to the Brit. Monday nights was the Palais downstairs in the Bali Hai, what a way to start the week off and once a month a Palais all dayer. Sunday evenings usually meant a trip up to Gedling Miners Welfare.

Used to hang around with Mark Jarvis (Jarvo) Dopey. Colin Shipstone aka Benny, Curly, Kev and Dave Husbands, Pete and Chris Smith, Tommy?? Gail and Jackie Sirsy (Cirsy??), Andy Cannon from Newark,Steve Potts, Podgy, Sharon Dring (my then girlfriend) Susan Grocott, Diane Stanley.

I left the scene and went onto other things about 82 after growing boredwith it all, although it never really ever went away. Flirted on and off ever since and now I'm exiled in Stockport.

Palais only ever did 3 nighters in my time, and I saw Jr Walker and still have his autograph from the event.

Happy Days

Social source share

I seem to remember a sign above the entrance doors that said "Through these doors pass some of the most beautiful girls in the world".

And to be fair, always was a fair amount of pretty girls at the All Dayers....LOL!

Edited by Homage
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

remember boxing nite mid 90s tommy hunt singing live on the dance floor turned round to have edwin starr & his manager next to me nearly died then edwin went over to tommy hunt and they ended up behind the decks and did a duet best nite i had there

Edited by mickjay33
Social source share

I seem to remember a sign above the entrance doors that said "Through these doors pass some of the most beautiful girls in the world".

And to be fair, always was a fair amount of pretty girls at the All Dayers....LOL!

can confirm that sign although there also passed through a fair few old munters too but that was usually on Friday's grab a granny night :thumbsup:

Social source share

I seem to remember that at the time Nottingham was reputed to have the best looking women in the country smile.gif

Social source share

It also had the highest women to men ratio in the UK with 7 girls to every fella! No wonder when I joined the Navy the lads in the mess wanted to go to Nottingham for the weekend instead of going home! (please resist obvious jokes about golden rivets and turn in the barrell etc, the memories are too painfull :-) )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

yes thats true.....and your so kind....and if you wernt so blessed (like me) in the "Pretty" division ,you still felt tho you were

(i was always there,just for the buzz Tee Hee :thumbsup: )

Social source share

• 8 months later...

I remember the Sunday All-dayers in '72-'74 ish, I think they were mostly organised by the WMSC Mick Flello and Pep.

One legendary weekend went like this. Friday night down the Brit on Trentside with Denny on the decks, then over to Cleo's in Derby where Hector was on. That finished about 1.30 or so then it was up to Samanthas in Sheffield where John Vincent resided.

Saturday it was over to a mates in Horwich where we layed low until it was time to go to Wigan and catch the free bus to the Highland Rooms, remembering to get our hands stamped so we could get back on the bus to the Casino for a helping of Rus, Kev and Richard. Then back to the Palais for the dayer. :thumbup:

Good times

Social source share

while were on about notts venues did anyone on here ever go to the adelphi club,it was on the same road as the strathdon hotel fri, nights resident djs were john poole and andy lee.there was no bar and you had to walk down to the strathdon for a pint.also does any body know a black guy called paddy from palais all dayers

Social source share

I seem to remember that at the time Nottingham was reputed to have the best looking women in the country smile.gif

Without wishing to sounding a pleb.....and moreover as a happily married man (again) :yes: Bumped into a lady whilst walking the dog, and lo and behold she told me she was originally from Nottingham.....and attended the Palais.....and definitely albeitly respectfully agree with the latter part of your "quote" :yes:

Social source share

I remember the Sunday All-dayers in '72-'74 ish, I think they were mostly organised by the WMSC Mick Flello and Pep.

One legendary weekend went like this. Friday night down the Brit on Trentside with Denny

on the decks, then over to Cleo's in Derby where Hector was on. That finished about 1.30 or so then it was up to Samanthas in Sheffield where John Vincent resided.

Saturday it was

over to a mates in Horwich where we layed low until it was time to go to Wigan and catch the free bus to the Highland Rooms, remembering to get our hands stamped so we could get back on the bus to the Casino for a helping of Rus, Kev and Richard. Then back to the Palais for the dayer. :thumbup: [/

Good times[/font

typical bank holiday weekend cica 1977

Fridays either sammanthas Sheffield or over to notts to the Brit then off to coalville or Peterbourgh (was that on Fridays??) allnightrs

Saturday wigan

Sunday back to notts pally aldayer

Monday matlock bath pavilion aldayer

Kin ell it was nearly Friday again!!!!

Ps was the coalville nighter at a bailies club ?? Just remember that it was in the town centre

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Had some great times in notts, loved the dayers :thumbup:

Was talking to an old mate from back then who i ain't seen much since the late 80's

Got to talkin about some of the folks we met at the time but was one we couldn't put a name to,.

but we could remember his strange tatoo of a frog on a lilly pad with the words "I need a jump"

Anyone else remember him :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!