Notts Palais

nksouldude

Guest FrostyJak

I saw Jr Walker and still have his autograph from the event.

Happy Days

Yep great performance too ,remember him really givin it some playing layed on his back on stage propa gritty nasty norty stuff :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yep great performance too ,remember him really givin it some playing layed on his back on stage propa gritty nasty norty stuff :thumbsup:

My mate Benny from chesterfield has a photo of jr walker laid on his back playing sax from that performance tookwith a poliaroid

If I can get him to scan it I'll put it on here

Social source share

Guest Byrney

If it's the 79 80? Performance I remember Jr doing the James Brown fall to his knees bit with one of the band helping him up and off the stage, for an encore of course. Great showmanship
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Hay I remember him cant finck of his name tho we used to call him frog arm thinck he was from Stapleford and occaisonly hung about with us from Long Eaton

seems to ring a bell that, from Stabbo, not called Brian was he?
Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

If it's the 79 80? Performance I remember Jr doing the James Brown fall to his knees bit with one of the band helping him up and off the stage, for an encore of course. Great showmanship

Think thats it -- sure he asked "Do you wan't me to be bad or REALLY BAD?" before booting the mic stand over :rofl::P

Social source share

I'm afraid you've got the wrong spike Mick h !!

I never lived in Nottingham spent quite a few happy hours there though !! Back in the mid 7ts

Most memorable when the squad raided this guys house on Sunday morning think we'd been to either coaville or peterbourgh allnighter what sticks in my mind was this lads mum came running in and punched her son and knocked him out

We did a Runner 5 of us in a mini and got back to chesterfield in about 25 mins !!!!!

Y mind is this lads

sorry yes i have the wrong spike,recentley found out my old chum spike,emigrated to Australia in 1992

Mick

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the 1980 Junior Walker appearance. That was in the summer, around June time and it was a great show. I'm sure he wore a gold lame suit. Maybe I ought to edge my bets and just say it was something shiny.

Other things I remember about that concert are the already mention "collapse" and "revival" routine and his little catch phrase he did before every sax solo; something like "I think I'll blow for ya'all" or "I'm gonna blow for ya".

Towards the end of the set when it looked as if he was about to do the last number which was Roadrunner a lot of people started shouting out for "I Ain't Going Nowhere" which he seemed a little unprepared for. He did it anyway and it sounded pretty good.

The other random thing I remember was that as the band were introduced at the end the bass player got a huge cheer, almost as big as JW's.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pugwash

My fondest memory of the Palais was the fact that 9times out of 10 we couldn't get in. Where you from lads soon as we spoke it was sorry lads your from Barnsley no entry. On the few times we got in yes it was a good night. We even split up and tried to get in , individually but usually got caught. Never mind we had the Hub in Barnsley now that was a good night great sounds. Anyone remember the HUB .

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

typical bank holiday weekend cica 1977

Fridays either sammanthas Sheffield or over to notts to the Brit then off to coalville or Peterbourgh (was that on Fridays??) allnightrs

Saturday wigan

Sunday back to notts pally aldayer

Monday matlock bath pavilion aldayer

Kin ell it was nearly Friday again!!!!

Ps was the coalville nighter at a bailies club ?? Just remember that it was in the town centre

yes we were either" fit as fleas" or" totally mental".....or both,but....fab times all the same :D ...lv susan xx

Social source share

I was fortunate to grow up during the hey days of the Palais in the early 7ts. Attended many Nighters / Dayers I even have a couple of those neon posters that used to hang outside of the palais. Do any of you remember Jeffs Fashion shop at canning circus, where you could get free tickets to go to the Palais on a Monday night. Upstairs they mostly played chart stuff with a little northern, but I stayed downstairs in the Bali Hai, there was a chap who used to check your age can't quite remember his name, but you hoped to God he would let you in, cos if you couldn't the whole night was spoilt.

I think the manager at the time was Mick Knight?

Also at the end of the Nighters I think they used to play a track can't quite remember by the Boogie Man Orchestra?

Also does anyone remember good old Colemans (back of the now Primark) and there used to be a pub/club called La Coq Robin on Derby Road near by the playhouse and also the Chuck Waggon at Skeggy? Great time's the memories will live on forever. KTF

Social source share

I was fortunate to grow up during the hey days of the Palais in the early 7ts. Attended many Nighters / Dayers I even have a couple of those neon posters that used to hang outside of the palais. Do any of you remember Jeffs Fashion shop at canning circus, where you could get free tickets to go to the Palais on a Monday night. Upstairs they mostly played chart stuff with a little northern, but I stayed downstairs in the Bali Hai, there was a chap who used to check your age can't quite remember his name, but you hoped to God he would let you in, cos if you couldn't the whole night was spoilt.

Also at the end of the Nighters I think they used to play a track can't quite remember by the Boogie Man Orchestra?

Also does anyone remember good old Colemans (back of the now Primark) and there used to be a pub/club called La Coq Robin on Derby Road near by the playhouse and also the Chuck Waggon at Skeggy? Great time's the memories will live on forever. KTF

Anthony , there is a member on here who used to work in Jeffs Fashions . As for La Coq Robin , I don't remember it but do remember Warrows Cider bar up were The Queens Heads pub was ,great Cider

Social source share

Had some great times at the Palais dayers and nighters also Mondays nights in the Bali Hai, Mick Knight sometimes played a few records at the dayers. Colmans is now a jewellers shop and was on Friday and Sunday nights.

Social source share

Anthony , there is a member on here who used to work in Jeffs Fashions . As for La Coq Robin , I don't remember it but do remember Warrows Cider bar up were The Queens Heads pub was ,great Cider

Jeffs had a shop on the corner of stoney st, and Roxy Rob had a shop on hockley, and the Pubs we went in pryor to going to the Palais was the Bodega, and the Fountain also QE2 next to that night club Ariba.....also some nights you had to wear a tie to get past the doorman at the Palais i remember we cut a tie in half so as two of us could get in great days and nights.....

The flying horse and good old Yates wine lodge were regular haunts and just remembered i bumped into Mick Knight a couple of years ago in the Park Hotel was the Savoy

Regards Mal

Social source share

went to the palias from 75 onwards brill times with mick h ,and the rest of the colemans crew the first palias niters were late 79 there was only 3niters at this time d.j's were richard searling ,soul sam ,dave raistrick, john poole, gary rushbrooke etc. then in mid 80's i was asked to do saturday nights down in the bali ia which eventually lead to nighters in late 84 to 86 the revivals were originally run by stu morris who had soul sessions at the painted windows around the same time then these where taken over by john wilkinson top nights :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 8 months later...
Guest Dave Atkinson

It was the first venue where I played James Carr Thats what I want to know and Homer Banks A lot of Love. Got them on Advance release also Little Darling by Marvin Gaye.

Have many happy memories of the few years I spent there before I moved to the Brit.

Social source share

I was always wary of that revolving dance floor. It was bad enough trying to dance never mind the floor moving as well. Around 73 when I first started going with my mate Trev. Spent most of the time propping up the bar. Didn't seem very well supported back then and often it was quite empty. Got my first intro into Worthington E down in the Bali Hi. No wonder I hate beer. Lol. Was never interested in who was d jaying only what was playing. Brit club on Friday night was priority though and if we could be bothered afte work we did the Palais on Monday. Good memories

Chris

Social source share

I was always wary of that revolving dance floor. It was bad enough trying to dance never mind the floor moving as well. Around 73 when I first started going with my mate Trev. Spent most of the time propping up the bar. Didn't seem very well supported back then and often it was quite empty. Got my first intro into Worthington E down in the Bali Hi. No wonder I hate beer. Lol. Was never interested in who was d jaying only what was playing. Brit club on Friday night was priority though and if we could be bothered afte work we did the Palais on Monday. Good memories

Chris

Social source share

Guest Junior Kickstart

Never went to Notts Palais myself (too young), I do however own a record that has a stamp on it, that says 'Nottingham Palais De Danse' (or something like that, can't remember for sure without digging it out), which I'm guessing was part of some in house collection for the dj's to use.

The record is not northern soul, but Don Fardon's psychey cover of I'm Alive on Youngblood, bought it about 10 years ago at Derby car boot for 20p.

Love stuff like this, I often wonder who owned and played records, and where they were played before I got them! :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!