On The Soul Side,railway Club & Southampton Soul Club

First off we'd like to sat a Big Thank You to all those that came along on saturday night struggling through the arctic conditions.

Was in two minds whether to call it off but eventually went ahead.

We started with two rooms but with numbers not looking as good as we'd hoped we merged into the one room and got a good atmosphere going.

Thanks to Alfie,Chilly,Tim,Simon,Jonah,Martin Adams and also to Bob Snow for turning up with his box of tunes to in general make it a success.

Lots of superb quality soul played throughout the night and dancefloor busy til the end.

Next "On The Soulside" returns to The Loft Bar on sat.Feb 19th with another addition to the dj line up in Mischief.Guest dj's joining us on the night are Matt and his first time on the decks here Alan Hutchings.

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Mortimore

. I'm sorry Dave. It looks like we put up our reports at almost the same time.

. Many Thanks for last Saturday night, Dave

. P.S. I'll post my report onto your string. Can the powers that be remove my original thread? Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this.

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Guest Dave Mortimore

. It's true to say about life, in that things don't always go as planned, even when you've done all the groundwork and unfortunately this is one night that was the victim of surrounding circumstances. Consequently, it fell below expectations.

. At the beginning of the year, this anniversary night had been earmarked for Dec 4th. But Dave Morris discovered later that this date would have clashed with Bournemouth Pier. So he pulled it back to the next free saturday of the 18th and then set about assembling his line-up with the expanded two room set-up.

. However, unbeknowns to Dave were the on going plans for the 50th birthday celebration of the venerable Steve Lyons on the very same night. Steve is a philosophical, laid back and well liked character, with many friends who stretch back a long way from his promotional activities on the south coast soul scene.

. So the auspices weren't good, as so many people were going to be caught between the goal posts of two special occasions.

. Some of us would try to attend both. We arrived at The Belvedere Hotel at 9 p.m. (and endeavoured to get to the university for 11 p.m.) - Steve's Birthday Party was everything anyone could have hoped for. There was a vibrant and busy atmosphere as close friends from the past, family and so many people from the soul fraternity came together to share and celebrate a special landmark in the life of this well liked man.

. As we made our way through the snow to The Talbot Heath Campus, I had a feeling that the celebrations in town and the extreme weather were going to have an effect on the anniversary of 'On The Soul Side'

. My instincts were confirmed as we were greeted at the door by Dave and Viv. It was quieter than a normal soul night, as things were usually buzzing by 11 p.m. - The conditions had put off many from travelling. As there were so many people from West Dorset to Sussex who were turning up, but hadn't made the journey. Dave was also down by four D.J.s and consequently the occasion had now been drawn back to a one room event in The Loft Bar.

. Eventually numbers did build up as more people spilled in from The Belvedere Hotel and belatedly an atmosphere more becoming of the university was created. I went into Dylan's Bar to look around, as the men from the now defunct Railway Club were packing away their equipment. Many of the chairs and tables had been stacked away to one side to expose a large dancefloor and I couldn't help but share the same feelings as the guys, in that it had been a real shame that we couldn't experience what might have been.

. I think everyone understood the difficult circumstances and as we said our goodbyes, there was alot of warmth and positive sentiment shown towards the promoter and D.J.s in what they had achieved.

. We look forward to next year's events, Dave & Jan Mortimore

Whoops... 2 threads...

Dave sorry we never made it ...

was really looking forward to it as well...

but snow hit South london and it was game over...

I could't drive any where...

see you in FEB ...

Mischief

Not a problem Mischief.

Looking forward to seeing you both in Feb.

Danny sent me a photo of his garden.

Paul McKay tried to get down but got forced back by the weather.Thanks for trying Paul by the way.

Have a good christmas.

absolutely gutted that i coudn't get down but i had to make a decision based on weather/travel reports in wiltshire and things didn't look good!, i'm also gutted for dave and viv who i know put tons of effort into this night only to have there hopes dahed at the last moment :lol: , keep up the good work guys and a merry xmas to you and all the south coast soulies, i'll see you in the new year :lol:

gary

After a shock mini blizzard early Saturday morning and tv reports of hazardous driving conditions between Sussex and Dorset we left making a decision on whether to travel until late Saturday afternoon. By 4:30pm snow began to fall again on top of that from earlier in the day which had now frozen making walking never mind driving treacherous. Reluctantly we had to concede to the weather and spent Saturday night at home - gutted for missing the night and gutted for everyone who had spent months of hard work planning & promoting this event, Dave, Viv, Danny, Mandy and all sorry we couldn't make it, have a great Christmas & New Year and we'll catch up with you at the uni next year.

Graham

Chin up Dave, at least you weren't handing out free tickets outside the Pier in desperation for attendees :lol: It's would be a great idea to re-stage this event when the weather's more agreeable :lol:

Good evenng soulies...:lol:

Bloody good night if you don't mind me saying...ok the no's were down but that did not stop those that were there haveing a good time...:thumbsup:

There was a good few that travelled so fair play to them...(hope you all got home safe)...as the roads were shite...it took me 1hr & 30mins to get home...normally a 35 min drive...

A massive thanks to Dave & Viv keep up the good work...will defo be back in the new year as will the rest of the soulies...

really enjoyed spinning some choons...got to play a few of me new arrivals that went down well so pleased as punch...cracking sets by the dj's...

Spoke to Mr Morris and he is looking into putting on another two room event next year...:thumbsup:

ps...i'll save the mince pies...lol

have a gr8 xmas ppl...and if i don't see you before all the best for 2011...

Alfie

. It's true to say about life, in that things don't always go as planned, even when you've done all the groundwork and unfortunately this is one night that was the victim of surrounding circumstances. Consequently, it fell below expectations.

. At the beginning of the year, this anniversary night had been earmarked for Dec 4th. But Dave Morris discovered later that this date would have clashed with Bournemouth Pier. So he pulled it back to the next free saturday of the 18th and then set about assembling his line-up with the expanded two room set-up.

. However, unbeknowns to Dave were the on going plans for the 50th birthday celebration of the venerable Steve Lyons on the very same night. Steve is a philosophical, laid back and well liked character, with many friends who stretch back a long way from his promotional activities on the south coast soul scene.

. So the auspices weren't good, as so many people were going to be caught between the goal posts of two special occasions.

. Some of us would try to attend both. We arrived at The Belvedere Hotel at 9 p.m. (and endeavoured to get to the university for 11 p.m.) - Steve's Birthday Party was everything anyone could have hoped for. There was a vibrant and busy atmosphere as close friends from the past, family and so many people from the soul fraternity came together to share and celebrate a special landmark in the life of this well liked man.

. As we made our way through the snow to The Talbot Heath Campus, I had a feeling that the celebrations in town and the extreme weather were going to have an effect on the anniversary of 'On The Soul Side'

. My instincts were confirmed as we were greeted at the door by Dave and Viv. It was quieter than a normal soul night, as things were usually buzzing by 11 p.m. - The conditions had put off many from travelling. As there were so many people from West Dorset to Sussex who were turning up, but hadn't made the journey. Dave was also down by four D.J.s and consequently the occasion had now been drawn back to a one room event in The Loft Bar.

. Eventually numbers did build up as more people spilled in from The Belvedere Hotel and belatedly an atmosphere more becoming of the university was created. I went into Dylan's Bar to look around, as the men from the now defunct Railway Club were packing away their equipment. Many of the chairs and tables had been stacked away to one side to expose a large dancefloor and I couldn't help but share the same feelings as the guys, in that it had been a real shame that we couldn't experience what might have been.

. I think everyone understood the difficult circumstances and as we said our goodbyes, there was alot of warmth and positive sentiment shown towards the promoter and D.J.s in what they had achieved.

. We look forward to next year's events, Dave & Jan Mortimore

Thanks for the write up Dave.Says it all really when others put on a do knowing that this event had been in the calendar for a year at least.

Would also appreciate not posting on Uni thread and mentioning other events on same night in same town.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Thanks for the write up Dave.Says it all really when others put on a do knowing that this event had been in the calendar for a year at least.

Would also appreciate not posting on Uni thread and mentioning other events on same night in same town.

. Point taken Dave. Though I don't think the party going on in town could be classed as an event. I think I was drawing attention to what you belatedly found yourself up against in the pulling power of your good old friend, in as much like by 'Royal Appointment' through personal invitations, many people couldn't possibly miss celebrating this special landmark in Steve's life.

. I know that you try to work around everything that's going on locally and that you generally schedule your soul nights for the 3rd Saturday after Toddy's event in Bishopstoke.

. Your common sense managerial skills dictate that this is the most understanding way in which to work to achieve success.

. The tragic irony of all this is that if you had been a bloody minded type of operator and gone ahead with your initial date of Dec 4th when the weather was fine, you would have had the big turn-out the anniversary deserved.

. The night panned out into a respectable soul night. No mean feat considering the circumstances.

. I thought the way Dylan's Bar was set up, with the decks to one side and seats pulled away, really opened up the room. Sadly, we were denied what could and should have been, as a just reward for all of your hard work.

. I think you know where I'm coming from when I write in the way I do.

. To my way of thinking, the university is now the last bastion of soul in Bournemouth that is truly playing healthy chunks of alternative and underplayed music alongside all of the old and latter day classics that are absolutely necessary to provide balance.

. Your efforts have allowed this event to grow in stature and into the affections of many. This hasn't gone unnoticed.

. Best Regards for Xmas, Dave & Jan Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Chin up Dave, at least you weren't handing out free tickets outside the Pier in desperation for attendees smile.gif It's would be a great idea to re-stage this event when the weather's more agreeable :)

my mate barry was offered a free ticket and decided to give the event a try

after thinking long and hard he decided to do a you tube of his thoughts

Guest wizardmerlin
thumbsup.gifhaving driven from west midlands to weymouth then to uni twas a shame weather spoiled turnout but never mind we still had a good timeyes.gifagree with dave dylans bar was set out great ,pity there was a lack of people to fill it.could have been a few more stompers to kill myself to but ya cor have everythinglaugh.gif

i was gutted not to be able to attend but after looking at the weather and the next days forecast it was just too much of a risk....speaking to other djs that were unable to attend we all felt it was the right choice

heard lots of talk that dave might sort out another 2 room event....imvho a great idea....i know everyone was really up for this event and i know for sure pete,paul,danny and myself were very disappointed not to make it

regards moldie

. To my way of thinking, the university is now the last bastion of soul in Bournemouth that is truly playing healthy chunks of alternative and underplayed music alongside all of the old and latter day classics that are absolutely necessary to provide balance.

. Your efforts have allowed this event to grow in stature and into the affections of many. This hasn't gone unnoticed.

. Best Regards for Xmas, Dave & Jan Mortimore

We certainly are the last bastion playing lots of alternative and underplayed soul and on original vinyl.We also like to mix it in with the older and not so old classics so that there is something for everyone.

Roll on next year which will be our 4th at The Uni.

We'd also like to send everyone that knows us our best wishes for Christmas and a Happy New Year.:thumbup::lol: