Flowers - For Real

Guest dx052

Just being doing a search for this little number and can't find it that easily. I did stumble across a 12" version though! but not the original single.

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ah, I think I will just stick it on my shopping list in case it comes a bit more accessible in years to come.

Me too , what a brilliant tune :lol:

Social source share

This type of thing truly never happens anymore-- but my good friend Breck found one in a thrift shop in Detroit about 2 years ago.

The cost? A whopping .25¢ U.S... He saw it, didn't know what it was, drove home, looked it up, almost died, and then ran back

and bought it. Now, we get to hear it in Ann Arbor every month. Dangerous tune- induces ovulation.

Social source share

This type of thing truly never happens anymore-- but my good friend Breck found one in a thrift shop in Detroit about 2 years ago.

The cost? A whopping .25¢ U.S... He saw it, didn't know what it was, drove home, looked it up, almost died, and then ran back

and bought it. Now, we get to hear it in Ann Arbor every month. Dangerous tune- induces ovulation.

what i find astounding about this story is that he left a record for .25c, drove home and went back - surely the fuel to even start the car was more than .25c and therefore worth a punt! LOL

Social source share

I seriously need this record.

I will probably never own this record.

That makes me sad.

The end.

:huh::lol:

Ste.

There's an old saying Ste....if you want something badly enough ,you will do anything to get it :yes:

Maybe a kidney .....or an eye .. ....most people have two of each and can function with one .:thumbsup:

Social source share

Not quite as good but not far off........I got one for $1 at the Pasadena record fair some years ago. A guy had just pitched up thrown a blanket on the bonnet (hood) of his car and put some pretty beat up guitars out and a small box of 45s.

The sign on the box said 'Weird Stuff' and most of it was obscure but not soul, one of the few to have a sleeve was the Flowers record, not mint but a solid vg+, dollar paid thank-you very much!!

What a great concept...an outdoor record fair in the Californian sunshine, happy days.

BH

Social source share

Following that discogs link it seems that Richard Flowers wrote NF Porter 'Keep On Keepin On' as well as 'For Real', never made that connx before assuming it's right?

I'd say so. :wave:

A Keep On Keeping On 2:50

Written-By - Richard Flowers B Don't Make Me Color My Black Face Blue 3:09

Written-By - N.F. Porter*

Credits

Producer - Gabriel Mekler

Richard Flowers

Real Name:Richard Elijah Flowers Jr. Variations: Viewing All | Richard Flowers R Flowers | R. Flowers | R.Flowers

Writing & Arrangement

R-50-924648-1173399007.jpeg

For Real

(7") LA Xpressio 1976

R-50-220276-1195867637.jpeg

Roy Ayers / Wayne Henderson - Heat Of The Beat

Polydor 1978

Heat Of The Beat (12", Promo) Polydor 1978

R-50-1271871-1292817528.jpeg

• I Like Being In Love With You

Wilson Williams - Up The Down Stairs (12")
ABC Records 1978
R-50-2393713-1281471768.jpeg
  • Do It (Hazlo) (as R. Flowers)

Hilary (7) - Do It (Hazlo) / Sundancers (Bailarines Del Sol)

CBS 1979

Do It (Hazlo) / Sundancers (Bailarines Del Sol) (12", Ltd, Red) CBS 1979

R-50-1524434-1226010004.jpeg

Dancin' Love Affair

Polydor 1979

Dancin' Love Affair (7", Single) Polydor 1979

R-50-772142-1210264101.jpeg

Dancin' Love Affair

(12", Promo) Polydor 1979

R-50-747342-1252230510.jpeg

• Heat Of The Beat (as R Flowers)

Roy Ayers - The Collection (CD, Comp)
Connoisseur Collection 1998
R-50-265951-1172514640.jpeg
  • For Real

Various - Paradisiac 3

ULM Electro 2001

Paradisiac 3 (2xCD, Comp, Dig) ULM Electro 2001

R-50-1378819-1222029858.jpeg

• Dancin' Love Affair

Various - Disco Breakfast (2xCD, Comp)
Universal Music (Austria) 2008
R-50-1876402-1257686176.jpeg
  • Keep On Keeping On

N.F. Porter* - Keep On Keeping On / Don't Make Me Color My Black Face Blue (7", Single)

Lizard Unknown

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Sold mine to Gary Dennis for £150 in the early 9ts which I believe he sold onto a school teacher.

I think mine also came from John Anderson at a reasonable price in the 8ts.

It was one of those records that I got sick of hearing at every soul do in the south back then.

Social source share

I sold one on here for £350 a year ago knew id made a mistake when Steve Plumb asked for it and even more so when a week later the Fooker went for 1200 on evil bay. still a certain lovely lady gets moist every time she hears it now laugh.gif its mine when it goes at the same price thou

wanna bet Teddy love :rolleyes:

not about the moist bit though laugh.gif

Social source share

I didn't drive home, I keep a manship book under the seat of my car for use in emergency situations :thumbsup:

in my defense I thought it was a novelty record - that 'Collectors Production' credit threw me

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!