soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 45
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest LeoLyxxx

Think this will go really high.. it's a smashing record, ultra rare and (i guess) indemand, truly a masterpiece IMO

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Surely you aren't thinking of bidding on a record you don't know that will probably go for 1000's ?????????????????????

We used to have a short clip of it ages ago i don't know if we still do as i can't be arsed with edited clips just in case i may bootleg something i like to think that i am above all that malarky and am as honest as the day is long (ish)

If i can find it i will send it over off list James

John

Social source share

out of interest does anybody have a sound clip of this record?

Click here to download an RA of it. I love the tune! And the times I've heard David Flynn spin it (3 times I think, all in Gothenburg, Sweden) it has sounded absolutely fantastic. The last copy that went on eBay that I know of went for several thousand dollars.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

This is one of those that won't surprise me if it goes for a shit-load of cash.. how many copies are there knocking about approx.? This is so much better than most of the hyped rarities, much better than Mello Souls e.tc. (IMVHO that is ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

"Surely you aren't thinking of bidding on a record you don't know that will probably go for 1000's ?????????????????????"

I heard Dave Flynn play it at the Dome. Best thing I'd heard in a bloody long time!!!!

Come to think about it, still is one of the best things I've heard in a bloody long time!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Click here to download an RA of it. I love the tune! And the times I've heard David Flynn spin it (3 times I think, all in Gothenburg, Sweden) it has sounded absolutely fantastic. The last copy that went on eBay that I know of went for several thousand dollars.

Thank you sir!

Social source share

defintely holy grail class this one to me

if had to name one 45 that summed up all the good things bout northern

this would be it

always try and catch David Flynn and Keith Money to get a fix of this great 45

Keith M gave out a 1 min history spiel on background before playing it in lounge at last Rhyl conniseurs

9 days to go ... mmmmm :P

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I don't know about being better than the Mellow Souls but certainly one of the new generation of Northern Class rarities. I'm almost bored of it now as i've heard it played out the past two weeks now ;o))

Kin great record though ;o)))

Johnners

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

you would think the seller would offer free postage! He is gonna get a serious sum on this one and he even wants to charge you another $5. lol

Shane

Social source share

If someone can spend thousands of pounds (or Dollars) on one single, then I'm sure they won't mind spending another $5 on postage.

Within 12 hours, from when I first saw it, it's gone from $300 to $2,392.00 where will it end?

Since this morning, I've found a sample of it on a Scenesville tape I got. To be honest I think the track is OK, but not the Holy Grail. Still this scene would be ever so boring, if we all had the same tastes and views.

Social source share

Am watching this with interest, think its a great track, wonder what it will eventually go for, I know I cant afford it!!! Still I can dream.

Social source share

Am I the only one who think this record is soooo overrated...?

A good dancer perhaps, but the vocals are sooo poor IMO.

Each to their own of course, but surely there are better

'northern' soul records out there than this?? But then again,

what do I know..?!

Concerning it's value; I remember there was a copy for sale

on the old *Soul Talk* list @ £1000 a 2-3 years ago. About £990

too much IMO ;-)

Cheers,

Christian B

PS! Most other releases on the label seems to be white

garage-rock etc.

Social source share

Am I only one who think this record is soooo overrated...?

No you are probably not. But on the other hand, I haven't heard that many people raving about it. I mentioned above that I love this tune. And I do (wouldn't say that it "sums up northern" but I can't be arsed about whether it's (northern) soul or not either - I like all kinds of music and a lot of my all-time faves are sung by piss poor vocalists), it sounds magnificent at a venue and is a good dancer. But in relation to how much it is selling for it is absolute crap. I do think it's a good tune though... Don't know if this makes any sense... :P

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I can see both sides here. I will admit that i wasn't particularly impressed it certainly wasn't anywhere near as good as the Cecil Washington i knew and loved but after hearing it out a few times it grew on me or at least i got it (if you know what i mean) ever since then i think it's the dogs dangley bits as well.

I would say that it is one of the best Newies around (bear in mind that some of these newies have been around for 20 years or so) but as those newies are seemingly in the hands of a few lucky bleeders i suppose they will be around as newies for years to come as well ;o))

John

Social source share

As this 45 has split popular opinion roughly down the middle, I thought I'd have my say...

No, it's not soul in the accepted sense of the word, but I think it is an absolutely marvellous record. Interesting to note that apparently it's been known of since the latter days of Wigan (I guess it turned up with "I Don't Like To Lose"), but was passed over at the time as not being "black" enough to play.

Personally I don't think it would be any better with a soul vocal on top of it. The record's magic comes from the amazing twists and turns of melody, key and tempo change. The lyrics are powerful, evocative and meaningful. Contrast this with crap like Bobby Day "Pretty Girl Dressed In Brown", or indeed Jackie Day's "My Naughty Boy".

When you hear "My Proposal" out it's always an event. Love 'em or loathe 'em, this is what big records should be all about.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I can't understand why some want to get in a bidding war with so many days to go!

A book could be written on bidding strategy;-)

Social source share

I think the record has an identity and atmosphere of it's own, and I can understand it's appeal. It doesn't really do anything for me personally though. Is it Cecil Washington singing, or is he just on production detail? It sounds like an archetypal beach sound to my ears, and I'm not usually very keen on beach. I presume it is an all white band, unless someone informs me otherwise. Better than Joey Delorenzo though...

Social source share

As this 45 has split popular opinion roughly down the middle, I thought I'd have my say...

No, it's not soul in the accepted sense of the word, but I think it is an absolutely marvellous record. Interesting to note that apparently it's been known of since the latter days of Wigan (I guess it turned up with "I Don't Like To Lose"), but was passed over at the time as not being "black" enough to play.

Personally I don't think it would be any better with a soul vocal on top of it. The record's magic comes from the amazing twists and turns of melody, key and tempo change. The lyrics are powerful, evocative and meaningful. Contrast this with crap like Bobby Day "Pretty Girl Dressed In Brown",

When you hear "My Proposal" out it's always an event. Love 'em or loathe 'em, this is what big records should be all about.

or indeed Jackie Day's "My Naughty Boy".

I think you might have left yourself wide open there.

Phil.

Social source share

Just listened to it and it is a great dancer, melody, breaks etc. easy on the feet. Not what I would call soul though. I think someone is referring to Bobby Day "Pretty Girl Next Door" which is indeed a real turkey IMO, whilst "Pretty Girl Dressed In Brown" by Eugene Jefferson might not be a ten star sound it is IMO a more than half decent northern sound.

Social source share

Yes Christian, "Pretty Girl Next Door". Sorry.

Phil, I stand by what I said about Jackie Day, simply an awful, awful record. Its' only saving grace being that it's marginally better than Terri Goodnight's "They Didn't Know", also on Phlectron, also rare and also overplayed and over-rated.

I wouldn't actually buy Soul Inc. at any price, as I like to stick fairly close to the real soul template, but that doesn't stop it being good.

The point I was trying to make is that just because a tune has even a half decent soul singer (i.e. Jackie Day) that doesn't in itself qualify it as a soul record. For me the musical and lyrical content must be of some significance as well. When "My Naughty Boy" emerged it was very much seen as the holy grail in its day. At the time one of the Stafford Mafia said to me: "You won't believe it when you hear it" and in many ways I still can't!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I can't understand why some want to get in a bidding war with so many days to go!

I think it's some bizzare little game, they score points on being the first one to bid!

Why else would someone open with $10 the day it appears, on something they know will fetch $100s!

Also, you find lots of the $10 first bidders never return to bid again later, crazy!

With regard to "The holy grail" Does anyone else think the lead singer (not Cecil) sounds Jamaican? Just something about his delivery of the lyric has a definate West Indies twang!

(Think Jimmy Cliff "Waterfall"- Terrible record I know!)

Social source share

Isn't the same group that did 'What goes up must come down'? Memory failing me at the moment.

IMO this is a great dancer, obviously white I'd say, and a belting toon. Sadly out of my price league as now a family man but one can but dream that the great soul man in the sky will smile on me next time I'm in the States rummaging through the racks of s***e in the local record co-op

Social source share

ARRFGGGHH!!! I've loved this record forEVER! The first record I heard at Cleethorpes this year, at it sent me as wild as it always does. It makes my heart stop for the duration and my feet never touch the ground. We never get to hear it up North. It's one of the most passionate dancers ever. 'On a solid fouundation'. It's a perfect dance record in EVERY WAY. Just the break into into the verse is worth the price alone. That last few strains as he yells 'this is my proposal' just kill me. Play it out and watch me melt. This is in my top 5 soul records of all time. Without doubt a hundred times better than 'I Don't Like..'. Doubtless Cecil Washington's finest hour. My English degree cannot produce the words to do justice to this record. If i ever die on a dancefloor it will be to this record. Now where's me chequebook?

Social source share

ARRFGGGHH!!! I've loved this record forEVER! The first record I heard at Cleethorpes this year, at it sent me as wild as it always does. It makes my heart stop for the duration and my feet never touch the ground. We never get to hear it up North. It's one of the most passionate dancers ever. 'On a solid fouundation'. It's a perfect dance record in EVERY WAY. Just the break into into the verse is worth the price alone. That last few strains as he yells 'this is my proposal' just kill me. Play it out and watch me melt. This is in my top 5 soul records of all time. Without doubt a hundred times better than 'I Don't Like..'. Doubtless Cecil Washington's finest hour. My English degree cannot produce the words to do justice to this record. If i ever die on a dancefloor it will be to this record. Now where's me chequebook?

I agree with every single word 100% I wish I could have put it so eloquently.

NickG

Social source share

With regard to "The holy grail" Does anyone else think the lead singer (not Cecil) sounds Jamaican? Just something about his delivery of the lyric has a definate West Indies twang! (Think Jimmy Cliff "Waterfall"- Terrible record I know!)

Very true! Reminds of the twang in Prince Busters voice

when he tries to sing those ballads ;-)

Social source share

So, it's a white guy with a speech impediment that makes him sound Jamaican who sings lead on it then? No wonder it went for £2000...

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I certainly think it's a grower, i wasn't massively impressed myself the first time i heard it (admitedly a dodgey tape) but after hearing it out a few times i was hooked.

I can see why it may not appeal to everyone and truth be told don't really know why it appeals to me, not my normal cup of tea i'd be the first to admit but appeal it does and i love it ;o)))

BTW I thought it would go for much more than that!!! Does anyone know who got it in the end or are we not allowed to talk about that sort of thangggg?

JoT

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The fact that you have asked me that question Christian has made me re-evaluate my sanity and i am infact booked in for a check up from the neck up later this afternoon purely on the basis that you are never wrong ;o)))

John

I didn't say i would even consider paying that much for the record personally!!!

It's no Natural Impulse for Gods sake;o)) All i said was that i thought it would go for more. Based on the fact that there are only a handful around on the scene at the moment (2, 3 or 4???) and it is a garaunteed floor filler and genuine rarity i expected a few of the name DJ's and collectors to have a punt on it that's all there are a lot of records that are much more readily available that go for more

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

The fact that you have asked me that question Christian has made me re-evaluate my sanity and i am infact booked in for a check up from the neck up later this afternoon purely on the basis that you are never wrong ;o)))

John

I didn't say i would even consider paying that much for the record personally!!!

It's no Natural Impulse for Gods sake;o))  All i said was that i thought it would go for more. Based on the fact that there are only a handful around on the scene at the moment (2, 3 or 4???) and it is a garaunteed floor filler and genuine rarity i expected a few of the name DJ's and collectors to have a punt on it that's all there are a lot of records that are much more readily available that go for more

Of course you're mad John, myself i'm a true basket-case... :-D

I know it's all about taste but i can't understand how anyone can't like this? The way he delivers the lyrics are really good and emotional, the song builds in a nice way e.tc. i think thise beats the living crap out of many of the highly praised rarities but i can admit one thing, it has a bit of garage-feel to it but then again that doesn't have to be a bad thing!!

best

Leo "straightjacket and padded walls" LyXXX

Social source share

So, it's a white guy with a speech impediment that makes him sound Jamaican who sings lead on it then? No wonder it went for £2000...

How much? Where is my nearest pressing plant?!

I've got it burnt on CD straight off an original and the vocal definitely does not have a Jamaican twang.

If you listen to - "Giving and taking from day to day" & Cecil sing "I'll walk right over you and I'll do it today", the Coconut chap has a higher voice, but it could be Cecil on backing vocals though.

Anybody have any more certain info on the lead vocalist?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!