Best Dj's 2010

Guest Brett F

Guest Brett F

Well this comes from my perspective and the channel of soul i care and love about.....

No particular order, but i've traveled far and wide to see and support these brilliant collectors of soul..

The Ripolles brothers, especially at Leicester..... Steve Guarnori and Steve Plumb at Yarmouth........if you don't go.then why ?

The Pinches brothers, John Benson and Mark Whiteley, made my Sundays at Doncaster extra fantastic, Wayne Arbon, Neil Forbes and all the Filthy Soul crowd at Monumental weekender (plus Flanny and Del from Brixton..wow ) ( the best in the UK last year for me)

Nev Griffiths..at Morecambe weekender..simply the best, also Paul Jones...a undersung hero of original soul, Hi-Fi White..wow enough said, Sean Hampsey at Just Soul, but more for the Sunday at Essence...Bettye Swann..as good as it gets...Mark Baildon and Paul Havakin for Manchester at taste of honey, these guys just push the boundaries...and teach me so much..Rey Villar. Going abroad Stefan Kubernus, Tim Ove and Lars Bulenheim..........Hamburg weekender kings of crossover, John Weston for being worse than me for drinking but maintaining incredible sets of records, also Mark 'Butch' Dobson for playing the greatest modern set i think i've ever heard in Hamburg..........but lastly and not least...for me the best of the bunch Andy 'Tats' Taylor for playing 'Just' soul of the highest order...

Thats my review of the year...whats yours.

Brett Franklin

Oh i forgot to add......they all play......ORIGINAL SOUL VINYL..........................

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Well this comes from my perspective and the channel of soul i care and love about.....

No particular order, but i've traveled far and wide to see and support these brilliant collectors of soul..

The Ripolles brothers, especially at Leicester..... Steve Guarnori and Steve Plumb at Yarmouth........if you don't go.then why ?

The Pinches brothers, John Benson and Mark Whiteley, made my Sundays at Doncaster extra fantastic, Wayne Arbon, Neil Forbes and all the Filthy Soul crowd at Monumental weekender ( the best in the UK last year for me)

Nev Griffiths..at Morecambe weekender..simply the best, also Paul Jones...a undersung hero of original soul, Hi-Fi White..wow enough said, Sean Hampsey at Just Soul, but more for the Sunday at Essence...Bettye Swann..as good as it gets...Mark Baildon and Paul Havakin for Manchester at taste of honey, these guys just push the boundaries...and teach me so much..Rey Villar. Going abroad Stefan Kubernus, Tim Ove and Lars Bulenheim..........Hamburg weekender kings of crossover, John Weston for being worse than me for drinking but maintaining incredible sets of records, also Mark 'Butch' Dobson for playing the greatest modern set i think i've ever heard in Hamburg..........but lastly and not least...for me the best of the bunch Andy 'Tats' Taylor for playing 'Just' soul of the highest order...

Thats my review of the year...whats yours.

Brett Franklin

Oh i forgot to add......they all play......ORIGINAL SOUL VINYL..........................

Happy Christmas Brett lol no collector should be without a pair of these.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.,

post-1475-0-10541700-1292966370_thumb.jp

Social source share

Happy Christmas Mark.........do you get out much these days..or is it just internet based......................wink.gif

Hi Brett.pretty much yes, been to two soul do's this year and about three last year, I really have lost my way with all things soulful, still dabble in the records but that's about it,looks like you are having fun and certainly going where all the quality action is judging by the names you have mentioned all top boy's no question.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

best dj's for 2010 for me were

Dave Ripolles at the gretastone and soul or nothing every time he plays you cant help but just go and peer over the turntables, Gerorge Mahood for his blending of funk with northern, at yarmouth for me it was Bretts afternoon spot on the saturday who says people wont dance in the afternoon, Brian Groucher also the afternoon spot, the evening dj's for me were the spanish lads briilliant mixing all sorts in, i dont get out as much as Brett my other favourites are John weston if enthusiasm alone made a Dj he should be up there at the top but he also plays some awesome tunes, i may be biased but Paul Havekin is streets ahead of a lot of so called big guns. Northern Nev an all round nice guy with fabulous taste in music. there are others i really like as Dj's Flanny, Pete best, Chic, Keith Money, steve Plumb, Steve Connor.

I'll stop now

mark

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

No contest, the most upfront and inventive DJs on the scene at the moment are:

Pat Bleasdale

Karl Heard

Sean Haydon

Killa

Dave Abbott

Ezzie Brown

Des Parker

...and several others.

In my opinion :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Not ventured that far and wide this year but of those I've heard play:

Butch (still absolutely head and shoulders IMHO, whatever the genre)

Andy D (keeps digging em out, old and new)

Dave Welding (every record is quality and danceable)

Jumpin Joan (how to string a set together i.e. not just 22 expensive records and get / keep a floor going)

Killa (always imaginative, thinks about it and knows what to play when)

Ion (only heard him once but enjoyed his set as much as any this year)

Thanks to all of em for some top nights out :thumbsup:

Phil

ps. Intent on a bit more travel next year and really looking forward to hearing the likes of Marc Forrest, Dave Abbott et al whose playlists always look good :D

Social source share

Not ventured that far and wide this year but of those I've heard play:

Butch (still absolutely head and shoulders IMHO, whatever the genre)

Andy D (keeps digging em out, old and new)

Dave Welding (every record is quality and danceable)

Jumpin Joan (how to string a set together i.e. not just 22 expensive records and get / keep a floor going)

Killa (always imaginative, thinks about it and knows what to play when)

Ion (only heard him once but enjoyed his set as much as any this year)

Thanks to all of em for some top nights out :thumbsup:

Phil

ps. Intent on a bit more travel next year and really looking forward to hearing the likes of Marc Forrest, Dave Abbott et al whose playlists always look good :D

gotta be said phil your set at burnley back in the summer takes some beating, never danced so much :lol:

Social source share

best dj's for 2010 for me were

Dave Ripolles at the gretastone and soul or nothing every time he plays you cant help but just go and peer over the turntables, Gerorge Mahood for his blending of funk with northern, at yarmouth for me it was Bretts afternoon spot on the saturday who says people wont dance in the afternoon, Brian Groucher also the afternoon spot, the evening dj's for me were the spanish lads briilliant mixing all sorts in, i dont get out as much as Brett my other favourites are John weston if enthusiasm alone made a Dj he should be up there at the top but he also plays some awesome tunes, i may be biased but Paul Havekin is streets ahead of a lot of so called big guns. Northern Nev an all round nice guy with fabulous taste in music. there are others i really like as Dj's Flanny, Pete best, Chic, Keith Money, steve Plumb, Steve Connor.

I'll stop now

mark

I don't think there's any other way to realise Dave is on than by peering over the decks.

Too proud to stand on a box like Butch. I remember back in 94 all clubbing together to buy him a grow-bag for Xmas.If it works for Spanish tomatoes....

I don't think I've ever come across a guy you could offload complete rubbish on with a more open ear for something good and playable.

ROD

Social source share

The sets that really stood out for me were Sean Hampsey on Saturday night at this year's Soul Essence, an absolutely outstanding flow of Soul Music. The usual suspect was particulary good at Lifeline back in springtime and in Bamberg, in both rooms, but particularily the small room. Andy Dyson was brilliant in the lounge at Soul Essence, proper deep soul! The radio has been strong this year with Sunday Morning Soul People, Soul Discovery with Mick O'Donnell and True Soul with Kenny Mac. As this thread was started by Brett I have to mention his set at Essence as well. Put on his first record turned round for a minute and then realised people were on the dance floor cueing a panicked look on his face! But finally Dave Thorley playing The Tamangoes on the Sunday in Bamberg will live long in the memory to anyone who was there! Here's to 2011 for more of the same, Ady

Social source share

Dj's that stand out for me this year are (besides the obvious one )

Jumping Joan

I found her sets so well put together and as mentioned by others they don't have to be expensive to be good , its all about a good flow and a great sence of what works for the floor and also throwing in stuff that nobody else plays. her sets are inspiring and imaginative.

Ted Massey

This guy seems to have everything I could ever wish for , he is more than capable of playing my dream set , he seems to have all the sofisticated soul sounds that are my personal favourites that I could never afford in a million years. hearing him play this year was like having my own private Pole dancer :D my ears were in ectacy.

MariaO - Most Glam D'Jessss

She still looks hot behind the decks and has a collection that sizzzzzzzzzzles............ please leave me Karmello in your will.

Social source share

Butch for me. His set(s) at Thorne simply showed why he is streets ahead of anyone else, not just the 60's but crossover, 70's, funky stuff, outstanding. He's constantly done the business at Lifeline and 100 Club. Andy Dyson his closest rival on the all-nighter scene still finding stuff not just for himself but others as well.

Too many others to mention have done the business this year.

Social source share

Dj's who have made my nights memorable this year

Karl Heard.....has the ability to create an atmopshere like no other reads the floor and the people! let him loose behind the decks and watch the place erupt

Jumpin Joan.......I've only seen Joan play twice and I've not heard her play a bad record yet. Super sounds put together in a way which gets the dancefloor rocking and the party started! I think Big Paul described Joan to me at Radcliffe as the female equivalent to Karl :thumbsup: , I know what he means now!

Clanger....... played a set at NWO which quite literally blew me away, hard edged funky soul all the way, I didn't leave the dancefloor once throughout his set except only to run up to the decks and ask what was being played

Good times in 2010 roll on 2011

Callum

Social source share

Butch for me. His set(s) at Thorne simply showed why he is streets ahead of anyone else, not just the 60's but crossover, 70's, funky stuff, outstanding. He's constantly done the business at Lifeline and 100 Club. Andy Dyson his closet rival on the all-nighter scene still finding stuff not just for himself but others as well.

Too many others to mention have done the business this year.

I have to agree with you Chalks....Butch's long set at Boomerang was truly top drawer.......the blend of soul from all periods was just perfect. The other DJ that hit the high notes for me was Ted Massey at SHSx2....60s only but how he read the floor was first class. Another guy who who stands out as a DJ is Pete Tebbutt.

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

joel maslin couple of occasions at 100 club. karl heard in sheffield last week. cliff steele early in the year.lifeline and burnley. and simon hunt anywhere he,s played he,s stood out a mile . and keith money for some of his sets at the 100 club this year.

Edited by whatsthiscalled
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!