Someone Doesn't Like Esther Phillips

Godzilla

Now I need to make it clear that I completely disagree with this Youtube users comments. Have to say I nearly wet myself reading it though....

she sounds like a goat her voice is extremely annoying, i can't tell but i think shes singing completely through her nose

I look at all the comments and im flabbergasted that anyone thinks shes good its terrible

she sounds like a dolphin or a goat i dont get it she sounds like a goat and i mean that literally she literally sounds like a goat

plz enlighten me

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I remember reading a comment somewhere that she sounds like a cat being strangled in the bath. Just listen to Just say goodbye (alt. title requiem for a cat)

Consider the comparison - it works!

I for one though am a big fan (of Esther, not strangling cats)

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

I wonder what music the commenter favours? Mind you, with that Boyle woman being No.1 in the album charts there's an awful lot of people out there with a terrible taste in music. huh.gif

Edited by TheSoulgirl
Social source share

Esther is right up there with the greats for me, her voice is unique. Not sure what kind of music the poster favours but he/she needs to put the Death metal bitch CD back & get some new ears. This gives me goosebumps .......................... & not a goat in site biggrin.gif

Social source share

Now I need to make it clear that I completely disagree with this Youtube users comments. Have to say I nearly wet myself reading it though....

she sounds like a goat her voice is extremely annoying, i can't tell but i think shes singing completely through her nose

I look at all the comments and im flabbergasted that anyone thinks shes good its terrible

she sounds like a dolphin or a goat i dont get it she sounds like a goat and i mean that literally she literally sounds like a goat

plz enlighten me

Sorry I love her voice, her version of "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" as always been in my all time top ten.

Dave.

PS I still get tingles in the back of my neck and in my cheeks everytime I hear it. just like you are going up on gear.

Social source share

Sorry I love her voice, her version of "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" as always been in my all time top ten.

Dave.

PS I still get tingles in the back of my neck and in my cheeks everytime I hear it. just like you are going up on gear.

thumbsup.gif:)

Social source share

Was the comment by Simon Cowell perhaps ??

Esther's voice is a unique instrument, not to everybodys taste,

but thats why we love this thing of ours

Tony

Agreed .

You either love her voice or do not .

I for one , fall into the first category .

Malc

Social source share

I wonder what music the commenter favours? Mind you, with that Boyle woman being No.1 in the album charts there's an awful lot of people out there with a terrible taste in music. :thumbsup:

Yep Karen, boil on my arse more like........................pure dross. Have a great, soulful Xmas. Tony and Sue. OZ.

Social source share

plz enlighten me

Tit :thumbsup:

Social source share

One of the major reasons that I love soul music as much as I do is for the very distinctiveness of the voices of most of the great soul singers: whether they be baritones tenors falsettos sopranos contraltos and so on, northern sophistication or southern bluesiness, east or west coast.

Tyrone Davis, Eddie Kendricks, Marvin Junior, Linda Jones, Gladys Knight and so on ... as soon as they sing the first note you know exactly who it is !

And Esther Phillips is one of those too , just fabulous !

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Dave.

I'm with you on this one, superb. (the gear too!) :thumbsup:

Ste.

Social source share

plz enlighten me

Tit :thumbsup:

Probably a Billy Vanilli fan.

Actually I bet he's had such bad taste since he was a Kid. Maybe we should Butt in and our intervention might force him to do a Ewe turn...

.... I'll get me Goat :lol:

Social source share

Probably a Billy Vanilli fan.

Actually I bet he's had such bad taste since he was a Kid. Maybe we should Butt in and our intervention might force him to do a Ewe turn...

.... I'll get me Goat :thumbup:

What the chap needs is educating .

As they say in these parts - " Thas got cloth ears owd cock , tha needs em fettling "

If after listening to this superb example of Esther's majesty , he still draws comparisons , there is no hope for the man .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuL8zlL-Rg4

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

What the chap needs is educating .

As they say in these parts - " Thas got cloth ears owd cock , tha needs em fettling "

If after listening to this superb example of Esther's majesty , he still draws comparisons , there is no hope for the man .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuL8zlL-Rg4

Malc

Soul/Jazz has its fair share of unique artists I wonder what the posteur thinks of Marlena Shaw, Nancy Wilson, Nina Simone or even Billie Holiday for that matter!

Social source share

Soul/Jazz has its fair share of unique artists I wonder what the poster thinks of Marlena Shaw, Nancy Wilson, Nina Simone or even Billie Holiday for that matter!

I would imagine the answer would be ................... " who :thumbup: ".

While we are on the subject of the great lady............... has there ever been a biography written about Esther? , this might ruffle a few feathers but i think Macy Gray has shades of Miss Phillips

Social source share

While we are on the subject of the great lady............... has there ever been a biography written about Esther? , this might ruffle a few feathers but i think Macy Gray has shades of Miss Phillips

Yes she certainly has.

Don't like her voice.

Social source share

Yes she certainly has.

Don't like her voice.

Smudger....................... its christmas eve , cheer up :lol:.

I somehow guessed you would`t like Miss Gray. i `m surprised you don`t like EP .... you normally like stuff not so run of the mill , if you get my drift.

Here`s one for ya Pete........... Esther with a Modern disco / soul number.......... i love this & i expect you will too !:thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNOXKdLDnGI

Social source share

Macy Gray - once (correctly) described as five parts Marge Simpson and one part Billie Holidayyes.gif

Social source share

Smudger....................... its christmas eve , cheer up :lol:.

I somehow guessed you would`t like Miss Gray. i `m surprised you don`t like EP .... you normally like stuff not so run of the mill , if you get my drift.

Here`s one for ya Pete........... Esther with a Modern disco / soul number.......... i love this & i expect you will too !:thumbup:

I didn't say I didn't like her, I do quite like her, but I can understand why anyone who hasn't heard her before would be a bit bemused by her voice!

I like the Macy Gray record with Fatboy Slim though.

Social source share

my fave by her...changin off an lp...sublime i have too play it at least twice, its in refosoul btw

From the aptly named "Good Black is Hard to Crack" on Mercury. Also recorded by Sharon Ridley on Tabu and there a recently issued version by Jesse James so she in good company

Social source share

Soul/Jazz has its fair share of unique artists I wonder what the posteur thinks of Marlena Shaw, Nancy Wilson, Nina Simone or even Billie Holiday for that matter!

I was lucky to catch Marlena Shaw in concert in the U.S. a couple of years ago : sheer magic .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I would imagine the answer would be ................... " who :wave: ".

Macy Gray has shades of EP ?

More like Marge Simpson .

Malc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!