The Wilton Needs More Support

Boxy

Hi Guys

Mouse and myself would like to wish everybody a soulful Christmas and New Year.

Thank you for your support throughout 2010, and we hope to see you all on 7th January, 2011, the first Wilton for the New Year. We desperately need more support.

There have been a few rumours about the Wilton closing. That is definitely not the case at the moment, but here's something for you to consider over the Christmas holidays.

We have had some great nights this year, but also we have had some poorly attended ones. This event is not cheap to stage and we worry that if attendances don't improve, how long we can carry on. We have dates for next year, our 18th year, but will be monitoring how this goes. We understand that we have much more competition now than in the past from other soul nights/Allnighters and Weekenders, some adopting the Wilton's original music policy. We still feel that this venue is second to none in the country and we will continue as long as possible. We have never been in this for the money, we are soul music fans/collectors of long standing and like you, love to hear something different. Play oldies and pack 'em in is not what we want, the Wilton has never been about that. We just need enough people to balance the books AND THE WILTON WILL CONTINUE.

Your comments on this would be appreciated.

See you soon

Mouse and Boxy

post-451-0-48477700-1293185846_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hi dave, hope you and mouse and gang ok :thumbup: .......as you know i attended very frequently for about 7 years on discovering the wilton,but now not so much at all........ friday nights , especially motorways are difficult these days, petrol a huge expense and the changing scene a factor,......... always got a buzz walking in the venue and loved the dance floor , will try and visit soon, good luck with it, regards , ezzie

Social source share

You will love it Phil.

If you need a lift I'm picking Rosemary up from Wyke so can gladly pick you up along the way x

Thanks. I'll be in Leeds already that evening in the car so no need this time, but add me to your outlook calendar so i can choose lifts during the rest of the year :thumbup:

Social source share

About time this was put up for all to see,so the bottom line is you don't support Wilton there will be no Wilton!

Mick had it right..............this is The Wilton...........nearly 18 year of carrying the torch for new music.If it were to go I think it would be the first nail in the coffin of the forward thinking side of the scene??Now Dave & Mouse have spelt it out for you all,no "if only" it's in black white WILTON NEEDS OUR SUPPORTS!!!!!!!

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I always had a great time D.J'ing and attending thru the 90's and will try to get up soon!

Us too Tone, it's about time the South London Massive carried out a cross-border crumpet raid into Yorkshire wink.gif And I haven't been since satnavs were invented so may not need to circle the area for hours looking for the venue either :lol: I'm already out on 7th Jan, but shall we make a big London turnout for 18th March?

Tee x

Social source share

Supported Mouse and crew since the early days at the Carlton club. Numbers have been down lately, and we all need to look at ourselves and realise what we have got on our doorstep. Top quality DJs with instructions to play what the hell they want, and a friendly and knowledgable crowd. Dont let this venue slip away from us, because once its gone its gone. One thing i do miss now is that damp stink on your clothes that the old place had, when i get home now my missis doesnt believe ive been to the Wilton.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Am i right in thinking that the music policy has changed from what it was back in the days when the Wilton was rocking every month?

If so then surely it's time to bring back the old music policy. It may take a while to build the numbers up again but if people know that when they come to the Wilton they are going to hear the original music policy then surley it will attract the poeple who used to attend regularly + new punters. If it's not been working for a while maybe time for a change?

I've been to Wilton 3 times and enjoyed it mainly because i've met some great people and heard some real stand out tunes while i've been there...especially when Karl, Andy D and Joan played. However in terms of atmosphere and going out expecting to be on the floor most of the night....it didn't happen for me.

A shame because everyone i speak to says how great the Wilton was and I must add the venue is outstanding and deserves a bigger crowd

I wonder why the numbers are low from what it used to be?

Callum

Social source share

The music policy has always been what it is, DJ's playing what they want with the emphasis on something different. Collectors and "name" Dj's all on the same night playing imaginative sets and not the same old same.

So many missing last night, plenty of regulars not there, some who said they are going not turning up. No other all-nighter this weekend :thumbsup: The weather wasn't too bad either, if Willie and Melv can make it dunno why some who are nearer can't make it.

If the next one which is the venues 18th Anniversary isn't a success I fear it will be too late. It is the best venue in the country, ideal for an all-nighter.

Social source share

The music policy has always been what it is, DJ's playing what they want with the emphasis on something different. Collectors and "name" Dj's all on the same night playing imaginative sets and not the same old same.

So many missing last night, plenty of regulars not there, some who said they are going not turning up. No other all-nighter this weekend :thumbsup: The weather wasn't too bad either, if Willie and Melv can make it dunno why some who are nearer can't make it.

If the next one which is the venues 18th Anniversary isn't a success I fear it will be too late. It is the best venue in the country, ideal for an all-nighter.

I am one of those people. Shame on me. I did have a good reason though - had an assignment due in and the deadline was 12am this morning.

I have another due in on Monday. Last minute as always. Will I ever learn :thumbsup:

I must admit the Wilton of old did used to be rocking! Might that be down to the venue itself needing to have a full house to generate atmosphere? I don't know.

What I do know is shame on us if it does go.

Social source share

No shame on anyone Joan, all-nighters and real life don't always mix , I can vouch for that myself just lately. We also have seven day working weeks nowadays with many having to work Saturdays, we have kids and we are not as young as we used to be. Work is one of the reasons I rarely go anywhere on a Friday and I'm lucky the Wilton is just up the road.

The place definitely needs a full house next time. 18th Anniversary with it's usual double decking special.

Brian Goucher & Mike Charlton,

Joan and Ted Massey,

Roger Banks & Saus,

Karl Heard & Karl Rhodes,

Soul Sam & Arthur Fenn

Andy Dyson and myself.

If that line up isn't good enough then I don't know what is to be honest.

18th March 2011 9.00pm until 7.00am. Free badge an all for the 1st 150 in :thumbsup:

Please be there or we might just regret it :thumbsup:

Social source share

I do remember though that the top half was rarely used in years gone by and I did suggest to Mouse that it is closed off all the way across and the record dealers brought down to the bottom like they used to be across the front of the dance floor in front of the bar.

Social source share

I do remember though that the top half was rarely used in years gone by and I did suggest to Mouse that it is closed off all the way across and the record dealers brought down to the bottom like they used to be across the front of the dance floor in front of the bar.

Yes maybe if it was a little more intimate it might help.

Maybe a 6am finish might be an idea? People always seem to leave early which is understandable with it being on a Friday night. People have work on Saturdays.

Social source share

Yes maybe if it was a little more intimate it might help.

Maybe a 6am finish might be an idea? People always seem to leave early which is understandable with it being on a Friday night. People have work on Saturdays.

I did suggest a 6am finish too, start at 10.

Social source share

So many missing last night, plenty of regulars not there, some who said they are going not turning up. No other all-nighter this weekend :hatsoff2: The weather wasn't too bad either, if Willie and Melv can make it dunno why some who are nearer can't make it.

You're right about the venue mate, it is great and i would love to see it packed with 200+ people. Although the music policy of being creative and not playing the same old, maybe it's the tempo of music thats being played? What I mean is Maybe more focus on uptempo but at the same time being imaginative whether it's a 60's, 70's, Funky, Northern, Rnb, Latin with a smittering of Mid-Tempo records to break the records up. I love mid-tempo but it has to have some balls about it, infact all the records have to have balls about them IMO!

When people say to me rocking, I Imagine the dancefloor packed and the sounds being spun are uptempo..thats just my perception. When I go out to a niter I want to be on the dancefloor all-night IMO it's the uptempo tunes that get poeple on the dancefloor hatsoff2.gif .

I'll do my best to be at the next nighter, it looks like a top line up and there's a few dj's on that i haven't heard before. It's always good to hear new dj's/sounds being played

p.s - maybe in addition to a badge a cd might attract a few more punters :hatsoff2:

Callum

Social source share

Guest Drewes

Us too Tone, it's about time the South London Massive carried out a cross-border crumpet raid into Yorkshire :thumbup: And I haven't been since satnavs were invented so may not need to circle the area for hours looking for the venue either :hatsoff2: I'm already out on 7th Jan, but shall we make a big London turnout for 18th March?

Tee x

Does that mean you could venture via deepest darkest Lincolnshire?????? ("-") :hatsoff2::thumbsup:thumbsup.gif x

Social source share

So many missing last night, plenty of regulars not there, some who said they are going not turning up. No other all-nighter this weekend no.gif The weather wasn't too bad either, if Willie and Melv can make it dunno why some who are nearer can't make it.

I don't agree, now its obscurity over dance music if you know what i mean........then what would i know, did one spot to a more than happy packed floor and was frontdoorman for yonks.................in short,it's gone all too serious biggrin.gif

Social source share

I don't agree, now its obscurity over dance music if you know what i mean........then what would i know, did one spot to a more than happy packed floor and was frontdoor man for yonks.................it's gone all too serious biggrin.gif

Hi Ken,

Hope your well mate thumbsup.gif

A little off topic here but linked slightly to "obscurity over dance music" - check out my last played clip, thats obscurity over dance music IMO......it was listed today for 4k :hatsoff2: . Just think of the records you could buy with that ....I'd be having a george curtis and a johnathan capree with enough to buy a few more lesser known tunes

Callum

Social source share

next one march..........marvellous !!

I missed friday cos of a 50th birthday and 25th wedding anniversary,

now will miss march cos of my niece's wedding on the saturday...........things just seem to go against you at times,

was looking forward to reading feedback from friday but it appears it was not as ''hot'' as some had hoped,

that said,as Chalky says one of the best lineups you will see anywhere for the anniversary ,

I love the place,people,music and still one of the best places to buy records IMO

Social source share

No shame on anyone Joan, all-nighters and real life don't always mix , I can vouch for that myself just lately. We also have seven day working weeks nowadays with many having to work Saturdays, we have kids and we are not as young as we used to be. Work is one of the reasons I rarely go anywhere on a Friday and I'm lucky the Wilton is just up the road.

The place definitely needs a full house next time. 18th Anniversary with it's usual double decking special.

Brian Goucher & Mike Charlton,

Joan and Ted Massey,

Roger Banks & Saus,

Karl Heard & Karl Rhodes,

Soul Sam & Arthur Fenn

Andy Dyson and myself.

If that line up isn't good enough then I don't know what is to be honest.

18th March 2011 9.00pm until 7.00am. Free badge an all for the 1st 150 in :ohmy:

Please be there or we might just regret it :rolleyes:

I WAS ALWAYS A REGULAR FROM THE FIRST EVER ONE IN 93 FOR MANY YEARS BUT MUCH TO MY DETRIMENT IVE NOT BEEN SINCE I DJ`D IN NOV 2006. IT WAS THEN SHUT DOWN FOR THE REFURB SO I VE STILL NOT SEEN THE REFURBISHED WILTON. THIS YEAR I WAS GONNA MAKE A SPECIAL EFFORT SO I`M DEFFO GONNA MAKE ONE FOR THE 18TH ANNIVERSARY DESPITE THE DODGY DJ LINE UP LOL :lol:

DAVE

Social source share

next one march..........marvellous !!

I missed friday cos of a 50th birthday and 25th wedding anniversary,

now will miss march cos of my niece's wedding on the saturday...........things just seem to go against you at times,

was looking forward to reading feedback from friday but it appears it was not as ''hot'' as some had hoped,

that said,as Chalky says one of the best lineups you will see anywhere for the anniversary ,

I love the place,people,music and still one of the best places to buy records IMO

i feel a bit of a wat for not contributing a lookback. But then i cant put a name to me dog after the week ive jus had.. I couldnt post a tracklist of what i heard if i tried . Most who attend know what they,ll hear and if you havent been before , well you know... the organisers have been promoting dj ing collecting and serving the interests of anyone , artist relative of artist, archiver of vinyl, punter , anorak and the downright nosey to universal satisfaction for longer than they might care for me to mention. ( look at the thread on here about normanton baths tapes for eveidence). usually frequented by people who know and are still interested . what i recall about friday night was one particular dj, foregoing spiining a track as another on after him has a copy and would probably play it . Damon fox ,s packing up was the track anyway . just thought that seemed to sumup an attitude which says nothing, n particular but demonstrates everything about this place and the people who go.first time i went was about twelve years ago . living in epsom surrey then , and for two solid hours that night , there was not a single tune i was familiar with. sice then i have joined the ranks of punters who emphasise tempo as a means of complaint about hearing music thats unfamiliar to them.Ive now learned to leave expectation and subsequent dissapointment on the motorway . What an irony then if with so much in the diary , a place such as the wilton has to shut because its not able to cover the cost of putting the night on. i just want to thank mouse , boxy , val and the other lassie on the door ( apologies , dunno your name), for a night of sublime quality music.and everyone who got up and played , just doesnt get better than friday .See you in march.

Social source share

Chalks

Another good point...........I'd been going years before I even knew there was anything behind them curtains :rolleyes:

Would make people sit at the tables nearer the dancefloor which may entice them onto the dancefloor more ofter????

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

I don't agree, now its obscurity over dance music if you know what i mean........then what would i know, did one spot to a more than happy packed floor and was frontdoorman for yonks.................in short,it's gone all too serious biggrin.gif

Totally agree with kenny on this one, but then like kenny what do i know, lol

Social source share

ok i never went on friday and i have been to most wiltons but it seems all my old travelling mates have opted for other venues and other things in life which are important,i agree with callum on some points i could dance allnite to uptempo records when i was 24 years old but the wilton crowd are not of that age group. a good mix of tempos does it for me. i think to much midtempo puts a downer on the night also. people only do and go where they want and nothing will change that. it is a fantastic venue the promoters and the punters are genuine people, but over kill on the scene has fooked it right up the once underground scene has lost its sparkle and untill most of the new soul nties go i cant see things getting much better. , but the next wilton is a must even if i have to go on my own,col

Social source share

ok i never went on friday and i have been to most wiltons but it seems all my old travelling mates have opted for other venues and other things in life which are important,i agree with callum on some points i could dance allnite to uptempo records when i was 24 years old but the wilton crowd are not of that age group. a good mix of tempos does it for me. i think to much midtempo puts a downer on the night also. people only do and go where they want and nothing will change that. it is a fantastic venue the promoters and the punters are genuine people, but over kill on the scene has fooked it right up the once underground scene has lost its sparkle and untill most of the new soul nties go i cant see things getting much better. , but the next wilton is a must even if i have to go on my own,col

col. why didnt you give us a ring.you no im on my own i was going to give nev a lift but he was still poorly,even if theres a couple of you its a five seater :lol:laugh.gif i assumed youd be with john and kev or daz....if your stuck for march ring us..only thing i stop till end....keith

Social source share

col. why didnt you give us a ring.you no im on my own i was going to give nev a lift but he was still poorly,even if theres a couple of you its a five seater :lol:laugh.gif i assumed youd be with john and kev or daz....if your stuck for march ring us..only thing i stop till end....keith

just read this back and it makes sound like billy no mates laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif keith

Social source share

Chalks

Another good point...........I'd been going years before I even knew there was anything behind them curtains biggrin.gif

Would make people sit at the tables nearer the dancefloor which may entice them onto the dancefloor more ofter????

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn hope your well mate wink.gif

Totally agree with Chalky's idea of making the venue more intimate, it's sure to add to the atmosphere but surely it's the music that entices people onto the dancefloor? Saying that I remember a dj forget his name now but he played Vee Vee - I'm your fool which for me if that doesn't want to make you want to dance then it's game over yes.gif , there was only myself, Simon Mcmaster and one other on the floor..... ohmy.gif !

Col - All being well I've got 18th March pencilled in so if you need a lift mate give me a shout, I'll more than likely be driving down with a few others from the NE.......

Uptempo all the way with the exception of a couple of mid-tempo beauties dropped in at the right time = the right balance imo!

See you on the 18th :lol:

Callum

Social source share

Chalks

Another good point...........I'd been going years before I even knew there was anything behind them curtains biggrin.gif

Cheers

Martyn

curtains??? what curtains :lol:laugh.gif we maybe getting older but surly we can manage the 5 yards to the dancefloor laugh.giflaugh.gif keith..ps...if you dont go past curtains is it any cheaper in....

Social source share

Chalks

Another good point...........I'd been going years before I even knew there was anything behind them curtains :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

I did mention it to Mouse, pull the curtains right across, move the leather chairs to the litle bit at the top of the steps, in front of the dance-floor out the record dealers. Thats how it used to be.

The only thing I have against the suggestion of 4am finish is it might deter travellers?? Anybody who travels got an opinion as it is you it would affect. I would certainly look at 6 maybe 5am finish starting no later than 10, maybe 9? If it was to finish at 4 then I would opt for an 8pm start and entice some of soul night crowd in as well.

Social source share

Totally agree with Chalky's idea of making the venue more intimate, it's sure to add to the atmosphere but surely it's the music that entices people onto the dancefloor? Saying that I remember a dj forget his name now but he played Vee Vee - I'm your fool which for me if that doesn't want to make you want to dance then it's game over yes.gif , there was only myself, Simon Mcmaster and one other on the floor..... ohmy.gif !

Col - All being well I've got 18th March pencilled in so if you need a lift mate give me a shout, I'll more than likely be driving down with a few others from the NE.......

Uptempo all the way with the exception of a couple of mid-tempo beauties dropped in at the right time = the right balance imo!

Callum

It is the music as well as the company that make the night.

There has been times when the emphasis has been too much on the 70's and crossover side, not long ago there was nearly three hours at the peak time, great DJ's playing great records but totally the wrong choice for the time of the night and very few on the dance floor. It was until Joan came on that the dance-floor filled up, I was stood with Dave and I mention this then and he agreed with me.

It has to be a blend of styles not an over emphasis of one or the other. It has to get back to records that fill the floor but they also have to be what the Wilton has always been about, imagination and the balls to try something new, a mixture of the 60's and 70's but the music has to be danceable and flow! For the first few hours it has to be uptempo dancers to get everyone in the mood, folk don't want bringing down no.gif:hypo: Thats how I see the policy of any all-nighter, not just the Wilton.

I'm sure Mouse and Dave will read this topic so give them your thoughts as long as they are constructive. Mouse always says it belongs to those who attend the all-nighter so don't sit there and let the place fade away, tell him what you think, what you want from the night and above all lets make the anniversary a night to remember. 18 years old, the Wilton comes of age thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Chalky

I'd go further then that..........9 til 5..........or even 8 til 4.

This then opens it up to a wider audience in the respect of some who don't do nighters or people who work etc.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I understand what you're saying, but let's rewind a bit.

When we opened up after the refurb, the Wilton started at 9pm. The Frobisher had just closed and we thought we would pick up on the Frobisher crowd early doors and persuade the nighter crowd to come early. We even did a deal on the price at the door - leave before 1.30am and get a £5.00 refund. The first night was fantastic, dance floor full all night, lots of new and old faces in from the start. Cracked it, we thought. Next Wilton almost half the numbers attended and as time when on things didn't improve. Between 9pm - 11pm the place was almost empty, the Frobisher crowd deciding that they didn't do nighters and our regulars chose to stay in the pub until closing time. Regarding finishing time, once there, people can leave when they want. After a while we reluctanly decided to go back to 11pm start but retained 7.00am finish. We closed the curtain off to make the venue smaller but retained an area for the dealers. The seating area off the dance floor is much smaller since the refurb, trying to accommodate all the dealers in front of the bar or close to the toilets just wouldn't work.

Before the refurb we had a large area where the toilets are now situated and I'm sure the management would not allow us to change things due to the congestion it would cause in front of the bar.

Getting people in prompt at 11pm would be an achievement, what time they leave is their choice. The nighter venue will cost the same whatever time we start or finish.

Finishing at 6.00am may be an idea, it would save Mouse and myself playing to 20 or less people on the last hour, but usually there are some people still there dancing, but this wouldn't save us any money appart from one DJ's wages and if we start earlier even that would be cancelled out.

We appreciate all the sugestions but it's the numbers attending that's the problem, how do we attracted more people? I look at the empty dance floor on most nights and think, if we managed to attract a few new faces they're not going want to come back to a venue with no atmosphere where people on the dance floor doesn't seem to be important. As for our regulars, we are all getting older and dancing isn't as important as it was. I looked round the venue on Friday at many people who haven't set foot on a dance floor in years.

18 years is a very long time, many people have grown up at the venue and others have grown old. Musically nothing has changed, just the best that soul music can offer, Dj's playing what they want, no restrictions. The tunes that were played at Wilton years ago are now played at soul nights every weekend all over the UK.

Yes, that's the main problem - too many venues, nighters, weekenders and soul nights, so much to choose from and as people get older, many more convienent and closer to home.

We are probably the victims of our own success.

Social source share

I did mention it to Mouse, pull the curtains right across, move the leather chairs to the litle bit at the top of the steps, in front of the dance-floor out the record dealers. Thats how it used to be.

The only thing I have against the suggestion of 4am finish is it might deter travellers?? Anybody who travels got an opinion as it is you it would affect. I would certainly look at 6 maybe 5am finish starting no later than 10, maybe 9? If it was to finish at 4 then I would opt for an 8pm start and entice some of soul night crowd in as well.

Chalks

That's what I mean,early start opens it up to more people & that's just what is needed.I'm not sure a 4am would deter the travellers as it's late enough to make it worth your while even if they don't get there a little later then the earlier start??

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Callum

Hey Up Callum

You're right about the music making people dance but with Wilton not having a music policy you are at the mercy of each dj,personally that's a plus to me but not all appreciate that range of music this sometimes can produce.Other venues with an up-tempo policy have gone to the wall in the past so I'm not sure it's that simple.I think Wilton's problems are more complex & think it's a wider problem of the nighter scene in general???

Take care matey & hope to catch up soon.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I personally think trying to cater for a soul night crowd and an allnighter crowd won't work, two different animals really, for a start the soul night crowd are not as open minded IMHO and prefer to hear things they are familiar with.

I certainly think bringing the record dealers down will help things, either put them across the front of the stage like they used to be or in the corner near the door and at the side of the toilets. Those who don't buy or sell records can utilise the little bit at the top of the stairs in front of the curtains (room for all the comfy leather chairs etc in front of the dance floor). When it is busy around the dealers it takes quite a few people away from the main area of action. I personally don't think it will interfere with the bar too much. It only takes 5 minutes to rearrange the furniture and five minutes to put it back.

Social source share

Hi Martyn

I understand what you're saying, but let's rewind a bit.

When we opened up after the refurb, the Wilton started at 9pm. The Frobisher had just closed and we thought we would pick up on the Frobisher crowd early doors and persuade the nighter crowd to come early. We even did a deal on the price at the door - leave before 1.30am and get a £5.00 refund. The first night was fantastic, dance floor full all night, lots of new and old faces in from the start. Cracked it, we thought. Next Wilton almost half the numbers attended and as time when on things didn't improve. Between 9pm - 11pm the place was almost empty, the Frobisher crowd deciding that they didn't do nighters and our regulars chose to stay in the pub until closing time. Regarding finishing time, once there, people can leave when they want. After a while we reluctanly decided to go back to 11pm start but retained 7.00am finish. We closed the curtain off to make the venue smaller but retained an area for the dealers. The seating area off the dance floor is much smaller since the refurb, trying to accommodate all the dealers in front of the bar or close to the toilets just wouldn't work.

Before the refurb we had a large area where the toilets are now situated and I'm sure the management would not allow us to change things due to the congestion it would cause in front of the bar.

Getting people in prompt at 11pm would be an achievement, what time they leave is their choice. The nighter venue will cost the same whatever time we start or finish.

Finishing at 6.00am may be an idea, it would save Mouse and myself playing to 20 or less people on the last hour, but usually there are some people still there dancing, but this wouldn't save us any money appart from one DJ's wages and if we start earlier even that would be cancelled out.

We appreciate all the sugestions but it's the numbers attending that's the problem, how do we attracted more people? I look at the empty dance floor on most nights and think, if we managed to attract a few new faces they're not going want to come back to a venue with no atmosphere where people on the dance floor doesn't seem to be important. As for our regulars, we are all getting older and dancing isn't as important as it was. I looked round the venue on Friday at many people who haven't set foot on a dance floor in years.

18 years is a very long time, many people have grown up at the venue and others have grown old. Musically nothing has changed, just the best that soul music can offer, Dj's playing what they want, no restrictions. The tunes that were played at Wilton years ago are now played at soul nights every weekend all over the UK.

Yes, that's the main problem - too many venues, nighters, weekenders and soul nights, so much to choose from and as people get older, many more convienent and closer to home.

We are probably the victims of our own success.

Dave

Well answered,we're all just trying to help.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I personally think trying to cater for a soul night crowd and an allnighter crowd won't work, two different animals really, for a start the soul night crowd are not as open minded IMHO and prefer to hear things they are familiar with.

I certainly think bringing the record dealers down will help things, either put them across the front of the stage like they used to be or in the corner near the door and at the side of the toilets. Those who don't buy or sell records can utilise the little bit at the top of the stairs in front of the curtains (room for all the comfy leather chairs etc in front of the dance floor). When it is busy around the dealers it takes quite a few people away from the main area of action. I personally don't think it will interfere with the bar too much. It only takes 5 minutes to rearrange the furniture and five minutes to put it back.

Chalks

I wasn't really thinking of aiming it at soul night crowd but the old nighter goers who have lapsed for whatever reason.I know of a few as I would think you do who still have that nighter ethic but just can't do nighters anymore.But Dave's made the point that it's been tried & wasn't a great success.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!