The Wilton Needs More Support

Boxy

Had a PM from a guy who I'm sure was trying to help with the Wilton:

I have read your PM and here are my comments.

With regard to your comments about Mouse and myself not attending other venues, we may not attend the same venues as you, but we do attend

other venues and we know exactty what music policies are adopted throughout the UK . I for one have been collecting soul records, Djing/promoting since 1967, but having said all that, no amount of experience would change the situation at the Wilton.

We do not tell the DJ's what to play, they play what they want, a policy which has been in place for 18 years.

Mouse and myself do the promoting duties, we book the dates and the DJ's, do the advertising, set up the sound equipment and open the doors.

Yes we do play sets at the venue, usually the first set and the last, leaving the prime spots for the guests.

Our music policy is in the hands of our guest DJ's. Some of our regular DJs are very well known and have guest spots all over the country. In fact one is Karl Heard, one of Burnley's new promoters, another is Jumping Joan who is guesting at your opening night, others guesting on your opening night have done sets in the past at the Wilton.

To compare comments about a venue like the Wilton in its 18th year with the comments on a Soul Source thread for a future opening night at Burnley is very foolish,

I really don't think that we can do anything more about the situation at the Wilton. Friday nights is one problem, it didn't seem to matter in the past, we didn't have the competition. We depend on travellers, the Wilton is out in the sticks, hence the cost of fuel and more people working Saturdays to make ends meet, takes its toll on numbers. Lots off other venues are suffering decreasing numbers as Burnley did in the past.

Maybe you should come to Wilton on the 18th anniversary, Friday 18th March and see for yourself what's wrong with the venue, we have a great line up which includes Karl Heard & Jumping Joan - you might just enjoy it, bring your little gang and swell the numbers on a night so critical for the future of the Wilton Allnighter. One thing I can guarantee - we will not be trying to tell the DJ's what to play.

Mouse has asked me to give you his contact numbers as he has no internet connection at the moment. He would like to discuss with you what you had to say in your PM. 01924 894384 or 07717 338009.

I am sure you were only trying to be helpful but some of your comments were a little upsetting after putting all our efforts into trying to make Friday's Wilton a success and the final accounts still making a loss.

Boxy

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Had a PM from a guy who I'm sure was trying to help with the Wilton:

I have read your PM and here are my comments.

With regard to your comments about Mouse and myself not attending other venues, we may not attend the same venues as you, but we do attend

other venues and we know exactty what music policies are adopted throughout the UK . I for one have been collecting soul records, Djing/promoting since 1967, but having said all that, no amount of experience would change the situation at the Wilton.

We do not tell the DJ's what to play, they play what they want, a policy which has been in place for 18 years.

Mouse and myself do the promoting duties, we book the dates and the DJ's, do the advertising, set up the sound equipment and open the doors.

Yes we do play sets at the venue, usually the first set and the last, leaving the prime spots for the guests.

Our music policy is in the hands of our guest DJ's. Some of our regular DJs are very well known and have guest spots all over the country. In fact one is Karl Heard, one of Burnley's new promoters, another is Jumping Joan who is guesting at your opening night, others guesting on your opening night have done sets in the past at the Wilton.

To compare comments about a venue like the Wilton in its 18th year with the comments on a Soul Source thread for a future opening night at Burnley is very foolish,

I really don't think that we can do anything more about the situation at the Wilton. Friday nights is one problem, it didn't seem to matter in the past, we didn't have the competition. We depend on travellers, the Wilton is out in the sticks, hence the cost of fuel and more people working Saturdays to make ends meet, takes its toll on numbers. Lots off other venues are suffering decreasing numbers as Burnley did in the past.

Maybe you should come to Wilton on the 18th anniversary, Friday 18th March and see for yourself what's wrong with the venue, we have a great line up which includes Karl Heard & Jumping Joan - you might just enjoy it, bring your little gang and swell the numbers on a night so critical for the future of the Wilton Allnighter. One thing I can guarantee - we will not be trying to tell the DJ's what to play.

Mouse has asked me to give you his contact numbers as he has no internet connection at the moment. He would like to discuss with you what you had to say in your PM. 01924 894384 or 07717 338009.

I am sure you were only trying to be helpful but some of your comments were a little upsetting after putting all our efforts into trying to make Friday's Wilton a success and the final accounts still making a loss.

Boxy

Hi Dave & Mouse

I don't think you'll have any problem filling the Wilton on the 18th March as it always brings people out of the woodwork, and rightly so, I just wish some of the attendees would make it more than annually but I guess times have changed and people don't have as much money to throw around plus they have responsibilities also there's more allnighters & weekenders then ever before :hatsoff2:

I don't know the answer as to why the Wiltons of the last 12 months haven't been as busy as previous but I do feel the timing of Fridays straight after the christmas break was a contributing factor as to why it wasn't the packer we had hoped for.

Socially I loved Fridays Wilton but musically, for me, there was too much mid-tempo & unknown stuff. Whilst this is great for the many d.j's that were there as punters (it was like a ruddy d.j convention on Friday :wave: ) the dancers need to go away satisfied & I personally didnt. I'm not knocking ANY of the d.j's as they all have fabulous collections and should be allowed to play them but, for me, it would have been better balancing their sets with some floorfillers too :hatsoff2: I know you as promoters have no control over this but if any d.j's for the future Wilton's reads this pleaaaase mix it up so us dancers can go away satisfied as well you collectors.

I do agree with Chalkys idea of moving the current location of the record dealers , but maybe not for 18th March as I know this will be a packer :lol: I didn't even venture up that end on Friday so missed out on giving Pikey's Dog a big fat hug & a few others (weren't they the lucky ones)

18 years !!!!! the Wilton has been going so please Dave & Mouse, don't despair. No other nighter in the North can claim that title & whilst everyone may be excited about new nighters & weekenders starting as it's all fresh you have to remember you have been there & done it & I'm not sure many of the new breed will be saying that in 18 years, 10 years or even 5!!. You'll get through this dip so please don't give up. 18th March will not be problem, the anniversaries never are, you need to concentrate on the ones after & with everyone's help you will get the numbers back at the Wilton

Hope this post helps but if not charge me double in March :wave:

Ali x

Who's keeping her faith in the Wilton thumbsup.gif

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Boxy

Proberly the main problem for lots of folks, i know 100% i can't afford to go on me own £70 in petrol, and no-one likes me...............driving biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hi Dave & Mouse

I don't think you'll have any problem filling the Wilton on the 18th March as it always brings people out of the woodwork, and rightly so, I just wish some of the attendees would make it more than annually but I guess times have changed and people don't have as much money to throw around plus they have responsibilities also there's more allnighters & weekenders then ever before :hatsoff2:

I don't know the answer as to why the Wiltons of the last 12 months haven't been as busy as previous but I do feel the timing of Fridays straight after the christmas break was a contributing factor.

Socially I loved Fridays Wilton but musically, for me, there was too much mid-tempo & unknown stuff. Whilst this is great for the many d.j's that were there as punters (it was like a ruddy d.j convention on Friday :wave: ) the dancers need to go away satisfied & I personally didnt. I'm not knocking ANY of the d.j's as they all have fabulous collections and should be allowed to play them but, for me, it would have been better balancing their sets with some floorfillers too :hatsoff2: I know you as promoters have no control over this but if any d.j's for the future Wilton's reads this pleaaaase mix it up so us dancers can go away satisfied as well you collectors.

I do agree with Chalkys idea of moving the current location of the record dealers , but maybe not for 18th March as I know this will be a packer :lol: I didn't even venture up that end on Friday so missed out on giving Pikey's Dog a big fat hug & a few others (weren't they the lucky ones)

18 years !!!!! the Wilton has been going so please Dave & Mouse, don't despair. No other nighter in the North can claim that title & whilst everyone may be excited about new nighters & weekenders starting as it's all fresh you have to remember you have been there & done it & I'm not sure many of the new breed will be saying that in 18 years, 10 years or even 5!!. You'll get through this dip so please don't give up. 18th March will not be problem, the anniversaries never are, you need to concentrate on the ones after & with everyone's help you will get the numbers back at the Wilton

Hope this post helps but if not charge me double in March :wave:

Ali x

Who's keeping her faith in the Wilton thumbsup.gif

Thanks Alison, you're a Star. Wish we had 100 like you and your gang, our problems with the numbers attending and the dance floor would be solved.

Thanks for your comments: Yes your entrance fee will be double and your badge will be given to charity.:wave:

See you at the Anniversary

Boxy & Mouse

Edited by Boxy
Social source share

Guest Ranger

Interesting and constructive thread so far, I hope it stays in a postive vein. For what it's worth here are a few thought's on some of the things that have been discussed.

The venue is superb and well maintained (clean toilets !!!) just the right size for a medium sized nighter. The location is a distinct advantage. 5 minutes from the M62 and inbetween it's junctions with the A1 and M1. It's certainly more accessible than a lot of places.

There are a lot of external factors coming together at the moment which are starting to hit the scene and will get worse in the future. It's a bit pointless dicussing these though unless you can persuade the government to change it's policies or invent a time machine to make us all 20+ years younger.

I think relocating the record sales area is crucial on so many levels. Why not put them close to the entrance doors. The biggest table in the entire venue is where the lovely door ladies sit. Shorten that to a small table put the record dealers next to and opposite them. Put any overspill in the space between the toilets and the bar. Early doors on Friday half the punters were in the record area so the place looked empty when you walked in.

The music policy is a dificult one, personally I like the variety that's on offer but as I don't dance much any more I'm looking at it from a different perspective to those who do. There's no doubt that a full floor is probably the most important factor in creating an atmosphere so whilst i'm fully supportive of giving DJs full freedom in what they play but those DJs have to bear in mind that they're still responsible for a decently active dance floor.

In a way one of the main strengths of The Wilton, it's open music policy, is also it's weakness. Apart from here I'm not a big nighter goer but looking at the DJ rosters for some of the other venues they have more residents and fewer guests. This, i presume, leads to a greater consistency from one night to the next. At The Wilton, a higher proportion of guests means each night is different to the last, in some cases substantially different. Again it's something I like but it won't appeal to everyone, particularly I suspect the dancers.

Changing the start & finish times has so many pro's & con's i can't see any change that would attract substantially more punters than it would lose. Maybe a 10pm start and 6am finish might help though as it may encourage those who leave at 5ish to stay 'till the end.

Mouse said to me on Friday that we're all stakeholders in the Wilton and he needs to know what we think as long as the comments are constructive. It's noticeable that the majority of the posts have come from Wilton regulars. We're already sold on the place so in a way our opinions aren't that important, we really need to hear why people have stopped going or if they've tried it recently why haven't they come back. There were almost 3000 views on this and the Wilton events thread before Friday but the increase in punters was nowhere near the numbers that level of interest might suggest.

Kev

Social source share

Interesting and constructive thread so far, I hope it stays in a postive vein. For what it's worth here are a few thought's on some of the things that have been discussed.

The venue is superb and well maintained (clean toilets !!!) just the right size for a medium sized nighter. The location is a distinct advantage. 5 minutes from the M62 and inbetween it's junctions with the A1 and M1. It's certainly more accessible than a lot of places.

There are a lot of external factors coming together at the moment which are starting to hit the scene and will get worse in the future. It's a bit pointless dicussing these though unless you can persuade the government to change it's policies or invent a time machine to make us all 20+ years younger.

I think relocating the record sales area is crucial on so many levels. Why not put them close to the entrance doors. The biggest table in the entire venue is where the lovely door ladies sit. Shorten that to a small table put the record dealers next to and opposite them. Put any overspill in the space between the toilets and the bar. Early doors on Friday half the punters were in the record area so the place looked empty when you walked in.

The music policy is a dificult one, personally I like the variety that's on offer but as I don't dance much any more I'm looking at it from a different perspective to those who do. There's no doubt that a full floor is probably the most important factor in creating an atmosphere so whilst i'm fully supportive of giving DJs full freedom in what they play but those DJs have to bear in mind that they're still responsible for a decently active dance floor.

In a way one of the main strengths of The Wilton, it's open music policy, is also it's weakness. Apart from here I'm not a big nighter goer but looking at the DJ rosters for some of the other venues they have more residents and fewer guests. This, i presume, leads to a greater consistency from one night to the next. At The Wilton, a higher proportion of guests means each night is different to the last, in some cases substantially different. Again it's something I like but it won't appeal to everyone, particularly I suspect the dancers.

Changing the start & finish times has so many pro's & con's i can't see any change that would attract substantially more punters than it would lose. Maybe a 10pm start and 6am finish might help though as it may encourage those who leave at 5ish to stay 'till the end.

Mouse said to me on Friday that we're all stakeholders in the Wilton and he needs to know what we think as long as the comments are constructive. It's noticeable that the majority of the posts have come from Wilton regulars. We're already sold on the place so in a way our opinions aren't that important, we really need to hear why people have stopped going or if they've tried it recently why haven't they come back. There were almost 3000 views on this and the Wilton events thread before Friday but the increase in punters was nowhere near the numbers that level of interest might suggest.

Kev

HI Kev

Thanks for your comments, we appreciate you taking time to put them together.

Your comments and others concerning relocating the record dealers needs to be addressed. Whether we try to make changes for the anniversary or after is the problem, as Alison mentioned, the anniversary hopefully will be busy and if so having the dealers on the lower level may make the place too congested. It's been pointed out that locating a table across from the entrance desk will cause congestion when people are trying to pay and also making it difficult to police people coming in, yes some people do try to get in without paying!! We will probably make some changes to the dealers location.

Your comments on music policy is noted and I agree that the dj's should take more responsibility for the atmosphere and the dancers on the floor.

You are quite right about the people on this thread, amost all are Wilton regulars, but all are trying help. We do need to hear comments from people that have decided not to come to venue any more. COME ON, LET'S HEAR YOUR COMMENTS!!!

I know quite a lot of people that preferred 70's and crossover left us when we pushed 60's uptempo a couple of years back.

I can remember, years back, the Wilton played everything 60's, 70's, Crossover, Modern, uptempo/midtempo/beat ballads and the dance floor was rammed all night - what happened to that?

That's more food for thought.

Boxy

Social source share

Chalks

That's what I mean,early start opens it up to more people & that's just what is needed.I'm not sure a 4am would deter the travellers as it's late enough to make it worth your while even if they don't get there a little later then the earlier start??

Cheers

Martyn

hi martin i dont have any answers to the problem of getting more in alli can do is keep turning up to support boxy and mouse i love the wilton any which way....but all this talk of travellers ....willl fill it up. car park at least with caravans and horses :thumbup::lol: ect i dont mean to make light of the problem.but the name travellers amused me....keith

Social source share

HI Kev

Thanks for your comments, we appreciate you taking time to put them together.

Your comments and others concerning relocating the record dealers needs to be addressed. Whether we try to make changes for the anniversary or after is the problem, as Alison mentioned, the anniversary hopefully will be busy and if so having the dealers on the lower level may make the place too congested. It's been pointed out that locating a table across from the entrance desk will cause congestion when people are trying to pay and also making it difficult to police people coming in, yes some people do try to get in without paying!! We will probably make some changes to the dealers location.

Your comments on music policy is noted and I agree that the dj's should take more responsibility for the atmosphere and the dancers on the floor.

You are quite right about the people on this thread, amost all are Wilton regulars, but all are trying help. We do need to hear comments from people that have decided not to come to venue any more. COME ON, LET'S HEAR YOUR COMMENTS!!!

I know quite a lot of people that preferred 70's and crossover left us when we pushed 60's uptempo a couple of years back.

I can remember, years back, the Wilton played everything 60's, 70's, Crossover, Modern, uptempo/midtempo/beat ballads and the dance floor was rammed all night - what happened to that?

That's more food for thought.

Boxy

Hi Dave

It's me again :thumbup: Is having the Wilton on a Saturday completely out of the question ? as I do feel this would attract more people & suit most peoples work schedules. Blimey I've just realised that you guys can pat yourselves on the back, again, for running the longest nighter, in the North, on a FRIDAY !!! :lol: I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone else, anywhere else in the world (ok I'm being rather dramatic) can beat 18 years for a Friday nighter ???

Just an idea

Ali x

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Hi Dave

It's me again :rolleyes: Is having the Wilton on a Saturday completely out of the question ? as I do feel this would attract more people & suit most peoples work schedules. Blimey I've just realised that you guys can pat yourselves on the back, again, for running the longest nighter, in the North, on a FRIDAY !!! :D I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone else, anywhere else in the world (ok I'm being rather dramatic) can beat 18 years for a Friday nighter ???

Just an idea

Ali x

Hi Alison

Saturdays are not possible. If they were, we would have never had Fridays - Saturdays are booked up for Wedding Days and stuff like that!!

The Wilton Allnighter is a world leader,Wow!! What about an entry in the Guiness Book of Records. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!