Record Cleaning Cloths

Hi all

I have been wondering about record cleaning cloths - sad I know yes.giflaugh.gif

I know a few people still sell them and some swear by them.

However, having read the thread where the negative effects of plastic sleeves on treasured vinyl were discussed, I have been wondering about record cleaning cloths.

Are they 'safe' and can they be recommended?

If so,which are the best and where can I get them please?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've used these in the past, had all the different cleaning Liquids etc.. recently I discovered the best thing I've come across for cleaning 45's, Baby's Wet wipes!!!

I kid you not, the cheapo Tesco variety have just enough soap solution them to make a difference on every 45 I cleaned, and that included styrene which had what looked like bad dirt in the grooves. seriously they cost nothing for a pack of eighty, called Tesco: my baby's Ultra Soft Cloth wipes, In a blue packet..

Happy cleaning!!

Mal.C.king.gif

Social source share

I've used these in the past, had all the different cleaning Liquids etc.. recently I discovered the best thing I've come across for cleaning 45's, Baby's Wet wipes!!!

I kid you not, the cheapo Tesco variety have just enough soap solution them to make a difference on every 45 I cleaned, and that included styrene which had what looked like bad dirt in the grooves. seriously they cost nothing for a pack of eighty, called Tesco: my baby's Ultra Soft Cloth wipes, In a blue packet..

Happy cleaning!!

Mal.C.king.gif

Bloody hell - hope you clean them afterwards to get the soap out of the grooves! wink.gif

Social source share

Thanks for the advice guys.

Have to say I'm still a bit sceptical given the residues issue that must exist with some cloths - especially the 'home made' varieties.

If supposedly inert plastic sleeves can damage vinyl it surprises me that residues from other products don't.

Any chemists on here care to comment please? laugh.gif

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I know a dealer that swears by window cleaner.

And that's not a joke! :hatsoff2:

I also know of one of the guys at Record Collector magazine who actually puts his records in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes and then plays them "wet". Apparently the water loosens up any ground in gunk and the needle actually lifts any crap as it plays through the grooves.

I personally have tried it and it does work for stubborn gunk but I am conscious that if left too long in a bowl of water, the record label may soak up too much of the water and either loosen the label glue or even worse, the label loses it's colouring if it's of a more pourous matt type of paper label. (eg Parkway, Special Agent WLP, Boom WLP etc.)

Just using a lint free wet cloth and a clean dry one after to "polish and dry" seems to be safe and works for me nowdays. Any gunk still left then just keep repeating the process until cleaned as best as possibly can be. :yes:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Ive used a spray that is manifactured for cleaning plastic glasses,visors,and lenses for industrial use. Being used for these means it wont scratch anything.

spray it on,leave a minute then wipe off with a micro fibre cloth to get into grooves...

not bad results but keep it off the label

dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!